DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Oops - clean charcoal off (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/363226-oops-clean-charcoal-off.html)

[email protected] October 23rd 13 08:57 AM

Oops - clean charcoal off

Or more precisely, charporridge. Its welded firmly to the ceramic container. What's the easiest way to clean it off?

thanks, NT

Chris J Dixon October 23rd 13 09:18 AM

Oops - clean charcoal off

wrote:

Or more precisely, charporridge. Its welded firmly to the ceramic container. What's the easiest way to clean it off?

I'd start with a long soak. Let time do the work.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Tim Watts[_2_] October 23rd 13 09:25 AM

Oops - clean charcoal off

On Wednesday 23 October 2013 08:57 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Or more precisely, charporridge. Its welded firmly to the ceramic
container. What's the easiest way to clean it off?

thanks, NT

Angle grinder

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog:
http://squiddy.blog.dionic.net/

Bob Minchin[_4_] October 23rd 13 09:46 AM

Oops - clean charcoal off

Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 23 October 2013 08:57 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Or more precisely, charporridge. Its welded firmly to the ceramic
container. What's the easiest way to clean it off?

thanks, NT

Angle grinder

1 Soak with bio washing power/liquid

2 Make note to self to cook porridge in the microwave in future

chris French October 23rd 13 10:32 AM

Oops - clean charcoal off

In message ,
writes
Or more precisely, charporridge. Its welded firmly to the ceramic
container. What's the easiest way to clean it off?

I usually give a good long soak with some dissolved dishwasher powder
first. But friends of ours recently had success with a soak with a
bicarb solution.
--
Chris French

[email protected] October 23rd 13 12:18 PM

Oops - clean charcoal off

On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:46:37 AM UTC+1, Bob Minchin wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 23 October 2013 08:57 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Or more precisely, charporridge. Its welded firmly to the ceramic
container. What's the easiest way to clean it off?

Angle grinder

1 Soak with bio washing power/liquid
2 Make note to self to cook porridge in the microwave in future

Its currently getting a soak in bleach, after a small test showed it working well. I'll add some washing powder too. It was cooked in the microwave :/

I'll admit I'm tempted by the angle grinder option...

NT

Bob Minchin[_4_] October 23rd 13 01:51 PM

Oops - clean charcoal off

wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Or more precisely, charporridge. Its welded firmly to the ceramic
container. What's the easiest way to clean it off?

Angle grinder

1 Soak with bio washing power/liquid
2 Make note to self to cook porridge in the microwave in future

Its currently getting a soak in bleach, after a small test showed it working well. I'll add some washing powder too. It was cooked in the microwave :/

I'll admit I'm tempted by the angle grinder option...

NT

Surprised you had a problem in a microwave unless the timer was set too
long.
My brew is 2 egg cups of oats, 5 of milk and uWave for 5 mins in a bowl
that could take double the quantity. Open the door immediately that it
is done to avoid steaming up the oven.

Roger Mills[_2_] October 23rd 13 07:08 PM

Oops - clean charcoal off

wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Or more precisely, charporridge. Its welded firmly to the ceramic
container. What's the easiest way to clean it off?

Angle grinder

1 Soak with bio washing power/liquid
2 Make note to self to cook porridge in the microwave in future

Its currently getting a soak in bleach, after a small test showed it working well. I'll add some washing powder too. It was cooked in the microwave :/

I'll admit I'm tempted by the angle grinder option...

NT

Nah, that's a bit drastic - but you could try a pressure washer (used
outside, of course!)
--
Cheers,
Roger

ARW October 23rd 13 07:32 PM

Oops - clean charcoal off

wrote:
Or more precisely, charporridge. Its welded firmly to the ceramic
container. What's the easiest way to clean it off?

thanks, NT

Tell the OH that it needs cleaning.

--
Adam

[email protected] October 23rd 13 08:10 PM

Oops - clean charcoal off

wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Or more precisely, charporridge. Its welded firmly to the ceramic
container. What's the easiest way to clean it off?

Angle grinder

1 Soak with bio washing power/liquid
2 Make note to self to cook porridge in the microwave in future

Its currently getting a soak in bleach, after a small test showed it working well. I'll add some washing powder too. It was cooked in the microwave :/

I'll admit I'm tempted by the angle grinder option...

Surprised you had a problem in a microwave unless the timer was set too
long.
My brew is 2 egg cups of oats, 5 of milk and uWave for 5 mins in a bowl
that could take double the quantity. Open the door immediately that it
is done to avoid steaming up the oven.

It got 15 minutes on full - full being 1kW of nukage. Its cleaning up nicely, but gradually.

NT

Stuart Noble October 23rd 13 08:30 PM

Oops - clean charcoal off

On 23/10/2013 20:10, wrote:

It got 15 minutes on full - full being 1kW of nukage. Its cleaning up
nicely, but gradually.

NT

7 minutes is about right for a cup of oats

John Rumm October 23rd 13 08:31 PM

Oops - clean charcoal off

wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Or more precisely, charporridge. Its welded firmly to the ceramic
container. What's the easiest way to clean it off?

Angle grinder

1 Soak with bio washing power/liquid
2 Make note to self to cook porridge in the microwave in future

Its currently getting a soak in bleach, after a small test showed it working well. I'll add some washing powder too. It was cooked in the microwave :/

I'll admit I'm tempted by the angle grinder option...

Surprised you had a problem in a microwave unless the timer was set too
long.
My brew is 2 egg cups of oats, 5 of milk and uWave for 5 mins in a bowl
that could take double the quantity. Open the door immediately that it
is done to avoid steaming up the oven.

It got 15 minutes on full - full being 1kW of nukage. Its cleaning up nicely, but gradually.

Was this breakfast or an experiment in home fusion? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

The Medway Handyman October 23rd 13 08:48 PM

Oops - clean charcoal off

wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Or more precisely, charporridge. Its welded firmly to the ceramic
container. What's the easiest way to clean it off?

Angle grinder

1 Soak with bio washing power/liquid
2 Make note to self to cook porridge in the microwave in future

Its currently getting a soak in bleach, after a small test showed it working well. I'll add some washing powder too. It was cooked in the microwave :/

I'll admit I'm tempted by the angle grinder option...

NT

Bleach ain't gonna do a lot.

Bung in a dishwasher tablet.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

The Medway Handyman October 23rd 13 08:50 PM

Oops - clean charcoal off

On 23/10/2013 09:46, Bob Minchin wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 23 October 2013 08:57 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Or more precisely, charporridge. Its welded firmly to the ceramic
container. What's the easiest way to clean it off?

thanks, NT

Angle grinder

1 Soak with bio washing power/liquid

2 Make note to self to cook porridge in the microwave in future

3 Don't eat porridge. Tastes like a mixture of sawdust & wallpaper
paste. Have a bacon sarnie instead.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

polygonum October 23rd 13 09:14 PM

Oops - clean charcoal off

On 23/10/2013 08:57, wrote:
Or more precisely, charporridge. Its welded firmly to the ceramic container. What's the easiest way to clean it off?

thanks, NT

The one time I made a real mistake of that nature (not simply burning a
bit on the bottom), it was soup. Well it started as soup. Left over a
low gas burner for a whole day while I was out.

When I came back, there was only a lump of loose charcoal - look more
like coke. Pan seemed quite clean, considering. Used it regularly for
many years afterwards.

--
Rod

Stuart Noble October 24th 13 08:55 AM

Oops - clean charcoal off

3 Don't eat porridge. Tastes like a mixture of sawdust & wallpaper

Not when you've added the honey and Greek yoghourt

Chris J Dixon October 24th 13 11:59 AM

Oops - clean charcoal off

stuart noble wrote:

3 Don't eat porridge. Tastes like a mixture of sawdust & wallpaper

Not when you've added the honey and Greek yoghourt

Are we heading towards something like the stone soup recipe here?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

fred[_8_] October 24th 13 12:32 PM

Oops - clean charcoal off

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:55:36 AM UTC+1, stuart noble wrote:
3 Don't eat porridge. Tastes like a mixture of sawdust & wallpaper

Not when you've added the honey and Greek yoghourt

No no. Brown sugar, milk, a dash of cream and a nip of Drambuie. Had this for breakfast last Sunday and it was delicious.

Stuart Noble October 24th 13 02:32 PM

Oops - clean charcoal off

On 24/10/2013 12:32, fred wrote:
On Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:55:36 AM UTC+1, stuart noble wrote:
3 Don't eat porridge. Tastes like a mixture of sawdust &
wallpaper

Not when you've added the honey and Greek yoghourt

No no. Brown sugar, milk, a dash of cream and a nip of Drambuie. Had
this for breakfast last Sunday and it was delicious.

I'll try that on Weetabix

[email protected] October 24th 13 06:35 PM

Oops - clean charcoal off

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 21:14:27 +0100, polygonum
wrote:

On 23/10/2013 08:57, wrote:
Or more precisely, charporridge. Its welded firmly to the ceramic container. What's the easiest way to clean it off?

thanks, NT

The one time I made a real mistake of that nature (not simply burning a
bit on the bottom), it was soup. Well it started as soup. Left over a
low gas burner for a whole day while I was out.

When I came back, there was only a lump of loose charcoal - look more
like coke. Pan seemed quite clean, considering. Used it regularly for
many years afterwards.

For me it was reheating some macorini cheese under a low grill before
going on a pub crawl Easter 1975. At least it was Easter when it went
under some mates called around early for a planned long distance pub
crawl and i forgot the grill ,the pub crawl got out of hand and we
ended up in Switzerland.
It was about 8 days later I returned home and the macaroni looked just
like those charcoal sticks that were seen in the art class at school.
Got the dish reasonably clean in a caustic bath at work but some black
scale never came off.

G.Harman

The Medway Handyman October 24th 13 06:50 PM

Oops - clean charcoal off

On 24/10/2013 08:55, stuart noble wrote:

3 Don't eat porridge. Tastes like a mixture of sawdust & wallpaper

Not when you've added the honey and Greek yoghourt

Then it would taste of sweet, milky sawdust & wallpaper.

The Medway Handyman October 24th 13 06:51 PM

Oops - clean charcoal off

On 24/10/2013 14:32, stuart noble wrote:
On 24/10/2013 12:32, fred wrote:
On Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:55:36 AM UTC+1, stuart noble wrote:
3 Don't eat porridge. Tastes like a mixture of sawdust &
wallpaper

Not when you've added the honey and Greek yoghourt

No no. Brown sugar, milk, a dash of cream and a nip of Drambuie. Had
this for breakfast last Sunday and it was delicious.

I'll try that on Weetabix

I'll try it on a bacon sarnie. Only the Drambuie....

[email protected] October 25th 13 01:13 AM

Oops - clean charcoal off

wrote in uk.d-i-y:

[...]

:) Now that you mention it.... I do want to try pyrolysis some time. I guess I did *funny_expresssion*

PS the bleach works perfectly. By the time I went to add washing powder the tray the bowl had welded to was already fully clean.

NT

fred[_8_] October 25th 13 08:47 AM

Oops - clean charcoal off

wrote:

On 23/10/2013 08:57, wrote:

[...]

......and the electric or gas bill ?

[email protected] October 25th 13 09:52 AM

Oops - clean charcoal off

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 00:47:12 -0700 (PDT), fred
wrote:

For me it was reheating some macorini cheese under a low grill before

going on a pub crawl Easter 1975. At least it was Easter when it went

under some mates called around early for a planned long distance pub

crawl and i forgot the grill ,the pub crawl got out of hand and we

ended up in Switzerland.

It was about 8 days later I returned home

.....and the electric or gas bill ?

Ameliorated by no heating , lighting or TV etc use for the period.
In any case compared to the cost of the journey insignificant,Bank
manager was most displeased as a letter from him with some concerns
arrived a day after we left. In them days when cashing a cheque at an
European bank they marked a little box in the back of the cheque
book,I always renewed before one ran out so had 3 of them to use in
sequence. Technically it was fraud or something I suppose but what the
heck,you only pass through late teenage fun years once.
Ironically I took on a Sunday job basically a very posh paper round to
clear the over draught and the bank manager was one of the customers
and ended up owing me money,
when it came to settling up he proffered a cheque,it was hard to keep
a straight face when i replied" only with a bankers card". having
never actaully met me he only twigged who I was when asking for my
name as it was on my account to write it.

G.Harman

G.Harman

Stuart Noble October 25th 13 10:10 AM

Oops - clean charcoal off

wrote in uk.d-i-y:

[...]

IIRC household bleach is around ph10, so probably the equivalent
cleaning power of washing soda. Actually, the latter didn't work all
that well for me as a grill pan cleaner recently, but I had a toddler
running around so couldn't use caustic. Wish I knew where to get the gel
used by the pro oven cleaning firms