Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

Default Hewlett Packard cashback (OT in uk.d-i-y)

HP currently have cashback offers on some of their laptops - typically
you get £100 back on a £350 laptop, reducing the effective price to £250.

Have any of you done this, and is it pukka?

Reading the small print, there appear to be so many conditions which
have to be fulfilled in order to claim the cashback that I wonder how
many people actually succeed in getting their cash before they lose the
will the live.

Any comments?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On Fri, 10 May 2013 14:08:30 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Reading the small print, there appear to be so many conditions which
have to be fulfilled in order to claim the cashback that I wonder how
many people actually succeed in getting their cash before they lose the
will the live.

Did it with a printer once.

Fulfilled all the conditions including scanning the invoice and uploading
it on their website.
No cashback forthcoming.

Several emails later with them claiming I never provided an invoice I
scanned and emailled the invoice on a promise it would be sorted.

Repeated the above several times and eventually got the cashback.

The printer was ****e (OfficeJet 600 IIRC), I told them i'd never buy
from them again and never have.

I reckon most people would have given up but I never if I reckon that's
what they are counting on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On Fri, 10 May 2013 14:08:30 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Have any of you done this, and is it pukka?

People in here have been succesful with the Cashback offers they run on
the small servers. I *think* I got Cashback when I bought a colour laser
printer from HP. Just make sure you get a proper printed reciept,
probably has to be from a "participating store", rather than a random box
shifter.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On Fri, 10 May 2013 13:29:05 +0000 (UTC), R D S wrote:

Fulfilled all the conditions including scanning the invoice and
uploading it on their website. No cashback forthcoming.

Several emails later with them claiming I never provided an invoice I
scanned and emailled the invoice on a promise it would be sorted.

Never trust email, doubly so for corporates when you are trying to get
money out of them. I used snail mail...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On May 10, 2:41*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Fri, 10 May 2013 14:08:30 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:
Have any of you done this, and is it pukka?

People in here have been succesful with the Cashback offers they run on
the small servers.

I have also received cashback on some Microservers and a quad core
ML110 server. No problems apart from having to wait quite a while for
the cheques. My experience would encourage me to use HP. The kit
that I bought was very well made as well as being incredibly low cost
(with the cashback). The cashback operation is subcontracted to a
marketing company who deal with the whole process.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On Fri, 10 May 2013 14:08:30 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

HP currently have cashback offers on some of their laptops - typically
you get £100 back on a £350 laptop, reducing the effective price to
£250.

Have any of you done this, and is it pukka?

Not this time round, but I've done it on several of the previous similar
cashbacks - laptops and printers. Never had a problem on any of them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
GB GB is offline

On 10/05/2013 14:29, R D S wrote:
[...]

Bet they were using a not-very-good 3rd party company to administrate
the cash-back claims. And I really don't think that a large corporation
is relying on your giving up your cashback claim, you know.

I've done this without problems, BTW.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On 10/05/2013 14:08, Roger Mills wrote:
HP currently have cashback offers on some of their laptops - typically
you get £100 back on a £350 laptop, reducing the effective price to £250.

Have any of you done this, and is it pukka?

Reading the small print, there appear to be so many conditions which
have to be fulfilled in order to claim the cashback that I wonder how
many people actually succeed in getting their cash before they lose the
will the live.

I did it once with a printer for a similar level of deal; yes it did
eventually happen, after several months of chasing emails (each missive
was duly replied to by a human, with some reason or other for the delay,
and a new date by which I should receive the money, which then came and
went...); I'm sure if I hadn't kept following up I'd never have received it.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On Fri, 10 May 2013 15:35:18 +0100, GB wrote:

Bet they were using a not-very-good 3rd party company to administrate
the cash-back claims. And I really don't think that a large corporation
is relying on your giving up your cashback claim, you know.

Probably not, but the service from HP after the cashback wasn't initially
forthcoming was beyond poor.
As it also was when I was having trouble with the printer further down
the line.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Friday, 10 May 2013 14:48:02 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 10 May 2013 13:29:05 +0000 (UTC), R D S wrote:

Fulfilled all the conditions including scanning the invoice and

uploading it on their website. No cashback forthcoming.

Several emails later with them claiming I never provided an invoice I

scanned and emailled the invoice on a promise it would be sorted.

Never trust email, doubly so for corporates when you are trying to get

money out of them. I used snail mail...

--

Cheers

Dave.

I have had no problems getting the hundred quid cashbak offer on a couple of (separate) HP microserver purchases in the last couple of years.

As others have said. make sure you buy from an approved supplier.

if it is by email, IIRC they acknowledge your claim email and give you an expected date that the claim will be processed by, which gives a decent degree of confidence.

Also IIRC, the main possible stumbling block on the Ts&Cs was that you were not buying on behalf of a company.

HTH
J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On Fri, 10 May 2013 14:08:30 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

HP currently have cashback offers on some of their laptops - typically
you get £100 back on a £350 laptop, reducing the effective price to
£250.

Have any of you done this, and is it pukka?

Reading the small print, there appear to be so many conditions which
have to be fulfilled in order to claim the cashback that I wonder how
many people actually succeed in getting their cash before they lose the
will the live.

Any comments?

I bought an HP Microserver in November 2012; got the cashback simply by
posting in copy of invoice, and form with details including serial number.

Did it again later the same month; again no problem.

The third one was rejected as the serial number said it was 'non UK
stock'. The dealer changed it for another (pre-vetted number) one and it
all went through fine. £300 in total!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

And not fraud at all?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On Fri, 10 May 2013 16:52:04 +0100, Norman Wells wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Why on earth should it be fraud?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

En el artículo o.uk,
Dave Liquorice escribió:

Just make sure you get a proper printed reciept,
probably has to be from a "participating store", rather than a random box
shifter.

The receipt/invoice also has to bear the same part number specified in
the cashback Ts & Cs.

I highlighted it in my claim submission using fluorescent marker to make
sure they couldn't miss it.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

En el artículo , Roger Mills
escribió:

Have any of you done this, and is it pukka?

Bought a Microserver from them a couple years ago, 100 quid cashback,
plus 10% Quidco cashback. Effective price ~110 quid.

No problems, and the uServer is rockin' on just fine. Fantastic value
for money at the price paid.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On Fri, 10 May 2013 18:17:34 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Bought a Microserver from them a couple years ago, 100 quid cashback,
plus 10% Quidco cashback. Effective price ~110 quid.

Who did you buy through? 10% Quidco is pretty damn good these days apart
from on things you only rarely buy or don't even have a need for.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 10/05/13 14:08, Roger Mills wrote:
HP currently have cashback offers on some of their laptops - typically
you get £100 back on a £350 laptop, reducing the effective price to £250.

Have any of you done this, and is it pukka?

Reading the small print, there appear to be so many conditions which
have to be fulfilled in order to claim the cashback that I wonder how
many people actually succeed in getting their cash before they lose the
will the live.

I have used the HP cashback offer on two Microservers. There was no
problem at all with that. Check you are buying from a proper HP dealer.
If, as is usually the case, you order online and get a PDF invoice then
you can do the whole claim online. Check arrives within a week or two.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On Fri, 10 May 2013 14:08:30 +0100 Roger Mills wrote :
HP currently have cashback offers on some of their laptops - typically
you get £100 back on a £350 laptop, reducing the effective price to £250.

Have any of you done this, and is it pukka?

Reading the small print, there appear to be so many conditions which
have to be fulfilled in order to claim the cashback that I wonder how
many people actually succeed in getting their cash before they lose the
will the live.

Did it with my laptop and got $99 back from Acer. I had to send in a form
and copy receipt saying to whom the rebate cheque should be made out to.

My take on how these schemes are meant to work is that (say) you buy said
laptop for your business, then pocket the rebate yourself. Accounts
department and boss probably don't know about it. Much as Acer offering you
$99 in used notes if you buy their product rather than someone else's. Much
the same with Viking Stationery's free gifts that probably get taken home
by the secretaries.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

In message , Roger Mills
writes
HP currently have cashback offers on some of their laptops - typically
you get £100 back on a £350 laptop, reducing the effective price to
£250.

Have any of you done this, and is it pukka?

Reading the small print, there appear to be so many conditions which
have to be fulfilled in order to claim the cashback that I wonder how
many people actually succeed in getting their cash before they lose the
will the live.

Any comments?

When I was looking a few weeks back, the screen had to be unscratched,
laptop less than 4 years olds and in fully working order apart from
anything else

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On 10/05/2013 23:52, Tony Bryer wrote:

My take on how these schemes are meant to work is that (say) you buy said
laptop for your business, then pocket the rebate yourself. Accounts
department and boss probably don't know about it. Much as Acer offering you
$99 in used notes if you buy their product rather than someone else's. Much
the same with Viking Stationery's free gifts that probably get taken home
by the secretaries.

Not according to the HP T&C's. They will only pay the cashback to the
company or individual whose name appears on the invoice as the purchaser.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On Sat, 11 May 2013 00:20:28 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Roger Mills
writes
HP currently have cashback offers on some of their laptops - typically
you get £100 back on a £350 laptop, reducing the effective price to
£250.

Have any of you done this, and is it pukka?

Reading the small print, there appear to be so many conditions which
have to be fulfilled in order to claim the cashback that I wonder how
many people actually succeed in getting their cash before they lose the
will the live.

Any comments?

When I was looking a few weeks back, the screen had to be unscratched,
laptop less than 4 years olds and in fully working order apart from
anything else

The ones being discussed here (certainly the microservers) don't require
any old hardware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

En el artículo o.uk,
Dave Liquorice escribió:

Who did you buy through?

HP's online store, IIRC, though the order was actually filled by one of
their box-shifters.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

Bob Eager wrote:

The third one was rejected as the serial number said it was 'non UK
stock'. The dealer changed it for another (pre-vetted number) one and
it all went through fine. £300 in total!

And not fraud at all?

Why on earth should it be fraud?

It would be fraud if they changed the invoice so that it no longer
matched the printer. If they replaced the printer, at the same time, it
would probably be OK.

However, the original sale might have been fraudulent if they had
claimed that it qualified for the cash back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

Tony Bryer wrote:

My take on how these schemes are meant to work is that (say) you buy said
laptop for your business, then pocket the rebate yourself. Accounts

That would be tax fraud. If such practices are common, I would expect
HMRC to request details of the payees!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

Bob Eager wrote:

The third one was rejected as the serial number said it was 'non UK
stock'. The dealer changed it for another (pre-vetted number) one and
it all went through fine. £300 in total!
And not fraud at all?

Why on earth should it be fraud?

It would be fraud if they changed the invoice so that it no longer
matched the printer. If they replaced the printer, at the same time, it
would probably be OK.

Do keep up. It was a microserver!

They refunded me for the first server and re-invoiced me for the second.

However, the original sale might have been fraudulent if they had
claimed that it qualified for the cash back.

They did - but that was due to circumstances unknown to them. They took
immediate (with 3 hours, anyway) action to put it right, at their expense.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

In message , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

No - that's a breakaway subthread

"HP currently have cashback offers on some of their laptops" is
specifically what I was referring to

(yes, I also bought a couple of proliant uservers with the cashback
deal).

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On 11/05/2013 14:33, geoff wrote:
In message , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

But the laptops I referred to in my OP don't require any part exchange.
It's simply a retrospective cash discount. Like this one, for example:
http://www.ebuyer.com/409145-hp-650-...n=b2c_thursday
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

In message , Roger Mills
writes
[...]

http://www.ebuyer.com/409145-hp-650-..._source=b2c_th
ursday&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=b2c_thursd ay

You're right and I'm wrong there ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

In article ,
R D S writes:
[...]

Cashback relies on almost no one getting it.
Otherwise, there's no point - it's just additional paperwork cost for
everyone.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

In uk.d-i-y Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Cashback relies on almost no one getting it.
Otherwise, there's no point - it's just additional paperwork cost for
everyone.

Depends. Mobile phone cashback is like that - submit your claim every 5th
Tuesday of the month, full moons excepted. But IT cashback is often used to
shift excess inventory without pulling down the numbers. The laptops which
were officially £500 but they have so many of the wretched things sitting
around the warehouse they offer a cashback deal to get shot of them (cough,
might I mention Windows 8 here). That's a sales promotion, it doesn't upset
the accounts in other ways.

What I don't understand though is how they managed to do things like the
Microservers, which have been on cashback for years now. Either they're
really cheap to make or they're subsidising to break into a new market,
because it's clearly not excess inventory. And the small businesses they're
aimed at are probably going to be better at filing the cashback returns than
large ones.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On Sun, 12 May 2013 17:30:17 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

What I don't understand though is how they managed to do things like the
Microservers, which have been on cashback for years now. Either they're
really cheap to make or they're subsidising to break into a new market,
because it's clearly not excess inventory. And the small businesses
they're aimed at are probably going to be better at filing the cashback
returns than large ones.

The last microserver promotion was in the few months before that model
went EOL. The new ones don't have cashback - yet.

But I agree....they are probably really cheap to make! Well made though...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On 12/05/2013 19:53 Bob Eager wrote:

The last microserver promotion was in the few months before that model
went EOL. The new ones don't have cashback - yet.

This one -
http://www.ebuyer.com/430446-prolian...-in-704941-421
- has been on for a couple or three weeks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On Sun, 12 May 2013 20:16:41 +0100, F wrote:

On 12/05/2013 19:53 Bob Eager wrote:

The last microserver promotion was in the few months before that model
went EOL. The new ones don't have cashback - yet.

This one -
http://www.ebuyer.com/430446-prolian...2-2-2gb-250gb-

nhpl-sata-lff-in-704941-421
- has been on for a couple or three weeks.

Missed that one! Still, only £50 - and more to start with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 12/05/13 19:53, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 12 May 2013 17:30:17 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

What I don't understand though is how they managed to do things like the
Microservers, which have been on cashback for years now. Either they're
really cheap to make or they're subsidising to break into a new market,
because it's clearly not excess inventory. And the small businesses
they're aimed at are probably going to be better at filing the cashback
returns than large ones.

I think its a way to support the official dealers rather than grey
importers.

The last microserver promotion was in the few months before that model
went EOL. The new ones don't have cashback - yet.

ServersPlus have a £50 cashback offer this month:
http://www.serversplus.com/microserver_cashback

But I agree....they are probably really cheap to make! Well made though...

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 May 2013 04:57:02 +0100, djc wrote:

On 12/05/13 19:53, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 12 May 2013 17:30:17 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

What I don't understand though is how they managed to do things like
the Microservers, which have been on cashback for years now. Either
they're really cheap to make or they're subsidising to break into a
new market, because it's clearly not excess inventory. And the small
businesses they're aimed at are probably going to be better at filing
the cashback returns than large ones.

I think its a way to support the official dealers rather than grey
importers.

The last microserver promotion was in the few months before that model
went EOL. The new ones don't have cashback - yet.

ServersPlus have a £50 cashback offer this month:
http://www.serversplus.com/microserver_cashback

That's where I got mine. As I said, when I had a problem with an alleged
grey import on one of the three I bought, they reacted within hours and
had a new one with me next day. They collected the 'grey' one.

Incidentally, when the new models came out, they sold off remaining stock
at a knockdown price. I got the same machine back!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On 12/05/2013 22:06 Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 12 May 2013 20:16:41 +0100, F wrote:

On 12/05/2013 19:53 Bob Eager wrote:

The last microserver promotion was in the few months before that model
went EOL. The new ones don't have cashback - yet.

This one -
http://www.ebuyer.com/430446-prolian...2-2-2gb-250gb-

nhpl-sata-lff-in-704941-421
- has been on for a couple or three weeks.

Missed that one! Still, only £50 - and more to start with.

Now £179.99 after cashback has been increased to £100:
http://www.ebuyer.com/430446-prolian...-in-704941-421

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

brightside S9 wrote:

I wonder if HMRC are looking at taxing these cash-back deals, why
wouldn't they after screwing the return of trail commision?

In the case where the company pays, but the employee gets the cash back,
I assume that they are already taxable as income.

Where the person who pays gets the cash back, I would hope that the
giver of the cash back receives a refund of the VAT. However, if that
is not the case, there would be yet another source of revenue for the
government.