Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT-Bad Maths?

So according to:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22310186

"Mathematician" Coralie Colmez claims that if you do a DNA analysis on an
unreliably small piece of evidence and get the same result as the first
time, this strengthens the case that the original result is correct and uses
some coin-tossing explanation to "prove" her case.

I disagree, her corroborating example repeats the same tests on *different*
data whereas doing the DNA test again would be repeating it on the *same*
data (and as such, is completely worthless extra information).

I think that she has fundamentally missed the point about the unreliability
of the source data here.

Anyone any better ideas than me, what is the right answer here?

(I should really be posting this to ul, but I think the science experts are
in this group?)

TIA

tim

Maths is hard! - Electricity prices HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 4 September 27th 11 07:03 AM
Metal maths help please. T i m UK diy 0 September 17th 09 07:17 PM
Designing wooden structures using maths - where to start ? Simon[_7_] UK diy 4 June 10th 08 08:46 AM
Dumb plumbing / maths question :-} Colin Wilson UK diy 10 May 17th 06 09:22 PM
Roof Angle Maths David Lang UK diy 14 July 23rd 05 10:01 PM