Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Size for wood rails for fence

Would 3" x 1" inch rails be sufficient for a fence.
Or should I use 3 x 2 inch?
Vertical slats with a slight gap between the slats.
Max height 6 feet. Posts 6 feet apart.
thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
Would 3" x 1" inch rails be sufficient for a fence.
Or should I use 3 x 2 inch?
Vertical slats with a slight gap between the slats.
Max height 6 feet. Posts 6 feet apart.
thanks

ex 3" arris rails would be stiffer and the conventional approach.
Self draining too
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 4, 3:45*pm, ss wrote:
Would 3" x 1" inch rails be sufficient for a fence.
Or should I use 3 x 2 inch?
Vertical slats with a slight gap between the slats.
Max height 6 feet. Posts 6 feet apart.

It depends on the purpose of the fence.
If it is ornamental, it can be as light as you like.
If it is to keep something/one in/out, it needs to be stronger.

Also depends on how windy it is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2013 15:45, ss wrote:
Would 3" x 1" inch rails be sufficient for a fence.
Or should I use 3 x 2 inch?
Vertical slats with a slight gap between the slats.
Max height 6 feet. Posts 6 feet apart.
thanks

I used 4x2 cross rails with4 x 1 slats, aprox 1" between each slat, and
another row behind cross rail ...staggered
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 04/05/2013 17:55, harry wrote:
On May 4, 3:45 pm, wrote:
Would 3" x 1" inch rails be sufficient for a fence.
Or should I use 3 x 2 inch?
Vertical slats with a slight gap between the slats.
Max height 6 feet. Posts 6 feet apart.

It depends on the purpose of the fence.
If it is ornamental, it can be as light as you like.
If it is to keep something/one in/out, it needs to be stronger.

Also depends on how windy it is.

Just to improve privacy, I have a hedge at the back of the fence but
foliage disappears in Winter, and a road beyond that. Wind factor
normally is ok except when we get any storms (Scotland). Crime rate low
so I dont expect intruders.

Fence Rails: 2 or 3? mike Home Repair 25 October 31st 17 12:14 PM
How do I cut the ends on these fence rails? [email protected] Woodworking 27 May 9th 17 11:40 AM
Specific type of tubing for Exacta fence rails? sailor Woodworking 3 September 27th 06 12:33 AM
wood fence post size - bigger is better? peter Home Repair 8 July 12th 05 07:54 PM
Can I upgrade my rails and fence? stoutman Woodworking 8 January 21st 05 03:18 PM