Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's your most stupid DIY cockup?

On 15/05/2013 18:51, Lobster wrote:
On 15/05/2013 11:53, polygonum wrote:
On 14/05/2013 20:34, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

Using a chain lubricant that required heating for my motorcycle chain.

Put it on the cooker at a low setting

Do bikers still do that, or is it one of these things that's confined to
history?

I used to do it regularly in my own motorcycling days about 30 years
ago, in my Mum's kitchen; she nearly had a fit every time, convinced it
was going to end badly one way ot another. Happy to report that it
*never* did!

No idea...

http://www.putoline.com/en/products/...cts/chain-wax/

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message
On Tue, 14 May 2013 20:34:43 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

Yesterday I needed an emergency shoe shine. Didn't have my glasses on.
guess which one I used?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8...ream/lightbox/

so the "safety" cap wasn't a give-away then?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 14/05/2013 20:34, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

Can't call yourself a DIY plumber until you have done that. BTDTGTTS.

Sawing through the top of your workmate.

isn't that what they're for?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/13 19:23, tim...... wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 14/05/2013 20:34, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

Can't call yourself a DIY plumber until you have done that. BTDTGTTS.

Sawing through the top of your workmate.

isn't that what they're for?

No, generally they are there to fetch the tools ...

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/13 19:23, tim...... wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 14/05/2013 20:34, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

Can't call yourself a DIY plumber until you have done that. BTDTGTTS.

Sawing through the top of your workmate.

isn't that what they're for?

No, generally they are there to fetch the tools ...

Oh

I thought that sort were just there to sit in the van, ready to move it when
a warden comes along

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 May 2013 18:51:59 +0100, Lobster wrote:

On 15/05/2013 11:53, polygonum wrote:
On 14/05/2013 20:34, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it
under running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single
time.

Using a chain lubricant that required heating for my motorcycle chain.

Put it on the cooker at a low setting

Do bikers still do that, or is it one of these things that's confined to
history?

I used to do it regularly in my own motorcycling days about 30 years
ago, in my Mum's kitchen; she nearly had a fit every time, convinced it
was going to end badly one way ot another. Happy to report that it
*never* did!

I used to have to do it on a Primus in the garden.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 May 2013 18:51:59 +0100, Lobster wrote:

On 15/05/2013 11:53, polygonum wrote:
On 14/05/2013 20:34, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it
under running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single
time.

Using a chain lubricant that required heating for my motorcycle chain.

Put it on the cooker at a low setting

Do bikers still do that, or is it one of these things that's confined to
history?

I used to do it regularly in my own motorcycling days about 30 years
ago, in my Mum's kitchen; she nearly had a fit every time, convinced it
was going to end badly one way ot another. Happy to report that it
*never* did!

I used to have to do it on a Primus in the garden.

Also used to roast copper head gaskets on one. Not sure if that actually did
anything, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2013 20:06, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 15 May 2013 18:51:59 +0100, Lobster wrote:

On 15/05/2013 11:53, polygonum wrote:
On 14/05/2013 20:34, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it
under running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single
time.

Using a chain lubricant that required heating for my motorcycle chain.

Put it on the cooker at a low setting

Do bikers still do that, or is it one of these things that's confined to
history?

I used to do it regularly in my own motorcycling days about 30 years
ago, in my Mum's kitchen; she nearly had a fit every time, convinced it
was going to end badly one way ot another. Happy to report that it
*never* did!

I used to have to do it on a Primus in the garden.

I wished I had done something like that! Especially as we actually had a
Camping Gaz stove that would have done the job easily.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2013 7:34 a.m., Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

Not mine, a friend's (honest! he told me about it yesterday). He was 8m
up a ladder trimming branches. A branch fell and knocked the ladder out
from under him. He was incredibly lucky, falling on the ladder which
was on top of branches, cushioning his fall. Only bad bruising.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2013 9:32 a.m., fred wrote:
In article , Mentalguy2k8
writes
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

Mentioning this group in another, resulting in a well known poster there
thinking it was acceptable to include this group in their
socio-political ramblings.

It's anthropological.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

Draining the blocked sink into a bucket by removing the pipe from the
underneath of the sink and then happily standing up and emptying the
bucket into the sink and thinking NOOOOOOoooo as the water washed over
my feet.

I think we've all done something very like that. A variation is taking
the waste pipe off then washing the muck off your hands in the sink.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2013 7:46 p.m., sm_jamieson wrote:
On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:34:43 PM UTC+1, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under

running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

I didn't make that mistake.
I remembered to put the plug in - thinking "ooh, close one" !
Then when I'd finished cleaning the waste pipe I pulled out the plug !

Simon.

LOL!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2013 7:34 a.m., Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

Most stupid and life-threatening..

I was working on a concrete balcony, with a wooden railing on steel
posts, which at the bottom are welded to horizontal steel pegs (hollow,
as it turns out) embedded in the concrete. I had disconnected the
railing sections from each other to repair and paint them, and the
section I was working on was about 1m long. I was leaning all my weight
on it, trying to reach a bit of the post near the bottom on the outside,
when the whole thing started to give way. The pegs, probably weakened
by rust under the paint, were bending surprisingly willingly. Somehow I
managed to pull myself back before crashing head-first onto the concrete
below. The sturdiness of the posts was very misleading.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm writes:

On 15/05/2013 14:45, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:34:43 PM UTC+1, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it
under running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every
single time.

top... Fortunately I was younger and fitter then (and I had expected
a fair bit to come through, I'd just underestimated), so I got out
just in time, with only a bruise where I'd hit something in my hurry
to get out.

Reminds me of a similar episode at my mum's place... she was
complaining of a blocked drain, so I went round with rods etc to help
clear. We finally established that most of the run down the side of
the house was clear, and so it must be the final few yards to the
manhole. Alas there was what they termed a "weaver" in this drain - a
vented vertical drop tube that intercepts the end of the drain and
drops it about another 3 or 4 feet before it enters the manhole. This
means you can't rod right through from the top, and rodding down the
weaver was not shifting it either. So mother decides we need to go
down the manhole and rod back up the last bit of pipe. I was going to
do the gallant thing, but she insisted on going down since she was
wearing old clothes already (and in those days, enthusiasm often got
the better of her)...

So there she is at the bottom of this probably 10 - 12' deep hole
banging away with a couple of rods against some blockage (I don't
think she had thought this one through to the logical conclusion!)
Then after a moment there was a loud gurgle, and a sound of rushing
water. Realisation rapidly downed that she was about to be in the ****
(literally). There are foot holds set into the wall, but they were not
quick to scale in a panic. There was a scream, and I saw this hand
reach into the air for assistance. So I reached down, grabbed it and
pulled hard. Fortunately the combination of 5' something diddy mother,
and somewhat larger me, meant she came out of the hole like a cork out
of a bottle - with nothing more than slightly damp shoes!

She sounds fun. Swap?

Alex

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2013 10:53 p.m., polygonum wrote:
On 14/05/2013 20:34, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

Using a chain lubricant that required heating for my motorcycle chain.

Put it on the cooker at a low setting, went outside to undo another nut
which was stuck fast. Eventually heard an odd popping/bubbling noise.
Kitchen black. Air black. Me black.

I did that! It was a saucepan full of grease. Everything in the
kitchen was blackened with greasy soot. That was 46 years ago..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge put finger to keyboard:

On 2013-05-15, Lobster wrote:
On 15/05/2013 11:53, polygonum wrote:
On 14/05/2013 20:34, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it
under running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single
time.

Using a chain lubricant that required heating for my motorcycle chain.

Put it on the cooker at a low setting

Do bikers still do that, or is it one of these things that's confined
to history?

I used to do it regularly in my own motorcycling days about 30 years
ago, in my Mum's kitchen; she nearly had a fit every time, convinced it
was going to end badly one way ot another. Happy to report that it
*never* did!

Nikwax burns nicely. Don't ask me how I know.

After a particularly wet camping holiday, my Mum decided the next time to
Nikwax everything she could get her hands on. Including towels.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 May 2013 00:18:47 -0700, harry wrote:

On May 14, 8:34Â*pm, "Mentalguy2k8" wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.Ads
not by this site

Lay concrete, then absentmindedly walk across it a few minutes later.

Try to construct a thermal heat store.

Taking the top instead of the bottom off a door to go over a carpet.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it
under running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single
time.

Mine was when my parents chest freezer failed and to remove it also required
the sink in the utility room to be removed. I took off the sink trap and
passed it to my Dad. He emptied it down the sink whilst I was still
underneath it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

harry wrote:
On May 14, 8:34 pm, "Mentalguy2k8" wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it
under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single
time.Ads not by this site

Lay concrete, then absentmindedly walk across it a few
minutes later.

Walking on wet concrete is a job for your cat/dog.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-05-14, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

Leave a bowl under the trap all the time?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

Draining the blocked sink into a bucket by removing the pipe from the
underneath of the sink and then happily standing up and emptying the
bucket into the sink and thinking NOOOOOOoooo as the water washed over
my feet.

draining old oil - 5+litres - from old tractor, the refilling with
more than 5 litres new expensive oil - without having replaced drain
plug..... ******* ;))

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2013 20:34, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

First ever car Mk3 Cortina and around 6 years old when bought.

I thought it was a good idea to fit an after market oil pressure gauge.
After fitting, the gauge took about 30 seconds to register so I
concluded that I had a problem with oil pressure.

Removed the gauge adapter and asked a friend to start the car while I
checked under the bonnet. As the car started the contents of the sump
shot out of the hole in the adapter, missed my ear by a few inches, hit
the underside bonnet and descended again covering everything within a 3
foot radius.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum writes:
Using a chain lubricant that required heating for my motorcycle chain.

Put it on the cooker at a low setting, went outside to undo another nut
which was stuck fast. Eventually heard an odd popping/bubbling noise.
Kitchen black. Air black. Me black.

Called fire brigade but, luckily, it was all disgusting mess rather than
burning building.

Mum used to make banoffee pie quite often.
Part of that involves cooking an unopened tin of condensed milk for
a couple of hours in a saucepan of boiling water to turn it in to
caramel. This requires remembering to return to the saucepan
periodically, to check and top up the water level. Should you forget
to do this for some reason, you are reminded by the bang from the
kitchen as a can of caramel explodes on the stove. There were
caramel stalactites hanging from the ceiling over 20' away from
the cooker...

Nowadays, you can buy the caramel ready-made, but back then, you
had to make it yourself.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
[...]

Reminds me of a post here many years ago from a farmer (IIRC) who
had a campsite on his land, and the pipe to the septic tank had
blocked. Had to go into the manhole to rod it from downstream of
the blockage. He had thought to put wellies on, but had not
thought through how much **** a campsite generates, and the
ensueing gush overtopped his wellies before he could get out.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

Draining the blocked sink into a bucket by removing the pipe from the
underneath of the sink and then happily standing up and emptying the
bucket into the sink and thinking NOOOOOOoooo as the water washed over
my feet.

draining old oil - 5+litres - from old tractor, the refilling with
more than 5 litres new expensive oil - without having replaced drain
plug..... ******* ;))

Hee hee - been there, with front fork oil for a motorbike. On a Sunday
in the days before such as Half Frauds were open on such days. I think
I had to resort to trudging to one of those off-licence/motoristy sort
of shops (ca. 1980) to get more (at a rip-off price).

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2013 10:36 a.m., Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
polygonum writes:
[...]

I had to laugh at that mental image..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/13 14:21, F Murtz wrote:
xxxxxxxx

In the days before asbestos was dangerous, cutting a hole in the
asbestos sheeted wall with a circular saw with abrasive blade in it and
cutting through all circuits to the rear of the house, the last one
being the one the saw was on.

terrible,
[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

Draining the blocked sink into a bucket by removing the pipe from the
underneath of the sink and then happily standing up and emptying the
bucket into the sink and thinking NOOOOOOoooo as the water washed over
my feet.

draining old oil - 5+litres - from old tractor, the refilling with
more than 5 litres new expensive oil - without having replaced drain
plug..... ******* ;))

A highly intelligent person I know thought he'd change the oil in his
MR4. He looked in the manual and found how much oil he needed and
bought it.

Then he goes under the car and drains the oil. Replaces plug puts in
measured amount of engine oil and drives off. (Never checks dipstick)
Ten miles later, big bang lots of smoke.
He had drained the gearbox.
So he needed new engine and gear box.

This fellow was an RAF pilot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 May 2013 23:59:01 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

draining old oil - 5+litres - from old tractor, the refilling with
more than 5 litres new expensive oil - without having replaced drain
plug..... ******* ;))

So 5 l of oil all over the yard as well?

If it had gone into the empty but not cleaned out drain container I'd
have just bunged it back in, hopefully after putting the drain plug in. A
little bit of "contamination" of the new oil wouldn't hurt, what about
all the old oil still in the oilways and clinging to surafces in the
engine....

He had drained the gearbox.
So he needed new engine and gear box.

This fellow was an RAF pilot.

Pilots fly 'em, they don't fix 'em...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2013 07:59, harry wrote:
A highly intelligent person I know thought he'd change the oil in his
MR4. He looked in the manual and found how much oil he needed and
bought it.

What's an MR4?

snip

This fellow was an RAF pilot.

Ah - right. I have it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Systems_Nimrod_MRA4

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/13 07:18, Apellation Controlee wrote:
On Thu, 16 May 2013 22:36:55 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

----------------8
Mum used to make banoffee pie quite often.
Part of that involves cooking an unopened tin of condensed milk for
a couple of hours in a saucepan of boiling water to turn it in to
caramel. This requires remembering to return to the saucepan
periodically, to check and top up the water level. Should you forget
to do this for some reason, you are reminded by the bang from the
kitchen as a can of caramel explodes on the stove. There were
caramel stalactites hanging from the ceiling over 20' away from
the cooker...

Nowadays, you can buy the caramel ready-made, but back then, you
had to make it yourself.

The most significant thing to learn from an event like that is that,
no matter how much heat you push in the bottom, the temperature of the
water itself won't rise above boiling point. [1] The excess energy
gets vented as steam.

er no. under pressure the boiling point can rise quite substantiall.
Pressure cooker.

So te point to learn is that it is extremely dangerous to release
pressure on superheated 'boiling' water, since io all then boils
instantaneously and turns to steam.

The objective, therefore, can be achieved with a gentle simmer (you
can then leave the lid on, and save even more energy).

[1] For all intent and purpose.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

----------------8
[...]

No, no, no. The important point is that banoffee is simply a means of
consuming vast amounts of sugar with, unfortunately, very little nice
flavour. It would be very close to the bottom of my list of desserts -
only a little ahead of the ones which are positively horrible. Anything
with marmalade or most forms of cooked orange!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

----------------8
[...]

Mainly depends if you like banana I suppose.

I do, and am indeed quite partial to the occasional slice of banoffee
pie. And I also well remember my mum boiling up tins of Nestle's, which
even as a kid struck me as a rather odd and dangerous thing to be doing.

However, I have to say my life-long love affair with bananas took a
somewhat downward turn when I visited a beer festival recently, and
spotted 'banana beer' on offer.

Well, you've got to try it, haven't you?

Sadly it proved to be probably the most disgusting stuff I've ever had
the misfortune to put in my mouth. Who'd have guessed, eh?

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-05-17, Lobster wrote:

However, I have to say my life-long love affair with bananas took a
somewhat downward turn when I visited a beer festival recently, and
spotted 'banana beer' on offer.

Well, you've got to try it, haven't you?

Sadly it proved to be probably the most disgusting stuff I've ever had
the misfortune to put in my mouth. Who'd have guessed, eh?

Never had "Dr. Peppers root beer", eh?

I used to have a soft spot for some forms of root beer! But like so many
things, they seem so much sweeter these days than when I were lad...

I *do* like bananas - but not in that concoction. Any decent banana is
more than sweet enough already...

(Mind, I do find "dollar" bananas seem to be somewhat starchy and very
much less pleasant than our traditional Caribbean sources.)

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 May 2013 23:59:01 -0700, harry wrote:

A highly intelligent person I know thought he'd change the oil in his
MR4. He looked in the manual and found how much oil he needed and
bought it.

Then he goes under the car and drains the oil. Replaces plug puts in
measured amount of engine oil and drives off. (Never checks dipstick)
Ten miles later, big bang lots of smoke.
He had drained the gearbox.
So he needed new engine and gear box.

This fellow was an RAF pilot.

Is it time to mention expanding foam?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge :
On 2013-05-17, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

On 2013-05-17, Lobster wrote:

However, I have to say my life-long love affair with bananas took a
somewhat downward turn when I visited a beer festival recently, and
spotted 'banana beer' on offer.

Well, you've got to try it, haven't you?

Sadly it proved to be probably the most disgusting stuff I've ever had
the misfortune to put in my mouth. Who'd have guessed, eh?

Never had "Dr. Peppers root beer", eh?

It is the most revolting fizzy drink I've ever encountered.

AOL I spat the first mouthfull out and poured the rest down the toilet.

I quite liked it.

Which is more than I can say for methi (fenugreek) flavoured potato
crisps.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 17, 9:39*am, Andy Champ wrote:
On 17/05/2013 07:59, harry wrote:

A highly intelligent person I know thought he'd change the oil in his
MR4. *He looked in the manual and found how much oil he needed and
bought it.

What's an MR4?

snip

This fellow was an RAF pilot.

Ah - right. I have it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Systems_Nimrod_MRA4

Andy

Hah. You're right it's MR2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_mr2
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-05-17, Lobster wrote:

However, I have to say my life-long love affair with bananas took a
somewhat downward turn when I visited a beer festival recently, and
spotted 'banana beer' on offer.

Well, you've got to try it, haven't you?

Sadly it proved to be probably the most disgusting stuff I've ever had
the misfortune to put in my mouth. Who'd have guessed, eh?

Never had "Dr. Peppers root beer", eh?

Or Watneys Red Barrel...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-05-17, Lobster wrote:

However, I have to say my life-long love affair with bananas took a
somewhat downward turn when I visited a beer festival recently, and
spotted 'banana beer' on offer.

Well, you've got to try it, haven't you?

Sadly it proved to be probably the most disgusting stuff I've ever
had the misfortune to put in my mouth. Who'd have guessed, eh?

Never had "Dr. Peppers root beer", eh?

Or Watneys Red Barrel...

Believe you me, Dr.Peppers is nastier than Red Barrel. A lot nastier.

At least Red Barrel didn't taste much of...well, anything....when I last
drank it.