DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   which end of radiator ? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/353111-end-radiator.html)

Dave West[_3_] February 16th 13 01:34 PM

which end of radiator ?

We have a bedroom radiator that we occasionally want to turn right down. It
has 'tamper-proof' caps on the valves at each end. So I will replace one cap
with a new one that easily allows the turning of the valve.

Is it advisable to put the new cap on either the water incoming end or the
water outgoing end of the radiator?

Andrew Gabriel February 16th 13 02:08 PM

which end of radiator ?

In article ,
"Dave West" writes:
We have a bedroom radiator that we occasionally want to turn right down. It
has 'tamper-proof' caps on the valves at each end. So I will replace one cap
with a new one that easily allows the turning of the valve.

Is it advisable to put the new cap on either the water incoming end or the
water outgoing end of the radiator?

That can mean it's the bypass loop for the system, so you
can't turn it down. You can reduce its output by partially or
fully covering it with towels or similar.

Otherwise, you will first have to show it isn't the bypass loop
for the system.

Is the system's thermostat in the same room? If so turn that down.
If that makes the rest of the house too cold, use the towel method
aa20s above.

BTW, doesn't matter which end the flow is controlled from.
Some early TRVs did care which way the water flows through them,
but I don't think any current ones do.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Fredxx[_3_] February 16th 13 02:08 PM

which end of radiator ?

On 16/02/2013 13:34, Dave West wrote:
We have a bedroom radiator that we occasionally want to turn right down. It
has 'tamper-proof' caps on the valves at each end. So I will replace one cap
with a new one that easily allows the turning of the valve.

Is it advisable to put the new cap on either the water incoming end or the
water outgoing end of the radiator?

Why not go for TRV?

I would put the adjusting valve at the most convenient end for its
intended use.

Graham.[_2_] February 16th 13 02:18 PM

which end of radiator ?

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:34:38 -0000, "Dave West"
wrote:

We have a bedroom radiator that we occasionally want to turn right down. It
has 'tamper-proof' caps on the valves at each end. So I will replace one cap
with a new one that easily allows the turning of the valve.

Is it advisable to put the new cap on either the water incoming end or the
water outgoing end of the radiator?

It makes little difference so put it on the side where it is more
convenient.

Have you soured a suitable wheel-head cap yet, they are not as easy as
you might think to find, and the spindle size varies.
This site might be useful

http://www.radcaps.co.uk/

harry February 17th 13 08:20 AM

which end of radiator ?

On Feb 16, 1:34*pm, "Dave West" wrote:
We have a bedroom radiator that we occasionally want to turn right down. It
has 'tamper-proof' caps on the valves at each end. So I will replace one cap
with a new one that easily allows the turning of the valve.

Is it advisable to put the new cap on either the water incoming end or the
water outgoing end of the radiator?

It is probably a heat sink and has these valves fitted so it can't be
turned off.
Really you shouldn't mess with it.