Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Christmas tree unlighting

A quick holiday snap before placing these lights in hibernation for
another year.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac327/turnstyler/DSC_02771_zps2f8ce90c.jpg

Purchased in 1980 for £2.99, made in taiwan, used yearly, rare
failures, push fit bulbs, carefullly packed away.

Sleep tight little ones ... ;-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
A quick holiday snap before placing these lights in hibernation for
another year.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac327/turnstyler/DSC_02771_zps2f8ce90c.jpg

Purchased in 1980 for £2.99, made in taiwan, used yearly, rare
failures, push fit bulbs, carefullly packed away.

Sleep tight little ones ... ;-)

Winfield, eh?

Wasn't that Woolworth's

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2013 13:58, geoff wrote:
In message , Adrian C

Purchased in 1980 for £2.99, made in taiwan, used yearly, rare
failures, push fit bulbs, carefullly packed away.

Winfield, eh?

Wasn't that Woolworth's

Yup. Back in the days that branding mean't longevity :-)

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 12:48:17 +0000, Adrian C
wrote:

A quick holiday snap before placing these lights in hibernation for
another year.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac327/turnstyler/DSC_02771_zps2f8ce90c.jpg

Purchased in 1980 for £2.99, made in taiwan, used yearly, rare
failures, push fit bulbs, carefullly packed away.

Sleep tight little ones ... ;-)

Do as I do and put a series diode in the plug. Failures will be even
rarer as the bulbs will be underrun and look less bright (an advantage
IMO). Also, my cortex can just about detect the 50hz flicker which
gives them an added ethereal quality.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2013 12:48, Adrian C wrote:
A quick holiday snap before placing these lights in hibernation for
another year.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac327/turnstyler/DSC_02771_zps2f8ce90c.jpg

Purchased in 1980 for £2.99, made in taiwan, used yearly, rare failures,
push fit bulbs, carefullly packed away.

Sleep tight little ones ... ;-)

As Twelfth Night is the end of Christmas, we were discussing the
Decoration Police knocking on the door: "Evening all. I have reason to
believe you might still have a Christmas card upon your mantel."

Operating, of course, under the control of Stephen Fry in his Malvolio
character.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 05 January 2013 13:58 geoff wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In message , Adrian C
writes
A quick holiday snap before placing these lights in hibernation for
another year.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac327/turnstyler/DSC_02771_zps2f8ce90c.jpg

Purchased in 1980 for £2.99, made in taiwan, used yearly, rare
failures, push fit bulbs, carefullly packed away.

Sleep tight little ones ... ;-)

Winfield, eh?

Wasn't that Woolworth's

Yes - ah brings back memories...

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2013 14:32, polygonum wrote:
On 05/01/2013 12:48, Adrian C wrote:
A quick holiday snap before placing these lights in hibernation for
another year.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac327/turnstyler/DSC_02771_zps2f8ce90c.jpg

Purchased in 1980 for £2.99, made in taiwan, used yearly, rare failures,
push fit bulbs, carefullly packed away.

Sleep tight little ones ... ;-)

As Twelfth Night is the end of Christmas, we were discussing the
Decoration Police knocking on the door: "Evening all. I have reason to
believe you might still have a Christmas card upon your mantel."

Operating, of course, under the control of Stephen Fry in his Malvolio
character.

Also next year blue Christmas lights will be forbidden. Why are cars and
lorries allowed to display blue lights? Has the world gone mad? Don't
answer that!

--
Remember the early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the
cheese.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2013 17:55, Broadback wrote:

Also next year blue Christmas lights will be forbidden. Why are cars and
lorries allowed to display blue lights? Has the world gone mad? Don't
answer that!

What?
What is the source of your information?

--
Blow my nose to email me
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Ah! They'll all have to be yellow. And cross-gartered.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , polygonum
wrote:
[...]

you aren't Maria

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , polygonum
writes

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...C_02771_zps2f8
ce90c.jpg

Purchased in 1980 for £2.99, made in taiwan, used yearly, rare failures,
push fit bulbs, carefullly packed away.

Sleep tight little ones ... ;-)

As Twelfth Night is the end of Christmas, we were discussing the
Decoration Police knocking on the door: "Evening all. I have reason to
believe you might still have a Christmas card upon your mantel."

Operating, of course, under the control of Stephen Fry in his Malvolio
character.

Also next year blue Christmas lights will be forbidden. Why are cars and
lorries allowed to display blue lights? Has the world gone mad? Don't
answer that!

Ah! They'll all have to be yellow. And cross-gartered.

Stop that now

twelfth night's not until tomorrow

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...02771_zps2f8ce
90c.jpg

Purchased in 1980 for £2.99, made in taiwan, used yearly, rare
failures, push fit bulbs, carefullly packed away.

Sleep tight little ones ... ;-)

Do as I do and put a series diode in the plug. Failures will be even
rarer as the bulbs will be underrun and look less bright (an advantage
IMO). Also, my cortex can just about detect the 50hz flicker which
gives them an added ethereal quality.

I still have a set of lights (12 x 20V, I believe) from around 1949.
Quite a few have failed, and I've run out of spares (although you can
still probably get them). It's been many years since they provided any
Christmas lighting, and I recall that I had to short out some of the
dead ones (silver paper in the sockets, and the dead bulb screwed in). I
did try a series diode, but as I could notice the flicker, I resorted to
running them off a variac transformer.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
A quick holiday snap before placing these lights in hibernation for
another year.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac327/turnstyler/DSC_02771_zps2f8ce90c.jpg

Purchased in 1980 for £2.99, made in taiwan, used yearly, rare
failures, push fit bulbs, carefullly packed away.

Sleep tight little ones ... ;-)

It really is sad to see them disappear for another 49 weeks. Then the
trouble is finding them.

With one of my older set of lights, I used to wind them up on the
expired Radio Times (a special once-a-year purchase for the Christmas /
New Year fortnight). Plus a final switch on before putting them to bed.
When the time came to unwind them again, it's surprising how many times
they failed to work (usually a loose bulb). [Who knows what they get up
to when they're all packed away, and no one's looking!] When next
Christmas came around, it was interesting to have a quick comparison of
this year's and last year's Radio Times, and see how many of the TV
programmes were exactly the same as the previous Christmas.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Broadback
writes
[...]

I believe it's only flashing blue lights that are forbidden.

Can I add that those 'modern' strings of all-white fairy lights - and
even more so, the deep blue - look absolutely awful.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 20:38:34 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

Purchased in 1980 for £2.99,

From Woolworths as well.

Can I add that those 'modern' strings of all-white fairy lights - and
even more so, the deep blue - look absolutely awful.

White is OK. Blue I don't like as my eyes just can't focus them. At least
white is a "christmas colour", blue isn't.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes it was. I gather that the single twisted wires on most of these is now
no longer allowed. What I found at the time was that if you asdded two extra
bulbs of the same type from an old set into the loop, you never ever had one
blow..
Brian

Email:

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Adrian C
writes
A quick holiday snap before placing these lights in hibernation for
another year.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac327/turnstyler/DSC_02771_zps2f8ce90c.jpg

Purchased in 1980 for £2.99, made in taiwan, used yearly, rare failures,
push fit bulbs, carefullly packed away.

Sleep tight little ones ... ;-)

Winfield, eh?

Wasn't that Woolworth's

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2013 20:38, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Adrian C
writes
[...]

Have you noticed how wires and cables left alone can tangle themselves?
I used to install and remove computers(the very old big ones)the cables
were laid under false flooring, when laying them I took great efforts to
do it neatly and tidy. Some years later when I came to remove them they
were a tangled mess, unexplainable!

--
Remember the early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the
cheese.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Broadback
writes
Have you noticed how wires and cables left alone can tangle themselves?
I used to install and remove computers(the very old big ones)the cables
were laid under false flooring, when laying them I took great efforts
to do it neatly and tidy. Some years later when I came to remove them
they were a tangled mess, unexplainable!

Not at all. That would be the electricians who had to squeeze one more
supply out of the over full dis-board to power up one more *must have*
set of drives during the summer shut down.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/13 20:38, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Adrian C
writes
[...]

THis year I removed all the bulbs, tested each one with a meter, threw
away the two duds and put them all back plus tow spates also tested.

All still working.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 7:09*pm, geoff wrote:
twelfth night's not until tomorrow

Twelfth Night: 5th January
Twelfth Day (Epiphany): 6th January

The decorations should all be down by sunrise on the 6th Jan.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 18:01:42 +0000, snot
wrote:

On 05/01/2013 17:55, Broadback wrote:

Also next year blue Christmas lights will be forbidden. Why are cars and
lorries allowed to display blue lights? Has the world gone mad? Don't
answer that!

What?
What is the source of your information?

Apparently police helicopter pilots can't tell the difference between
flashing blue lights on vehicles in the road and strings of flashing
blue lights fixed to houses. There was a news item about it the other
day. I 'thought' they were 'calling' for domestic ones to be banned,
don't remember that it said they had been banned.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/01/2013 17:55, Broadback wrote:

Also next year blue Christmas lights will be forbidden. Why are cars and
lorries allowed to display blue lights? Has the world gone mad? Don't
answer that!

What?
What is the source of your information?

Apparently police helicopter pilots can't tell the difference between
flashing blue lights on vehicles in the road and strings of flashing
blue lights fixed to houses. There was a news item about it the other
day. I 'thought' they were 'calling' for domestic ones to be banned,
don't remember that it said they had been banned.

I'd be quite happy for all flashing lights to be banned. Slower, more
gentle changes are fine - but I detest the ON/OFF flashing lights.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

IIRC there has never been any restriction on vehicles showing blue
lights, only flashing ones. The police used to pull people for this, but
found that they had no grounds to, so stopped. However, I have noticed
quite a few trucks with red Christmas lights in the cab and there is a
specific prohibition against showing a red light to the front (or a
white to the rear).

SteveW

bad Christmas tree lights William Sommerwerck Electronics Repair 1 November 22nd 07 03:06 AM
Christmas Tree Ornaments WConner Woodworking 5 October 30th 06 06:22 PM
Christmas tree bulbs Roly UK diy 34 December 25th 05 03:17 PM
Christmas Tree Flu [email protected] Home Repair 0 December 23rd 05 04:37 AM
three legged Christmas tree [email protected] Woodworking 2 December 6th 05 09:39 PM