DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to get rid of ciggy/nicotine smell on PC compnent? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/352527-how-get-rid-ciggy-nicotine-smell-pc-compnent.html)

Mike Tomlinson February 2nd 13 03:34 PM

How to get rid of ciggy/nicotine smell on PC compnent?

En el artículo
roups.com, Owain escribió:

Is it possible to use too much?

Yes!

I changed a CPU fan and used the whole tube.

!!!

That's *far* too much.

You only need a tiny blob about half the size of a grain of rice in the
middle of the cpu, no more. It'll spread out by itself under the
pressure of the heatsink retaining clip as the cpu warms and cools with
successive power on/off cycles.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/PDF/appm...hod_middle_dot
_v1.3.pdf

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Dave Plowman (News) February 2nd 13 03:58 PM

How to get rid of ciggy/nicotine smell on PC compnent?

In article
,
Owain wrote:
On Feb 2, 3:34 pm, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
I changed a CPU fan and used the whole tube.

!!!

That's *far* too much.

I'll start a new thread asking for advice on how to get the excess
back into the tube ;-)

Read the instructions in reverse?

--
*Just give me chocolate and nobody gets hurt

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

polygonum February 2nd 13 04:23 PM

Owain wrote:
On Feb 2, 3:34 pm, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
I changed a CPU fan and used the whole tube.
!!!

That's *far* too much.

I'll start a new thread asking for advice on how to get the excess
back into the tube ;-)

Read the instructions in reverse?

Too much Haynes?

--
Rod

Rod Speed February 2nd 13 07:08 PM

How to get rid of ciggy/nicotine smell on PC compnent?

"Owain" wrote in message
On Feb 2, 9:09 am, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
This stuff is good. You only need a drop.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Silver-3-5g-Thermal-Paste/dp/B0002VFXFE

Yes, I had some in. A small tube goes a very long way.

Is it possible to use too much?

Yes.

I changed a CPU fan and used the whole tube.

Not a good idea. You need just the minimum that sees
no air pockets in the finished result, thin as possible.

Andy Champ[_2_] February 3rd 13 04:33 PM

Owain wrote:
On Feb 2, 9:09 am, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
This stuff is good. You only need a drop.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Silver-3-5g-Thermal-Paste/dp/B0002VFXFE
Yes, I had some in. A small tube goes a very long way.

Is it possible to use too much?

I changed a CPU fan and used the whole tube.

If it's properly clamped, any excess should just squirt out the sides.

.... and if it really is silver (it certainly looks metallic) you then
risk short circuits.

Andy

MarkG1234 February 4th 13 12:00 AM

How to get rid of ciggy/nicotine smell on PC compnent?

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 19:08:06 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message
On Feb 2, 9:09 am, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
This stuff is good. You only need a drop.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Silver-3-5g-Thermal-Paste/dp/B0002VFXFE
Yes, I had some in. A small tube goes a very long way.

Is it possible to use too much?

Yes.

I changed a CPU fan and used the whole tube.

Not a good idea. You need just the minimum that sees
no air pockets in the finished result, thin as possible.

I also wouldn't bother with the ArticSilver next time, it's no better than
bog standard silicon based heatsink compound, except it has the additional
risk of shorting out components and costs 10x the price...