Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Draining CH

I've got plasterers in over the next couple of weeks, so the radiators
will need to be moved. I'm quite happy to do this, having read the
instructions on draining the boiler (an Ideal Logic combi), and assuming
the system will drain down without too much bother (recently fitted
drain valve). While it's drained I can also fit a radiator in the
kitchen, and heated towel rail in the bathroom.

Anyway, is it OK to leave the system drained for say 2 weeks? I suppose
my main concern is corrosion. While the boiler is newish the radiators
are quite old (15yrs maybe), and apparently all manner of gunk came out
when the boiler was replaced.

Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2013 11:44, RJH wrote:
I've got plasterers in over the next couple of weeks, so the radiators
will need to be moved. I'm quite happy to do this, having read the
instructions on draining the boiler (an Ideal Logic combi), and assuming
the system will drain down without too much bother (recently fitted
drain valve). While it's drained I can also fit a radiator in the
kitchen, and heated towel rail in the bathroom.

Anyway, is it OK to leave the system drained for say 2 weeks? I suppose
my main concern is corrosion. While the boiler is newish the radiators
are quite old (15yrs maybe), and apparently all manner of gunk came out
when the boiler was replaced.

Cheers, Rob

I wouldn't worry, just refill with inhibitor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2013 11:44, RJH wrote:
I've got plasterers in over the next couple of weeks, so the radiators
will need to be moved. I'm quite happy to do this, having read the
instructions on draining the boiler (an Ideal Logic combi), and assuming
the system will drain down without too much bother (recently fitted
drain valve). While it's drained I can also fit a radiator in the
kitchen, and heated towel rail in the bathroom.

Anyway, is it OK to leave the system drained for say 2 weeks? I suppose
my main concern is corrosion. While the boiler is newish the radiators
are quite old (15yrs maybe), and apparently all manner of gunk came out
when the boiler was replaced.

Cheers, Rob

Depending on you layout you may need multiple drain points - or at least
be careful when you disconnect the radiators.

I have not had a problem leaving radiators empty for a few months whilst
I replaced the boiler.

--
Michael Chare

CH Draining Problem Stuart B[_4_] UK diy 6 April 14th 09 11:41 AM
Draining tools? Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ¬) UK diy 8 June 26th 07 07:11 PM
Draining down CH Neil UK diy 6 May 18th 07 11:53 AM
More CH draining Tony Collins UK diy 5 December 22nd 04 04:42 PM
Draining GCH System grandmainger UK diy 10 October 18th 03 03:40 PM