Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pope pops off

How can this be of any interest? A bloke who is 86 announces he is too
tired, nae wunder, to carry on work. He was too old when he started the
job. Shock? Very old bloke retires? Not much shock to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/c...-2013021159277

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2013 17:25, Geoff Pearson wrote:
How can this be of any interest? A bloke who is 86 announces he is too
tired, nae wunder, to carry on work. He was too old when he started the
job. Shock? Very old bloke retires? Not much shock to me.

Wonder if HM will take the hint?

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 19:07:39 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, Lobster disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

Wonder if HM will take the hint?

Doubt it, she runs a family business. The Pope was a sole trader.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

and wrote:

Wonder if HM will take the hint?

Doubt it, she runs a family business. The Pope was a sole trader.

Soul trader, surely?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 17:25:08 -0000, "Geoff Pearson"
wrote:

How can this be of any interest? A bloke who is 86 announces he is too
tired, nae wunder, to carry on work. He was too old when he started the
job. Shock? Very old bloke retires? Not much shock to me.

The goverment won't like it, they were hoping to use him as an example
that they want all of us to follow.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote
Geoff Pearson wrote

How can this be of any interest? A bloke who is 86 announces he
is too tired, nae wunder, to carry on work. He was too old when he
started the job. Shock? Very old bloke retires? Not much shock to me.

Wonder if HM will take the hint?

I doubt it with that fool Big Ears the certain replacement.

Even Phil thinks he's a fool.

Ratzinger apparently had to have his arm twisted to take
the job in the first place, he would have preferred to retire.

So its hardly surprising that he chose to retire now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message
How can this be of any interest? A bloke who is 86 announces he is too
tired, nae wunder, to carry on work. He was too old when he started the
job. Shock? Very old bloke retires? Not much shock to me.

I'm extremely saddened by this bombshell event. However, I look forward to
the white smoke, signifying that some other stupid ******* is prepared to
"stand-in" for Jesus. What complete and utter ********. I had a bible
puncher hit the front door this week, just a kid. WTF gets into these
people? Anyway, I told him where to get.

Me - what are you selling?
Him - nothing, just trying to provide some information regarding our lord
Me - No thanks, pal
Him - You're not interested?
Me - Not in the slightest.

******.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote in message
eb.com...

"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message
How can this be of any interest? A bloke who is 86 announces he is too
tired, nae wunder, to carry on work. He was too old when he started the
job. Shock? Very old bloke retires? Not much shock to me.

I'm extremely saddened by this bombshell event. However, I look forward to
the white smoke, signifying that some other stupid ******* is prepared to
"stand-in" for Jesus. What complete and utter ********. I had a bible
puncher hit the front door this week, just a kid. WTF gets into these
people? Anyway, I told him where to get.

Me - what are you selling?
Him - nothing, just trying to provide some information regarding our lord
Me - No thanks, pal
Him - You're not interested?
Me - Not in the slightest.

******.

We have a bunch of lunatic Jehovas Witnesses (SP, anyone give a ****?)
living opposite. Our pooch went and piddled on their front garden (good
boy), out she came spouting verbal garbage, I said sorry, what did you say?
I got - YOU HEARD WHAT I SAID. She can now go **** herself, permanently.
Stupid bint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yeah but most have either died in the job or been too ill to carry on when
they went. I sometimes wonder what the point of the Pope is in fact. This
has to be one of the last things still existing from a bygone age. maybe
they should hold elections of all Catholics to find the next one. Tony Blair
maybe?

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message
How can this be of any interest? A bloke who is 86 announces he is too
tired, nae wunder, to carry on work. He was too old when he started the
job. Shock? Very old bloke retires? Not much shock to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
No I don't think so.
Why are there no female Popes?

probably becasue the (Roman) Catholic Church has no female priests.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Yeah but most have either died in the job or been too ill to carry on when
they went.

I sometimes wonder what the point of the Pope is in fact.

Some do change some things before they end up as bad as the top.

This has to be one of the last things still existing from a bygone age.

You can say the same thing about Liz and Phil.

maybe they should hold elections of all Catholics to find the next one.

Didn’t notice you lot getting that with Liz and Phil's replacement.

Tony Blair maybe?

Most roman catholics have likely never even heard of him.

"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message
How can this be of any interest? A bloke who is 86 announces he is too
tired, nae wunder, to carry on work. He was too old when he started the
job. Shock? Very old bloke retires? Not much shock to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

No I don't think so.

Yeah, even Liz realises what a complete dud Big Ears has always been.

Why are there no female Popes?

There has been at least one.

The reason there haven't been more is the same
reason there are no female roman catholic priests.

"Lobster" wrote in message
On 11/02/2013 17:25, Geoff Pearson wrote:
How can this be of any interest? A bloke who is 86 announces he is too
tired, nae wunder, to carry on work. He was too old when he started the
job. Shock? Very old bloke retires? Not much shock to me.

Wonder if HM will take the hint?

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

How can this be of any interest? A bloke who is 86 announces he is too
tired, nae wunder, to carry on work. He was too old when he started the
job. Shock? Very old bloke retires? Not much shock to me.

Now he can give evidence in all those Catholic priest child abuse
cases.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 12 February 2013 01:50 brass monkey wrote in uk.d-i-y:

We have a bunch of lunatic Jehovas Witnesses (SP, anyone give a ****?)
living opposite. Our pooch went and piddled on their front garden (good
boy), out she came spouting verbal garbage, I said sorry, what did you
say? I got - YOU HEARD WHAT I SAID. She can now go **** herself,
permanently. Stupid bint.

My ex landlord was a JW - lovely bloke. Hardly every mentioned anything
about it either.

Like most other random groups, there are a mixture of ******* and nice
people.

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2013 08:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yeah but most have either died in the job or been too ill to carry on when
they went. I sometimes wonder what the point of the Pope is in fact. This
has to be one of the last things still existing from a bygone age. maybe
they should hold elections of all Catholics to find the next one.

In theory, any baptised male Catholic can be elected, although, in
practice, it is very unlikely to be anybody who is not a Cardinal.

Tony Blair
maybe?

He already thinks he is God, so it would be a demotion.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2013 09:06, Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote

No I don't think so.

Yeah, even Liz realises what a complete dud Big Ears has always been.

Why are there no female Popes?

There has been at least one.

The legend of Pope Joan was quite effectively disproved by a 17th
century Protestant historian David Blondel.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote

No I don't think so.

Yeah, even Liz realises what a complete dud Big Ears has always been.

You never know.

He might surprise you (has happened before)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2013 17:25, Geoff Pearson wrote:
How can this be of any interest? A bloke who is 86 announces he is too
tired, nae wunder, to carry on work. He was too old when he started the
job. Shock? Very old bloke retires? Not much shock to me.

I did some digging on this last night, because I wasn't even aware it
was possible. As far as I can tell the last time a pope resigned was in
1415, and that was to deal with a problem where they had three at once.

Andy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...
On 11/02/2013 17:25, Geoff Pearson wrote:
How can this be of any interest? A bloke who is 86 announces he is too
tired, nae wunder, to carry on work. He was too old when he started the
job. Shock? Very old bloke retires? Not much shock to me.

I did some digging on this last night, because I wasn't even aware it was
possible. As far as I can tell the last time a pope resigned was in 1415,
and that was to deal with a problem where they had three at once.

Andy.

It is always possible. How would they stop him if he said (as he did) " I
can't be arsed anymore, I'm off"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 12 February 2013 13:51 Geoff Pearson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...
On 11/02/2013 17:25, Geoff Pearson wrote:
How can this be of any interest? A bloke who is 86 announces he is too
tired, nae wunder, to carry on work. He was too old when he started the
job. Shock? Very old bloke retires? Not much shock to me.

I did some digging on this last night, because I wasn't even aware it was
possible. As far as I can tell the last time a pope resigned was in 1415,
and that was to deal with a problem where they had three at once.

Andy.

It is always possible. How would they stop him if he said (as he did) "
I can't be arsed anymore, I'm off"?

Technically an MP cannot resign. He has to apply to the Chancellor for
appointment to one of two Crown salaried positions (one being the Chilten
Hundreds) which is incompatible with remaining an MP (so he sort of gets
"fired").

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, February 11, 2013 5:25:08 PM UTC, Geoff Pearson wrote:
How can this be of any interest? A bloke who is 86 announces he is too

tired, nae wunder, to carry on work. He was too old when he started the

job. Shock? Very old bloke retires? Not much shock to me.

it's a shock because he's one of the first to admit he can't do the job, rather than carry on to the grave. At least I can admire him for that, there maybe other reasons to admire him but I don;t know them

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2013 11:04, Andy Champ wrote:
On 11/02/2013 17:25, Geoff Pearson wrote:
How can this be of any interest? A bloke who is 86 announces he is too
tired, nae wunder, to carry on work. He was too old when he started the
job. Shock? Very old bloke retires? Not much shock to me.

I did some digging on this last night, because I wasn't even aware it was possible. As far as I can tell the last time a pope resigned was in
1415, and that was to deal with a problem where they had three at once.

Nothing in Canon Law to stop him.

However, I think his boss had something to say about it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph...e-resigns.html

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Monday, February 11, 2013 5:25:08 PM UTC, Geoff Pearson wrote:
How can this be of any interest? A bloke who is 86 announces he is too

tired, nae wunder, to carry on work. He was too old when he started the

job. Shock? Very old bloke retires? Not much shock to me.

it's a shock because he's one of the first to admit he
can't do the job, rather than carry on to the grave.

At least I can admire him for that,

I can't. Apparently he had to have his arm twisted to take
the job in the first place and should have just told them then
that he wasn't up to the job and would rather just retire.

there maybe other reasons to admire him but I don;t know them

I don't believe that there are any.

They don't call him God's Rottweiler for nothing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Tuesday 12 February 2013 13:51 Geoff Pearson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

. uk...

Bull****.

He has to apply to the Chancellor for appointment to one of two
Crown salaried positions (one being the Chilten Hundreds) which
is incompatible with remaining an MP (so he sort of gets "fired").

That aint the only way to resign legally.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 09:37:48 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, Tim Watts disturbed my reverie and wrote:

My ex landlord was a JW - lovely bloke. Hardly every mentioned anything
about it either.

The nicest people I have ever met have all been JWs.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 08:47:17 -0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, "Brian Gaff" disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

Yeah but most have either died in the job or been too ill to carry on when
they went. I sometimes wonder what the point of the Pope is in fact. This
has to be one of the last things still existing from a bygone age. maybe
they should hold elections of all Catholics to find the next one.

For 'pope' substitute 'queen'.
For 'catholics' substitute 'citizens'.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 06:14:43 -0800 (PST), just as I was about to take
a herb, whisky-dave disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

it's a shock because he's one of the first to admit he can't do the job, rather than carry on to the grave.

Not being a Christian/catholic, I had always (obviously mis-)
understood that the Pope could not resign, that it was a job for life,
literally.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DrTeeth wrote
Tim Watts wrote

My ex landlord was a JW - lovely bloke.
Hardly every mentioned anything about it either.

The nicest people I have ever met have all been JWs.

I do know one of their priests or whatever they call them
very well indeed, and he is a very decent fella, but those
who have been kicked out of that church feel otherwise
about the worst of them. They treat people that very
badly indeed, not even letting them have anything to
do with other family members still in the church etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DrTeeth wrote
whisky-dave wrote

it's a shock because he's one of the first to admit
he can't do the job, rather than carry on to the grave.

Not being a Christian/catholic, I had always (obviously mis-)
understood that the Pope could not resign, that it was a job for life,
literally.

Its just the tradition. Same with royalty.

Not all observe the tradition tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 12 February 2013 19:45 Rod Speed wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

Technically an MP cannot resign.

Bull****

******** it is:

"On 2 March 1624, a resolution was passed by the House of Commons making it
illegal for an MP to quit or wilfully give up the seat".

If you know better, you might like to update the wiki then:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiltern_Hundreds

.

He has to apply to the Chancellor for appointment to one of two
Crown salaried positions (one being the Chilten Hundreds) which
is incompatible with remaining an MP (so he sort of gets "fired").

That aint the only way to resign legally.

Other than accepting an office of profit, what would they be?

(Topping yourself isn't really "resigning").

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

Technically an MP cannot resign.

Bull****

******** it is:

"On 2 March 1624, a resolution was passed by the House of Commons
making it illegal for an MP to quit or wilfully give up the seat".

Been superseded by other more recent law on
getting elected which does allow for MPs to resign.

If you know better, you might like to update the wiki then:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiltern_Hundreds

I don't bother, there are too many who camp out on ****
like that and just delete any changes they don't agree with.

He has to apply to the Chancellor for appointment to one of two
Crown salaried positions (one being the Chilten Hundreds) which
is incompatible with remaining an MP (so he sort of gets "fired").

That aint the only way to resign legally.

Other than accepting an office of profit, what would they be?

Just resign in the usual way, just like anyone else does.

(Topping yourself isn't really "resigning").

Corse it is.

And you can do a crime that has a sufficiently serious penalty too.

That fool who just resigned when he admitted to lying
about his wife driving the car at the time of the offence
didn't get told that it wasn't illegal to resign, for a reason.

And he didn't apply for the sort of job that wiki claims
is the only way to resign either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 09:46:09 +0000, Nightjar
wrote:

The legend of Pope Joan was quite effectively disproved by a 17th
century Protestant historian David Blondel.

So, the reason a new Pope is sat on a bottomless chair and his
testicles inspected, is for no other reason than sheer curiosity?
Nothing to do with the RC church being hoodwinked, at all?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The legend of Pope Joan was quite effectively disproved by a 17th
century Protestant historian David Blondel.

So, the reason a new Pope is sat on a bottomless chair and his
testicles inspected, is for no other reason than sheer curiosity?
Nothing to do with the RC church being hoodwinked, at all?

And I thought that was invented by Ian Fleming for James Bond. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 11, 5:25*pm, "Geoff Pearson" wrote:
How can this be of any interest? *A bloke who is 86 announces he is too
tired, nae wunder, to carry on work. *He was too old when he started the
job. *Shock? *Very old bloke retires? *Not much shock to me.

I'm currently assuming that he knows that a(nother) crisis is about to
break and he wants some other lucky person to have to deal with it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:43:10 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message

On Monday, February 11, 2013 5:25:08 PM UTC, Geoff Pearson wrote:

How can this be of any interest? A bloke who is 86 announces he is too

tired, nae wunder, to carry on work. He was too old when he started the

job. Shock? Very old bloke retires? Not much shock to me.

it's a shock because he's one of the first to admit he

can't do the job, rather than carry on to the grave.

At least I can admire him for that,

I can't. Apparently he had to have his arm twisted to take

the job in the first place and should have just told them then

that he wasn't up to the job and would rather just retire.

That's religion for you.

there maybe other reasons to admire him but I don;t know them

I don't believe that there are any.

Like any good catholic he withdrew at the last moment ;-)

They don't call him God's Rottweiler for nothing.

Didn't think Rottweilers released their grip once they get their teech into something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 09:57:18 on
Wed, 13 Feb 2013, charles remarked:

He had to have his arm twisted to accept the job in the
first place and has recently had a heart pacemaker fitted.

and he's been forbidden to fly by his doctors

I thought that was more to do with the laws of physics. Either that or
Screwfix doesn't have a strong enough glue for the feathers.
--
Roland Perry