DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Remote temperature sensors - multiple sensors? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/353759-remote-temperature-sensors-multiple-sensors.html)

David.WE.Roberts March 5th 13 05:21 PM

Remote temperature sensors - multiple sensors?

At the moment I have three 'weather stations' which are an indoor
thermometer and clock and atmospheric pressure sensor, and a remote
temperature sensor.

The first I bought from Tcibo, and it has been very reliable.

The other two are from Lidl/Aldi and both keep losing contact with the
external sensor.
So not that much good.
Not the temperature sensors fighting each other as one was for the camper
van and it didn't work well out in a field with nobody else around.

Now I would really like to be able to have a number of temperature sensors
around the house, both inside and out, and to read all the temperatures at
one station, preferably a PC.

Now these 'weather stations' are pretty cheap, so the remote sensor must
be very cheap.

So you would think that you could buy say six budget temperature sensors
and a base station for this kind of application.

However Google is so far not my friend.

Anyone done this kind of thing?

Cheers

Dave R

Stephen H[_2_] March 5th 13 05:31 PM

Remote temperature sensors - multiple sensors?

On 05/03/2013 21:51, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 19:27:01 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I use dallas 1-wire digital thermometers around the house. These are not
wireless, and require a twisted pair to link them all, or 3 conductors,
depending if they are driven in 1-wire mode, or with a separate supply
line.

Any outdoor ones? When I briefly looked at this a couple of years ago,
IIRC the Dallas parts were suited toward only part of the potential
temperature range, so I was going to have to double up all the sensors
(one p/n for colder temps and another for hotter) and read the 'best' one
based on the time of year. I can't remember if they outright died beyond
their limits, or if it was just that they were only accurate over part of
the range.

cheers

Jules

if you happen to have every room wired up with lots of ethernet cat5
ports/sockets, you can get modules that do environmental monitoring of
server rooms and report back the temperature and humidity to a central
monitoring PC.

Googling for temperature ethernet sensor yields:

http://www.proges.com/en/plug-and-tr...e-sensors.html

http://www.audon.co.uk/ethernet_sensors/tme.html

http://www.hw-group.com/products/HWg...sensor_en.html

if you're really lucky to have PoE on your network, you may be even
luckier still to find temperature to ethernet modules that take power
from PoE which simplifies installation and setup considerably.

polygonum March 5th 13 06:06 PM

On 05/03/2013 17:21, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
[...]

We have got an old Tchibo one - still going strong.

And some Oregon ones - two base stations and three remote sensors. Mixed
feelings. They work. But are not rechargeable-battery friendly. They
don't like the lower voltage and/or outdoor temperatures. That is, they
work for a while when freshly charged and at comfortable rather than
cold temperatures.

Would like to have got decent kit and been able to connect to PC, etc.
but could never quite justify it.

I am a bit surprised that there does not (yet?) seem to be available a
nice little bluetooth temperature sensor - and a nice little price. Or
have I missed them?

Did see this:

http://hackaday.com/2010/12/10/bluet...rature-module/

--
Rod

Rod Speed March 5th 13 07:06 PM

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

I want lots of temperature sensors, for the fridges, freezers,
the various batches of beer brewing, oven, room temps in more
than one place etc and would like to have a source of decent
cheap wifi or bluetooth sensors, just so there isnt a mess of
wiring for them. Nothing at all at sensible prices.

Hordes of dirt cheap USB temperature sensors, but thats
nothing like as easy to use into the PC or whatever because
I want them scattered pretty widely.

I'd also like a few others with just contact closure etc
for stuff like the gates and letterbox lid etc outside.

There is one hell of a market there that no
chinese person appears to have noticed yet.

Andrew Gabriel March 5th 13 07:27 PM

Remote temperature sensors - multiple sensors?

In article ,
"David.WE.Roberts" writes:
[...]

You will need something to interface the Dallas 1-wire
protocol to a serial port or a USB-serial adaptor.
A raspberry pi can just about bit-bang the dallas 1-wire
protocol with the 1-wire driver included in the Wheezy
distro (which will only do a single 1-wire bus AFAIK, but
you can have lots of sensors on it), and that's not very
expensive. (It occasionally fails to read the 1-wire bus,
but you can simply do it again when this happens.)

Before doing this I bought a bare 433MHz receiver with a
view of decoding the Oregon Scientific signal, but I gave
up trying to make that work. (I could see the transmissions
on a scope, but they were very hard to separate from noise
in software, and I didn't get as far as working out what
the encoding was.)

--
Andrew Gabriel

John Rumm March 5th 13 08:14 PM

Remote temperature sensors - multiple sensors?

On 05/03/2013 19:27, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"David.WE.Roberts" writes:
[...]

There is also some info on doing it via I2c he

http://www.element14.com/community/g...e-raspberry-pi

--
Cheers,

John.

WetClay March 5th 13 08:16 PM

"David.WE.Roberts" writes:
[...]

In a similar vein, my house contains a small network of "2-wire" digital
temperature sensors based on this design:
http://www.riccibitti.com/pc_therm.htm

Andrew Gabriel March 6th 13 12:20 AM

Jules Richardson writes:
On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 19:27:01 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I use dallas 1-wire digital thermometers around the house. These are not
wireless, and require a twisted pair to link them all, or 3 conductors,
depending if they are driven in 1-wire mode, or with a separate supply
line.

Any outdoor ones?

Yes, and in the freezer at below -20C.
The DS18B20+ does -55°C to +125°C.
There are older part numbers with less range and/or less resolution
(and most of mine are 10 years old, so are older parts).

Maxim/Dallas recommend you always use a separate power rail when using
them at high temperatures, as the increased leakage in the package
means their capacitor may run flat before completeing the temperature
conversion when powered off the data line.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] March 6th 13 12:56 AM

On 05/03/13 21:51, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 19:27:01 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I use dallas 1-wire digital thermometers around the house. These are not
wireless, and require a twisted pair to link them all, or 3 conductors,
depending if they are driven in 1-wire mode, or with a separate supply
line.

Any outdoor ones? When I briefly looked at this a couple of years ago,
IIRC the Dallas parts were suited toward only part of the potential
temperature range, so I was going to have to double up all the sensors
(one p/n for colder temps and another for hotter) and read the 'best' one
based on the time of year. I can't remember if they outright died beyond
their limits, or if it was just that they were only accurate over part of
the range.

cheers

Jules

I've got a brilliant remote temperature sensor. Its called RAF
Lakenheath & it tells me how cold it is outside via a widget on the
computer :-)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

PeterC March 6th 13 07:21 AM

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 00:56:13 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

Would one of those fit in me garden shed?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

David.WE.Roberts March 6th 13 08:12 AM

[...]

Won't, for example, measure the input and output temperature of the air
going through my experimental heat transfer system.

Or the difference inside and outside the canopy over the veranda.

Various product write ups suggest that there may be a maximum of three
wireless channels available at 433MHz - unless the industry standard
chipset only supports 3.

If I was using wired sensors, I should have installed the wires during
refurbishment as chopping in new wires now is not going to be popular.

Strange that there isn't a budget USB base station with (e.g.) 3 remote
temperature sensors as you can buy the stand alone setup from Oregon
Scientific for around £40.
http://uk.oregonscientific.com/cat-W...d-Offers-prod-
Elements-Weather-Station-plus-2-extra-sensors.html#.UTb6EtaeN8E
http://tinyurl.com/bm7wpzk

Cheers

Dave R

Tim Lamb[_2_] March 6th 13 08:43 AM

Remote temperature sensors - multiple sensors?

In message , David.WE.Roberts
writes
[...]

Somebody gifted me a *remote thermometer alarm kit* made for and
purchased from ASDA! (model no 41311) dated 06/08/11

The instructions say that pressing the *CH* button allows you to select
a channel (1-3) giving you the option to poll 3 outdoor sensors. There
is a miniature jack socket on the sender enclosure but no explanation of
any purpose

This implies that the remote sender is available separately.

The unit looks very much like other Oregon Scientific stuff I have but
maybe a knock off?

--
Tim Lamb

Andy Champ[_2_] March 6th 13 09:51 AM

Remote temperature sensors - multiple sensors?

On 05/03/2013 19:27, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I use dallas 1-wire digital thermometers around the house.
These are not wireless, and require a twisted pair

Am I the only person trying to work out how "1-wire" means twisted pair?

Andy

Tim Watts[_2_] March 6th 13 10:03 AM

On Wednesday 06 March 2013 09:51 Andy Champ wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 05/03/2013 19:27, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I use dallas 1-wire digital thermometers around the house.
These are not wireless, and require a twisted pair

Am I the only person trying to work out how "1-wire" means twisted pair?

Andy

The name is erroneous - a marketing gimmick - it means "1 wire for +ve power
and data combined" - you still have a 2nd wire for ground...

Reading this on the web? See:

polygonum March 6th 13 10:09 AM

On 06/03/2013 10:03, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 06 March 2013 09:51 Andy Champ wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 05/03/2013 19:27, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I use dallas 1-wire digital thermometers around the house.
These are not wireless, and require a twisted pair

Am I the only person trying to work out how "1-wire" means twisted pair?

Andy

The name is erroneous - a marketing gimmick - it means "1 wire for +ve power
and data combined" - you still have a 2nd wire for ground...

I too had forgotten what that was about. Thanks.

--
Rod

robgraham March 6th 13 10:54 AM

On Mar 6, 10:09*am, polygonum wrote:
On 06/03/2013 10:03, Tim Watts wrote: On Wednesday 06 March 2013 09:51 Andy Champ wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 05/03/2013 19:27, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I use dallas 1-wire digital thermometers around the house.
These are not wireless, and require a twisted pair

Am I the only person trying to work out how "1-wire" means twisted pair?

Andy

The name is erroneous - a marketing gimmick - it means "1 wire for +ve power
and data combined" - you still have a 2nd wire for ground...

I too had forgotten what that was about. Thanks.

--
Rod

Not that this is any particular help to the OP, but there's a small
module on the market that gives you a serial signal of T and RH -
DHT11. They just a bit over a quid each. I don't have the spec in
front of me at the moment so I don't know what temperature range they
go to. It's a 4 lead device about 10mm square. I'm about to couple a
group of them to an Arduino to see if I can cut down the what seems
excessive underfloor ventilation here.

Rob

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] March 6th 13 11:10 AM

On 06/03/13 07:21, PeterC wrote:
[...]

No.

Ive got another remote temperature gauge that's also brilliant. Its
attached to the oil tank. It's supposed to tell me how much oil us
there, but below -2C it simply stops working. :-)

whisky-dave[_2_] March 6th 13 01:41 PM

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:03:14 AM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 06 March 2013 09:51 Andy Champ wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 05/03/2013 19:27, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I use dallas 1-wire digital thermometers around the house.

These are not wireless, and require a twisted pair

Am I the only person trying to work out how "1-wire" means twisted pair?

Andy

The name is erroneous - a marketing gimmick - it means "1 wire for +ve power

and data combined" - you still have a 2nd wire for ground...

No what it means is it only needs one port pin on the processor, but still a gimmick in the wording I think.
I have two of these sitting next to my sandwiches at the moment.
Note that they have 3 pins too ;-)

http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/cata...FaLHtAodCkQAtg

Reading this on the web? See:

[email protected] March 6th 13 01:56 PM

On Wednesday, 6 March 2013 10:03:14 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On Wednesday 06 March 2013 09:51 Andy Champ wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 05/03/2013 19:27, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I use dallas 1-wire digital thermometers around the house.

These are not wireless, and require a twisted pair

Am I the only person trying to work out how "1-wire" means twisted pair?

Andy

The name is erroneous - a marketing gimmick - it means "1 wire for +ve power

and data combined" - you still have a 2nd wire for ground...

There are actually three wires! Ground, data and power. Some 1-wire devices can derive enough power from the data wire to run without the power wire, but not all can. 1-wire refers to a single wire being used for data/signal, unlike other hardware protocols which require data + clock at least.

I've got multiple 1-wire temperature sensors hanging off my Raspberry Pi. Some distros for the Pi (e.g, Occidentalis) allow 1-wire devices to be connected to a GPIO, but I've got mine working off an I2C 1-wire bus master, which then makes the sensors available through a file-system interface.

dan.

PeterC March 6th 13 05:20 PM

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 11:10:55 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I've got a brilliant remote temperature sensor. Its called RAF
Lakenheath & it tells me how cold it is outside via a widget on the
computer :-)

Would one of those fit in me garden shed?

No.

Ive got another remote temperature gauge that's also brilliant. Its
attached to the oil tank. It's supposed to tell me how much oil us
there, but below -2C it simply stops working. :-)

Prolly needs oiling.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

David.WE.Roberts March 6th 13 07:45 PM

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 05:56:05 -0800, dwtowner wrote:

[...]

....errrr.....a data wire but no clock signal wire?
So asynchronous as opposed to synchronous data?

Or is it that it is assumed that data is only going in one direction, so
the usual minimal TXD, RXD, GND (3 wire) configuration for asynchronous
serial data (without any handshaking pins) is cut down to a single data
wire plus earth?

If I remember my asynchronous communications (RS232 or V.24) which I
probably don't after all these years then the signal was a voltage on the
data line with respect to earth/ground.

I see from above a dedicated power line would be to power the remote
device if it had no power source of its own.
Taking power from the data line - not sure how this would work but I
haven't looked at data comms for some years.

Cheers

Dave R

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] March 6th 13 07:50 PM

On 05/03/13 17:31, Stephen H wrote:
[...]

The audon one looks handy.

Id like that here.. to remind SWMBO to bring the hose in - especially
the nozzle thing - when it goes below freezing. That's one a year she's
broken.

By the way considering the OP was after shed monitoring, its worth
pointing out that you can trail a 100m* of CAT5 and a LV power cable
from a wall wart down under the garden easily enough inside a bit of e.g
hose or the like.

I have to say that I am more and more finding all foirms of RF doint
play nice with this house. Distances are too large and tehres to much
metal in it.

Gimme cat 5 any time.

*The length limits on CAT5 are not an issue with a SWITCH as opposed to
a HUB, because there are no collision possibilities down a single piece
of duplex cable. 10Mbps is easily achievable over that sort of length.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] March 6th 13 08:05 PM

On 06/03/13 19:45, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
[...]

well that depends on what is on the line.

Or is it that it is assumed that data is only going in one direction, so
the usual minimal TXD, RXD, GND (3 wire) configuration for asynchronous
serial data (without any handshaking pins) is cut down to a single data
wire plus earth?

It is a very simple very crude BUS system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Wire

Not a pint to point bidirectional. Mire HPIB than serial ...

If I remember my asynchronous communications (RS232 or V.24) which I
probably don't after all these years then the signal was a voltage on the
data line with respect to earth/ground.

I see from above a dedicated power line would be to power the remote
device if it had no power source of its own.
Taking power from the data line - not sure how this would work but I
haven't looked at data comms for some years.

the data line is normally high. an 800pF cap in each slave stores
charge when the voltage goes low..

Its designed to be very minimal, pretty slow and needs a master with
most of the intelligence. In practice the master IIRC says 'hello XYZ
address' and the slave says 'here I am and this is my value' and that's IT.

Cutting all power to all devices resets them. Neat huh?

Cheers

Dave R

David.WE.Roberts March 6th 13 08:35 PM

"David.WE.Roberts" writes:
At the moment I have three 'weather stations' which are an indoor
thermometer and clock and atmospheric pressure sensor, and a remote
temperature sensor.

snip
[...]

Do you mean something like
http://www.altelectronics.co.uk/projects/p193/
which looks interesting.

Cheers

Dave R

David.WE.Roberts March 6th 13 09:19 PM

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 19:50:49 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

http://www.proges.com/en/plug-and-tr...s-on-ethernet/

ethernet-temperature-sensors.html

http://www.audon.co.uk/ethernet_sensors/tme.html

http://www.hw-group.com/products/HWg-STE/

STE_ip_temperature_sensor_en.html

[...]

Don't recall saying it was for TMOAS - although that might be a
possibility.

Also, I do have a partially implemented CAT5E cabling scheme to the shed
and I also have mains power, water, and drainage.

At the moment I have an indoor and an outdoor (in the shade at the end of
the garage) temperature monitor from Tchibo which works very well but I
now want to monitor a couple of other places as well outside and two or
three places inside (but not all the time).

It looks as though a 3 sensor package from Oregon might do most of what I
want (apart from PC connection).

I think that the Oregon kit goes up to 8 channels in some cases, but
starts to get expensive.

Now rapidly expanding my required reading as I Google more stuff.

Cheers

Dave R

Andrew Gabriel March 6th 13 11:34 PM

writes:
I've got multiple 1-wire temperature sensors hanging off my Raspberry Pi. Some distros for the Pi (e.g, Occidentalis) allow 1-wire devices to be connected to a GPIO, but I've got mine working off an I2C 1-wire bus master, which then makes the sensors available through a file-system interface.

The 1-wire bit-banging driver also gives you access via the filesystem
interface (not that I actually like that filesystem interface).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Man at B&Q March 7th 13 12:56 PM

On 6 Mar, 13:56, wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 March 2013 10:03:14 UTC, Tim Watts *wrote:
On Wednesday 06 March 2013 09:51 Andy Champ wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 05/03/2013 19:27, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I use dallas 1-wire digital thermometers around the house.

These are not wireless, and require a twisted pair

Am I the only person trying to work out how "1-wire" means twisted pair?

Andy

The name is erroneous - a marketing gimmick - it means "1 wire for +ve power

and data combined" - you still have a 2nd wire for ground...

There are actually three wires! Ground, data and power. Some 1-wire devices can derive enough power from the data wire to run without the power wire, but not all can. 1-wire refers to a single wire being used for data/signal,

You are confused.

unlike other hardware protocols which require data + clock at least.

There are no end of protocols that embed clock (or other timing
information) and data in the same wire.

MBQ

Man at B&Q March 7th 13 01:10 PM

On 6 Mar, 19:45, "David.WE.Roberts" wrote:
[...]

What's wrong with that?

So asynchronous as opposed to synchronous data?

Isochronous.

MBQ

Jules Richardson[_2_] March 12th 13 12:35 PM

Remote temperature sensors - multiple sensors?

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 00:20:23 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Jules Richardson writes:
On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 19:27:01 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I use dallas 1-wire digital thermometers around the house. These are
not wireless, and require a twisted pair to link them all, or 3
conductors, depending if they are driven in 1-wire mode, or with a
separate supply line.

Any outdoor ones?

Yes, and in the freezer at below -20C.
The DS18B20+ does -55°C to +125°C.
There are older part numbers with less range and/or less resolution (and
most of mine are 10 years old, so are older parts).

Ah, that one would work, then. The upper limit's not a problem, but we
can occasionally get down to -50C here, and the parts that I looked at
wouldn't quite cover the lower limit while still giving a reading at
sensible summer temperatures.

cheers

Jules

Geo[_3_] March 17th 13 01:57 PM

Remote temperature sensors - multiple sensors?

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 02:54:33 -0800 (PST), robgraham
wrote:

Not that this is any particular help to the OP, but there's a small
module on the market that gives you a serial signal of T and RH -
DHT11. They just a bit over a quid each. I don't have the spec in
front of me at the moment so I don't know what temperature range they
go to. It's a 4 lead device about 10mm square. I'm about to couple a
group of them to an Arduino to see if I can cut down the what seems
excessive underfloor ventilation here.

You may find that they have too wide a spread to be useful - I
intended to display inside and outside loft temperature and humidity
and bought three devices. The most closely matched pair (located at
same point in loft) show nearly 20% difference:-

"Last data on 17/03/2013 at 13:50:17 GMT

Environment

Loft 5 °C 59 %RH
Outside 6 °C 40 %RH "

Someone else found same result:-
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/vi...p?f=37&t=33290

Windmill[_3_] March 19th 13 08:17 AM

Jules Richardson writes:

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 19:27:01 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I use dallas 1-wire digital thermometers around the house. These are not
wireless, and require a twisted pair to link them all, or 3 conductors,
depending if they are driven in 1-wire mode, or with a separate supply
line.

Any outdoor ones? When I briefly looked at this a couple of years ago,
IIRC the Dallas parts were suited toward only part of the potential
temperature range, so I was going to have to double up all the sensors
(one p/n for colder temps and another for hotter) and read the 'best' one
based on the time of year. I can't remember if they outright died beyond
their limits, or if it was just that they were only accurate over part of
the range.

Is this perhaps overkill? One could hook ten cheap low-power silicon
diodes in series, pass a more-or less fixed current through them via a
resistor from a remote 12 volt source, hook it all up via twisted pair,
thin coax, or whatever, and use a rasp or arduino to measure the
voltage, which will vary with temperature.
One doesn't need precision of 0.1C in most cases.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m