DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Machine Mart - small claim (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/355508-machine-mart-small-claim.html)

Tim Watts[_2_] August 18th 13 07:49 AM

Machine Mart - small claim

On 2013-08-17, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 17/08/2013 20:50, Tim Watts wrote:
On Saturday 17 August 2013 17:56 Tim Watts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Saturday 17 August 2013 17:51 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Machi...t/161933016613

If I understand FB correctly, they seem to have closed comments.

Seems to be still open - are you logged in?

Posts deleted, recommendations gone...

Someone is wasting a *lot* of time...

So the more we comment, the more time they waste? :-)

Sadly, they almost certainly have a contract with a third party to do
moderation.

Sub contract moderation - that is a sad concept.

So the idiots probably do not even realise...

Reading this on the web? See:

Tim Watts[_2_] August 18th 13 12:28 PM

Machine Mart - small claim

On 2013-08-18, Tim Watts wrote:

Sub contract moderation - that is a sad concept.

So the idiots probably do not even realise...

Almost certainly. The whole thing will be contracted out. MM probably
have very little to do with running their FB site. If we want to make
the point that MM have shot themselves in the foot, we'd be better
off mailing their directors. (That's how I got the traffic shaping
taken off my broadband.)

Probably snail mail then. I looked for email addresses and turned up blank.

Reading this on the web? See:

Jim K[_3_] August 18th 13 01:07 PM

Machine Mart - small claim

On 2013-08-18, Tim Watts wrote:

Sub contract moderation - that is a sad concept.

So the idiots probably do not even realise...

Almost certainly. The whole thing will be contracted out. MM probably

have very little to do with running their FB site. If we want to make

the point that MM have shot themselves in the foot, we'd be better

off mailing their directors. (That's how I got the traffic shaping

taken off my broadband.)

Probably snail mail then. I looked for email addresses and turned up blank.

there's 5 directors youngest is 48 oldest is 70 odd.
includes messrs clarke of a familiar sounding brand name......

Mr Kenneth Albert Stephenson (born 69 years ago)
Director, Management Consultant
12 Sep 1996 — Present (16 years, 11 months, 6 days)

Ms Jacqueline Williams (born 48 years ago)
Director, Company Secretary
04 Dec 2009 — Present (3 years, 8 months, 14 days)

Mrs Sandra Elaine Clarke (born 70 years ago)
Director, Director
24 Mar 2011 — Present (2 years, 4 months, 25 days)

Mr John Alan Clarke (born 70 years ago)
Director, Director
24 Mar 2011 — Present (2 years, 4 months, 25 days)

Miss Tracey Clarke (born 49 years ago)
Director, Director
24 Mar 2011 — Present (2 years, 4 months, 25 days)

Jim K

Tim Watts[_2_] August 18th 13 03:01 PM

Machine Mart - small claim

Oh look:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/Machine_Mart__5351878

Reading this on the web? See:

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] August 18th 13 04:06 PM

Machine Mart - small claim

On 18/08/13 15:01, Tim Watts wrote:
Oh look:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/Machine_Mart__5351878

might have been PC world or Dixons.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

postmaster @ stejonda[_2_] August 18th 13 05:44 PM

Machine Mart - small claim

In message , Huge
writes
On 2013-08-17, Tim Watts wrote:
On Saturday 17 August 2013 11:03 F wrote in uk.d-i-y:

So they are basically getting someone to sit on the FB page? Must be
costing them...

Fools...

You reckon they'll have someone watching it all day Sunday...?

Don;t seem to have anyone watching on Saturday!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Machi...t/161933016613

If I understand FB correctly, they seem to have closed comments.

Nope, I've just posted. :-)

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.

postmaster @ stejonda[_2_] August 18th 13 05:58 PM

Machine Mart - small claim

In message , Rick Hughes
writes
On 14/08/2013 23:32, The Other Mike wrote:

The person who attended court and has been dealing with this was
Steve Carnell
After Sales Manager
Machine Mart
211 Lower Parliament Street
Nottingham
NG1 1GN

emailed. (I went to post the email on their Fb page but I've already
been blocked. Never mind, they still allow me to make suggestions on how
their page could be improved so I sent them my email that way. :)

The Medway Handyman August 18th 13 07:11 PM

Machine Mart - small claim

On 18/08/2013 15:01, Tim Watts wrote:
Oh look:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/Machine_Mart__5351878

Not a (genuine) good review.

Andrew May August 19th 13 09:22 AM

Machine Mart - small claim

On 2013-08-17, Tim Watts wrote:
On Saturday 17 August 2013 11:03 F wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 15/08/2013 14:53 Tim Watts wrote:

14:48

Gone by 14:52

So they are basically getting someone to sit on the FB page? Must be
costing them...

Fools...

You reckon they'll have someone watching it all day Sunday...?

Don;t seem to have anyone watching on Saturday!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Machi...t/161933016613

If I understand FB correctly, they seem to have closed comments.

Would Twitter be a better medium? I don't use it so don't know the
precise details of how it works but if I understand it correctly any
message tweeted @MachineMart will be read by anyone who subscribes to
their stream. Can they stop that if they are neither the send nor the
recipient?

Tim Watts[_2_] August 19th 13 12:26 PM

Machine Mart - small claim

On 2013-08-17, Tim Watts wrote:
On Saturday 17 August 2013 11:03 F wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 15/08/2013 14:53 Tim Watts wrote:

14:48

Gone by 14:52

So they are basically getting someone to sit on the FB page? Must be
costing them...

Fools...

You reckon they'll have someone watching it all day Sunday...?

Don;t seem to have anyone watching on Saturday!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Machi...t/161933016613

If I understand FB correctly, they seem to have closed comments.

Would Twitter be a better medium? I don't use it so don't know the
precise details of how it works but if I understand it correctly any
message tweeted @MachineMart will be read by anyone who subscribes to
their stream. Can they stop that if they are neither the send nor the
recipient?

Other than lodge a complaint with twitter, not they cannot.

Reading this on the web? See:

Steve Firth August 19th 13 01:38 PM

Machine Mart - small claim

Rick Hughes wrote:
[snip]

Machine Mart have lost all future business from myself, and my family.

Caveat Emptor

For some reason Machine Mart have deleted my comment on Faecebook.

Here's a hint, they haven't deleted the comments that I made in response to
their advertising of shelves, tool kits and generators.

--
€˘DarWin|
_/ _/

Andrew May August 19th 13 02:15 PM

Machine Mart - small claim

On 17/08/2013 17:51, Huge wrote:
On 2013-08-17, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

They can block you after your first tweet @ them, but you could of
course just morph.

That's OK. It only takes each person (who has a twitter account) who
posts here to Tweet once. I assume they can't block people who haven't
yet posted - at least not without blocking _everyone_ which rather
defeats the point of Twitter.

Rick Hughes[_5_] August 19th 13 02:44 PM

Machine Mart - small claim

On 18/08/2013 15:01, Tim Watts wrote:
Oh look:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/Machine_Mart__5351878

I have posted a feedback comment - don't expect it will remain there long

Steve Firth August 19th 13 03:00 PM

Machine Mart - small claim

On 17/08/2013 17:51, Huge wrote:
On 2013-08-17, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

A quick web search shows lots of posts that confirm that this is Machine
Mart policy. BTW their T&Cs say they will only repay you with a credit note
worth 90% of the purchase price. Blatant rip off

--
€˘DarWin|
_/ _/

John Rumm August 19th 13 03:48 PM

Machine Mart - small claim

On 17/08/2013 17:51, Huge wrote:
On 2013-08-17, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Which would possibly be acceptable in a B2B contract if you were
returning stuff for no other reason than you had changed your mind or no
longer wanted the stock. Quite a different proposition if you are a
consumer returning goods under your statutory rights as not fit for
purpose, then that is not only unacceptable, but also probably not legal.

--
Cheers,

John.

Stuart Noble August 19th 13 05:17 PM

Machine Mart - small claim

On 19/08/2013 14:44, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 18/08/2013 15:01, Tim Watts wrote:
Oh look:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/Machine_Mart__5351878

I have posted a feedback comment - don't expect it will remain there long

Compare this behaviour to Screwfix who today refunded a pack of 100
coach bolts that I had bought 2 hours previously and had opened. Sure, I
replaced them with a larger size, but they didn't know if I'd taken a
few out. I was SO not expecting a refund that I left them in the car
when getting the replacement. I just happened to mention that I'd
screwed up.
Big thumbs up to Screwfix!

The Medway Handyman August 19th 13 05:41 PM

Machine Mart - small claim

On 19/08/2013 14:44, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 18/08/2013 15:01, Tim Watts wrote:
Oh look:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/Machine_Mart__5351878

I have posted a feedback comment - don't expect it will remain there long

Just looked & I can't see it Rick.

Mark August 19th 13 06:25 PM

Machine Mart - small claim

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message
On 18/08/2013 15:01, Tim Watts wrote:
Oh look:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/Machine_Mart__5351878

I have posted a feedback comment - don't expect it will remain there long

i think the next step is to see if the BBC Watchdog program would be
interested in taking this issue on.

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

-

[email protected] October 12th 13 08:06 AM

Machine Mart - small claim

I've been done over by machine mart but I don't know how to post details

Tim+ October 12th 13 08:40 AM

Machine Mart - small claim

wrote:
I've been done over by machine mart but I don't know how to post details

Tried typing?

Tim

polygonum October 12th 13 08:55 AM

Machine Mart - small claim

On 12/10/2013 08:40, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
I've been done over by machine mart but I don't know how to post details

Tried typing?

Tim

:-)

I think the OP did try that but ran out of letters.

--
Rod

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts[_2_] October 12th 13 10:11 AM

Machine Mart - small claim

wrote:

I've been done over by machine mart but I don't know how to post details

Since what you did to make that statement worked, perhaps you could explain
what you mean by "post details"? Do you mean: tell the whole wide world,
not just this newsgroup?

replacing "aaa" by "284".

Onetap October 12th 13 10:39 AM

Machine Mart - ner ner ne ner ner....

On Saturday, August 17, 2013 9:38:31 AM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Is this the first lost order?

Probably not, this episode has altered my mental rating of Machine Mart from "first few places I'd look" to a last resort, only used if I can't get an item elsewhere. I've not used them since.

[email protected] November 17th 13 10:32 AM

Machine Mart - small claim

On Sunday, April 21, 2013 7:28:30 PM UTC+1, Rick Hughes wrote:

Took it back the next day ... as I had 'opened the box' they would only

give a Credit Note.

Too late for this, but I stumbled across this whilst looking for something else.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/738..._explained.pdf

P.21;
"Credit notes
Customers do not have to accept a credit note instead of a
full refund, repair or replacement if the item is faulty; see Your
customers’ rights on faulty goods. Where a customer is entitled
to a full refund, repair or replacement you should not mislead
them into thinking that a credit note is their only option."

Grimly Curmudgeon[_3_] December 3rd 13 04:21 PM

Machine Mart - small claim

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 02:32:51 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Too late for this, but I stumbled across this whilst looking for something else.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/738..._explained.pdf

P.21;
"Credit notes
Customers do not have to accept a credit note instead of a
full refund, repair or replacement if the item is faulty; see Your
customers’ rights on faulty goods. Where a customer is entitled
to a full refund, repair or replacement you should not mislead
them into thinking that a credit note is their only option."

I know the judge in the case wasn't very happy about it, but I fail to
see why he couldn't have thrown the above at MM and told them to go
whistle.