Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recommend me a high litres per minute compressor for £500

Work spent £500 on a compressor for me, it can only deliver two tanks of air at a time, before it gets too hot and the thermal cutout switches it off. The compressor will only be used about a month each year but when it is used it needs to produce a good volume of air. The pressure does not need to be high, but the litres per minute does.
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
misterroy writes:
Work spent £500 on a compressor for me, it can only deliver two tanks of air at a time, before it gets too hot and the thermal cutout switches it off. The compressor will only be used about a month each year but when it is used it needs to produce a good volume of air. The pressure does not need to be high, but the litres per minute does.

Which part gets too hot - the compressor or the motor?

Would the addition of forced air cooling help (e.g. a fan)?
(Make sure any such forced air cooling does not cool the
sensor directly, but cools whatever it's sensing.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, August 30, 2013 10:09:31 PM UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,

misterroy writes:

Work spent £500 on a compressor for me, it can only deliver two tanks of air at a time, before it gets too hot and the thermal cutout switches it off. The compressor will only be used about a month each year but when it is used it needs to produce a good volume of air. The pressure does not need to be high, but the litres per minute does.

Which part gets too hot - the compressor or the motor?

Would the addition of forced air cooling help (e.g. a fan)?

(Make sure any such forced air cooling does not cool the

sensor directly, but cools whatever it's sensing.)

--

Andrew Gabriel

here is the compressor http://www.aircomps.co.uk/product/bambi-budget/bambi-bb24d-silent-compressor/ the motor and compressor parts are combined, the top of the green bit is too hot to keep my hand on. I'm going to push for a replacement, 15 minutes of air per hour is not much use. I think it is interesting that something so **** can be manufactured, and then find a buyer. The compressor was "installed" by two people who drove 500 miles in their van, that must have cost over a grand on top of the compressor price.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

On the face of it you need a higher c.f.m. rate (Cubic Feet per Minute)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

here is the compressor
http://www.aircomps.co.uk/product/ba...nt-compressor/

Bloodyhell, i imagine the silent operation was a major requirement then? and
3.5 cfm is really **** all, it' the minimum requirment of most air small
tools, my direct drive noisy as hell cheapo compressor delivers about 7 cfm,

a standard belt driven twin stage compressor head, induction motor and large
tank that could do those pressures and volume would have cost half as much,
but be noisier.... tho able to run almost all day,

Those 'silent' compressors are basically large fridge compressor units, sure
they are almost silent in operation, but they are crap at shedding heat due
to the sealed insulating shroud (green bits)
in a fridge it's moving the refrigerant around, sure it's compressing it a
bit, but it is and open loop so to speak,

in an air compressor, the motors are pushing against a closed tank, thus the
pressure is increasing, and the heat rises as it gets harder and harder to
push the air into the tank,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:42:57 PM UTC+1, Gazz wrote:
[...]

I was out of the loop when the compressor was picked, this was the second one, the first was even poorer. The compressor sits in a room that is a cupboard so the noise is not going to be a big issue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Gazz" writes:

here is the compressor
http://www.aircomps.co.uk/product/ba...nt-compressor/

Bloodyhell, i imagine the silent operation was a major requirement then? and
3.5 cfm is really **** all, it' the minimum requirment of most air small
tools, my direct drive noisy as hell cheapo compressor delivers about 7 cfm,

a standard belt driven twin stage compressor head, induction motor and large
tank that could do those pressures and volume would have cost half as much,
but be noisier.... tho able to run almost all day,

Those 'silent' compressors are basically large fridge compressor units, sure
they are almost silent in operation, but they are crap at shedding heat due
to the sealed insulating shroud (green bits)
in a fridge it's moving the refrigerant around, sure it's compressing it a
bit, but it is and open loop so to speak,

In a fridge, the compressor and motor heat is carried to the condensor
(rear hot element) by the refrigerant together with the heat extracted
from inside the fridge, where the heat is dissipated to the room air.

in an air compressor, the motors are pushing against a closed tank, thus the
pressure is increasing, and the heat rises as it gets harder and harder to
push the air into the tank,

BTW, why are there two compressors? Are they in series, or parallel,
or does the other one take over when the first one gets too hot?

--
Andrew Gabriel