Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Super warm gloves for building

Can anyone recommend a thin but warm pair of work gloves. Water proofness is
not a requirement. Being able to wield a screwdriver and spanner is.

The jobs are gutter hanging and window fitting in December :-o

Cheers,

Tim

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/12 19:32, Tim Watts wrote:
Can anyone recommend a thin but warm pair of work gloves. Water proofness is
not a requirement. Being able to wield a screwdriver and spanner is.

The jobs are gutter hanging and window fitting in December :-o

Cheers,

Tim

try Nomex kitchen gloves.

Not good if wet or in strong wind, but very much the thing for touching
cold or hot stuff

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2012 19:32, Tim Watts wrote:
Can anyone recommend a thin but warm pair of work gloves. Water proofness is
not a requirement. Being able to wield a screwdriver and spanner is.

The jobs are gutter hanging and window fitting in December :-o

Cheers,

Tim

Found 3M Thinsulate can be quite good - but lots of different products
so you need a bit more research/advice.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2012 19:32, Tim Watts wrote:
Can anyone recommend a thin but warm pair of work gloves. Water proofness is
not a requirement. Being able to wield a screwdriver and spanner is.

The jobs are gutter hanging and window fitting in December :-o

Cheers,

Tim

I really like this type

http://www.screwfix.com/p/general-ha...s-gloves/74540

Available all over the place, just picked up the screwfix link for
simplicity.

They give good physical protection while still letting you do fairly
delicate stuff. I've not particularly used them for warmth, but I expect
they would be fairly effective. They are a bit stretchy so the right
size is very close fitting, in contrast to thinsulate or traditional
rigger gloves.

They are quite tough enough for handling blocks and splintery woodwork
or plywood.

Used them this morning (ice on the car) while jacking up a car, handling
various wooden chocks and metal axle stands with concrete block "backup".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2012 19:59, newshound wrote:
[...]

I really like gloves like that for general protection but they have not
seemed to be very good in frosty weather - or am I going soft? And they
are not very much protection against sharp saw blades... Ow

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
Can anyone recommend a thin but warm pair of work gloves. Water
proofness is not a requirement. Being able to wield a screwdriver and
spanner is.

The jobs are gutter hanging and window fitting in December :-o

They won't be on for longer than 5 minutes at a time - it's practically
impossible to hold screws, nuts, bolts etc with gloves on

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2012 20:34, Phil L wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
Can anyone recommend a thin but warm pair of work gloves. Water
proofness is not a requirement. Being able to wield a screwdriver and
spanner is.

The jobs are gutter hanging and window fitting in December :-o

They won't be on for longer than 5 minutes at a time - it's practically
impossible to hold screws, nuts, bolts etc with gloves on

Actually I find you *can* fit screws, nuts, and bolts with the gloves I
suggested. They are not *quite* delicate enough to remove a single screw
easily from a box until you get to about 2 inch No 8's.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
Can anyone recommend a thin but warm pair of work gloves. Water
proofness is not a requirement. Being able to wield a screwdriver and
spanner is.

The jobs are gutter hanging and window fitting in December :-o

They won't be on for longer than 5 minutes at a time - it's practically
impossible to hold screws, nuts, bolts etc with gloves on

Actually I find you *can* fit screws, nuts, and bolts with the gloves I
suggested. They are not *quite* delicate enough to remove a single screw
easily from a box until you get to about 2 inch No 8's.

Cheers,

I'll give them a try - can always cut the tips off the thumb and first
finger if needs be.

Looking at how the gutter is fitted now, it's probably going to be
coachscrews into piloted holes - and 50% of the job will be marking out and
pilot drilling.

The fiddly bit that the gloves may well impede will be the wibbly little
bolts on the joints. Glad all this is at 7' off the ground

Tim
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2012 19:32, Tim Watts wrote:
Can anyone recommend a thin but warm pair of work gloves. Water proofness is
not a requirement. Being able to wield a screwdriver and spanner is.

The jobs are gutter hanging and window fitting in December :-o

Something like:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/general-ha...s-gloves/74540

give good grip and leaves you with a fair amount of fine control. They
are not super insulated, but they keep the wind off and are way better
than nothing.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
Can anyone recommend a thin but warm pair of work gloves. Water
proofness is not a requirement. Being able to wield a screwdriver and
spanner is.

The jobs are gutter hanging and window fitting in December :-o

They won't be on for longer than 5 minutes at a time - it's practically
impossible to hold screws, nuts, bolts etc with gloves on

Actually I find you *can* fit screws, nuts, and bolts with the gloves I
suggested. They are not *quite* delicate enough to remove a single screw
easily from a box until you get to about 2 inch No 8's.

Cheers,

I'll give them a try - can always cut the tips off the thumb and first
finger if needs be.

Magnetic bit holder solves most of the problem of getting them out of
the box ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 October 2012 19:32:47 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
Can anyone recommend a thin but warm pair of work gloves.

Thin blue vinyl "surgical" gloves, with orange rubbery knit over them. There's a surprising warmth to be had from just thin rubber gloves, compared to bare skin.

Best of all though is good circulation. Some people (fortunately myself included) just keep their fingertips warm naturally.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 19:32:43 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Can anyone recommend a thin but warm pair of work gloves. Water
proofness is not a requirement. Being able to wield a screwdriver and
spanner is.

CostCo have some work gloves that are pretty damn good. I've used the
"general building glove" but the CostCo ones are better particularly for
fiddly/fine work. They also seem to last longer when drystone walling so
pretty hard wearing.

The CostCo gloves are these:

http://www.diygloves.co.uk/product.php?id_product=12

CostCo Dec '11 £14.39 inc VAT box of 10 size 10/XL.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

They won't be on for longer than 5 minutes at a time - it's practically
impossible to hold screws, nuts, bolts etc with gloves on

Gloves are mandatory on many building sites. You can't take them off.
You just have to learn to manage.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 27, 11:52*pm, Bill Wright wrote:
Phil L wrote:
They won't be on for longer than 5 minutes at a time - it's practically
impossible to hold screws, nuts, bolts etc with gloves on

Gloves are mandatory on many building sites. You can't take them off.
You just have to learn to manage.

You take them off once you know who the police are.
The big problem is gloves can help fingers to freeze.

If you want cold protection wear mittens. Apparently the Canadians
never went bear handed. It was impossible not to use gloves in winter
and by the thaw your skin was too soft to work without them.

At least with mittens you can easily slip them back on. Gloves take a
minute at least.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 19:32:43 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Can anyone recommend a thin but warm pair of work gloves. Water
proofness is not a requirement. Being able to wield a screwdriver and
spanner is.

CostCo have some work gloves that are pretty damn good. I've used the
"general building glove" but the CostCo ones are better particularly for
fiddly/fine work. They also seem to last longer when drystone walling so
pretty hard wearing.

The CostCo gloves are these:

http://www.diygloves.co.uk/product.php?id_product=12

CostCo Dec '11 £14.39 inc VAT box of 10 size 10/XL.

Thanks Dave - they look good!
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm scribeth thus
On 27/10/2012 19:32, Tim Watts wrote:
Can anyone recommend a thin but warm pair of work gloves. Water proofness is
not a requirement. Being able to wield a screwdriver and spanner is.

The jobs are gutter hanging and window fitting in December :-o

Something like:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/general-ha...s-gloves/74540

give good grip and leaves you with a fair amount of fine control. They
are not super insulated, but they keep the wind off and are way better
than nothing.

Those ones are very good, been using them quite a bit recently and a
good compromise between protection and "feel" they are too...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
They won't be on for longer than 5 minutes at a time - it's practically
impossible to hold screws, nuts, bolts etc with gloves on

Gloves are mandatory on many building sites. You can't take them off.
You just have to learn to manage.

You take them off once you know who the police are.
The big problem is gloves can help fingers to freeze.

If you want cold protection wear mittens. Apparently the Canadians
never went bear handed. It was impossible not to use gloves in winter
and by the thaw your skin was too soft to work without them.

At least with mittens you can easily slip them back on. Gloves take a
minute at least.

The gloves with no fingertips, but with an attached mitten flap, can be
useful. The flap flips back out of the way, and can quickly be pulled
down over the fingertips.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 27/10/12 19:32, Tim Watts wrote:
Can anyone recommend a thin but warm pair of work gloves. Water proofness is
not a requirement. Being able to wield a screwdriver and spanner is.

The jobs are gutter hanging and window fitting in December :-o

How much for protection and how much for keeping warm. Woollen gloves
without fingertips are good (I use them for winter photography) if cold
is a problem, but not ideal if handling rough materials.

--
djc

where to buy SUPER WARM mittins -- like for climbing Mt. Everest? David Combs Home Repair 16 February 13th 12 10:03 PM
Gloves, again PeterC UK diy 9 July 13th 09 04:33 PM
Gloves Steve Lowe UK diy 2 December 14th 06 07:20 PM
Gloves The Medway Handyman UK diy 19 March 20th 06 11:00 PM
FA: Super cheap metalworking equipment -Mitutoyo, Starrett, Super/morse Joee Metalworking 0 April 19th 05 08:07 AM