DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wooden Toy, Container Ship (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/347588-re-wooden-toy-container-ship.html)

harry October 11th 12 08:23 AM

Wooden Toy, Container Ship

On Oct 10, 8:29*pm, johno wrote:
OK, I have been requested to make a wooden container ship for the eldest rug rat, nothing fancy, he is only 5. Google has not been helpful in my search for plans/ideas/inspiration. Anyone made anything similar or know of a website that may help.
Thanks

If you don't want too much expense use papier mache.
Make out of cardbord taped together. Cover with strips of paper dipped
in PVA glue.
You can make it as strong as you like by putting on as many layers as
you like. Let first layer dry before building it up to finished
thickness..
Paint as suits you. If you use oil based paint, it will float,
probably need ballast.

Large hulls need "bulkheads" to stiffen the structure up. Hull & deck
need to be made separately for inside access & then joined up.

Result is cheap ,light and strong so you can make it big and
impressive.

Containers- wood blocks. Or made the same way as the hull.