DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dent in parquet floor (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/355034-dent-parquet-floor.html)

Timothy Murphy[_2_] April 9th 13 07:37 PM

Dent in parquet floor

A heavy (and sharp) object fell on our parquet floor,
leaving a fairly large dent.
What is the best way to fill this
and generally make it invisible?

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Tim Watts[_2_] April 9th 13 07:43 PM

Dent in parquet floor

On Tuesday 09 April 2013 19:37 Timothy Murphy wrote in uk.d-i-y:

A heavy (and sharp) object fell on our parquet floor,
leaving a fairly large dent.
What is the best way to fill this
and generally make it invisible?

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

Google for "damp paper and iron" - seem to recall damp heat can help with
wood dents. What's the finish?

Reading this on the web? See:

Bill Wright[_2_] April 9th 13 08:00 PM

Dent in parquet floor

Timothy Murphy wrote:
A heavy (and sharp) object fell on our parquet floor,
leaving a fairly large dent.
What is the best way to fill this
and generally make it invisible?

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

A mat or an umbrella stand.

Bill

polygonum April 9th 13 10:10 PM

Dent in parquet floor

On 09/04/2013 20:19, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:37:11 PM UTC+1, Timothy Murphy wrote:
A heavy (and sharp) object fell on our parquet floor,
leaving a fairly large dent.
What is the best way to fill this
and generally make it invisible?

Wet paper, iron.

NT

The wood tends to char when your pour the iron.

--
Rod

Tim Watts[_2_] April 9th 13 10:17 PM

Dent in parquet floor

On Tuesday 09 April 2013 22:10 polygonum wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 09/04/2013 20:19, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:37:11 PM UTC+1, Timothy Murphy wrote:
A heavy (and sharp) object fell on our parquet floor,
leaving a fairly large dent.
What is the best way to fill this
and generally make it invisible?

Wet paper, iron.

NT

The wood tends to char when your pour the iron.

Dent will be gone...

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog:
http://squiddy.blog.dionic.net/

Reading this on the web? See:

Nightjar April 9th 13 11:40 PM

Dent in parquet floor

On 09/04/2013 19:43, Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 09 April 2013 19:37 Timothy Murphy wrote in uk.d-i-y:

A heavy (and sharp) object fell on our parquet floor,
leaving a fairly large dent.
What is the best way to fill this
and generally make it invisible?

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

Google for "damp paper and iron" - seem to recall damp heat can help with
wood dents. What's the finish?

I think that steaming works best on shallow, rounded dents while the OP
mentioned a sharp object.

Colin Bignell

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] April 9th 13 11:50 PM

Dent in parquet floor

On 09/04/13 23:40, Nightjar wrote:
On 09/04/2013 19:43, Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 09 April 2013 19:37 Timothy Murphy wrote in uk.d-i-y:

A heavy (and sharp) object fell on our parquet floor,
leaving a fairly large dent.
What is the best way to fill this
and generally make it invisible?

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

Google for "damp paper and iron" - seem to recall damp heat can help
with
wood dents. What's the finish?

I think that steaming works best on shallow, rounded dents while the
OP mentioned a sharp object.

Colin Bignell

yes. plastic wood is not the worst thing - Ive used a darkish one. Or
get a bit of near match oak and fettle it in.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

F Murtz April 10th 13 01:09 AM

Dent in parquet floor

wrote:
On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:37:11 PM UTC+1, Timothy Murphy wrote:
A heavy (and sharp) object fell on our parquet floor,
leaving a fairly large dent.
What is the best way to fill this
and generally make it invisible?

Wet paper, iron.

NT

Cut the bit out with a multi tool and replace it.