Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Help to diassemble sink tap

Trying to replace the washer but having problems getting the tap apart.
I have managed to get the handle off but now need to get the cover (as
indicated in the pic) off. I have tried screwing and also tapping it
upwards to try and dislodge it, to no avail.
Anyone know if its a screw fit or just sits in position or any ideas how
to get it off.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps25b2960f.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 12:13:05 +0100 Ss wrote :
Trying to replace the washer but having problems getting the tap apart.
I have managed to get the handle off but now need to get the cover (as
indicated in the pic) off. I have tried screwing and also tapping it
upwards to try and dislodge it, to no avail.
Anyone know if its a screw fit or just sits in position or any ideas how
to get it off.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps25b2960f.jpg

Usually they unscrew - you'd be best off with a rubber strap wrench
to save marking the chrome. Make sure you hold the spout with your
other hand to save damaging the basin or pipework.

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtools...skuId=11758352

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 12:13:05 +0100, ss wrote:

Anyone know if its a screw fit or just sits in position or any ideas how
to get it off.

Normally screw and can be a right barstewrd due to lime scale getting
into the thread and locking it tight.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 30/08/2013 13:08, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 12:13:05 +0100, ss wrote:

Anyone know if its a screw fit or just sits in position or any ideas how
to get it off.

Normally screw and can be a right barstewrd due to lime scale getting
into the thread and locking it tight.

I have tried a rubber strap wrench that just slips. Anything I could
let soak in overnight before I start taking drastic measures. I have
some phosphoric acid, this good or bad for soaking in? WD40?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2013 13:50, ss wrote:
On 30/08/2013 13:08, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 12:13:05 +0100, ss wrote:

Anyone know if its a screw fit or just sits in position or any ideas how
to get it off.

Normally screw and can be a right barstewrd due to lime scale getting
into the thread and locking it tight.

I have tried a rubber strap wrench that just slips. Anything I could
let soak in overnight before I start taking drastic measures. I have
some phosphoric acid, this good or bad for soaking in? WD40?

Tie a bag of houdehold vinegar around it, leave overnight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 13:50:30 +0100, ss wrote:

I have tried a rubber strap wrench that just slips.

How soft is the strap? Tried with a bit of paper between the strap
and the cover?

Anything I could let soak in overnight before I start taking drastic
measures. I have some phosphoric acid, ...

Possibly a bit stronger than I'd like for an overnight soak. See if
you can get some inside the cover down the side of the shaft
hopefully it would make it's way down to the top of the threads
inside.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
ll.co.uk:

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 13:50:30 +0100, ss wrote:

I have tried a rubber strap wrench that just slips.

How soft is the strap? Tried with a bit of paper between the strap
and the cover?

Anything I could let soak in overnight before I start taking drastic
measures. I have some phosphoric acid, ...

Possibly a bit stronger than I'd like for an overnight soak. See if
you can get some inside the cover down the side of the shaft
hopefully it would make it's way down to the top of the threads
inside.

Reminder - put grease on tap threads when they are new. (But we don't)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 30/08/2013 18:18, DerbyBorn wrote:
"Dave wrote in
ll.co.uk:

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 13:50:30 +0100, ss wrote:

I have tried a rubber strap wrench that just slips.

How soft is the strap? Tried with a bit of paper between the strap
and the cover?

Anything I could let soak in overnight before I start taking drastic
measures. I have some phosphoric acid, ...

Possibly a bit stronger than I'd like for an overnight soak. See if
you can get some inside the cover down the side of the shaft
hopefully it would make it's way down to the top of the threads
inside.

Reminder - put grease on tap threads when they are new. (But we don't)

I will put some vinegar on tonight for an overnight soak, if that fails
tomorrow I`ll go with phosphoric acid, maybe dilute a bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 18:29:44 +0100, ss wrote:

I will put some vinegar on tonight for an overnight soak, if that fails
tomorrow I`ll go with phosphoric acid, maybe dilute a bit.

And don't forget the old trick of trying to tighten it further,
anything to break the seal.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 12:13:05 +0100, ss wrote:

Trying to replace the washer but having problems getting the tap apart.
I have managed to get the handle off but now need to get the cover (as
indicated in the pic) off. I have tried screwing and also tapping it
upwards to try and dislodge it, to no avail.
Anyone know if its a screw fit or just sits in position or any ideas how
to get it off.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps25b2960f.jpg

You could try hammering all round the rim to break up the limescale
before trying to unscrew the top.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 30/08/2013 22:36, Dave W wrote:
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 12:13:05 +0100, wrote:

Trying to replace the washer but having problems getting the tap apart.
I have managed to get the handle off but now need to get the cover (as
indicated in the pic) off. I have tried screwing and also tapping it
upwards to try and dislodge it, to no avail.
Anyone know if its a screw fit or just sits in position or any ideas how
to get it off.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps25b2960f.jpg

You could try hammering all round the rim to break up the limescale
before trying to unscrew the top.

Already tried that, think if all else fails I may try something
new.....fit a chisel to my SDS and pad the end and pulverise the cover
and see what happens. After tomorrow the cosmetic aspect will be
diminished ...I will be refurbishing the bathroom within 2 years so
desperation may prevail. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 00:32:58 +0100, ss wrote:

[...]

OK then how about a blowlamp to expand the cover a bit?
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2013 00:32, ss wrote:
[...]

A few seconds with a blow torch sometimes helps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 31/08/2013 00:32, ss wrote:
[...]

Update...

Got the sleeve loosened eventually had to use mole grips, also got the
valve loosened in its seat.
Now to tackle the other tap (hot) may be more of a challenge as the nut
under the sink that tightens it to the basin has snapped off (plastic)
so will have to careful of not doing some pipe damage with twisting. The
center part that hides the screw to take the tap off is locked tight so
......here we go again. Nothing is ever straightforward.