Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Joined Up Thinking?

Today is bin day. Pavements cluttered up with big brown, black and green
things. What does (presumably the same department) council do? It sent
the mechanical pavement sweepers down our road! You should see them
deftly weaving in and out of the assembled bins leaving the muck
underneath them for another day! Brilliant.

TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, the lorry turned up to fill a few potholes in our cul-de-
sac; all finished
by 4 PM. On Saturday, at about 11 AM, along comes a lorry-type road
sweeper
and sucks the new filling out of nearly all the repaired holes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article
,
Mr Fuxit wrote:

On Friday, the lorry turned up to fill a few potholes in our cul-de-
sac; all finished
by 4 PM. On Saturday, at about 11 AM, along comes a lorry-type road
sweeper
and sucks the new filling out of nearly all the repaired holes.

Where's this?

Almost anywhere with a "local council".

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 09 May 2013 18:11 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

At our Annual Parish Meeting, there was plenty of moaning by residents
to the CC about potholes generally and in some instances the poor
quality of pothole repair. My impression is that, done properly, what
you describe wooden happen. But if you just bung down tarmac onto a
pothole full of loose stones, it's got nothing to grip to.

I see that happening around here. Stuff a bit of mac into the hole. I
suspect "properly" means cutting the hole out, probably square with an angle
grinder (there said it), clearing out the bottom to a decent uniform depth
then applying appropriate filling materials. Then you'll get a solid cuboid
block wedged in a similarly shaped hole. Perfect adhesion is suddenly less
important.

Sticking a bit of filler in an egg shaped hole leaves very thin edges and
probably loose crap over most of the base so it just wants to slide out and
become friable.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2013 18:38, Tim Watts wrote:
On Thursday 09 May 2013 18:11 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

At our Annual Parish Meeting, there was plenty of moaning by residents
to the CC about potholes generally and in some instances the poor
quality of pothole repair. My impression is that, done properly, what
you describe wooden happen. But if you just bung down tarmac onto a
pothole full of loose stones, it's got nothing to grip to.

I see that happening around here. Stuff a bit of mac into the hole. I
suspect "properly" means cutting the hole out, probably square with an angle
grinder (there said it), clearing out the bottom to a decent uniform depth
then applying appropriate filling materials. Then you'll get a solid cuboid
block wedged in a similarly shaped hole. Perfect adhesion is suddenly less
important.

Detailed instructions he

http://www.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk/li...le_repair.aspx

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2013 16:44, Mr Fuxit wrote:
On Friday, the lorry turned up to fill a few potholes in our cul-de-
sac; all finished
by 4 PM. On Saturday, at about 11 AM, along comes a lorry-type road
sweeper
and sucks the new filling out of nearly all the repaired holes.

Sounds about right. It's a few years ago now, but we had 9 months of
disruption as they re-kerbed and re-surfaced around 3 miles of extremely
busy single carriageway road. For all that time we suffered massive
tailbacks at temporary lights with the alternative routes being many
miles out of the way and suffering their own congestion problems. Within
6 months of finishing it, a trench was dug the entire length of it to
lay fibre optic cables and the ducting for them - despite advance notice
of the resurfacing work and despite the fact that for over 90% of the
route there are large verges and even farmers fields that the ducting
could have been laid under!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2013 18:58, Nightjar wrote:
[...]

I swear that our mends are not done to those standards.

Many are not cleanly cut.
I suspect many do not have the edges coated.
I suspect the surfacing material is often not hot enough.
I don't think I ever see overbanding tape (never knew what it was called
before) or extra tar dribbled round - except the occasional utility repair.

Was the repair featured at an angle to the kerb? Wondering if making
sure such mends are at a diagonal is a better idea than square to the
traffic flow. I suspect it is.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 May 2013 22:25:59 +0100, SteveW wrote:

... and despite the fact that for over 90% of the route there are large
verges and even farmers fields that the ducting could have been laid
under!

Verges possibly depending on where the boundary between the highways and
private owners is. The fields would require wayleave(s) to be drawn up
with all the owner(s) of the fields, always assuming the owners can be
contacted and can be bothered to respond. Note the farmer using the field
may only be a tenant or renting it from another who is a tenant...

Far simpler just to dig up the road.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2013 22:45, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
SteveW wrote:

[...]

I think these days the County Council can do something about that. In
the old days they had no say in such matters. A utility had the right to
dig the road, end of....

Not quite. Even when I was working for a utility, several decades ago,
we had to give three months notice of any planned work, so that it could
be matched in with road resurfacing work or work by other utilities.

They had to restore it but as we all know that's
approximate.

The CC had to approve the repair, although there would be a temporary
repair to begin with and a permanent repair after the ground has had
time to settle, usually a few months later.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

All of this is of course due to the new way that councils do jobs. they
contract them out and to give the companies flexibility they say any time
between march and july, but of course one contractor does one thing another
does another and none of them talk to each other at all.
Brian

Email:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article
,
Mr Fuxit wrote:

On Friday, the lorry turned up to fill a few potholes in our cul-de-
sac; all finished
by 4 PM. On Saturday, at about 11 AM, along comes a lorry-type road
sweeper
and sucks the new filling out of nearly all the repaired holes.

Where's this?

--
Tim

"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines
imposed,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , SteveW
writes
[...]

They have to pay farmers to lay ducts in farmland. Also land agents fees
are chargeable to the project. Another consideration is the multiplicity
of landowners involved and the possibility of legal action.

Fibre optic was laid along our relatively new by-pass but they used the
verges. I did wonder if channelling the bridges compromised their
structural integrity:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 May 2013 15:04:33 GMT, The Other John
wrote:

Today is bin day. Pavements cluttered up with big brown, black and green
things. What does (presumably the same department) council do? It sent
the mechanical pavement sweepers down our road! You should see them
deftly weaving in and out of the assembled bins leaving the muck
underneath them for another day! Brilliant.

TOJ.

You need to point this out to them.
They should readjust the timetable to ensure they come after bin day.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Today is bin day. Pavements cluttered up with big brown, black and green
things. What does (presumably the same department) council do? It sent
the mechanical pavement sweepers down our road! You should see them
deftly weaving in and out of the assembled bins leaving the muck
underneath them for another day! Brilliant.

TOJ.

You need to point this out to them.
They should readjust the timetable to ensure they come after bin day.

A few weeks ago the roads in our town centre were to be re-surfaced. Signs
were up all week warning that there would be major works and no parking from
08:30 on the Sunday morning. 07:30 that morning a cabling team working for
BT arrive with trucks towing big reels of cable and winches and start
replacing underground cables right through the area to be re-surfaced.
Re-surfacing teams turn up at 08:30 and stand around for 3 hours watching
the cables then go home achieving nothing!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
writes

Fibre optic was laid along our relatively new by-pass but they used the
verges. I did wonder if channelling the bridges compromised their
structural integrity:-)

Dunno about bridges but I know they are very careful in multi storey car
parks, all traffic sensors are above ground, no grooving in is allowed.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-05-10, fred wrote:
In article , Tim Lamb
writes

Fibre optic was laid along our relatively new by-pass but they used the
verges. I did wonder if channelling the bridges compromised their
structural integrity:-)

Dunno about bridges but I know they are very careful in multi storey car
parks, all traffic sensors are above ground, no grooving in is allowed.

Having watched them erect a multistorey car park in Welwyn Garden City, I'm
not surprised. And I wouldn't go in it once it was open, either.

They built the pillars to the finished height, then laid the floors one on
top of another on the ground, with release agent between them, waited for the
whole lot to set, then put hydraulic motors on the tops of the pillars and
lifted the floors into place. Better hope the bolts holding the floors onto
the pillars don't corrode ...

I recall a building in Manchester being constructed in a similar
manner back in the early seventies, and have seen several instances
since.
There's also a hangar at Manchester Airport whose roof was erected on
somewhat similar principles.

Fatally Flawed have joined the IET ARW UK diy 0 October 22nd 12 10:27 PM
Two lots of regs - no joined up thinking ... Arfa Daily UK diy 29 July 18th 11 10:15 PM
Just Joined! Mike Electronics Repair 21 July 27th 09 02:25 PM
Just joined ValleyMetal group JohnF Metalworking 0 February 24th 05 06:09 PM
Two 15 amp circuits joined RC Home Repair 5 December 9th 04 12:09 AM