DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/351033-what-cheapest-wifi-enabled-device-i-can-buy-test-wifi-access.html)

Dave Liquorice[_2_] December 30th 12 02:39 PM

What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access?

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:18:45 +0000, MM wrote:

Almost anything would be better than using a powerline device. B-)

I disagree. I cannot speak highly enough of the TP-Link products, and
my brother says the same, and his house isn't merely 9 years old, it's
350 years old!

Bet the wiring isn't. I object to the powerline devices on the basis of
the broadband RF **** they spray all over the shortwave radio bands.

--
Cheers
Dave.

MM December 30th 12 04:54 PM

What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access?

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:39:57 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:18:45 +0000, MM wrote:

Almost anything would be better than using a powerline device. B-)

I disagree. I cannot speak highly enough of the TP-Link products, and
my brother says the same, and his house isn't merely 9 years old, it's
350 years old!

Bet the wiring isn't. I object to the powerline devices on the basis of
the broadband RF **** they spray all over the shortwave radio bands.

Ah, well, that might be a problem, but I'm not into shortwave radio!
Only FM.

MM

MM December 30th 12 04:59 PM

What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access?

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:29:08 +0000, Nick Odell
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:12:10 +0000, MM wrote:

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 11:02:23 +0000, Lobster
wrote:

On 30/12/2012 08:05, MM wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 00:22:34 +0000, Lobster
wrote:

On 29/12/2012 14:58, MM wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 14:47:12 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

MM wrote:

My Cat5 network at home works fine, but soon I shall be entertaining a
relative for several weeks, the relative has a laptop and wishes to
connect to my network.

I already have two TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet
Adapters to run a PC downstairs via the mains, (Router and ADSL modem
are upstairs.)

I'm thinking of buying this:
TP Link TL-WPA281 AV200 Powerline Extender with Wireless N Access
Point

Have you considered just replacing the exisiting router with one which
includes wireless functionality? The only issue with that is whether
you'd have adequate wifi coverage where you need it in the house
(depends on distance, wall thickness etc) but otherwise all things being
equal it would be a much better solution than buying a mains-borne
device. And cheaper

I don't myself like wifi. Never have. Cat5 provides me with total
reliability and efficient downloading. It's all I need.

I get better downloads from my netbook on wi-fi than I do from my
wired-up desktop. That probably tells you all you need to know about
my desktop, doesn't it?

Dunno why you get better throughput with wifi, but it's all a bit of a
mystery anyway! When I moved here in 2004 there was no broadband and
NO prospect of getting it, and then suddenly* there were three or four
OpenReach vans all the way up our lane, laying cables. Then we got one
of the best BB provisions around. It's still more than enough for my
purposes, though perhaps not fast enough to support, say, Netflix or
Love Film. It takes about 25 minutes to download an 800MB movie, I
reckon, though it depends on the time of day. I can recall once
spending the *whole weekend* doing a continuous download of a Linux
..iso image over dial-up!

* The neighbours and I reckon some influential bigwig moved into the
area and demanded BB straightaway.

MM

bert[_3_] December 30th 12 08:11 PM

What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access?

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
MM wrote:
My Cat5 network at home works fine, but soon I shall be entertaining a
relative for several weeks, the relative has a laptop and wishes to
connect to my network.

I already have two TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet
Adapters to run a PC downstairs via the mains, (Router and ADSL modem
are upstairs.)

I'm thinking of buying this:
TP Link TL-WPA281 AV200 Powerline Extender with Wireless N Access
Point

But as none of my three PCs is wifi-enabled, I've got no way of
testing whether the wireless part will work to my relative's laptop
(until said relative arrives, which is too late; I want to be able to
get it all up and running before then so that all relative has to do
is switch laptop on and it connects).

So what would I need to spend to buy something that would test the
wifi-connection to the "TP Link TL-WPA281 AV200 Powerline Extender
with Wireless N Access Point"? I suppose a cheapo Notebook thingy,
e.g. Acer, is about as low as it goes. I believe these all come with
wifi inbuilt as standard.

have you got a nearby friend with a laptop? Failing that, a Tablet would
be able to test the wireless bit. you can probably get one for about £50.

You can get a USB wifi link for a lot less than that. Just plug it in to
one of the PCs and disconnect the cable.
--
bert

tony sayer December 30th 12 08:14 PM

What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access?

In article , MM
scribeth thus
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:18:45 +0000, MM wrote:

Almost anything would be better than using a powerline device. B-)

I disagree. I cannot speak highly enough of the TP-Link products, and
my brother says the same, and his house isn't merely 9 years old, it's
350 years old!

Bet the wiring isn't. I object to the powerline devices on the basis of
the broadband RF **** they spray all over the shortwave radio bands.

Ah, well, that might be a problem, but I'm not into shortwave radio!
Only FM.

Those things can affect that too;!....

and DAB....

MM

--
Tony Sayer

bert[_3_] December 30th 12 08:17 PM

What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access?

In message , Mentalguy2k8
writes

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 14:53:33 -0000, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
[...]

Kindle?

You could activate the wifi and ask a neighbour to connect to it and test.
But put a password on it once you've made sure it's working and for when
you've got it on for any length of time.

Or.... if you don't want to spend much, just buy a crappy Wifi card or USB
Wifi stick for a few quid, fit to your PC and test. Doesn't have to be
"Wireless N" as long as your router supports slower devices.

Ah! You mean, convert one of my PCs to wifi. Didn't think of that,
thanks. So if I bunged in a cheapo WiFi card into one of my spare PCI
slots, it would just work, yes? I could disconnect the Cat5 cable from
that PC and it would work via WiFi to the "TP Link TL-WPA281 AV200
Powerline Extender with Wireless N Access Point"? Is that what you
mean?

Yep! Or even easier, buy a USB wifi adapter and then you don't even
need to dismantle the PC.

Keep the packaging and then flog it on e-bay and recoup most of your
money.
Now it just so happens I have Netgear one going spare right here.
--
bert

Dave Liquorice[_2_] January 1st 13 11:49 PM

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:54:12 +0000, MM wrote:

Bet the wiring isn't. I object to the powerline devices on the basis
of the broadband RF **** they spray all over the shortwave radio
bands.

Ah, well, that might be a problem, but I'm not into shortwave radio!
Only FM.

No neigbours within 1/2 a mile or so?

--
Cheers
Dave.

MM January 6th 13 11:22 AM

What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access?

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 20:11:56 +0000, bert ] wrote:

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
MM wrote:
[...]

Which is exactly what I've now done! And it works! I bought the WiFi
WIRELESS 11 N USB ADAPTER LAN INTERNET NETWORK DONGLE FOR PC LAPTOP
150Mbps from Amazon for £4.20 (now it's £4.22) and that coupled with
the TP-Link TL-WPA281 AV200 Powerline Extender with Wireless N Access
Point, it works a treat!

Mind you, configuring the TP-Link wireless settings and security
wasn't as simple as the manual makes out. The supplied software
utility is supposed to connect to a web page for configuring, but in
my case clicking Connect went nowhere. I disabled AVG and then Windows
Firewall, still no go. Then I just typed the gizmo's IP address
straight into Firefox and it connected!

Then the USB adapter, too, presented problems. I Installed the
software, plugged in the USB adapter, but no wireless connection. So
then I thought, ah, maybe XP is expecting a reboot by now, and indeed
a reboot got it all working! I disconnected the short Cat5 cable that
came with the new TP-Link plug and thereafter have been connecting to
the web and my other PCs from that particular PC via wireless. The
speed doesn't seem any different from what I get through Cat5. (The
USB adapter's systray gizmo says "Connection: Excellent", which I
suppose is to expected, given that the PC is quite close to the
TP-Link wireless access point.)

But I'm still going to return to Cat5 after the op and said relative
has gone back home. I can understand how wireless is useful for
students who are constantly roaming through different parts of Uni
etc, but for my purposes my desktops stay where they are all the year.
And I don't myself like using laptops. Hate the keyboard and the
mousepad!

Anyway, thanks for the tip! It's a mighty cheap testing method for a
little over four quid. Maybe I can get a couple of quid for it on eBay
or Gumtree. Otherwise it'll just go in my rummage drawer in case
needed for something else.

MM

Bob Eager[_2_] January 6th 13 11:46 AM

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 11:22:00 +0000, MM wrote:

But I'm still going to return to Cat5 after the op and said relative has
gone back home. I can understand how wireless is useful for students who
are constantly roaming through different parts of Uni etc, but for my
purposes my desktops stay where they are all the year.
And I don't myself like using laptops. Hate the keyboard and the
mousepad!

Me too, to both of those. But both sons are wedded to their laptops, and
one even asked me to take his desktop away.

The wifi is useful for all the other things, though. In our case: four
smartphones, three Kindles, a Zipit and probably other things (SWMBO's
camera, perhaps).

MM January 6th 13 06:08 PM

On 6 Jan 2013 11:46:36 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 11:22:00 +0000, MM wrote:

But I'm still going to return to Cat5 after the op and said relative has
gone back home. I can understand how wireless is useful for students who
are constantly roaming through different parts of Uni etc, but for my
purposes my desktops stay where they are all the year.
And I don't myself like using laptops. Hate the keyboard and the
mousepad!

Me too, to both of those. But both sons are wedded to their laptops, and
one even asked me to take his desktop away.

The way of the world! Younger people think horrid *wires* are as
ancient as the ark. My bro, ten years younger (although no spring
chicken at 56) is trying to convince me to upgrade to Windows 8! What
the heck for? XP works fine for me and the updates keep on coming.

The wifi is useful for all the other things, though. In our case: four
smartphones, three Kindles, a Zipit and probably other things (SWMBO's
camera, perhaps).

None of which I have or am likely to, ever. When my niece from France
or nephew from Germany pop over for a stay, I shall nonchalantly wave
the TP-Link WAP at them and say, "No worries! Connect away!"

MM

Stuart Noble January 6th 13 06:56 PM

MM wrote:
[...]

I installed a TPLink cable router yesterday. All told there were three
different sets of conflicting instructions so I followed what I assumed
was the newest. "Congratulations, installation complete, happy surfing."
All well and good, but no internet. Turned PC, modem, and router on and
off a few times in varying permutations, kicked a few things, and we got
there in the end. Performance is very varied so I'm sticking with wires
for now.

MM January 7th 13 07:59 AM

What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access?

MM wrote:
[...]

I've only got TP-Link "home plug" products for a powerline network. My
router/ADSL modem is all wired and normally I use Cat5 100%.

I never had a problem with the TP-Link Home Plugs, e.g. TP-Link
TL-PA211. I bought a couple to start with and just pressed the button
on each for the appropriate number of seconds to get them to sync with
each other.

My problem was with the wireless configuration of the newly purchased
TL-WPA281 variant. Even this plug was a doddle *provided* one was only
going to use the Cat5 connection. It was the additional wireless stuff
that presented problems. Anyway, like you, I eventually got it
working. However, as ever, I thought this is fine for me, I've been
working in IT for 20 years. But what about a home user with little
knowledge of computer stuff? Maybe manufacturers rely on the fact that
there'll be a younger person around who can sus out any problems for
mummy or granddad. Otherwise people would have to place an expensive
callout to an IT engineer.

MM

Lobster January 7th 13 08:17 AM

On 06/01/2013 18:56, stuart noble wrote:

I installed a TPLink cable router yesterday. All told there were three
different sets of conflicting instructions so I followed what I assumed
was the newest. "Congratulations, installation complete, happy surfing."
All well and good, but no internet. Turned PC, modem, and router on and
off a few times in varying permutations, kicked a few things, and we got
there in the end. Performance is very varied so I'm sticking with wires
for now.

Yesterday I upgraded the firmware on my Buffalo router to the open
source DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index). A little scary to do
in that it carries a risk of 'bricking' an otherwise functional router;
however it worked OK and the router is so, so much better as a result.
Loads more functionality [1], and so far, according to my whinging teen,
improved signal around the house - would thoroughly recommend it.

David

[1] Including the ability to block internet access to whinging teens,
either as a sanction, or when they are supposed to be asleep or doing
homework :;
--
David

Lobster January 7th 13 08:21 AM

On 06/01/2013 18:08, MM wrote:
On 6 Jan 2013 11:46:36 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 11:22:00 +0000, MM wrote:

But I'm still going to return to Cat5 after the op and said relative has
gone back home. I can understand how wireless is useful for students who
are constantly roaming through different parts of Uni etc, but for my
purposes my desktops stay where they are all the year.
And I don't myself like using laptops. Hate the keyboard and the
mousepad!

Me too, to both of those. But both sons are wedded to their laptops, and
one even asked me to take his desktop away.

The way of the world! Younger people think horrid *wires* are as
ancient as the ark. My bro, ten years younger (although no spring
chicken at 56) is trying to convince me to upgrade to Windows 8! What
the heck for? XP works fine for me and the updates keep on coming.

Only for another 15 months though, sadly:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...ofsupport.aspx

--
David

Rod Speed January 7th 13 09:09 AM

MM wrote:
[...]

Nope, there are plenty of people who will do it for a small fee.

MM January 7th 13 01:09 PM

What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access?

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 08:21:18 +0000, Lobster
wrote:

On 06/01/2013 18:08, MM wrote:
[...]

That's what they said about Visual Basic 6!

MM

MM January 7th 13 01:15 PM

What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access?

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 20:09:43 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

MM wrote:
[...]

And how small is small? And how does mummy or granddad locate such a
person? Bear in mind that the TL-WPA281 ain't cheap in the first
place. I originally purchased the TL-PA211 plugs in a "kit" of two,
which was quite cheap. I recall I paid around £32 for the pair. But
the TL-WPA281, bought about a week ago, was over £40. I can't see that
anyone is going to sort out the configuration (driving to one's home,
understanding the problem, sorting it out) for less than 20 quid.
Starts becoming quite an expensive solution.

MM

Rod Speed January 7th 13 08:59 PM

"MM" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 20:09:43 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..

MM wrote:
[...]

And how small is small?

The usual thing charged for doing basic non main
powered electrical stuff like TV antennas, doorbells etc.

And how does mummy or granddad locate such a person?

Ask around at the owner run places flogging that sort of thing.

Bear in mind that the TL-WPA281 ain't cheap in the first place.

Sure, but that's a different matter to getting some kid to implement it.

I originally purchased the TL-PA211 plugs in a "kit" of two,
which was quite cheap. I recall I paid around £32 for the pair. But
the TL-WPA281, bought about a week ago, was over £40. I can't see
that anyone is going to sort out the configuration (driving to one's
home, understanding the problem, sorting it out) for less than 20 quid.

Some kids will.

Starts becoming quite an expensive solution.

I was just commenting on your claim that only an expensive IT engineer
callout is feasible if you don't have any technically capable relos and cant
work out how to do it yourself using the net.