Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gravel ?

I want to make some of my garden maintence free.

What size gravel should I use 10mm or 20mm ?

I have heard that the 10mm is particually prone to letting weeds grow
Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 28 August 2013 08:46 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I want to make some of my garden maintence free.

What size gravel should I use 10mm or 20mm ?

I have heard that the 10mm is particually prone to letting weeds grow
Jim G

Gravel sucks appearance wise and gets everywhere (esp 10mm) -

Can you afford some funky chippings? For some reason the 30-40mm size seem
less prone to problems. And you can use different colours.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2013 08:46, Jim.G1SSO wrote:
I want to make some of my garden maintence free.

What size gravel should I use 10mm or 20mm ?

I have heard that the 10mm is particually prone to letting weeds grow

Larger stones are less prone to being used as a cat litter tray. My cats
won't even walk on the 20mm chippings on parts of my garden. As for
weeds, if you have a weed control membrane, they only grow in wind blown
dirt that lodges in the stones. I don't know whether one size is more
prone to that than another, but IME, you need to lift the stones and
sieve out the dirt every few years to stop weeds.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have heard that the 10mm is particually prone to letting weeds grow

Presumably you're using weedproof matting under the gravel, so there should be no weed penetration.

Guide to what's available from my local supplier he

http://www.middaggs.co.uk/Forms_and_...ggs-Gravel.pdf

Crushed gravel locks together better when it's compacted, but not so good for vehicle tyres.

Do you want to walk over it, or drive over it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim.G1SSO writes
I want to make some of my garden maintence free.

What size gravel should I use 10mm or 20mm ?

I have used 20mm for a few jobs and it works and looks fine, a softer
and more subdued look than chippings. No need to but washed, that's what
rain or a hose is for.

For small to moderate amounts I have bought from B&Q in 25kg bags for
about 2quid a bag and on a recent buy they were doing a 25% odd discount
on purchases of 10 bags or over making it closer to bulk bag prices.
Also easier to cart 30 bags through a house with no side access than to
crane over a bulk bag.

You'll be wanting about 40mm depth for reasonable coverage, work out the
required weight by calculating volume and figuring on 1.5tonnes per
cubic metre.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 08:46:35 +0100, Jim.G1SSO wrote:

I want to make some of my garden maintence free.

What size gravel should I use 10mm or 20mm ?

Gravel/chippings are not "maintenance free". Even with a good weed
control fabric underneath plant seeds will be blown onto the top. It
will also migrate, though the larger stuff less so and if regularly
driven/walked over will need raking back every so often. Low
maintenance compared to say grass would be a better description.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2013 11:13, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 08:46:35 +0100, Jim.G1SSO wrote:

I want to make some of my garden maintence free.

What size gravel should I use 10mm or 20mm ?

Gravel/chippings are not "maintenance free". Even with a good weed
control fabric underneath plant seeds will be blown onto the top. It

It isn't bad though. Much better than bark chippings for instance.

I prefer plum slate or golden flint for cosmetic use in a low
maintenance garden. Basic cheapest gravel looks too industrial.

The nominal 20mm chippings provide fewer nooks and crannies for weed
seeds to hide in and grow and also drains and dries out faster.

will also migrate, though the larger stuff less so and if regularly
driven/walked over will need raking back every so often. Low
maintenance compared to say grass would be a better description.

You will always get a few weeds coming through on the edges and the odd
seedling too (especially after a few years when some windblown soil has
accumulated under the chippings and on top of the weedproof membrane).

Thistles and bamboo will penetrate "weed proof" membrane.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2013 09:02, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 28 August 2013 08:46 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I want to make some of my garden maintence free.

What size gravel should I use 10mm or 20mm ?

I have heard that the 10mm is particually prone to letting weeds grow
Jim G

Gravel sucks appearance wise and gets everywhere (esp 10mm) -

Can you afford some funky chippings? For some reason the 30-40mm size seem
less prone to problems. And you can use different colours.

People make four basic errors with gravel.

10mm is more like shingle & migrates.
20mm is & looks much better.
You need 'edges' all round to stop migration.
You need at least 40mm depth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway Handyman
wrote:
On 28/08/2013 09:02, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 28 August 2013 08:46 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I want to make some of my garden maintence free.

What size gravel should I use 10mm or 20mm ?

I have heard that the 10mm is particually prone to letting weeds grow
Jim G

Gravel sucks appearance wise and gets everywhere (esp 10mm) -

Can you afford some funky chippings? For some reason the 30-40mm size
seem less prone to problems. And you can use different colours.

People make four basic errors with gravel.

10mm is more like shingle & migrates. 20mm is & looks much better. You
need 'edges' all round to stop migration. You need at least 40mm depth.

you missed: it is almost impossible to cycle over.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 22:43:26 +0100, charles wrote:

People make four basic errors with gravel.

10mm is more like shingle & migrates.
20mm is & looks much better.
You need 'edges' all round to stop migration.
You need at least 40mm depth.

you missed: it is almost impossible to cycle over.

That would be a positive aspect from TMH's point of view. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 28/08/2013 09:02, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 28 August 2013 08:46 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I want to make some of my garden maintence free.

What size gravel should I use 10mm or 20mm ?

I have heard that the 10mm is particually prone to letting weeds grow
Jim G

Gravel sucks appearance wise and gets everywhere (esp 10mm) -

Can you afford some funky chippings? For some reason the 30-40mm size
seem less prone to problems. And you can use different colours.

People make four basic errors with gravel.

10mm is more like shingle & migrates. 20mm is & looks much better. You
need 'edges' all round to stop migration. You need at least 40mm depth.

you missed: it is almost impossible to cycle over.

Yet another benefit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 08:46:35 +0100, "Jim.G1SSO" wrote:

I want to make some of my garden maintence free.

What size gravel should I use 10mm or 20mm ?

I have heard that the 10mm is particually prone to letting weeds grow

20mm, mixed with cement, sand and water. It's the only way you will make gravel
maintenance free.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Other Mike
scribeth thus
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 08:46:35 +0100, "Jim.G1SSO" wrote:

I want to make some of my garden maintence free.

What size gravel should I use 10mm or 20mm ?

I have heard that the 10mm is particually prone to letting weeds grow

20mm, mixed with cement, sand and water. It's the only way you will make gravel
maintenance free.

Dunno. We have gravel outside well compacted, and it does settle so we
need to chuck a bit more on from time to time around 10 year
intervals;!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I want to make some of my garden maintence free.

What size gravel should I use 10mm or 20mm ?

I have heard that the 10mm is particually prone to letting weeds grow

20mm, mixed with cement, sand and water. It's the only way you will make
gravel maintenance free.

I have 40m2 for sale ready made - £1 for any size lot - buyer collects

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2013 08:46, Jim.G1SSO wrote:
I want to make some of my garden maintence free.

What size gravel should I use 10mm or 20mm ?

I have heard that the 10mm is particually prone to letting weeds grow
Jim G

get crushed slate ... lay Geotex underneath and no weeds.
It looks good, and stuff I use is up to 70mm in size

Why Put gravel under concrete? [email protected] Home Repair 33 April 5th 21 05:47 PM
Asphalt Driveway Over Gravel: Why The Gravel ? Bob[_44_] Home Repair 27 May 11th 16 01:44 AM
What instead of gravel? brass monkey UK diy 2 January 28th 11 05:35 PM
Gravel Thomarse UK diy 21 November 22nd 08 11:48 AM
how much does gravel compact? Doug Home Repair 3 May 10th 06 03:56 AM