Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using crimped bullet connectors for earth continuity

I'm guessing this is not kosher on the basis the connection can be quite easily pulled apart? Are there any regs on the subject? (groan like there's NOT going to be!)

ta.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 August 2013 18:05:32 UTC+2, Tim Watts wrote:

I do not see any probem with properly made crimps - a proper crimp will NOT

pull apart. It may pull apart if you use a crap halfords set of "scissor"

crimps though.

Er, bullet connectors are *supposed* to be pull-apartable and I'm concerned they may do so accidentally thereby disconnecting the earth.

One you get to main earth connections, likelihood is you will be out of

standard insulated crimps and into larger uninsulated crimps.

What is the conductor size and what type of earth are you proposing to

crimp?

230V motor grounding, 2.5mm^2 x-section earth wire. For the purposes of this temporary lash-up, I'm using the blue connectors. They ARE crimped properly, but It just doesn't seem right somehow to make this arrangement permanent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 11 August 2013 20:30 steve wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 20:13:29 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On Sunday 11 August 2013 18:47 wrote in
uk.d-i-y:

[...]

There is no problem at all with what you are doing.

Well done crimps are better than screw terminals and you'd use those
wouldn't you?

Either screws or crimped... all a bit academic if the bullet connector
has been parted...!

I shoudl clarify that I mean "crimped barrel connectors" NOT any sort of
easily seperated connector.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog:
http://squiddy.blog.dionic.net/

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 21:34:32 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

I'm sure you did mean that, but your initial advice, along with an
electrician's was wrong and could have been dangerous.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 11 August 2013 22:01 steve wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I'm sure you did mean that, but your initial advice, along with an
electrician's was wrong and could have been dangerous.

I think we all blanked out the "bullet" bit - my sanity filter certainly
removed it as a "why would anyone do that - does not compute..."?

The important thing is that it has been clarified -

1) No partable connectors

2) Crimped permanant joints are fine if done with the correct tools.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 August 2013 22:43:12 UTC+2, tony sayer wrote:

No No and three times No!. Bullet connectors are not to be used on Earth

systems.

Crimped with a good ratchet crimper and decent crimps are just fine as

good as cold welding ...

Non-sequitur alert!
I seem to have broken several otherwise-perfectly-intelligent people's brains with this simple query.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2013 21:34, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

For the avoidance of doubt:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...:BlueCrimp.jpg

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 August 2013 01:55:37 UTC+2, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Indeed. These are the 'permanent' type. I have to admit to struggling a bit these days with the crimping process (my age, no doubt). I wonder if there's a civilised alternative to those clumping great ratchet thingies you have to be Popeye to close fully? I know there are hydraulic types available for thicker cables, but it would be nifty if something similar were obtainable for the red/blue/yellow standard as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 August 2013 07:33:10 UTC+2, Tim Watts wrote:

Why are you using bullet connectors anyway? Did you not have any barrel

crimps?

Yeah, loads of them. But this was just a temporary lash-up to see if the motor functioned, so I took no trouble over cable routing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2013 13:10, Toby wrote:
On 12/08/2013 11:31, wrote:
On Monday, 12 August 2013 07:33:10 UTC+2, Tim Watts wrote:

Why are you using bullet connectors anyway? Did you not have any barrel

crimps?

Yeah, loads of them. But this was just a temporary lash-up to see if
the motor functioned, so I took no trouble over cable routing.

Would something like this be a better for testing?
http://www.burntec.com/Quick_Test_Mains_Connection_Box

(First hit on google, not necessarily the cheapest/best supplier)

Not exactly three phase though is it? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2013 22:29, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/08/2013 13:10, Toby wrote:
On 12/08/2013 11:31, wrote:
On Monday, 12 August 2013 07:33:10 UTC+2, Tim Watts wrote:

Why are you using bullet connectors anyway? Did you not have any barrel

crimps?

Yeah, loads of them. But this was just a temporary lash-up to see if
the motor functioned, so I took no trouble over cable routing.

Would something like this be a better for testing?
http://www.burntec.com/Quick_Test_Mains_Connection_Box

(First hit on google, not necessarily the cheapest/best supplier)

Not exactly three phase though is it? ;-)

Then glue two together then ;-)

--
Toby...
Remove your pants to reply