Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Prototyping board

I used to buy a prototyping board from RS in the 1980s. It was a bit like
veroboard: a single-sided pcb with a 0.1" grid of holes, but with individual
pads on the copper side instead of strips. (They might have been used for
wire-wrapping, but I used to solder to them. The non-copper side was blue.)

I can't seem to find them again. Anyone know what they might be called and
where I can buy them?

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2013 20:28, BartC wrote:
I used to buy a prototyping board from RS in the 1980s. It was a bit
like veroboard: a single-sided pcb with a 0.1" grid of holes, but with
individual pads on the copper side instead of strips. (They might have
been used for wire-wrapping, but I used to solder to them. The
non-copper side was blue.)

I can't seem to find them again. Anyone know what they might be called
and where I can buy them?

Some in the shed somewhere, might dig out an RS part number.

But, looking here, small bits are cheap (but not blue)

10pcs Universal DIY PCB Prototype Paper Matrix Circuit Board Stripboard
50x70mm
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350747230029

Key word is Matrix?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BartC laid this down on his screen :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...ect& _sacat=0

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2013 20:46, Adrian C wrote:
On 20/06/2013 20:28, BartC wrote:
I used to buy a prototyping board from RS in the 1980s. It was a bit
like veroboard: a single-sided pcb with a 0.1" grid of holes, but with
individual pads on the copper side instead of strips. (They might have
been used for wire-wrapping, but I used to solder to them. The
non-copper side was blue.)

I can't seem to find them again. Anyone know what they might be called
and where I can buy them?

Some in the shed somewhere, might dig out an RS part number.

But, looking here, small bits are cheap (but not blue)

10pcs Universal DIY PCB Prototype Paper Matrix Circuit Board Stripboard
50x70mm
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350747230029

Key word is Matrix?

Ah, having been to the shed...

Square Pad Board.

http://www.verotl.com/en/product/03-...uare+Pad+Board

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message

On 20/06/2013 20:28, BartC wrote:
I used to buy a prototyping board from RS in the 1980s. It was a bit
like veroboard: a single-sided pcb with a 0.1" grid of holes, but with
individual pads on the copper side instead of strips.

Square Pad Board.

http://www.verotl.com/en/product/03-...uare+Pad+Board

Thanks. Those are very similar to what I used.

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BartC wrote:
I used to buy a prototyping board from RS in the 1980s. It was a bit like
veroboard: a single-sided pcb with a 0.1" grid of holes, but with individual
pads on the copper side instead of strips. (They might have been used for
wire-wrapping, but I used to solder to them. The non-copper side was blue.)

I can't seem to find them again. Anyone know what they might be called and
where I can buy them?

There's hundreds of different types. Have a poke through:
http://onecall.farnell.com/prototyping-boards
(that's the union of CPC and Farnell catalogues)
Look at both 'Prototype Board' and 'Pad-per-hole'

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
BartC wrote:
I used to buy a prototyping board from RS in the 1980s. It was a bit
like veroboard: a single-sided pcb with a 0.1" grid of holes, but with
individual pads on the copper side instead of strips. (They might have
been used for wire-wrapping, but I used to solder to them. The
non-copper side was blue.)

I can't seem to find them again. Anyone know what they might be called
and where I can buy them?

Never really saw the point of them over Vero. I suppose you could pack
things in more densely - but not usually a priority for prototypes.

--
*Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Never really saw the point of them over Vero. I suppose you could pack
things in more densely - but not usually a priority for prototypes.

You can use things that aren't DIL - PGAs, PLCCs, connectors etc. You also aren't
governed by the strip layout. It's better for high speed stuff.

These days I sometimes use similar but it's all surface mount - strips would
be hopeless for that. Haven't used a DIL chip for years.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
BartC wrote:
I used to buy a prototyping board from RS in the 1980s. It was a bit
like veroboard: a single-sided pcb with a 0.1" grid of holes, but with
individual pads on the copper side instead of strips. (They might have
been used for wire-wrapping, but I used to solder to them. The
non-copper side was blue.)

Never really saw the point of them over Vero. I suppose you could pack
things in more densely - but not usually a priority for prototypes.

I did use to have quite dense layouts (over 100 ICs on one board for
example). But I liked the 100% flexibility of placement without worrying
about conforming to the strip layout, or having to cut loads of copper
strips to avoid shorts. Also my wiring was on the underside (where it was
easy to solder several thin wires to the same pad) rather than on the
component side where you might need a hole for each wire.

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes there was also something similar with no holes called rather
disgustingly blob board as I recall, you either drilled holes where you
wanted them or simply built it on the foil side. I never did figure out how
they bonded the copper to the glass fibre so well.
Brian

Email:

"Adrian C" wrote in message
On 20/06/2013 20:28, BartC wrote:
I used to buy a prototyping board from RS in the 1980s. It was a bit
like veroboard: a single-sided pcb with a 0.1" grid of holes, but with
individual pads on the copper side instead of strips. (They might have
been used for wire-wrapping, but I used to solder to them. The
non-copper side was blue.)

I can't seem to find them again. Anyone know what they might be called
and where I can buy them?

Some in the shed somewhere, might dig out an RS part number.

But, looking here, small bits are cheap (but not blue)

10pcs Universal DIY PCB Prototype Paper Matrix Circuit Board Stripboard
50x70mm
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350747230029

Key word is Matrix?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The 'genuine' ones from Vero were (and are) pretty pricey, but IMO it it
vital to go for a fibreglass-based board; the SRBP ones cause more trouble
than they are worth.

Years ago I had a stock of blue, but not Vero, such boards. I think they
came from Rapid Electronics in their earlier days.

The closest I can find in their current cataloge, and better than half the
price than the Vero ones, are these:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equ...-832-EP-Epoxy-
Experimental-Cards-160-x-100-x-1-5mm-520627

HTH
Jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Never really saw the point of them over Vero. I suppose you could pack
things in more densely - but not usually a priority for prototypes.

You can use things that aren't DIL - PGAs, PLCCs, connectors etc. You
also aren't governed by the strip layout. It's better for high speed
stuff.

I'm not quite clear how there is a difference if the hole spacing is the
same as Vero?

These days I sometimes use similar but it's all surface mount - strips
would be hopeless for that. Haven't used a DIL chip for years.

I keep clear of SM stuff. Not needed for the things I make.

--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Never really saw the point of them over Vero. I suppose you could pack
things in more densely - but not usually a priority for prototypes.

You can use things that aren't DIL - PGAs, PLCCs, connectors etc. You
also aren't governed by the strip layout. It's better for high speed
stuff.

I'm not quite clear how there is a difference if the hole spacing is the
same as Vero?

I'm assuming by Vero you mean stripboard (Vero made a wide range of
different boards). Stripboard assumes that you can use a spare hole to cut
tracks, such as under a DIL IC. Many chip (sockets) and connectors assume
several rows of adjacent pins (eg ribbon cables with 2 rows of N pins) -
where there's no spare hole to cut the tracks. It's fiddly to cut
between two holes and keep both holes usable (and not shorted).

Plus, you don't have to layout your circuit to suit the strips. That means
many fewer jumper wires. And you don't have the stray capacitance provided
by the strips.

It's also nicer to use proper fibreglass FR4 board and not the paper-based
FR2 that stripboard usually comes on.

These days I sometimes use similar but it's all surface mount - strips
would be hopeless for that. Haven't used a DIL chip for years.

I keep clear of SM stuff. Not needed for the things I make.

If your eyesight can cope with it, it's possible to make things a lot
smaller and neater...

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:
I'm not quite clear how there is a difference if the hole spacing is the
same as Vero?

I'm assuming by Vero you mean stripboard (Vero made a wide range of
different boards). Stripboard assumes that you can use a spare hole to
cut tracks, such as under a DIL IC. Many chip (sockets) and connectors
assume several rows of adjacent pins (eg ribbon cables with 2 rows of N
pins) - where there's no spare hole to cut the tracks. It's fiddly to
cut between two holes and keep both holes usable (and not shorted).

Quite easy - I use a diamond burr in my Dremel type thingie. But it's not
something often needed.

Plus, you don't have to layout your circuit to suit the strips. That
means many fewer jumper wires. And you don't have the stray capacitance
provided by the strips.

And lots of extra wires where you do need a strip. Like PS rails and
grounds.

It's also nicer to use proper fibreglass FR4 board and not the
paper-based FR2 that stripboard usually comes on.

Never had a problem with decent Vero. I do use fibreglass for the proper
PCB, though.

These days I sometimes use similar but it's all surface mount -
strips would be hopeless for that. Haven't used a DIL chip for
years.

I keep clear of SM stuff. Not needed for the things I make.

If your eyesight can cope with it, it's possible to make things a lot
smaller and neater...

Think you must mainly be dealing with computer bits and pieces. SM is
simply far too difficult for one off use. It's designed for machine
assembly.

Theo

--
*A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, June 21, 2013 12:03:13 PM UTC+1, Theo Markettos wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

8

different boards). Stripboard assumes that you can use a spare hole to cut
tracks, such as under a DIL IC. Many chip (sockets) and connectors assume
several rows of adjacent pins (eg ribbon cables with 2 rows of N pins) -
where there's no spare hole to cut the tracks. It's fiddly to cut
between two holes and keep both holes usable (and not shorted).

Stanley knife, press fairly hard. With perforated FR2 you also should rest the board underside on something to do it, like a nail in a vice.

Plus, you don't have to layout your circuit to suit the strips. That means
many fewer jumper wires. And you don't have the stray capacitance provided
by the strips.

I find the strips useful for low density simple ccts, and just totally unwanted for bigger & denser stuff. I'd loathe trying to build something big on stripboard, imho the stuff gets overused. With copper pads only you can route wire-tracks where you want, to some extent on both sides, and overlap them.

It's also nicer to use proper fibreglass FR4 board and not the paper-based
FR2 that stripboard usually comes on.

The old paperboard is much criticised, but I cant say I've found it a problem, at least until it comes to desoldering. So many times I see FR4 & similar used when its not necessary. If its a simple single sided board with no hf or high impedance stuff, and no damp environment, paper's usually ok. FR3's an intermediate option with many uses too (paper pulp with epoxy).

I keep clear of SM stuff. Not needed for the things I make.

If your eyesight can cope with it, it's possible to make things a lot
smaller and neater...
Theo

Through hole is a lot easier though for 1 offs. ICs especially.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:

Plus, you don't have to layout your circuit to suit the strips. That
means many fewer jumper wires. And you don't have the stray capacitance
provided by the strips.

And lots of extra wires where you do need a strip. Like PS rails and
grounds.

Doesn't work. The strip through pin 14 (Vcc) of a 14-pin chip for example,
would also connect with pin 1 of the same chip, and all the pin 1s in the
row! (Although you can of course just reserve a couple of strips in-between
rows for supply rails, and have a short link to the supply pins of each IC.)

On the square-pad boards, the first job (after soldering the IC sockets and
decoupling capacitors) was to wire up the supply pins with thicker wires and
ensure they are tidily out of the way. After that the rest of the wiring is
straightforward. I suppose you can emulate a strip by soldering tinned wire
along a row of pads, but I never tried that.

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BartC wrote:
I used to buy a prototyping board from RS in the 1980s. It was a bit
like veroboard: a single-sided pcb with a 0.1" grid of holes, but with
individual pads on the copper side instead of strips. (They might have
been used for wire-wrapping, but I used to solder to them. The
non-copper side was blue.)

Never really saw the point of them over Vero. I suppose you could pack
things in more densely - but not usually a priority for prototypes.

I did use to have quite dense layouts (over 100 ICs on one board for
example). But I liked the 100% flexibility of placement without worrying
about conforming to the strip layout, or having to cut loads of copper
strips to avoid shorts. Also my wiring was on the underside (where it was
easy to solder several thin wires to the same pad) rather than on the
component side where you might need a hole for each wire.

I commonly use the strip board with the strips broken every 3 holes
for DIL work. Here's a recent one:

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/IMG_2277.JPG

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
And lots of extra wires where you do need a strip. Like PS rails and
grounds.

I prefer to lay the circuit out more like the schematic - you don't have to
do mental somersaults to fit the strips. No problem to add a few wires as
power supply rails, and component leads generally do the rest.

Think you must mainly be dealing with computer bits and pieces. SM is
simply far too difficult for one off use. It's designed for machine
assembly.

Computer or RF, where layout does matter and SMD components are much better
than through-hole ones. SMD's really not a problem for hand assembly of
prototypes, it's just a different way of thinking. Tools like solder paste
and hot air help as well, but I mostly use a normal, fat, iron. Of course,
a PCB makes things easier (eg for SSOPs, QFPs or the simplest of BGAs),
though the sort of protoboard being discussed can have breakout patterns of
these things already integrated.

Theo