DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Inconspicauous, closable ventilators other than trickle vents? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/349849-inconspicauous-closable-ventilators-other-than-trickle-vents.html)

Robin December 1st 12 01:53 PM

Inconspicauous, closable ventilators other than trickle vents?

I'm decorating a room where the fireplace was closed up many years ago
without any ventilation. There are no signs of damp in the chimney; and
the risks of it should be reduced further now we've had the chimney
capped with a "pepper pot" vent. But I'd like to provide a bit of
ventilation from the room to guard against condensation in the chimney.
Also the windows have no trickle vents (and being aluminium framed I
can't fit any). I'd prefer a vent we can close when it's parky and
blowing a gale. Something like a round soffit vent in the skirting
board might be OK but I can't find any which are closable. I don't fancy
a plastic hit-and-miss in the wall or skirting board (we're not
houseproud but there are limits to what 'er indoors will stick). All
I've found so far are trickle vents for windows which I think I could
fit to the skirting boards by just drilling a line of holes. (I'm not
up to router work.) Any other ideas please?

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] December 1st 12 02:30 PM

On 01/12/12 13:53, Robin wrote:
[...]

grilles in the doors and a vent somewhere else?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Robin December 1st 12 03:51 PM

Inconspicauous, closable ventilators other than trickle vents?

grilles in the doors and a vent somewhere else?

Sorry I was not clear. I want (I think) to ventilate the room via the
chimney so there's less risk of condensation inside the chimney.

harry December 1st 12 05:14 PM

On Dec 1, 1:53*pm, "Robin" wrote:
[...]

Google:- hit or miss ventilator

danjimian December 1st 12 07:36 PM

"Robin" wrote in message
[...]

Not cheap, but the circular ones at the bottom of this page might fit the
bill?

http://www.inbrass.co.uk/acatalog/Closeable_vents.html