Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Warning: Corgi 2 port actuator

I need a replacement actuator head for a Honeywell 2 port zone valve so
was interested to find a pattern replacement at Toolstation:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p38858

The Corgi brand name did put me off but I thought I'd try it. On
inspection it is as rough as ********, sharp edges on all the metalwork,
including the manual actuator lever (nasty). The manual action is also
suspect, the original Honeywells all have similar opposition to movement
as the teeth on the manual actuator mesh with and turn the regular
synchronous motor actuator, and on release, the return of the lever is
damped by the motor action. On the Corgi, the manual actuator meshes on
activation but fails to maintain contact with the cogs on release
resulting in a grating between the cogs as it slips and disengages
contact.

On this basis I can't recommend it for installation, pay an extra tenner
for the original part.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 21:54:41 +0000, fred wrote:

On this basis I can't recommend it for installation, pay an extra tenner
for the original part.

Toolstation used to do a 'Tower' brand generic head but this looks
different. Of course it's only badge engineering but it's an interesting
reflection on CORGI that they should try to exploit their reputation with
the public by putting their name to what must be, at best, fairly meh
bits of kit.

--
John Stumbles

Sent from my Spectrum with the RAM-pack held on by blu-tack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2012 21:54, fred wrote:
[...]

On the subject of pattern parts, I noticed these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22-28-2-or...item4165670604

No idea what they are like... anyone tried one?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

What was wrong with the original?
In my (limited) experience it's the motor itself that fails and it's
easily obtainable for about £7-10.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Stumbles
writes
On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 21:54:41 +0000, fred wrote:

On this basis I can't recommend it for installation, pay an extra tenner
for the original part.

Toolstation used to do a 'Tower' brand generic head but this looks
different. Of course it's only badge engineering but it's an interesting
reflection on CORGI that they should try to exploit their reputation with
the public by putting their name to what must be, at best, fairly meh
bits of kit.

I think it's all they have left . . . .

As an update, I thought I'd wire it up to check the motor driven
operation and it's fookd, cogs slip under motor drive too so it going
back. I'll let you know if the replacement fares any better.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Graham.
writes

What was wrong with the original?
In my (limited) experience it's the motor itself that fails and it's
easily obtainable for about £7-10.

It's the cogs that have worn out so it's a complete replacement. One of
my reasons for being not being a fan Honeywell's enforced proportional
thermostatic control with multiple cycles per hour, it's wearing out my
controls prematurely.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 13:56:56 +0000, fred wrote:

It's the cogs that have worn out so it's a complete replacement. One of
my reasons for being not being a fan Honeywell's enforced proportional
thermostatic control with multiple cycles per hour, it's wearing out my
controls prematurely.

Danfoss kit has the abilty to turn the valve knakering proportional
control off, in fact the instructsions tell you that doing so is
adviseable on systems with zone valves.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 13:56:56 +0000, fred wrote:

It's the cogs that have worn out so it's a complete replacement. One of
my reasons for being not being a fan Honeywell's enforced proportional
thermostatic control with multiple cycles per hour, it's wearing out my
controls prematurely.

Danfoss kit has the abilty to turn the valve knakering proportional
control off, in fact the instructsions tell you that doing so is
adviseable on systems with zone valves.

Yes, there are a few that are switchable, inc Siemens. I'm about to
install a Salus RT500 and an RT300 as a trial to see if they'll do,
they're non proportional and definitely budget end but if I fully
implement one room per zone then I'll be needing quite a few.

Such a shame as the Honeywells are so easy to set/use.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 19, 12:44*am, John Stumbles wrote:

snip

Of course it's only badge engineering but it's an interesting
reflection on CORGI that they should try to exploit their reputation with
the public by putting their name to what must be, at best, fairly meh
bits of kit.

erm .... As CORGI is a long defunct entity I was under the impression
"they"don;t have a reputation anymore?
Just numerous shady shysters happily allowing gullible punters to
believe they do by putting "corgi" all over anything?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote in :

In article , John
Stumbles writes
On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 21:54:41 +0000, fred wrote:

As an update, I thought I'd wire it up to check the motor
driven operation and it's fookd, cogs slip under motor
drive too so it going back. I'll let you know if the
replacement fares any better.

Did you attach the head to the valve to test?

Even the honeywell heads will crunch and grind
if not attached securly to the valve when operated
by hand or electric motor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Heliotrope Smith writes
fred wrote in :

In article , John
Stumbles writes
On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 21:54:41 +0000, fred wrote:

As an update, I thought I'd wire it up to check the motor
driven operation and it's fookd, cogs slip under motor
drive too so it going back. I'll let you know if the
replacement fares any better.

Did you attach the head to the valve to test?

Alas no and I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Even the honeywell heads will crunch and grind
if not attached securly to the valve when operated
by hand or electric motor.

Thank you for the education, many valves fitted but no heads changed.
That was indeed the problem and basic tests show it is operating
correctly. Apologies to Corgi for the faulty information but comments on
sharp edges remain.

Thanks again.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2012 19:13, Jim K wrote:
On Dec 19, 12:44 am, John Stumbles wrote:

snip

Of course it's only badge engineering but it's an interesting
reflection on CORGI that they should try to exploit their reputation with
the public by putting their name to what must be, at best, fairly meh
bits of kit.

erm .... As CORGI is a long defunct entity I was under the impression
"they"don;t have a reputation anymore?

Well the name is still well known even if they no longer have the
government sponsored accreditation gig...

(gov apparently did not realise they did not have the rights to the name
and thought they could shift it to them that are now Gas Safe)

Just numerous shady shysters happily allowing gullible punters to
believe they do by putting "corgi" all over anything?

Presumably the dodgy shysters would actually need to be CORGI to use
their trade mark since they still exist as a legal entity and hence
could defend their trade mark.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 19, 9:07*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 19/12/2012 19:13, Jim K wrote:

[...]

mm ok the official shyster (singular) then:-

https://www.corgihomeplan.co.uk/aboutus.asp in Dunfermline
http://www.corgi-direct.com/contact in Basingstoke
http://www.corgiservices.com/ in Basingstoke
http://www.corgi-insurance.co.uk/contact.html in Godalming
http://www.corgiapproved.com/ in Silchester
http://www.corgimembers.com/ also in Silchester
etc

quote "the name your customers trust"
sums it up to me ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just purchased the corgi valve from toolstation. The item appears to be very well made and is not dissimilar in anyway to the Honeywell valves which I have recently fitted. I hope it works as well as it looks but dont have any concerns so far as the spring return from manual is smooth and consistent!

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...or-859109-.htm