Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Putting your hand in cold water and instantly needing to have a pee

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
polygonum wrote:

It might be immersion diuresis. But even that seems ill-researched

Try telling that to any scuba diver who's in the water for more than an
hour - even in warm waters I struggled to avoid peeing in my wetsuit...

Good grief, why would you want to avoid doing that. One of life's great
pleasures... ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM wrote:

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 08:07:58 +0000, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

MM wrote:

It is a curious thing that we are so conditioned to only pee where
considered right and proper. I still have this sense of exibitionism
if I pull into a layby and take a pee behind a hedge. However, I do
remember the ****oirs in France in the 1950s and they were just a
metal shield on the pavement. Anglo-Saxons definitely have more
hang-ups about this kind of thing than other nationalities.

I recall an occasion in France when stopped at a level crossing.
The guy in the car in front stepped out, took about two paces
towards the hedge and let rip.

And in Britain if a particularly jobsworthy plod happened by, the
bloke would be arrested.

Never mind MM: I believe that on the Indian subcontinent they just have
a **** in the street: perhaps one day we too will aspire to such heady
levels of civilization.

Git.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
jgharston writes
Brian Gaff wrote:
A lot of us as we age find our guts get shall we say lower due to gravity,

Yes, for a bit of time now I've pondered the possibility of
constructing some sort of framework that would fit between my hips and
armpits that I could extend with a ratched to stretch my spine and
keep my back straight and stop my innards crushing themselves.

I have just paid a private Physio 50 quid to do that to my spine. The
idea being to create a bit more space for a bulged disc and my sciatic
nerve.

I suppose if you could support your shoulders with a helium balloon...

Maybe an enlarged version of those early walker frames used by
toddlers:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2012 14:30, Huge wrote:
Yes, I know. I dived for ~15 years. And if you dive in the sea and don't
wash them out afterwards, they stink anyway.

I use a wetsuit for sailing in fresh water. If you don't wash them out
they stink.

I suspect it's skin. My drysuit boots (which are not exposed to skin)
have no such problems.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2012 18:17, Another John wrote:
Never mind MM: I believe that on the Indian subcontinent they just have
a **** in the street: perhaps one day we too will aspire to such heady
levels of civilization.

I was in Jakarta once. One of the locals said to me "They wash in it
[the river, which looked more like a canal in a concrete cutting], they
do their laundry in it, they **** in it. On a good day you can see all
three at once".

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 14 Dec,
Andy Champ wrote:

On 14/12/2012 14:30, Huge wrote:
Yes, I know. I dived for ~15 years. And if you dive in the sea and don't
wash them out afterwards, they stink anyway.

I use a wetsuit for sailing in fresh water. If you don't wash them out
they stink.

I suspect it's skin. My drysuit boots (which are not exposed to skin)
have no such problems.

It's sweat* in my case. I have difficulty peeing in a wetsuit. I use it for
swimming so sweat in it. I usually turn it inside out and give it a shower a
few times after use.

* It never feels as if I'm sweating, but dehydration sets in if you don't
drink, and when swimming hard I don't need a pee.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 14, 5:21*pm, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
On 13/12/2012 20:37, Phil L wrote:

ARW wrote:
I have just gone to remove a broken bathplug from on old dear's bath
down the street.

The bath was full of cold water as she had the bath this morning when
the plug broke. As soon as I put my hand into the water I needed the
toilet - and this was not a "just needed pee" this was a "less than 5
seconds to pee" mode.

Any ideas why this would happen?

No pun intended - I really am not taking the ****, this really
happened. I am used to the cold as I spent Tuesday and Wednesday
working outside for most of the day.

This has been known about for centuries.
An old army joke was to carefully place a sleeping comrade's hand into a
bucket of warm water and when the water went cold, the soldier would wet the
bed

Apparently Mythbusters disproved it

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/my...rs-database/ha...

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

In hospitals, if the nurse wants a urine sample, the old trick is they
pour a jug of water into the sink. The sound makes you ****.

Moving on from that, if you go in a cowshed and take a ****, many of
the cows will start ****ing.

Just thought this was something you might need to know one day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,

ARW wrote:
[...]

that was one of the problems with the fountian in the centre ring of BBc TV
Centre

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

ARW wrote:
[...]

And that's just the excuse you could come up with when you were caught with
your knob out in the cattle shed:-)?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2012 18:17, Another John wrote:

Never mind MM: I believe that on the Indian subcontinent they just have
a **** in the street

Just returned from almost three weeks in India...

Didn't see anyone having a crap in public but saw many, many blokes
peeing in public. I was even invited to have one over the side of the
jeep on a game drive (bl**dy prostate!). I declined and crossed my legs:
Management, sitting next to me, wouldn't have approved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2012 17:05, Bob Eager wrote:

You wait until it's a woman (and it has been, two out of three times)
with a bloody great needle up your bum, taking ten needle biopsies each
time.

Wimp out like me and ask for a GA. The last TRUS was a 24 needle saturation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:26:07 +0000, F wrote:

On 14/12/2012 17:05, Bob Eager wrote:

You wait until it's a woman (and it has been, two out of three times)
with a bloody great needle up your bum, taking ten needle biopsies each
time.

Wimp out like me and ask for a GA. The last TRUS was a 24 needle
saturation.

They've decided not to give me any more for a while. The infection after
the last one landed me in hospital for ten days.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 10:29:04 +0000, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Also some pop-ups

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-QWbuwJSfQ

Well, wouldn't be the first time some residents of Reading saw an
erection in the street.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 17:55:43 +0000, Tim+
wrote:

Try telling that to any scuba diver who's in the water for more than an
hour - even in warm waters I struggled to avoid peeing in my wetsuit...

Good grief, why would you want to avoid doing that. One of life's great
pleasures... ;-)

Right up there with farting in a spacesuit, I would think.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-QWbuwJSfQ

Well, wouldn't be the first time some residents of Reading saw an
erection in the street.

And that video led me to this one

http://youtu.be/STzCDspYPlg

the packaging of which looked strangely familiar, until I remembered the
P-Valve for wetsuits from a couple of days ago ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

You don't need a P-valve in a wet suit. )

Sorry yes, few years back talking to a chap in the pub who does dive
training, he mentioned the ****ing in the wetsuit to keep warm trick,
several of us made a mental note never to hire a wetsuit ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Huge wrote:

You don't need a P-valve in a wet suit. )

Sorry yes, few years back talking to a chap in the pub who does dive
training, he mentioned the ****ing in the wetsuit to keep warm trick,
several of us made a mental note never to hire a wetsuit ...

It's only wee. Nobody's gonna die from wearing a wetsuit that's been
****ed in. Besides, if it's closed cell foam, it's not as if there's
anywhere for the wee to soak in.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2012 12:21, F wrote:
On 14/12/2012 18:17, Another John wrote:

Never mind MM: I believe that on the Indian subcontinent they just have
a **** in the street

Just returned from almost three weeks in India...

Didn't see anyone having a crap in public but saw many, many blokes
peeing in public. I was even invited to have one over the side of the
jeep on a game drive (bl**dy prostate!). I declined and crossed my legs:
Management, sitting next to me, wouldn't have approved.

Them as have prostates may care to consider their selenium status.

Have a look at this abstract - you can link to the full paper.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22847213

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2012 21:18, polygonum wrote:
On 16/12/2012 12:21, F wrote:
On 14/12/2012 18:17, Another John wrote:

Never mind MM: I believe that on the Indian subcontinent they just have
a **** in the street

Just returned from almost three weeks in India...

Didn't see anyone having a crap in public but saw many, many blokes
peeing in public. I was even invited to have one over the side of the
jeep on a game drive (bl**dy prostate!). I declined and crossed my legs:
Management, sitting next to me, wouldn't have approved.

Them as have prostates may care to consider their selenium status.

Have a look at this abstract - you can link to the full paper.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22847213

Thanks for that.

Having Googled for 'selenium prostate' it looks as though selenium is no
longer thought to be of any significant use.

http://prostatecancer.about.com/od/r...a/selenium.htm and a
couple of other sites I looked at seem to come up with the same
conclusion. I do like brazil nuts so I suppose a couple or three a day
can't do any harm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2012 12:21, F wrote:
[...]

Yes - I was aware of the "no use" conclusions as well. And am actually
more interested in selenium WRT other things than prostate. So was
somewhat surprised at the strong positive of that paper. Have been
taking 100 mcg a day (most days) but might up that to 200mcg. Have
always been uneasy taking any more than necessary given tolerable upper
limit is often said to be 400 mcg.

--
Rod