Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dyson DC03 cyclone unclogging procedure

There probably aren't many more of these around any more, but the
procedure may be similar for other models.

The fault was that over time it gradually loses suck. The filters are
clean, but it sucks less and gets hot. Today I went to pick up some
plaster while /she/ was out and got no response at all - so I took it apart.

This is what I found:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Number774/DC03%20cyclone%20cleaning/photo0037_zps64c13857.jpg

Since it had been a bit of a pain to do I took photos as I put it back
together. Disassembly is the reverse of assembly

This is what it looked like after cleaning:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Number774/DC03%20cyclone%20cleaning/photo0040_zps4c6ba74a.jpg

Put the conical inner cyclone back into the outer, and line up the
flange with the hole
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Number774/DC03%20cyclone%20cleaning/photo0039_zps7063849d.jpg

Push hard to put the two bits back together. I found a bit of gentle
warmth (hot water) to soften the plastic slightly helped, but it still
took a lot of force - there's a ring around the inner cyclone
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Number774/DC03%20cyclone%20cleaning/photo0038_zps1d376e32.jpg
that makes them stay together. A LOT of force - I put it on the floor
and pushed.

The rest of the grey bits go back together easily, but make sure you
have the screw holes lined up - the one in the housing
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Number774/DC03%20cyclone%20cleaning/photo0041_zps347a9836.jpg,
the one in the pressure valve in the top
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Number774/DC03%20cyclone%20cleaning/photo0042_zps24bef7dc.jpg
and the one in the cyclone
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Number774/DC03%20cyclone%20cleaning/photo0043_zps40e9b01b.jpg.
Finally slide the entire cyclone back inside the housing, making sure
the bump lines up with the divot in the housing
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Number774/DC03%20cyclone%20cleaning/photo0044_zpsa9fd54a1.jpg.

You can then replace the screw
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Number774/DC03%20cyclone%20cleaning/photo0045_zps06d1f02b.jpg
and then push back the rubber seal that hides it
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Number774/DC03%20cyclone%20cleaning/photo0046_zps1a495717.jpg.
The yellow clip just clicks back into place - the spring goes on the
plus-shaped bit.

When taking it apart the yellow clip needs to be prised out first, not
forgetting the spring underneath that will make a bid for freedom. You
need a thin bladed screwdriver to open the housing slightly so it comes
out. It doesn't look like it wants to, and you really need about 5
hands. This lets you get to the torx screw.

There's only one screw, but the grit and dirt which is why you started
means nothing will want to come apart.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 23:02:17 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

There probably aren't many more of these around any more, but the
procedure may be similar for other models.

The fault was that over time it gradually loses suck.

Cue long thread about how with a Miele/Sebo/Henry/Panasonic/Vax you'd only have
to wash / replace the filter and it would still be sucking 'like new' 1000 years
later

Got two DC01's one dating from 1993, one maybe a year or two later and a DC04
from and a shagged out Henry in the workshop. Given a choice I wouldn't use
anything but a Dyson. He's a design genius (albeit one that nicked the basic
idea from industry)

The DC01's and a scrap heap acquired DC04 have been pressure washed or soaked in
a tub of hot soapy water in the past to clean the cyclones. The latter was
dumped again as it stunk of tobacco.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2013 13:18, The Other Mike wrote:

The DC01's and a scrap heap acquired DC04 have been pressure washed or soaked in
a tub of hot soapy water in the past to clean the cyclones. The latter was
dumped again as it stunk of tobacco.

Forget pressure washing. What you need is petrol. Then it'll be clean as
a whistle )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJQjeBWvm-0

Cheers,

Colin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-03-15, Colin Stamp wrote:
On 15/03/2013 13:18, The Other Mike wrote:

The DC01's and a scrap heap acquired DC04 have been pressure washed or
soaked in
a tub of hot soapy water in the past to clean the cyclones. The latter
was
dumped again as it stunk of tobacco.

Forget pressure washing. What you need is petrol. Then it'll be clean as
a whistle )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJQjeBWvm-0

I borrowed a neigbours Die-soon yesterday. First time I've ever used
one, and it confirmed what I've always thought about them. Hideous,
heavy, useless, fragile PoS. And it blocked up.

It probably needed a good clean-out. Either that or it wasn't re-assembled
properly, our one relies on the suction to make airtight joins everywhere,
one bit of dirt in a seal and it's useless. Sometimes you just need to pull
one of the removable bits off and put it back on, then it works like a
dream. The brushes tend to get very matted with bits of carpet too, it's
worth spending a few minutes a month cutting all the threads out of it with
a stanley knife.

They do clog up easily but when you take the time to dismantle, clean and
re-assemble, they're very good. Maybe a bit too complicated for their own
good sometimes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bod bod is offline

On 2013-03-15, Colin Stamp wrote:
On 15/03/2013 13:18, The Other Mike wrote:

The DC01's and a scrap heap acquired DC04 have been pressure washed or
soaked in
a tub of hot soapy water in the past to clean the cyclones. The latter
was
dumped again as it stunk of tobacco.

Forget pressure washing. What you need is petrol. Then it'll be clean as
a whistle )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJQjeBWvm-0

I borrowed a neigbours Die-soon yesterday. First time I've ever used
one, and it confirmed what I've always thought about them. Hideous,
heavy, useless, fragile PoS. And it blocked up.

It probably needed a good clean-out.

I gave it a good clean-out in desperation at how pitiful the result was. No
change. I ended up picking up bits of stuff off the carpets by hand.

Sometimes you just need to pull
one of the removable bits off and put it back on, then it works like a
dream. The brushes tend to get very matted with bits of carpet too, it's
worth spending a few minutes a month cutting all the threads out of it with
a stanley knife.

They do clog up easily but when you take the time to dismantle, clean and
re-assemble, they're very good. Maybe a bit too complicated for their own
good sometimes.

Thanks but I'll stick to both my opinion and my Sebo X-1.

(Oh, BTW, my wife thought the Die-soon was crap, too.)

We've had a Dyson for over 9 years and it's been superb. Can't fault it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-03-15, Colin Stamp wrote:
On 15/03/2013 13:18, The Other Mike wrote:

The DC01's and a scrap heap acquired DC04 have been pressure washed or soaked in
a tub of hot soapy water in the past to clean the cyclones. The latter was
dumped again as it stunk of tobacco.

Forget pressure washing. What you need is petrol. Then it'll be clean as
a whistle )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJQjeBWvm-0

I borrowed a neigbours Die-soon yesterday. First time I've ever used
one, and it confirmed what I've always thought about them. Hideous,
heavy, useless, fragile PoS. And it blocked up.

Yes here we go again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 15, 6:19*pm, Huge wrote:

Thanks but I'll stick to both my opinion and my Sebo X-1.

one is left wondering why, if yours is so good, did you feel the need
to borrow you neighbours' Dyson?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2013 18:19, Huge wrote:

I gave it a good clean-out in desperation at how pitiful the result was. No
change. I ended up picking up bits of stuff off the carpets by hand.

One thing I've noticed about Dysons, is that there is enough suction to
make people fail to notice that the belt or clutch broke three months
ago and the brushes haven't moved since.

Cheers,

Colin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just followed this walkthrough (backwards and then forwards!) and it worked out really well. Thanks for posting it.
Peter

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 11:02:17 PM UTC, Andy Champ wrote:
[...]

Dyson DC03, how to shorten hose to mend split? Mike Barnes UK diy 8 October 22nd 08 10:35 PM
Dyson DC03 belt P.R.Brady UK diy 1 August 26th 05 01:02 PM
Dyson DA 001 cyclone vacuum cleaner N Cook Electronics Repair 7 January 28th 05 04:20 PM
Dyson DC03 UK diy 2 November 23rd 04 01:01 AM
Dyson DC03 Help Please? Guy Smith Home Repair 0 June 24th 04 06:29 PM