DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Power cuts. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/347943-power-cuts.html)

harry October 19th 12 08:25 AM

Power cuts.

Maybe it's time to make sure you have a few candles and some firewood/
coal in.
Bring the barbeque into the living room.....?

Muddymike[_2_] October 19th 12 08:44 AM

Power cuts.

"harry" wrote in message

Maybe it's time to make sure you have a few candles and some firewood/
coal in.
Bring the barbeque into the living room.....?

Now that's sound advice if you want to kill your whole family!

Mike

Dave Liquorice[_2_] October 19th 12 09:32 AM

Power cuts.

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 00:25:25 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

Bring the barbeque into the living room.....?

Go for it Harry, nice bit of heat, somwhere to cook.

Oh don't worry about the carbon monoxide, it'll only kill you and
everyone else once.

--
Cheers
Dave.

The Other Mike[_3_] October 19th 12 09:56 AM

Power cuts.

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 09:32:50 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 00:25:25 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

Bring the barbeque into the living room.....?

Go for it Harry, nice bit of heat, somwhere to cook.

Oh don't worry about the carbon monoxide, it'll only kill you and
everyone else once.

He could invite some more parasites and hold a FIT party.

Michael Kilpatrick[_2_] October 19th 12 10:41 AM

Power cuts.

On 19/10/2012 08:25, harry wrote:
Maybe it's time to make sure you have a few candles and some firewood/
coal in.
Bring the barbeque into the living room.....?

And don't forget the kindling as well! We've got loads of firewood, but
I was really struggling to light the fire last night as I had to
scrabble around the shed for something vaguely useful to start the thing
off. And I had no newspaper, and A4 printer paper isn't that good. Oops!

Michael

[email protected] October 19th 12 10:48 AM

Power cuts.

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:41:27 +0100, Michael Kilpatrick
wrote:

On 19/10/2012 08:25, harry wrote:
Maybe it's time to make sure you have a few candles and some firewood/
coal in.

And don't forget the kindling as well! We've got loads of firewood,

if you were quick of the mark you could have got some more from across
the road for use next year.

G.Harman

Michael Kilpatrick[_2_] October 19th 12 11:56 AM

Power cuts.

wrote:

On 19/10/2012 08:25, harry wrote:
Maybe it's time to make sure you have a few candles and some firewood/
coal in.

And don't forget the kindling as well! We've got loads of firewood,

if you were quick of the mark you could have got some more from across
the road for use next year.

Don't be silly. Sod's law says that they are bound to be complete the
wrong sort of wood....

Michael

Jules Richardson October 19th 12 02:20 PM

Power cuts.

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:41:27 +0100, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
And don't forget the kindling as well! We've got loads of firewood, but
I was really struggling to light the fire last night as I had to
scrabble around the shed for something vaguely useful to start the thing
off. And I had no newspaper, and A4 printer paper isn't that good. Oops!

One of my friends takes the fluff out of the tumble dryer's filter and
stuffs it into empty toilet roll tubes to make little fire-starting
'logs'. Works incredibly well.

Michael Kilpatrick[_2_] October 19th 12 02:22 PM

Power cuts.

On 19/10/2012 14:20, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:41:27 +0100, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
And don't forget the kindling as well! We've got loads of firewood, but
I was really struggling to light the fire last night as I had to
scrabble around the shed for something vaguely useful to start the thing
off. And I had no newspaper, and A4 printer paper isn't that good. Oops!

One of my friends takes the fluff out of the tumble dryer's filter and
stuffs it into empty toilet roll tubes to make little fire-starting
'logs'. Works incredibly well.

I bet he didn't learn that from Ray Mears. Never seen a tumble dryer on
the tundra...

Michael

Jules Richardson October 19th 12 03:40 PM

Power cuts.

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 14:22:44 +0100, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:

On 19/10/2012 14:20, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:41:27 +0100, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
And don't forget the kindling as well! We've got loads of firewood,
but I was really struggling to light the fire last night as I had to
scrabble around the shed for something vaguely useful to start the
thing off. And I had no newspaper, and A4 printer paper isn't that
good. Oops!

One of my friends takes the fluff out of the tumble dryer's filter and
stuffs it into empty toilet roll tubes to make little fire-starting
'logs'. Works incredibly well.

I bet he didn't learn that from Ray Mears. Never seen a tumble dryer on
the tundra...

Well that's obviously because they're nocturnal and experts at
camouflage...

I suppose it's a good way of making something out of what might be
readily available around the house (well, with a bit of planning,
anyway). Me, I just save all the small offcuts from the workshop in a
couple of 5 gallon buckets and use those. The lady who used to own our
house meanwhile seemed to source her kindling from a local sawmill -
there was a good stack of strips with two cut sides and bark on the
remainder in the basement when we moved in (the house had a monstrous
wood-burning furnace, although it's no longer in use)

cheers

Jules

harry October 19th 12 04:55 PM

Power cuts.

wrote:
On 19/10/2012 08:25, harry wrote:
Maybe it's time to make sure you have a few candles and some firewood/
coal in.

And don't forget the kindling as well! We've got loads of firewood,

if you were quick of the mark you could have got some more from across
the road for use next year.

G.Harman

I grow my own firewood.

John Rumm October 19th 12 07:18 PM

Power cuts.

On 19/10/2012 15:40, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 14:22:44 +0100, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:

On 19/10/2012 14:20, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:41:27 +0100, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
And don't forget the kindling as well! We've got loads of firewood,
but I was really struggling to light the fire last night as I had to
scrabble around the shed for something vaguely useful to start the
thing off. And I had no newspaper, and A4 printer paper isn't that
good. Oops!

One of my friends takes the fluff out of the tumble dryer's filter and
stuffs it into empty toilet roll tubes to make little fire-starting
'logs'. Works incredibly well.

I bet he didn't learn that from Ray Mears. Never seen a tumble dryer on
the tundra...

Well that's obviously because they're nocturnal and experts at
camouflage...

Yup, most men can walk past one in their own kitchen and never notice it
for decades ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

alan October 19th 12 08:20 PM

Power cuts.

On 19/10/2012 14:22, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:

I bet he didn't learn that from Ray Mears. Never seen a tumble dryer on
the tundra...

Don't bet on it. The production and camera crew only travel in luxury
motor homes :)