UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old May 27th 13, 06:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,461
Default DIY Concrete screws

In my local supplier, they have concrete screws...
http://deckrepairhq.com/wp-content/u...ws-150x130.jpg
At three quid a pop.
No wucking fay, am I paying that for a fecking bolt, especially if I
want 12 or more.
I recall a couple of years ago, the same supplier didn't have concrete
bolts, but had these...
http://www.china-tiantian.com/upload...9211551460.jpg
And I'd used a couple of them to see if they bolted into concrete well
enough. They did, so I repeated the experiment today and drove one of
the 3quid screws into its 12mm hole (quite easy) and drove one of the
coach screws into its 10mm hole (a lot tougher) and it held ok.
A pneumatic impact hammer was needed for both, though.

The difference in price? The coach screws are less than a quid each.

  #2   Report Post  
Old May 27th 13, 07:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,717
Default DIY Concrete screws

On May 27, 6:34*pm, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
In my local supplier, they have concrete screws...http://deckrepairhq.com/wp-content/u...rete-Screws-15...
At three quid a pop.
No wucking fay, am I paying that for a fecking bolt, especially if I
want 12 or more.
I recall a couple of years ago, the same supplier didn't have concrete
bolts, but had these...http://www.china-tiantian.com/upload...9211551460.jpg
And I'd used a couple of them to see if they bolted into concrete well
enough. They did, so I repeated the experiment today and drove one of
the 3quid screws into its 12mm hole (quite easy) and drove one of the
coach screws into its 10mm hole (a lot tougher) and it held ok.
A pneumatic impact hammer was needed for both, though.

The difference in price? The coach screws are less than a quid each.


mmm try fixing something worth fixing to the concrete with both types
and share the results?

I;d expect the proper (massively overpriced) concrete screws to cut a
better sharper thread in the concrete and so grip better than a forced
in coach bolt - that, I;d expect, got worn out & mangled during the
"pneumatic impact hammering" stage...

Jim K
  #3   Report Post  
Old May 27th 13, 07:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,461
Default DIY Concrete screws

On Mon, 27 May 2013 11:20:33 -0700 (PDT), Jim K
wrote:

mmm try fixing something worth fixing to the concrete with both types
and share the results?

I;d expect the proper (massively overpriced) concrete screws to cut a
better sharper thread in the concrete and so grip better than a forced
in coach bolt - that, I;d expect, got worn out & mangled during the
"pneumatic impact hammering" stage...


Possibly, but the function of the bigger bolts is to take some of the
shear load on their shoulders (it's a wall plate with a dozen joist
hangers). Each larger bolt is neighboured by two smaller ones, which
are cheap as chips and a piece of **** to drive in. So, there's no
shortage of load-sharing and plenty of strength in the assembly as a
whole. I just object to paying through the nose to a supplier who
thinks they can charge what they like for stuff like this.
  #4   Report Post  
Old May 27th 13, 08:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,004
Default DIY Concrete screws

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
In my local supplier, they have concrete screws...
http://deckrepairhq.com/wp-content/u...ws-150x130.jpg
At three quid a pop.
No wucking fay, am I paying that for a fecking bolt, especially if I
want 12 or more.
I recall a couple of years ago, the same supplier didn't have concrete
bolts, but had these...
http://www.china-tiantian.com/upload...9211551460.jpg
And I'd used a couple of them to see if they bolted into concrete well
enough. They did, so I repeated the experiment today and drove one of
the 3quid screws into its 12mm hole (quite easy) and drove one of the
coach screws into its 10mm hole (a lot tougher) and it held ok.
A pneumatic impact hammer was needed for both, though.

The difference in price? The coach screws are less than a quid each.


I've been using these for years:
http://www.ukfixings.net/7.5mm-x-100...ox-of-100.html
About 8p each.
You can get thicker ones, but I've used the 7.5mm ones for wallplates on
numerous occasions


  #5   Report Post  
Old May 27th 13, 09:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,104
Default DIY Concrete screws

On 27/05/2013 18:34, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
In my local supplier, they have concrete screws...
http://deckrepairhq.com/wp-content/u...ws-150x130.jpg
At three quid a pop.
No wucking fay, am I paying that for a fecking bolt, especially if I
want 12 or more.
I recall a couple of years ago, the same supplier didn't have concrete
bolts, but had these...
http://www.china-tiantian.com/upload...9211551460.jpg
And I'd used a couple of them to see if they bolted into concrete well
enough. They did, so I repeated the experiment today and drove one of
the 3quid screws into its 12mm hole (quite easy) and drove one of the
coach screws into its 10mm hole (a lot tougher) and it held ok.
A pneumatic impact hammer was needed for both, though.

The difference in price? The coach screws are less than a quid each.

Big range of Thunderbolts at Toolsatan.
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre...ors/d90/sd2040

I use these all the time for decking wall plates & awnings. Brilliant.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman www.medwayhandyman.co.uk


  #6   Report Post  
Old May 27th 13, 09:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,559
Default DIY Concrete screws

On 27/05/2013 19:20, Jim K wrote:
On May 27, 6:34 pm, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
In my local supplier, they have concrete screws...http://deckrepairhq.com/wp-content/u...rete-Screws-15...
At three quid a pop.
No wucking fay, am I paying that for a fecking bolt, especially if I
want 12 or more.
I recall a couple of years ago, the same supplier didn't have concrete
bolts, but had these...http://www.china-tiantian.com/upload...9211551460.jpg
And I'd used a couple of them to see if they bolted into concrete well
enough. They did, so I repeated the experiment today and drove one of
the 3quid screws into its 12mm hole (quite easy) and drove one of the
coach screws into its 10mm hole (a lot tougher) and it held ok.
A pneumatic impact hammer was needed for both, though.

The difference in price? The coach screws are less than a quid each.


mmm try fixing something worth fixing to the concrete with both types
and share the results?

I;d expect the proper (massively overpriced) concrete screws to cut a
better sharper thread in the concrete and so grip better than a forced
in coach bolt - that, I;d expect, got worn out & mangled during the
"pneumatic impact hammering" stage...


The concrete screw also has an integral anti-vibration head and is
probably made from a stronger steel.

Colin Bignell

  #7   Report Post  
Old May 27th 13, 10:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2011
Posts: 998
Default DIY Concrete screws

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
...

On Mon, 27 May 2013 11:20:33 -0700 (PDT), Jim K
wrote:

mmm try fixing something worth fixing to the concrete with both types
and share the results?

I;d expect the proper (massively overpriced) concrete screws to cut a
better sharper thread in the concrete and so grip better than a forced
in coach bolt - that, I;d expect, got worn out & mangled during the
"pneumatic impact hammering" stage...


Possibly, but the function of the bigger bolts is to take some of the
shear load on their shoulders (it's a wall plate with a dozen joist
hangers). Each larger bolt is neighboured by two smaller ones, which
are cheap as chips and a piece of **** to drive in. So, there's no
shortage of load-sharing and plenty of strength in the assembly as a
whole. I just object to paying through the nose to a supplier who
thinks they can charge what they like for stuff like this.



I've taken to using chemical anchor gunge with normal 10mm studding with
nuts & washers. (though admittedly I did buy a box of 25 12mm x 160mm
Multi-monti from Screwfix the other day)

AWEM

  #8   Report Post  
Old May 27th 13, 10:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,461
Default DIY Concrete screws

On Mon, 27 May 2013 20:19:12 +0100, "Phil L"
wrote:


I've been using these for years:
http://www.ukfixings.net/7.5mm-x-100...ox-of-100.html
About 8p each.
You can get thicker ones, but I've used the 7.5mm ones for wallplates on
numerous occasions


That's what I'm using for the neighbouring smaller screws - 7.5x150mm
There's an average of one of those per foot, with the larger screws
one every two feet.
  #9   Report Post  
Old May 27th 13, 10:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,461
Default DIY Concrete screws

On Mon, 27 May 2013 21:13:04 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

Big range of Thunderbolts at Toolsatan.
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre...ors/d90/sd2040

I use these all the time for decking wall plates & awnings. Brilliant.


Hellfire; the M12x100mm would do me - I've been going longer, aiming
for 100mm in the concrete, just to be sure of it, but likely 50mm
penetration would do the job.
When I see prices like that, I just get more annoyed at the local
arsehole rippers.
  #10   Report Post  
Old May 27th 13, 11:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,015
Default DIY Concrete screws

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

When I see prices like that, I just get more annoyed at the local
arsehole rippers.


I presume there is no toolsatan.ie?

I think these are the manufacturer of their "own label" fixings

http://www.forgefix.co.uk/Contact_Us

Worth seeing who they sell through over there?




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blimey, these Rawlplug concrete screws... Grimly Curmudgeon UK diy 41 June 24th 11 01:07 PM
Removing broken screws from concrete ... Jethro[_5_] UK diy 4 February 14th 11 10:35 PM
Tapcon screws & concrete block? Existential Angst Home Repair 1 June 5th 10 05:40 PM
Tapcon screws & concrete block? Tony[_19_] Home Repair 0 June 5th 10 05:00 AM
For Any Users Of Sikadur AnchorFix-2 (Sika Anchor Fix) ForAnchoring Screws In Concrete Joe Home Repair 0 May 19th 10 03:01 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017