DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Raw edge of a ceramic tile. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/349681-raw-edge-ceramic-tile.html)

Justine Time[_2_] November 27th 12 06:33 PM

Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

Hi Guys.....

I am thinking of making a splash back on kitchen worktop using some
ceramic tiles (1 tile high). The thing is the edge of the tiles are
unglazed. Is there anything I can apply to it so it keeps clean and is
wipable. The first thing that I think of is some sort of varnish.

any suggestions appreciated.

MM November 27th 12 07:00 PM

Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 18:33:21 +0000, Justine Time
wrote:

Hi Guys.....

I am thinking of making a splash back on kitchen worktop using some
ceramic tiles (1 tile high). The thing is the edge of the tiles are
unglazed. Is there anything I can apply to it so it keeps clean and is
wipable. The first thing that I think of is some sort of varnish.

any suggestions appreciated.

Just a hint: Be VERY careful of the sharp edges on cut or broken
ceramic tiles! A while ago I was pulling weeds out of the front garden
when my finger slid up the side of some old tile that had buried
itself deep in the earth God knows how many years ago. Opened the skin
practically down to the bone like a Stanley knife. Needed stitching up
in A&E.

MM

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 27th 12 07:24 PM

Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

wrote:

Hi Guys.....

I am thinking of making a splash back on kitchen worktop using some
ceramic tiles (1 tile high). The thing is the edge of the tiles are
unglazed. Is there anything I can apply to it so it keeps clean and is
wipable. The first thing that I think of is some sort of varnish.

any suggestions appreciated.

Just a hint: Be VERY careful of the sharp edges on cut or broken
ceramic tiles! A while ago I was pulling weeds out of the front garden
when my finger slid up the side of some old tile that had buried
itself deep in the earth God knows how many years ago. Opened the skin
practically down to the bone like a Stanley knife. Needed stitching up
in A&E.

MM

diamond knife sharpener or even emery will sort that.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Muddymike[_2_] November 27th 12 07:37 PM

Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

"Justine Time" wrote in message ...

Hi Guys.....

I am thinking of making a splash back on kitchen worktop using some
ceramic tiles (1 tile high). The thing is the edge of the tiles are
unglazed. Is there anything I can apply to it so it keeps clean and is
wipable. The first thing that I think of is some sort of varnish.

any suggestions appreciated.

You can buy plastic edging that beds in the tile cement under the tile and
gives a nice curved edge.

Mike

polygonum November 27th 12 07:39 PM

Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

On 27/11/2012 18:33, Justine Time wrote:
Hi Guys.....

I am thinking of making a splash back on kitchen worktop using some
ceramic tiles (1 tile high). The thing is the edge of the tiles are
unglazed. Is there anything I can apply to it so it keeps clean and is
wipable. The first thing that I think of is some sort of varnish.

any suggestions appreciated.

I wonder if something like Lithofin Stainstop would help?

--
Rod

Stuart Noble November 27th 12 07:40 PM

Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

On 27/11/2012 18:33, Justine Time wrote:
Hi Guys.....

I am thinking of making a splash back on kitchen worktop using some
ceramic tiles (1 tile high). The thing is the edge of the tiles are
unglazed. Is there anything I can apply to it so it keeps clean and is
wipable. The first thing that I think of is some sort of varnish.

any suggestions appreciated.

I like the Homelux internal cove tile trim.

http://www.homelux.co.uk/index.php?l...t_detail&p=100

Dave Plowman (News) November 27th 12 11:43 PM

Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
You can buy plastic edging that beds in the tile cement under the tile
and gives a nice curved edge.

Also in polished aluminium.

--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Steve Firth November 28th 12 08:20 AM

Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

Muddymike wrote:

You can buy plastic edging that beds in the tile cement under the tile and
gives a nice curved edge.

Only for limited values of "nice." IMO it looks bloody awful and has the
durability of plasticine.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] November 28th 12 08:59 AM

Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 08:20:39 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

You can buy plastic edging that beds in the tile cement under the tile
and gives a nice curved edge.

Only for limited values of "nice." IMO it looks bloody awful and has
the durability of plasticine.

Meh. Needs to be the correct size for the tile thickness and to my eye
looks a lot better than the bare edge of a tile. It'll take a whack
better than a tile as well. Idealy one would use edging tiles that are
rounded and glazed back to the rear face.

--
Cheers
Dave.

sm_jamieson November 28th 12 09:13 AM

Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:33:24 PM UTC, Justine Time wrote:
Hi Guys.....

I am thinking of making a splash back on kitchen worktop using some

ceramic tiles (1 tile high). The thing is the edge of the tiles are

unglazed. Is there anything I can apply to it so it keeps clean and is

wipable. The first thing that I think of is some sort of varnish.

any suggestions appreciated.

If you don't like the plastic trim, you can get ceramic quadrant tiles to run along a top edge.
And the Johnson primatic white range have a full set of various round edged tiles, coves, internal + external corners, etc (which cost a fortune).
According to a tiler I spoke to, the introduction of the plastic (or other materials) quadrant has more or less killed off the round edged tiles.
Look at any tiled fireplace from the 30s to 50s and it is done using a full kit of tiles for corners, edges etc. Can you get those tiles any more ? No. There is a market in such reclaimed tiles.

Jon Fairbairn November 28th 12 11:04 AM

Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

(Steve Firth) writes:

Muddymike wrote:

You can buy plastic edging that beds in the tile cement under the tile and
gives a nice curved edge.

Only for limited values of "nice." IMO it looks bloody awful and has the
durability of plasticine.

There exists a stainless steel version:
http://www.juststainless.co.uk/products/trim.asp

(which is what I asked the chaps who tiled my splashback to fit,
but they used something nasty :-()
--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2012-10-07)

GB November 28th 12 11:22 AM

Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

On 27/11/2012 18:33, Justine Time wrote:
Hi Guys.....

I am thinking of making a splash back on kitchen worktop using some
ceramic tiles (1 tile high). The thing is the edge of the tiles are
unglazed. Is there anything I can apply to it so it keeps clean and is
wipable. The first thing that I think of is some sort of varnish.

any suggestions appreciated.

Paint it the same colour as the wall. That's probably the easiest.

Halmyre November 28th 12 01:22 PM

Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

wrote:
Hi Guys.....

I am thinking of making a splash back on kitchen worktop *using some
ceramic tiles (1 tile high). The thing is the edge of the tiles are
unglazed. Is there anything I can apply to it so it keeps clean and is
wipable. The first thing that I think of is some sort of varnish.

any suggestions appreciated.

Just a hint: Be VERY careful of the sharp edges on cut or broken
ceramic tiles! A while ago I was pulling weeds out of the front garden
when my finger slid up the side of some old tile that had buried
itself deep in the earth God knows how many years ago. Opened the skin
practically down to the bone like a Stanley knife. Needed stitching up
in A&E.

Ouch. The cuts are more painful as well.

--
Halmyre

djc November 28th 12 02:10 PM

Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

and stainless steel http://www.juststainless.co.uk/products/trim.asp

--
djc

sm_jamieson November 28th 12 03:32 PM

Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

On Wednesday, November 28, 2012 11:22:48 AM UTC, GB wrote:
On 27/11/2012 18:33, Justine Time wrote:

Hi Guys.....

I am thinking of making a splash back on kitchen worktop using some

ceramic tiles (1 tile high). The thing is the edge of the tiles are

unglazed. Is there anything I can apply to it so it keeps clean and is

wipable. The first thing that I think of is some sort of varnish.

any suggestions appreciated.

Paint it the same colour as the wall. That's probably the easiest.

Or you could try some of that gloss tile paint.

I have a couple of bits of bare tile edge where I have tiled up around my cooker hood (only about 50mm long though) and probably too high to notice, but I'll probably use white emulsion since that will soak in a bit and disguise the edges.
Simon.

Lobster November 28th 12 04:37 PM

Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

On 27/11/12 19:00, MM wrote:

Just a hint: Be VERY careful of the sharp edges on cut or broken
ceramic tiles! A while ago I was pulling weeds out of the front garden
when my finger slid up the side of some old tile that had buried
itself deep in the earth God knows how many years ago. Opened the skin
practically down to the bone like a Stanley knife. Needed stitching up
in A&E.

diamond knife sharpener or even emery will sort that.

Well you must be a hard case - personally I think A&E was the right choice.

David

Stuart Noble November 28th 12 05:25 PM

Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

On 28/11/2012 08:20, Steve Firth wrote:
Muddymike wrote:

You can buy plastic edging that beds in the tile cement under the tile and
gives a nice curved edge.

Only for limited values of "nice." IMO it looks bloody awful and has the
durability of plasticine.

Let's put it this way, it's "nicer" than a tile edge, and more durable
than any other solution.