Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Saw horse for use with chain saw

Anyone got any recommendations for a saw horse to hold logs for cutting with
a chain saw?

Seen a cheap one at Amazon with mixed reviews, and some more expensive ones.
The cheap one seems to be designed to cut the log within the saw horse -
various comments about using a piece of 2*2 to protect the chainsaw from the
metal.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-1...1519065&sr=8-7

I was thinking of one where the log stuck out from the end to give a clean
cut, but this gives balance problems when you are cutting a log in half with
50% of the log sticking out of the end of the saw horse.
So I was looking for something with a securing clamp to hold the log.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...owViewpoints=1
looks interesting but is £80 which is a non-trivial price.
Also looks remarkably similat to the Makita one
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-p...p71691-p126402

So, recommendations anyone?

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:18:33 -0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

The cheap one seems to be designed to cut the log within the saw horse

snip
I was thinking of one where the log stuck out from the end to give a
clean cut,

"Within the horse" I can see the cut tending to close an bind onto the
bar/chain. "Out of the end" the cut will open but may split/rip before
the cut is completed unless you cut the underside first.

Not sure who the amazon or makita ones work. They clamp the log but what
supports it to stop it pivoting at the clamp point?

I think that some sort of trough arrangement with 2" or so cutting slots
along it's length and some form of clamp to stop the log rotating would
be better. Each short trough section supports each section of cut log so
hopefully not allow the cut to close/open too much.

Lay log in, clamp it, then run saw down each cutting slot, lift cut logs
off. Anything that means, position, clamp. cut, reposition, clamp, cut is
going to be tedious.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:
[snip]

Lay log in, clamp it, then run saw down each cutting slot, lift cut logs
off. Anything that means, position, clamp. cut, reposition, clamp, cut is
going to be tedious.

Last time I looked saw horses varied from £12 for something that looked
lethal to £80 for one that had a holder for the chainsaw that permitted one
hand to hold the workpiece.

However another £40 buys a much better device with a built in circular saw
and kill switch. You use these by dropping a log into a tough. Pull a
handle and the circular saw chops the log. Push handle and slide log to the
right, repeat.

http://bit.ly/Uac7od

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2012 15:31, Steve Firth wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:
[snip]

Lay log in, clamp it, then run saw down each cutting slot, lift cut logs
off. Anything that means, position, clamp. cut, reposition, clamp, cut is
going to be tedious.

Last time I looked saw horses varied from £12 for something that looked
lethal to £80 for one that had a holder for the chainsaw that permitted one
hand to hold the workpiece.

However another £40 buys a much better device with a built in circular saw
and kill switch. You use these by dropping a log into a tough. Pull a
handle and the circular saw chops the log. Push handle and slide log to the
right, repeat.

http://bit.ly/Uac7od

IME chainsaws are better for logs. Circular is ok when the material is
reasonably straight and sits squarely on its supports but, since logs
tend to be all over the place, the blade will tend to bind.
Often you find you don't need a sawhorse with so many logs lying around.
They support each other

Posted to uk.d-i-y

metal.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-1...Horse/dp/B001C...

I was thinking of one where the log stuck out from the end to give a clean
cut, but this gives balance problems when you are cutting a log in half with
50% of the log sticking out of the end of the saw horse.
So I was looking for something with a securing clamp to hold the log.http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...dp_top_cm_cr_a...
looks interesting but is £80 which is a non-trivial price.
Also looks remarkably similat to the Makita onehttp://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-p-71691-chainsaw-saw-horse-p71691-...

So, recommendations anyone?

Cheers

You are better just to make one up out of wood. Two "X" pieces linked
with timber
All these metal ones mean that at some point you will catch the chain
on them and damage both.
Re the balance thing, I cut bits off from each projecting end
alternately. Final cut between the "X"s.
Or you can modify a workmate with extra wood bits screwed on (to take
the cut marks :-)

I also have a metal one with twin hold down straps. It has bits of
plastic tube on it to "protect" it from the chain, But it doesn't.

I have yet to see the perfect solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
On 29/10/2012 15:31, Steve Firth wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:
[snip]

Lay log in, clamp it, then run saw down each cutting slot, lift cut logs
off. Anything that means, position, clamp. cut, reposition, clamp, cut is
going to be tedious.

Last time I looked saw horses varied from £12 for something that looked
lethal to £80 for one that had a holder for the chainsaw that permitted one
hand to hold the workpiece.

However another £40 buys a much better device with a built in circular saw
and kill switch. You use these by dropping a log into a tough. Pull a
handle and the circular saw chops the log. Push handle and slide log to the
right, repeat.

http://bit.ly/Uac7od

IME chainsaws are better for logs. Circular is ok when the material is
reasonably straight and sits squarely on its supports but, since logs
tend to be all over the place, the blade will tend to bind.

Odd that all of the firewood pros for miles around use tractor PTO versions
of the same thing then.

Often you find you don't need a sawhorse with so many logs lying around.
They support each other

Right... Good luck with that.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 3:31*pm, Steve Firth wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

[snip]

Lay log in, clamp it, then run saw down each cutting slot, lift cut logs
off. Anything that means, position, clamp. cut, reposition, clamp, cut is
going to be tedious.

Last time I looked saw horses varied from £12 for something that looked
lethal to £80 for one that had a holder for the chainsaw that permitted one
hand to hold the workpiece.

However another £40 buys a much better device with a built in circular saw
and kill switch. You use these by dropping a log into a tough. Pull a
handle and the circular saw chops the log. Push handle and slide log to the
right, repeat.

http://bit.ly/Uac7od

huh?

£80 + £40 = £230?

Shome mishtake shurely?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2012 14:18, David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

I have seen YouTube videos of these things in use, and they look good...
http://www.tcfengineering.co.uk/#/log-lifter/4552654003

Seem expensive for what they are though...

Maybe you can make something similar!?

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message

[...]

I use a workmate with two sacrificial lengths of 4x2 fixed to the top by
screws up through the holes in the worktop. It doesn't hold the log but with
a little practise I can cut both ends, then cut the centre down onto the
2x4.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How astonishing -- I was thinking about "inventing" something for myself
for exactly this problem, just this very morning while digging in the
mud.

My version was (is) going to be the trough solution: two bits of old
plank bolted at right angles to each other on the edge, possibly using
angle iron. Then I was (will be) going to cut generous notches in the
trough at 9" intervals (the length that our little stove will take).
This trough will sit in the quite large saw horse that I made for myself
last year out of lumps of wood that were lying around.

Of course, I will have to cut a log almost to the depth of the notches,
then turn it in order to go all the way through, but this is loads
better than dealing with all the fiddling little problems listed in this
thread.

BTW I wouldn't fancy spending 80 quid on that fancy one, and definitely
not spending 16.5 quid on the cheap one!

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2012 17:35, Another John wrote:
[...]

The main thing is that chainsaws are very forgiving, and will allow you
to do the double cuts you describe without kickback.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/12 14:18, David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

nail one together from 2x4 and a couple of bolts.

Thats what I did. Its practically sawn in half now, but it did its job...

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone got any recommendations for a saw horse to hold logs for cutting with
a chain saw?

I've never bothered with a sawhorse, too much effort in lifting a
piece of cord when it can be cut in situ. The main need is to stop the
log rotating and being pulled up to the saw dogs.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Anyone got any recommendations for a saw horse to hold logs for cutting
with a chain saw?

IMHO it is very wasteful to use a chain saw for cutting logs as firewood.
High cost, high maintenance and high risk.
My preferred option. Use a chain saw to fell or cut timber to manageable
length/weight.
Then a diesel driven bench saw to cut into firewood lengths. Then an axe or
maul or sledge/wedges to split.
This is how I have done it for nigh on forty years. I am very fortunate in
having a bench saw with 2cyl Lister driving a 36" blade. Can generally
cut/split/stack a years worth of firewood in about 4 days, spread over the
year. This is about 5 or 6 tons.
Machine is def not elfinsafety friendly but I remember the golden rules-
always use a push stick, don't allow your hands over the surface of the
bench and call it a day if feeling tired. I still have all my digits and the
bits that they're attached to. Have had some scary moments of course. AD is
taking its course and toll but I've enough cut to warm this old place for
the winter. Haven't had to pay any heating bills for many years. May be
forced to rethink over the next few years.
Sawbench will run for 10 hours on 1 gallon of red splosh. Change oil every 2
years or so (it doesn't use or leak any), annual grease of bearings, adjust
drive belts and a thorough check. A lovely reliable homebuilt piece of
machinery.
Also it is quite therapeutic. A few hours of an autumn afternoon or a crisp
winter morning leave me feeling quite refreshed and with some sense of
achievement.
My apologies, I'm getting carried away and the above is prob TOT. Sorry.

Just my 2P's worth.
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone got any recommendations for a saw horse to hold logs for cutting with
a chain saw?

Knock one up with six lengths of 2x4
Make the ends of 2x4 crossed fairly near to the top (about 2/3 of the
way up) and have a third X about a foot in from the RH end.
Brace it all up with timber boards or similar and Bob's yer odd uncle.
However, don't leave it lying around outside for years as it will
eventually fall apart and do treat the timbers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 5:11*pm, Jim K wrote:
On Oct 29, 3:31*pm, Steve Firth wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

[snip]

Lay log in, clamp it, then run saw down each cutting slot, lift cut logs
off. Anything that means, position, clamp. cut, reposition, clamp, cut is
going to be tedious.

Last time I looked saw horses varied from £12 for something that looked
lethal to £80 for one that had a holder for the chainsaw that permitted one
hand to hold the workpiece.

However another £40 buys a much better device with a built in circular saw
and kill switch. You use these by dropping a log into a tough. Pull a
handle and the circular saw chops the log. Push handle and slide log to the
right, repeat.

http://bit.ly/Uac7od

huh?

£80 + £40 = £230?

Shome mishtake shurely?

Jim K

Cutting/utilising logs has become very twee these days.
In days of yore it was about economics, now it's about saving the
planet.
So they can make/sell these posh devices.
Might even make sense with the price of gas. Still, no need to buy a
posh device.

Selling logs is becoming a major industry where I live.
At one time you could get free firewood for the labour of cutting up a
fallen tree but not anymore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 5:35*pm, Another John wrote:
[...]

I have a device that holds mutiple logs,strapped down (two straps). It
means you can simultaneously cut up long relatively thin branches.
It works wonderfully except that at some point you catch either the
straps or the tubular metal frame.
The two straps means that you can make a final cut between them and
not be left with an awkward bit at the end.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 11:16*pm, "Nick" wrote:
"David WE Roberts" wrote in ... Anyone got any recommendations for a saw horse to hold logs for cutting
[...]

I have both petrol and electric chainsaws. Subject to the cable, the
electric one is much safer/easier/lighter to use. Not as well made as
the petrol one which is a Husqvana.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On Oct 29, 3:31 pm, Steve Firth wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

[snip]

Lay log in, clamp it, then run saw down each cutting slot, lift cut logs
off. Anything that means, position, clamp. cut, reposition, clamp, cut is
going to be tedious.

Last time I looked saw horses varied from £12 for something that looked
lethal to £80 for one that had a holder for the chainsaw that permitted one
hand to hold the workpiece.

However another £40 buys a much better device with a built in circular saw
and kill switch. You use these by dropping a log into a tough. Pull a
handle and the circular saw chops the log. Push handle and slide log to the
right, repeat.

http://bit.ly/Uac7od

huh?

£80 + £40 = £230?

Shome mishtake shurely?

Err yes when did £130 become £230? Kind of you to pre announce your
mistake.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:18:33 -0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

The cheap one seems to be designed to cut the log within the saw horse

snip
I was thinking of one where the log stuck out from the end to give a
clean cut,

"Within the horse" I can see the cut tending to close an bind onto the
bar/chain. "Out of the end" the cut will open but may split/rip before
the cut is completed unless you cut the underside first.

Not sure who the amazon or makita ones work. They clamp the log but what
supports it to stop it pivoting at the clamp point?

snip

The attraction of the Makita one is that it clamps the log at one end then
suspends it over the 'foot' which stops the whole thing toppling over.
You then make multiple cuts along the log (just as if it was still attached
to the tree) and the log falls away from the saw instead of potentially
pinching it.
It looks as though it may handle odd shapes well, also.
Best price so far including delivery is £66.99 which may be justified for
something which folds away neatly and will last for many years.

Noted from many responses that making up a '3 X' trestle from wood is
probably better than buying one.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:18:33 -0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

The cheap one seems to be designed to cut the log within the saw horse

snip
I was thinking of one where the log stuck out from the end to give a
clean cut,

"Within the horse" I can see the cut tending to close an bind onto the
bar/chain. "Out of the end" the cut will open but may split/rip before
the cut is completed unless you cut the underside first.

Not sure who the amazon or makita ones work. They clamp the log but what
supports it to stop it pivoting at the clamp point?

snip

See what you mean - looking again it seems to rely on the weight of the log
to brace it against the top clamp so that must limit you on the final cut.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message

[...]

Unfortunately I don't have the space for a fixed installation like this -
otherwise a large bandsaw or similar could do.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

[...]

I've never really understood how saw horses are supposed to work, they
seem fundamentally unstable and hence unsafe to me for use with a
chainsaw.

I construct a solid 'table' (of large stumps, logs, whatever), if it's
not safe for the saw to hit the table surface then cover with a sheet
of old ply, chipboard or whatever. Then along the front a series of
vertical posts are fixed to the 'table' with gaps in between through
which you can saw logs placed on the table. Job done!

The posts along the front are either solidly secured to the table
(which is heavy enough to be essentially immovable) or they are driven
into the ground, or both. Since they are vertical there's no chance
of the log rolling out (as it can on a saw horse) and since the log is
supported along most of its length it doesn't fall as you saw and
pinch the chainsaw bar.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

I have both petrol and electric chainsaws. Subject to the cable, the
electric one is much safer/easier/lighter to use. Not as well made as
the petrol one which is a Husqvana.

I have an electric Makita (the one with the motor 'lengthwise') and
it's excellent, I've really never felt the need for a petrol one as
well.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 30, 9:46*am, Steve Firth wrote:
Jim K wrote:
On Oct 29, 3:31 pm, Steve Firth wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

[snip]

Lay log in, clamp it, then run saw down each cutting slot, lift cut logs
off. Anything that means, position, clamp. cut, reposition, clamp, cut is
going to be tedious.

Last time I looked saw horses varied from £12 for something that looked
lethal to £80 for one that had a holder for the chainsaw that permitted one
hand to hold the workpiece.

However another £40 buys a much better device with a built in circular saw
and kill switch. You use these by dropping a log into a tough. Pull a
handle and the circular saw chops the log. Push handle and slide log to the
right, repeat.

http://bit.ly/Uac7od

huh?

£80 + £40 = £230?

Shome mishtake shurely?

Err yes when did £130 become £230? Kind of you to pre announce your
mistake.

I merely followed *your* link filthy old scum - buy it now was
£229....

I see it now has 1 bid on it so the BIN has gone - mmmm let's see what
it goes for shall we children?

Jim K