DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Thoughts on fitting RCBOs (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/363258-thoughts-fitting-rcbos.html)

Bill October 23rd 13 10:50 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

Hi all, especially the knowledgeable electricians on here.

What are your thoughts on me replacing all of the MCBs in my CU with
RCBOs? At present I have 14 MCBs all protected by one 30mA RCD main
switch. Over the last few years I've had tripping problems from a
trapped L to E fault in a metal clad light unit, it too 10 years before
this became a problem! Water blowing into an extractor fan, water in an
outside light and the big issue of too many switch mode PSUs in the
house. While some of the genuine faults were a pain and time
consuming to locate the SMPSUs are something I have to live with and
they are taking my overall leakage too near the 30mA limit on the CU.

This has been brought to a head by a few trips this evening, no one
circuit being the culprit, leave any 2 or 3 MCBs off and it is happy,
just not happy with all on, I'm assuming something is leaking a bit more
than normal and has taken the main RCD to it's limit. I've left one
circuit off that has a number of SMPSUs on it and so far all is stable
again.

Yes I will turn everything off and check the trip current of the1 RCD in
case it has become overly sensitive, but NOT tonight!

So my thought was to replace the main switch/RCD with a simple switch
and then all of the MCBs with RCBOs, everything will be protected and in
the event of a real problem I don't lose the whole darn house, just the
one errant circuit.

So is it a practical idea? I think so, but would welcome any thoughts,
good or bad about doing it. I know the 17th edition suggests a split
load CU, but that would still leave me with a 50/50% split and a gamble
as to what worked and what didn't.

Yes I am competent to do it, just nervous that I may have missed a
fundamental flaw in the idea.

If it matters the CU is a Crabtree Starbreaker with a single 80A
switch/30mA RCD and 14 MCBs and a DIN mount bell transformer.

Apart from the cost, am I crazy?
--
Bill
( A different one )

Stephen[_16_] October 23rd 13 11:20 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On 23/10/2013 22:50, Bill wrote:
[...]

I have done exactly what you propose.

I previously had a MK metal clad CU with split rails.

there were 2 off 6A MCBs feeding two lighting circuits (up and down) and
4 MCBS fed from a 30mA RCD. the 4 MCBs were for cooker, immersion, left
hand side ring main, right hand side ring main.

I basically ended up replacing the entire CU with a Curve Unit. You can
get them from Denmans. I have a double pole on-off switch and can have
up to 19 RCBO's I took the opportunity to split some circuits and add
new ones.

I now have:

outside & garage lighting
ground floor lighting
first floor lighting
loft lighting
smoke, heat, CO detectors and intruder alarm
boiler & immersion
garage & outside sockets
front left sockets
front right sockets
Rear left sockets
Rear right sockets
loft sockets
Kitchen sockets
cooker

and I have 5 spare ways for the future.

since doing it, I have not had a single trip. Prior to all this, I had
all the problems you describe.

bm[_2_] October 23rd 13 11:27 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On 23/10/2013 22:50, Bill wrote:
Hi all, especially the knowledgeable electricians on here.

What are your thoughts on me replacing all of the MCBs in my CU with
RCBOs? At present I have 14 MCBs all protected by one 30mA RCD main
switch. Over the last few years I've had tripping problems from a
trapped L to E fault in a metal clad light unit, it too 10 years before
this became a problem! Water blowing into an extractor fan, water in an
outside light and the big issue of too many switch mode PSUs in the
house. While some of the genuine faults were a pain and time
consuming to locate the SMPSUs are something I have to live with and
they are taking my overall leakage too near the 30mA limit on the CU.

snip
Apart from the cost, am I crazy?

14 MCBs? Jesus H.
:D

Bill October 23rd 13 11:30 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

In message om, bm
writes
On 23/10/2013 22:50, Bill wrote:
Hi all, especially the knowledgeable electricians on here.

What are your thoughts on me replacing all of the MCBs in my CU with
RCBOs? At present I have 14 MCBs all protected by one 30mA RCD main
switch. Over the last few years I've had tripping problems from a
trapped L to E fault in a metal clad light unit, it too 10 years before
this became a problem! Water blowing into an extractor fan, water in an
outside light and the big issue of too many switch mode PSUs in the
house. While some of the genuine faults were a pain and time
consuming to locate the SMPSUs are something I have to live with and
they are taking my overall leakage too near the 30mA limit on the CU.

snip
Apart from the cost, am I crazy?

14 MCBs? Jesus H.

That isn't including the annexe, which is fed from a separate CU!!

:D

--
Bill

Bill October 23rd 13 11:46 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

In message om, bm
writes
14 MCBs? Jesus H.
:D

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/G8I...ps287ce74d.jpg
..html

--
Bill

bm[_2_] October 24th 13 12:25 AM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On 23/10/2013 23:46, Bill wrote:
In message om, bm
writes
14 MCBs? Jesus H.
:D

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/G8I...ps287ce74d.jpg
.html

LOL

Ahhhh yes, I've blunted many a drill bit in the RS PCB drill :D
God i'm getting old.

John Rumm October 24th 13 01:26 AM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On 23/10/2013 22:50, Bill wrote:

[...]

Your experience adequately illustrates why the "whole house" RCD
arrangement is deprecated - it was never a great idea, and the march of
time (and things with leaky input filters) has only made the limitations
more apparent.

Yes I will turn everything off and check the trip current of the1 RCD in
case it has become overly sensitive, but NOT tonight!

So my thought was to replace the main switch/RCD with a simple switch
and then all of the MCBs with RCBOs, everything will be protected and in
the event of a real problem I don't lose the whole darn house, just the
one errant circuit.

So is it a practical idea?

Practical - yes certainly. Its the "Rolls Royce" solution that gives the
best possible discrimination in the even of an earth fault. Obviously
its more expensive than other options.

I think so, but would welcome any thoughts,
good or bad about doing it. I know the 17th edition suggests a split
load CU, but that would still leave me with a 50/50% split and a gamble
as to what worked and what didn't.

Split load does not have to mean a 50/50 split. Some 17th edition CUs
may have say 4 RCDs and some unprotected (aka "high integrity") ways as
well (for feeding circuits that meet the requirements for not being RCD
protected). You can also arrange the split in various combinations of
ways as suits your application.

Yes I am competent to do it, just nervous that I may have missed a
fundamental flaw in the idea.

If it matters the CU is a Crabtree Starbreaker with a single 80A
switch/30mA RCD and 14 MCBs and a DIN mount bell transformer.

Without checking I don't know if you can get single module wide RCBOs
for this enclosure (and if so if there is really enough space to wire
them). You may find you need to replace the enclosure as well.

Apart from the cost, am I crazy?

No, although you probably ought to look at some pragmatic options. You
may find a combination of several RCDs covering a two or three circuits
each, plus a smaller number of RCBOs would make for a system that is
equally effective, but also leave more money to spend on improving other
aspects of the system.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm October 24th 13 01:30 AM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On 23/10/2013 23:30, Bill wrote:
In message om, bm
writes
On 23/10/2013 22:50, Bill wrote:
Hi all, especially the knowledgeable electricians on here.

What are your thoughts on me replacing all of the MCBs in my CU with
RCBOs? At present I have 14 MCBs all protected by one 30mA RCD main
switch. Over the last few years I've had tripping problems from a
trapped L to E fault in a metal clad light unit, it too 10 years before
this became a problem! Water blowing into an extractor fan, water in an
outside light and the big issue of too many switch mode PSUs in the
house. While some of the genuine faults were a pain and time
consuming to locate the SMPSUs are something I have to live with and
they are taking my overall leakage too near the 30mA limit on the CU.

snip
Apart from the cost, am I crazy?

14 MCBs? Jesus H.

That isn't including the annexe, which is fed from a separate CU!!

I was about to say, 14 sounds a bit restrictive ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Tim Watts[_2_] October 24th 13 07:35 AM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On Wednesday 23 October 2013 22:50 Bill wrote in uk.d-i-y:

[...]

I have 100% RCBOs (glad I did with the nusiance trips I had the other day!)

I have Hager. Crabtree are (or were) a good brand.

I would advise not putting all the larger RCBOs (32A rings, heaters) next to
each other - apparantly localised heat build up is a problem. I left a 1
module gap every 2-3 on mine and the middle RCBO is a low current one
(lights).

You'll probably need 1 module RCBOs - they are a lot taller than an MCB.

Is your CU tidy inside?

In the worst case, you could replace your CU with a bigger one to give you
more space.

charles October 24th 13 08:05 AM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

[Snip]

Is your CU tidy inside?

In the worst case, you could replace your CU with a bigger one to give
you more space.

The trouble with replacing the enclosure is that you have the incoming live
& neutral to deal with. You can only isolate them by removing the
"compnay" fuse. Years ago, before 'privatisation', I needed to repace my
CU and arranged for someone to come and remove the company fuse. I said to
him that I estimated it was a two hours job, if he came back and and
reconnected me then, I could put the kettle on. He came back as suggested.
Would that work these days?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Bill October 24th 13 08:17 AM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

In message , Tim Watts
writes

Thanks for the comments Tim and others, much appreciated..

I have 100% RCBOs (glad I did with the nusiance trips I had the other day!)

I have Hager. Crabtree are (or were) a good brand.

I would advise not putting all the larger RCBOs (32A rings, heaters) next to
each other - apparantly localised heat build up is a problem. I left a 1
module gap every 2-3 on mine and the middle RCBO is a low current one
(lights).

Something that I hadn't considered, thank you for that.

You'll probably need 1 module RCBOs - they are a lot taller than an MCB.

MMMMMmmmmm I think that I shall have to start looking at spec's to see
how the 2 sizes relate.

Is your CU tidy inside?

Relatively so, the spaghetti over to the right isn't as bad as it looks!
Don't panic too much about the "telephone" cable, bottom right, it is
the feed to the door bell.

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/G8I...zps52f6bcf2.jp
g.html

In the worst case, you could replace your CU with a bigger one to give you
more space.

I am fortunate that the CU is mounted on a panel that in turn is mounted
on 2" X 2" battens so there is a reasonable amount of space behind it,
unfortunately many of the cables were bundled together when it was
installed and trying to get a bit of slack to move them around may be
difficult, but not impossible. My only restriction in size is that I
cannot fit a longer unit, I would need to go for a second one above the
existing one.

--
Bill

Andy Burns[_8_] October 24th 13 08:18 AM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

charles wrote:

The trouble with replacing the enclosure is that you have the incoming live
& neutral to deal with. You can only isolate them by removing the
"compnay" fuse.

Bill would appear to have a mains/generator changeover switch before the
CU, so maybe that's less of an issue?

Dave Liquorice[_2_] October 24th 13 08:20 AM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 23:27:02 +0100, bm wrote:

14 MCBs? Jesus H.

Whats odd about that? The house has 14 spread across 4 RCDs in two
CU's. This arrangment replaced 4 wire fuses for cooker, ring main
(singular), lights (all) & garage.

As to the question, individual RCBO's seems a bit excessive. Split
load with some thought about what is "shared" will be just as
effective against the nuisance trips caused by high overall leakage.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Bill October 24th 13 08:23 AM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

In message , charles
writes
In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

[Snip]

Is your CU tidy inside?

In the worst case, you could replace your CU with a bigger one to give
you more space.

The trouble with replacing the enclosure is that you have the incoming live
& neutral to deal with. You can only isolate them by removing the
"compnay" fuse. Years ago, before 'privatisation', I needed to repace my
CU and arranged for someone to come and remove the company fuse. I said to
him that I estimated it was a two hours job, if he came back and and
reconnected me then, I could put the kettle on. He came back as suggested.
Would that work these days?

Ah ha! There was some forward planning here, an unusual event in this
house, as the CU is about 4m away from the meter and boards fuse, there
is a 100A fused switch near to the meter so that I can isolate the CU.
Plus the later addition of the generator transfer switch also gives the
same option a bit closer to the CU.

About 10 years ago my parents had a serious failure in their CU that
meant it had to be replaced. I pulled the boards fuse and then phoned
them afterwards to let them know why and to ask for it to be re-sealed.
Despite many meter readers visits, so it must have been seen, it is
still not sealed again.

--
Bill

Dave Liquorice[_2_] October 24th 13 08:26 AM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 23:20:47 +0100, Stephen wrote:

boiler & immersion

Hum, so if a leakage fault develops in the immersion (fairly common)
it trips off the heating... Remember N-E faults can trip and RCD,
though I guess the immersion switch will be DP. Still makes it harder
to work on one or the other independantly though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Bill October 24th 13 08:45 AM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

In message , John
Rumm writes

Hi John and others for your comments, all appreciated.

Your experience adequately illustrates why the "whole house" RCD
arrangement is deprecated - it was never a great idea, and the march of
time (and things with leaky input filters) has only made the
limitations more apparent.

Indeed, filtering is all well and good, but causes lots of other issues.

So is it a practical idea?

Practical - yes certainly. Its the "Rolls Royce" solution that gives
the best possible discrimination in the even of an earth fault.
Obviously its more expensive than other options.

Although cost is, obviously, a factor I feel it would be worth it to
only lose one circuit in the event of a fault. I can only see things
getting worse with more electronics making their way into homes and so
more filtering, unless of course they are manufactured in a well known
far East country where the various components are very obviously missing
from the PSUs by the empty holes in the PCBs, Maybe that is an
advantage of some of these dodgy imports??? There is no leakage from
the filtering because they omitted it to save 5p per unit. But that
is another discussion for another day...

Split load does not have to mean a 50/50 split. Some 17th edition CUs
may have say 4 RCDs and some unprotected (aka "high integrity") ways as
well (for feeding circuits that meet the requirements for not being RCD
protected). You can also arrange the split in various combinations of
ways as suits your application.

Yes, sorry, badly phrased on my part there. I should have just said
split.

Yes I am competent to do it, just nervous that I may have missed a
fundamental flaw in the idea.

If it matters the CU is a Crabtree Starbreaker with a single 80A
switch/30mA RCD and 14 MCBs and a DIN mount bell transformer.

Without checking I don't know if you can get single module wide RCBOs
for this enclosure (and if so if there is really enough space to wire
them). You may find you need to replace the enclosure as well.

If no one puts me off the ideas I'm having then checking physical sizes
is next on the agenda. Hopefully in the same enclosure, I'm not too
worried about doing that. But if it came to a new enclosure then the
panic will set in! Although there is plenty of space behind the CU, I
would not look forward too much to replacing it.

Apart from the cost, am I crazy?

No, although you probably ought to look at some pragmatic options. You
may find a combination of several RCDs covering a two or three circuits
each, plus a smaller number of RCBOs would make for a system that is
equally effective, but also leave more money to spend on improving
other aspects of the system.

To get a quick, ball park, idea of cost I checked on TLC's web site
earlier and although scary I managed to not quite fall off my chair. So
if it does come to it I'm hopeful to find a slightly cheaper route.

I'm quite happy with the rest of the electrics in the house, all bar one
slight anomaly which I can easily sort out, just waiting on a round tuit
appearing.

--
Bill

Mike Tomlinson October 24th 13 09:05 AM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

In article , Bill
writes

While some of the genuine faults were a pain and time
consuming to locate the SMPSUs are something I have to live with and
they are taking my overall leakage too near the 30mA limit on the CU.

Aren't you allowed to replace the RCD with a 100mA one in these
circumstances? That would be cheaper than replacing the existing RCD
and all the breakers.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Dave Liquorice[_2_] October 24th 13 09:50 AM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 09:05:12 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

... they are taking my overall leakage too near the 30mA limit on

the
CU.

Aren't you allowed to replace the RCD with a 100mA one in these
circumstances?

The RCD is for shock protection. Pretty sure that has to be 30 mA.

100mA ones are for circuit protection and normally time delayed to
provide discrimination against downstream 30 mA shock protection
RCDs.

--
Cheers
Dave.

[email protected] October 24th 13 09:54 AM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On Thursday, 24 October 2013 08:05:49 UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article , Tim Watts

wrote:

[Snip]

Is your CU tidy inside?

In the worst case, you could replace your CU with a bigger one to give

you more space.

The trouble with replacing the enclosure is that you have the incoming live

& neutral to deal with. You can only isolate them by removing the

"compnay" fuse. Years ago, before 'privatisation', I needed to repace my

CU and arranged for someone to come and remove the company fuse. I said to

him that I estimated it was a two hours job, if he came back and and

reconnected me then, I could put the kettle on. He came back as suggested.

Would that work these days?

I replaced my CU in 2005. EDF said I booking slots were 'morning' and 'evening'. I booked a disconnect and reconnect* for the morning, and connected an isolation switch with dangling tails. When the guy came round, slightly confused by the work request, I explained I wanted him to disconnect the old CU and reconnect to the isolation switch.

He did it, but he was deeply unhappy about it, and came back in the evening so he could test it, which meant plugging in a socket tester. *ALL* he cared about was that I had phase and neutral the right way round (possibly what he was actually testing was that he'd connected them the right way round!).

As far as I can see, if I'd had the isolation switch connected to a CU mounted somewhere random (but legal), connected to a single socket, he'd have been perfectly happy with my proposed arrangement - so that's what I'll do next time, particularly because then I'd have power while working on the old setup.

* The hardest bit was actually booking it. After calling Powergen, then EDF, then Powergen, then EDF, I discovered the magic words 'disconnect' and 'reconnect', which enabled the person answering the phone to connect their brain to their fingers. They don't apparently have any idea what the words mean, so explaining what you want doesn't get you anywhere.

Tim Watts[_2_] October 24th 13 11:56 AM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On Thursday 24 October 2013 08:05 charles wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

[Snip]

Is your CU tidy inside?

In the worst case, you could replace your CU with a bigger one to give
you more space.

The trouble with replacing the enclosure is that you have the incoming
live
& neutral to deal with. You can only isolate them by removing the
"compnay" fuse. Years ago, before 'privatisation', I needed to repace my
CU and arranged for someone to come and remove the company fuse. I said
to him that I estimated it was a two hours job, if he came back and and
reconnected me then, I could put the kettle on. He came back as
suggested.
Would that work these days?

The might come back 6 hours later and charge you £35 - happened to me, with
EDF.

I installed an isolator in the meter box at the same time.

Tim Watts[_2_] October 24th 13 11:58 AM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On Thursday 24 October 2013 09:05 Mike Tomlinson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article , Bill
writes

While some of the genuine faults were a pain and time
consuming to locate the SMPSUs are something I have to live with and
they are taking my overall leakage too near the 30mA limit on the CU.

Aren't you allowed to replace the RCD with a 100mA one in these
circumstances? That would be cheaper than replacing the existing RCD
and all the breakers.

No.

Tim Watts[_2_] October 24th 13 12:00 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On Thursday 24 October 2013 09:50 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 09:05:12 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

... they are taking my overall leakage too near the 30mA limit on

the
CU.

Aren't you allowed to replace the RCD with a 100mA one in these
circumstances?

The RCD is for shock protection. Pretty sure that has to be 30 mA.

Yes and I'm absolutely sure - not only 30mA trip, but 40mS disconenct time
(at 5x30mA fault IIRC, but in practise, all of mine trip 40mS at 1x30mA
fault).

John Rumm October 24th 13 12:45 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On 24/10/2013 08:45, Bill wrote:
[...]

Something to keep in mind is that its more difficult to wire a box full
of RCBOs unless the wiring is very tidy. So you may well be faced with
needing to pretty much "start again" anyway to have a hope of getting it
all neatly dressed in the box. Hence the effort difference between
keeping the box and installing a new one may be less than you expect.

No, although you probably ought to look at some pragmatic options. You
may find a combination of several RCDs covering a two or three
circuits each, plus a smaller number of RCBOs would make for a system
that is equally effective, but also leave more money to spend on
improving other aspects of the system.

To get a quick, ball park, idea of cost I checked on TLC's web site
earlier and although scary I managed to not quite fall off my chair. So
if it does come to it I'm hopeful to find a slightly cheaper route.

You could probably find a solution that just uses three or four RCBOs,
and then two or three normal RCDs that in practice will work just as
well. Just identify which circuits are likely to be high leakage (lots
of IT kit, mineral insulated heating elements, water in proximity etc),
stuff that is liable to genuine earth fault (circuits outside, socket
circuits), and then "other" which is low leakage and risk - lighting,
smoke alarms etc.

I'm quite happy with the rest of the electrics in the house, all bar one
slight anomaly which I can easily sort out, just waiting on a round tuit
appearing.

TLC might have em ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm October 24th 13 01:05 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On 24/10/2013 08:17, Bill wrote:
In message , Tim Watts
writes

Is your CU tidy inside?

Relatively so, the spaghetti over to the right isn't as bad as it looks!
Don't panic too much about the "telephone" cable, bottom right, it is
the feed to the door bell.

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/G8I...zps52f6bcf2.jp
g.html

There's not much spare height there for single module RCBOs...

In the worst case, you could replace your CU with a bigger one to give
you
more space.

I am fortunate that the CU is mounted on a panel that in turn is mounted
on 2" X 2" battens so there is a reasonable amount of space behind it,
unfortunately many of the cables were bundled together when it was
installed and trying to get a bit of slack to move them around may be
difficult, but not impossible. My only restriction in size is that I
cannot fit a longer unit, I would need to go for a second one above the
existing one.

You may have to crimp extensions onto some of the circuit ends...
especially if the neutrals have been cut shorter than the lives (they
both need to reach the RCBO)

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm October 24th 13 01:08 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On 24/10/2013 09:05, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Bill
writes

While some of the genuine faults were a pain and time
consuming to locate the SMPSUs are something I have to live with and
they are taking my overall leakage too near the 30mA limit on the CU.

Aren't you allowed to replace the RCD with a 100mA one in these
circumstances?

No now. There may have been times in the past where that was appropriate
- but only where the RCD was there to protect the circuit and reduce
fire risk, not if its purpose was shock protection.

That would be cheaper than replacing the existing RCD
and all the breakers.

It would only be fixing a symptom rather than the actual problem. It
would also mean you no longer have adequate shock protection on the
circuits that really need it.

--
Cheers,

John.

RobertL October 24th 13 02:15 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:23:49 AM UTC+1, Bill wrote:

Despite many meter readers visits, so it must have been seen, it is
still not sealed again.

They don't seem bothered any more. I had a CU replaced a few years ago and they cut the seal and pulled the EB fuse but nobody has commented on it being missing.

Do they have some fancy way of detecting meter bypasses these days?

Robert

Mike Tomlinson October 24th 13 03:44 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice writes

The RCD is for shock protection. Pretty sure that has to be 30 mA.

100mA ones are for circuit protection and normally time delayed to
provide discrimination against downstream 30 mA shock protection
RCDs.

Ta.

We had a computer suite with ~15 PCs which regularly tripped the 30mA
RCD feeding the room. I'm pretty sure the sparky's fix was to change
the 30mA RCD for a 100mA one.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Tim Watts[_2_] October 24th 13 04:33 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On Thursday 24 October 2013 15:44 Mike Tomlinson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice writes

The RCD is for shock protection. Pretty sure that has to be 30 mA.

100mA ones are for circuit protection and normally time delayed to
provide discrimination against downstream 30 mA shock protection
RCDs.

Ta.

We had a computer suite with ~15 PCs which regularly tripped the 30mA
RCD feeding the room. I'm pretty sure the sparky's fix was to change
the 30mA RCD for a 100mA one.

That's allowed (I think!) because it is a non domestic installation.

chris French October 24th 13 05:52 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

In message ,
RobertL writes
On Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:23:49 AM UTC+1, Bill wrote:

Despite many meter readers visits, so it must have been seen, it is
still not sealed again.

They don't seem bothered any more. I had a CU replaced a few years ago
and they cut the seal and pulled the EB fuse but nobody has commented
on it being missing.

In these days of out-sourced meter readers etc. they probably don't care
--
Chris French

SteveW[_2_] October 24th 13 06:01 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On 24/10/2013 08:45, Bill wrote:

SNIP

If no one puts me off the ideas I'm having then checking physical sizes
is next on the agenda. Hopefully in the same enclosure, I'm not too
worried about doing that. But if it came to a new enclosure then the
panic will set in! Although there is plenty of space behind the CU, I
would not look forward too much to replacing it.

I am assuming that this is a plastic enclosure? If so is the pull down
cover for the MCBs in the middle vertically or much nearer the bottom
than the top? The reason I ask is that I've looked at this and all the
Starbreakers I see online have the door low down and can take RCBOs with
no problem (although they have to be Crabtree ones, as they plug into
the busbar and are not of conventional design) - my own on the other
hand has the door in the middle and I don't think that there is enough
room for RCBOs.

SteveW

SteveW[_2_] October 24th 13 06:07 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On 24/10/2013 18:01, SteveW wrote:
On 24/10/2013 08:45, Bill wrote:

SNIP

[...]

Ah, couldn't get the photo to work before, now I've seen it, it is the
version that will take RCBOs.

SteveW

ARW October 24th 13 06:17 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

Bill wrote:
[...]

Whip off the front cover and take a photo of the inside of the CU. That
looks like the SB6000 and you cannot get single module RCBOs for that model.
And it would be cheaper to replace the CU considering Crabtrees prices.

--
Adam

ARW October 24th 13 06:29 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

chris French wrote:
In message ,
RobertL writes
On Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:23:49 AM UTC+1, Bill wrote:

Despite many meter readers visits, so it must have been seen, it is
still not sealed again.

They don't seem bothered any more. I had a CU replaced a few years
ago and they cut the seal and pulled the EB fuse but nobody has
commented on it being missing.

In these days of out-sourced meter readers etc. they probably don't
care

****ing did care when they turned up and they could see that I had connected
straight into a cut out without a meter:-)

--
Adam

Bill October 24th 13 07:06 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

In message , John
Rumm writes

I am fortunate that the CU is mounted on a panel that in turn is mounted
on 2" X 2" battens so there is a reasonable amount of space behind it,
unfortunately many of the cables were bundled together when it was
installed and trying to get a bit of slack to move them around may be
difficult, but not impossible. My only restriction in size is that I
cannot fit a longer unit, I would need to go for a second one above the
existing one.

You may have to crimp extensions onto some of the circuit ends...
especially if the neutrals have been cut shorter than the lives (they
both need to reach the RCBO)

I am reminded of a photo that surfaces on here occasionally of some ones
install where they fitted a separate DIN rail box and then patched into
the CU, an exceptionally neat job.

But yes, I had worried about that, fortunately I use crimps a lot and
I'm quite used to them, they will take up a bit of space and aren't very
flexible though. Unless I do them behind the board maybe?

--
Bill

Bill October 24th 13 07:25 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

In message , ARW
writes

If it matters the CU is a Crabtree Starbreaker with a single 80A
switch/30mA RCD and 14 MCBs and a DIN mount bell transformer.

Apart from the cost, am I crazy?

Bill.

Whip off the front cover and take a photo of the inside of the CU. That
looks like the SB6000 and you cannot get single module RCBOs for that model.
And it would be cheaper to replace the CU considering Crabtrees prices.

There should be one at

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/G8I...zps52f6bcf2.jp
g.html

If I do end up having to use something else do you recommend any one in
particular?
--
Bill

chris French October 24th 13 07:50 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

In message , Bill
writes
In message , John
Rumm writes

I am fortunate that the CU is mounted on a panel that in turn is mounted
on 2" X 2" battens so there is a reasonable amount of space behind it,
unfortunately many of the cables were bundled together when it was
installed and trying to get a bit of slack to move them around may be
difficult, but not impossible. My only restriction in size is that I
cannot fit a longer unit, I would need to go for a second one above the
existing one.

You may have to crimp extensions onto some of the circuit ends...
especially if the neutrals have been cut shorter than the lives (they
both need to reach the RCBO)

I am reminded of a photo that surfaces on here occasionally of some
ones install where they fitted a separate DIN rail box and then
patched into the CU, an exceptionally neat job.

sounds like Anndrew Gabriel's
--
Chris French

Stephen[_16_] October 24th 13 08:53 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On 24/10/2013 18:17, ARW wrote:
Bill wrote:
[...]

And Denmans do good value Bundle deals.... you can get a 10 or 14 way
Curve CU with your choice of 10 RCBOs for around 100 quid plus vat.

Piers October 24th 13 08:56 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On 24/10/2013 08:05, charles wrote:
In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

[Snip]

Is your CU tidy inside?

In the worst case, you could replace your CU with a bigger one to give
you more space.

The trouble with replacing the enclosure is that you have the incoming live
& neutral to deal with. You can only isolate them by removing the
"compnay" fuse. Years ago, before 'privatisation', I needed to repace my
CU and arranged for someone to come and remove the company fuse. I said to
him that I estimated it was a two hours job, if he came back and and
reconnected me then, I could put the kettle on. He came back as suggested.
Would that work these days?

When I moved in the seal was already broken on the main incomer. So
while doing some electrical work which required me to pull the main fuse
I also fitted a DP isolator (to the meter board) and then replaced the
fuse + broken seal (still broken).

A few years later we had a meter replacement. The chappie didn't even
mention the broken seal, replaced the meter (still connected in my
isolator) and then resealed the main fuse.

Stephen[_16_] October 24th 13 09:08 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On 23/10/2013 23:27, bm wrote:
On 23/10/2013 22:50, Bill wrote:
Hi all, especially the knowledgeable electricians on here.

What are your thoughts on me replacing all of the MCBs in my CU with
RCBOs? At present I have 14 MCBs all protected by one 30mA RCD main
switch. Over the last few years I've had tripping problems from a
trapped L to E fault in a metal clad light unit, it too 10 years before
this became a problem! Water blowing into an extractor fan, water in an
outside light and the big issue of too many switch mode PSUs in the
house. While some of the genuine faults were a pain and time
consuming to locate the SMPSUs are something I have to live with and
they are taking my overall leakage too near the 30mA limit on the CU.

snip
Apart from the cost, am I crazy?

14 MCBs? Jesus H.
:D

I wanted a high level of discrimination. thats why the outside lights
are on their own RCBO, the outside sockets are on their own RCBO. That
way I don't care if any faults develop outside as it wont affect the
rest of the house.

Similar reasoning for the smoke dets co dets, heat dets and alarm system
being on their own RCBO, that way any faults elsewhere do not then
affect H&S or flatten the standby batteries.

SImilar reasoning for teh boiler being on its own RCBO. it won't get
affected by any faults elsewhere in teh house, and during winter with a
frost protection device, prevent the pipes from freezing and the house
then flooding.

So I ended up with whats called a high integrity CU.

Stephen[_16_] October 24th 13 09:15 PM

Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

Split load does not have to mean a 50/50 split. Some 17th edition CUs
may have say 4 RCDs and some unprotected (aka "high integrity") ways as
well (for feeding circuits that meet the requirements for not being RCD
protected). You can also arrange the split in various combinations of
ways as suits your application.

One thing to bear in mind. a single RCD will take at least the same
width as two or possibly 3 MCBs. WIth 4 RCD's you're loosing space for
for your MCB's.

The beauty of a RCBO is that in the same width as a single MCB, you are
combining RCD and MCB functionality in one.

So with a 19 module wide CU, two is taken up with 2 pole isolator,
leaving you with 17 spare ways.

you can then either fit:

(a) 4 RCDs (assume double width so thats 8 ways taken) and then up to 9
MCBs for up to 9 circuits, and still have the issue of 2 or more
circuits losing power when 1 RCD trips.

or

(b) fit up to 17 RCBO's, have up to 17 circuits and if any one RCBO
trips, only one circuit is affected, leaving the rest alone.

I know which I'd prefer..... :-)

Yes I am competent to do it, just nervous that I may have missed a
fundamental flaw in the idea.

The things in my limited experience is that:

You need to ensure that your choice of CU *can* accommodate RCBOs

It often helps if you use the same make for both teh CU and the RCBOs.