Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Silicone on a shower cubicle: application?

Howdy

It's time to replace the silicone round the bottom of our shower
cubicle, as it's come away at one end and leaks seep out on to the
floor. (Goodness knows how long it's been going on.)

The shower was installed (very well indeed) by professionals more than
15 years ago.

So .. I'm busy removing the old bead, just the one round the bottom of
the cubicle, on the outside.....

I've noticed that there's no bead on the *inside* of the cubicle: is
there some kind of 'professional' reason for not doing that?
Personally, belt and braces, I'd have put one inside and outside.

(Of course) there *is* a bead round the bottom of the cubicle on the two
sides where tiles meet shower-tray, but not on the two sides where the
glass cubicle meets the tray.

Any enlightening comments welcomed - ta.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Oct, 12:57, Another John wrote:
[...]

When I bought and fitted a cubicle, the instructions stated that no
sealant
should be applied to the inside of the base of the cubicle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

When I bought and fitted a cubicle, the instructions stated that no
sealant
should be applied to the inside of the base of the cubicle.

+1

+another one

Think this is the norm. I assume it is because it provides somewhere
for water that does get into the frame to drain away - otherwise there
would be a long term pool of increasingly suspect % probably maloderous
water trapped in the frame.

HTH

Chris K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

When I bought and fitted a cubicle, the instructions stated that no
sealant
should be applied to the inside of the base of the cubicle.

+1

+another one

And another. I have fitted four cubicles in the last five years. All of
them came with instructions that stated no sealant on the inside.

--
€˘DarWin|
_/ _/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

When I bought and fitted a cubicle, the instructions stated that no
sealant
should be applied to the inside of the base of the cubicle.

+1

+another one

And another. I have fitted four cubicles in the last five years. All of
them came with instructions that stated no sealant on the inside.

+ yet another one...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

When I bought and fitted a cubicle, the instructions stated that no
sealant should be applied to the inside of the base of the cubicle.

+1

+another one

And another. I have fitted four cubicles in the last five years. All of
them came with instructions that stated no sealant on the inside.

+ yet another one...

Ohhhh bugger .... unanimous then.

Well I'll let you all know the reason why in a few months, perhaps: no
replies came in yesterday while I was preparing the job, and since it's
the kind of job I hate doing, and I was in mid-flow, and it seemed such
a "no brainer" to silicone the inside as well .... I did.

Wonder what'll happen?

Cheers boys. What a shame I was so impatient -- never have I seen such
a simply unanimous reply in D-I-Y!

John

Installing a shower cubicle [email protected][_2_] UK diy 8 October 7th 08 04:29 PM
shower cubicle tileing Graham. UK diy 7 November 14th 07 05:27 PM
Shower Cubicle JonG UK diy 13 October 12th 07 05:18 PM
new shower cubicle installation [email protected] UK diy 5 March 21st 06 03:35 PM
Re-Tiling shower cubicle jon UK diy 6 February 2nd 06 11:43 PM