Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Silicone release agent?

At work, they've been draught-proofing the old windows. It seem that this has involved squirting a big
bead of silicone along each mating surface, then closing the window until it goes off. Good (if
temporary-feeling) idea for some locations as it moulds to the right shape. Once cured, the silicone stays
on the one face.

They didn't do my area, so no chance to find out how it was done, but they must have used some release
agent on the 'uncoated' face for this to work.

Any idea what they might have used as a release agent?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 05:07:21 -0700 (PDT), GMM wrote:

It seem that this has involved squirting a big bead of silicone along
each mating surface, then closing the window until it goes off.

Any idea what they might have used as a release agent?

I've heard that cling film is good but not tried it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2012 13:07, GMM wrote:
At work, they've been draught-proofing the old windows. It seem that this has involved squirting a big
bead of silicone along each mating surface, then closing the window until it goes off. Good (if
temporary-feeling) idea for some locations as it moulds to the right shape. Once cured, the silicone stays
on the one face.

They didn't do my area, so no chance to find out how it was done, but they must have used some release
agent on the 'uncoated' face for this to work.

Any idea what they might have used as a release agent?

When I saw something like this done, they put tape down one surface
(e.g. insulating tape), squirted silicone down the other face, and
closed for a few hours. Opened the windows, removed the tape.

The windows were metal casements, and I think they put tape on the frame
itself and silicone onto the opening window. It did not work very well
simply because the frames were dirty and paint somewhat flaking before
they started - and that was not properly addressed.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2012 13:07, GMM wrote:
At work, they've been draught-proofing the old windows. It seem that this has involved squirting a big
bead of silicone along each mating surface, then closing the window until it goes off. Good (if
temporary-feeling) idea for some locations as it moulds to the right shape. Once cured, the silicone stays
on the one face.

They didn't do my area, so no chance to find out how it was done, but they must have used some release
agent on the 'uncoated' face for this to work.

Any idea what they might have used as a release agent?

Sounds daft, but silicone is used as a mould release agent.

I can never work out how come silicone sealant is so sticky when
silicone spray is so slippery?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 13:24:41 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 05:07:21 -0700 (PDT), GMM wrote:

It seem that this has involved squirting a big bead of silicone along
each mating surface, then closing the window until it goes off.

Any idea what they might have used as a release agent?

I've heard that cling film is good but not tried it.

Works a treat. My father refused to buy new windows, saying, "They
will outlast me" Turned out he was right on that score. I had to stay
in his house for nearly a year and got ****ed off with watching the
curtains billow out at 90deg and freezing to death.

Waited for a reasonably mild day and started early morning. Wrapped
the edges of the opening windows with cling film, put a bead of
silicone around the frames, closed the windows to almost shut and left
them like that for the rest of the day. When the silicone was about
set, off with the cling film and they worked a treat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Monday, October 1, 2012 3:28:40 PM UTC+1, stuart noble wrote:
On 01/10/2012 14:25, Baz wrote:

"GMM" wrote in message

At work, they've been draught-proofing the old windows. It seem that this

has involved squirting a big

bead of silicone along each mating surface, then closing the window until

it goes off. Good (if

temporary-feeling) idea for some locations as it moulds to the right

shape. Once cured, the silicone stays

on the one face.

They didn't do my area, so no chance to find out how it was done, but they

must have used some release

agent on the 'uncoated' face for this to work.

Any idea what they might have used as a release agent?

Washing Up Liquid.

Yes, or vaseline

This sounds like a cue for an experiment(!) Sure I have an open tube of silicone in the garage (I normally do) so I'll see who well either works ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Monday, October 1, 2012 6:00:02 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 01/10/2012 13:07, GMM wrote:

At work, they've been draught-proofing the old windows. It seem that this has involved squirting a big

bead of silicone along each mating surface, then closing the window until it goes off. Good (if

temporary-feeling) idea for some locations as it moulds to the right shape. Once cured, the silicone stays

on the one face.

They didn't do my area, so no chance to find out how it was done, but they must have used some release

agent on the 'uncoated' face for this to work.

Any idea what they might have used as a release agent?

Sounds daft, but silicone is used as a mould release agent.

I can never work out how come silicone sealant is so sticky when

silicone spray is so slippery?

Very true Dave: The spray must be mostly slippery at first because it's in a solvent: Maybe they used the spray (or just the solvent) as the release agent..A third arm to the experiment there .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

wrote:

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 05:07:21 -0700 (PDT), GMM wrote:

It seem that this has involved squirting a big bead of silicone along

each mating surface, then closing the window until it goes off.

Any idea what they might have used as a release agent?

I've heard that cling film is good but not tried it.

Works a treat. My father refused to buy new windows, saying, "They

will outlast me" Turned out he was right on that score. I had to stay

in his house for nearly a year and got ****ed off with watching the

curtains billow out at 90deg and freezing to death.

Waited for a reasonably mild day and started early morning. Wrapped

the edges of the opening windows with cling film, put a bead of

silicone around the frames, closed the windows to almost shut and left

them like that for the rest of the day. When the silicone was about

set, off with the cling film and they worked a treat.

I've found cling film pretty useful when using wood filler on an edge too: Cover a piece of timber/board/whatever in cling film, clamp to an edge, stuff the filler into the gap, then peel off, leaving a straight finish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
At work, they've been draught-proofing the old windows. It seem that this has involved squirting a big
bead of silicone along each mating surface, then closing the window until it goes off. Good (if
temporary-feeling) idea for some locations as it moulds to the right shape. Once cured, the silicone stays
on the one face.

They didn't do my area, so no chance to find out how it was done, but they must have used some release
agent on the 'uncoated' face for this to work.

Any idea what they might have used as a release agent?

Oddly enough, 'silicone spray lubricant'..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 05:07:21 -0700 (PDT), GMM wrote:

It seem that this has involved squirting a big bead of silicone along
each mating surface, then closing the window until it goes off.

Any idea what they might have used as a release agent?

I've heard that cling film is good but not tried it.

Works a treat. My father refused to buy new windows, saying, "They
will outlast me" Turned out he was right on that score. I had to stay
in his house for nearly a year and got ****ed off with watching the
curtains billow out at 90deg and freezing to death.

Waited for a reasonably mild day and started early morning. Wrapped
the edges of the opening windows with cling film, put a bead of
silicone around the frames, closed the windows to almost shut and left
them like that for the rest of the day. When the silicone was about
set, off with the cling film and they worked a treat.

That is well worth knowing.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 01/10/2012 13:07, GMM wrote:
At work, they've been draught-proofing the old windows. It seem that
this has involved squirting a big
bead of silicone along each mating surface, then closing the window
until it goes off. Good (if
temporary-feeling) idea for some locations as it moulds to the right
shape. Once cured, the silicone stays
on the one face.

They didn't do my area, so no chance to find out how it was done, but
they must have used some release
agent on the 'uncoated' face for this to work.

Any idea what they might have used as a release agent?

Sounds daft, but silicone is used as a mould release agent.

I can never work out how come silicone sealant is so sticky when
silicone spray is so slippery?

silicone is a term used for may different things

All it really means is 'an organic compound containing silicon atoms'

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 01/10/2012 13:07, GMM wrote:
At work, they've been draught-proofing the old windows. It seem that
this has involved squirting a big
bead of silicone along each mating surface, then closing the window
until it goes off. Good (if
temporary-feeling) idea for some locations as it moulds to the right
shape. Once cured, the silicone stays
on the one face.

They didn't do my area, so no chance to find out how it was done, but
they must have used some release
agent on the 'uncoated' face for this to work.

Any idea what they might have used as a release agent?

Sounds daft, but silicone is used as a mould release agent.

I can never work out how come silicone sealant is so sticky when
silicone spray is so slippery?

silicone is a term used for may different things

All it really means is 'an organic compound containing silicon atoms'

Is that "organic" as in "no chemicals have been used in growing this" ?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 01/10/2012 13:07, GMM wrote:
[...]

:-)
No. that's 'organic as in also containing carbon atoms and hydrogen ones'

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 01/10/2012 13:07, GMM wrote:
[...]

you mean the proper scientific definition.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 23:35:35 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Any idea what they might have used as a release agent?

Oddly enough, 'silicone spray lubricant'..

Think I'd much rather use a excess of physical barrier (aka cling film)
rather than spray stuff that might be a bit patchy. It wouldn't take much
not to release to have the window siliconed shut and working out where
that was to slice it through with a blade could be a right begger...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 9:43:03 AM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 23:35:35 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Any idea what they might have used as a release agent?

Oddly enough, 'silicone spray lubricant'..

Think I'd much rather use a excess of physical barrier (aka cling film)

rather than spray stuff that might be a bit patchy. It wouldn't take much

not to release to have the window siliconed shut and working out where

that was to slice it through with a blade could be a right begger...

--

Cheers

Dave.

I think I'm with you Dave, although there's always a case for empirical evaluation(!) so I'll try to have a
go at some of the suggestions here and see what works best. Clearly it would be a lot simpler to just
seal things shut, but that might not be too useful for a door, for example (!)

In principle, it could be a useful way to draught proof an irregular gap that's not suitable for a weather
strip, though I suspect it would need a bit of ongoing maintenance. I was thinking mostly about
temporary measures in some draughty places (I have plenty) pending doing a proper job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds daft, but silicone is used as a mould release agent.

I can never work out how come silicone sealant is so sticky when
silicone spray is so slippery?

It's all down to chemistry. The air cure stuff as used in sealant
cartridges and which smells of vinegar sticks to almost everything when
it sets. The two-pack stuff (RTV, short for room temperature
vulcanisation) doesn't stick to anything, hence is used for things like
dental moulding. Silicone oils are not particularly good lubricants for
metals (compared to mineral oils) but are very good on most plastics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 2, 10:42*am, GMM wrote:
[...]

Scrape both mating surfaces.
There is a primer for the side that is to get the silicon but I am not
sure it is needed. (pretty sure it is expensive though.)
Apply non stick washing up liquid grease or whatever.
Run bead of clear silicon down rebate.
Close window.
If you have a choice of closures use the sightly open notch on the
lever.
Next day give the casement a judicial going over.
If it is too fast, inset thin blade along joint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2012 13:07, GMM wrote:
At work, they've been draught-proofing the old windows. It seem that this has involved squirting a big
bead of silicone along each mating surface, then closing the window until it goes off. Good (if
temporary-feeling) idea for some locations as it moulds to the right shape. Once cured, the silicone stays
on the one face.

They didn't do my area, so no chance to find out how it was done, but they must have used some release
agent on the 'uncoated' face for this to work.

Any idea what they might have used as a release agent?

I'd just add that most paint does not like 'silicone', so I'd be wary of
using this is you ever want to re-paint the windows.
You can get other sealants that are over-paintable. (e.g.
http://www.marinemastics.com/marine-flex.html but beware they are better
glues!)

Phil.