Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rant: Banks that only let you see the last few transactions online

Rant warning

Just logged onto my low usage Barclays account and I'm greeted by an
empty statement saying "there are no transactions for the period you
selected". WTF.. I haven't selected any period ... oh, it says "in the
last 30 days", true I haven't used them for over 30 days but I want to
update by spreadsheet from April. There is no way to view a statement of
any kind, all that's on offer is 'export' but all attempts to coax that
with various date ranges give the same error "there are no transactions
in that period". I have to resort to phoning their helpline where
(eventually) I'm told "only 60 items or 6 weeks [whichever is less] are
available online [so any of my stuff from April has timed out!]. They
say if I change from paper statements to online statements I can read
them online, yeah right, as if I'd trust them not to suddenly curtail
that and/or make then non-cut'n'pasteable pdf's. Fortunately I do have
the data as paper statements but that's not the point of online banking
is it. I think I would agree to having online statements if they would
email them to me, that way I am sure to get them rather than having to
remember to fetch then every month.. oh its not even every month now,
they don't generate them if there are no transactions!

On the other hand Bank of Scotland allows exporting from 1st Feb. 2005
(although it used to be 2002 and they seem to have arbitrarily changed
it) with limitations of max of 150 entries and 3 months timespan at a
time, but you can make multiple downloads to get anything and everything
from 1/2/2005.

Lloyds have exactly the same rules but go back to 1st July 2002.

So which banks do give decent access to your past transactions, and what
is the idea behind Barclays making it such a pain? And which are the
badies - name and shame them!!

/Rant

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 23:10:25 +0100, Phil Addison wrote:

So which banks do give decent access to your past transactions, and what
is the idea behind Barclays making it such a pain? And which are the
badies - name and shame them!!

NatWest appear to let me go back to 2005.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil Addison wrote:

[...]

I don't know how far back HSBC will let you go, but I have never had
a problem going back into the previous month, certainly more than 30
days. I'll check next time I'm online to them.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil Addison
writes
Rant warning

Just logged onto my low usage Barclays account and I'm greeted by an
empty statement saying "there are no transactions for the period you
selected". WTF.. I haven't selected any period ... oh, it says "in the
last 30 days", true I haven't used them for over 30 days but I want to
update by spreadsheet from April.

There is a facility to view old transactions online, but you have to
sign up for it, you can't do it retrospectively AFAIK

Somewhere near the free kaspersky AV offer

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 23:31:18 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Phil Addison
writes
Rant warning

Just logged onto my low usage Barclays account and I'm greeted by an
empty statement saying "there are no transactions for the period you
selected". WTF.. I haven't selected any period ... oh, it says "in the
last 30 days", true I haven't used them for over 30 days but I want to
update by spreadsheet from April.

There is a facility to view old transactions online, but you have to
sign up for it, you can't do it retrospectively AFAIK

Somewhere near the free kaspersky AV offer

Can't see any of that. Have you been on lately, they've redesigned the
site since I was last on?

The export facility seems to be screwed...
"Export my data: we'll download all the information we have about your
accounts – so we won't ask you for a date range. But please be aware
that it may take some time to download."
and invoking it produced
"You can type in dates for any period between 26/09/2012 and 26/09/2012
for this account."

******s! 'all my data' should go back over a decade!!

What with the hassle of their pin sentry, extortionate overseas atm
fees, and now this, I might have to ditch them.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2012 23:20, Davey wrote:
I don't know how far back HSBC will let you go, but I have never had
a problem going back into the previous month, certainly more than 30
days. I'll check next time I'm online to them.

HSBC let you selectively view back to the date of the last statement,
which can be up to three months, then view complete statements prior to
that.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message , Phil Addison
writes
Rant warning

Just logged onto my low usage Barclays account and I'm greeted by an
empty statement saying "there are no transactions for the period you
selected". WTF.. I haven't selected any period ... oh, it says "in the
last 30 days", true I haven't used them for over 30 days but I want to
update by spreadsheet from April.

There is a facility to view old transactions online, but you have to
sign up for it, you can't do it retrospectively AFAIK

Somewhere near the free kaspersky AV offer

Barclays used to let you go back several (at least six?) months, but now
it's only about six weeks. [The oldest transaction in my current account
is 15 August.] On the other hand, Halifax seem to let you go back 'for
ever'.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil Addison
writes
What with the hassle of their pin sentry, extortionate overseas atm
fees, and now this, I might have to ditch them.

Just another rant or warning.

I have a Smile (Co-op bank) account, which deals with a credit card and
current account. Both accounts appear to be directly with them, rather
than any third party. The cc is paid off automatically by them from the
current account on a monthly basis, which usually works pretty well.

But during a recent period, mentioned here in times past, where we had
to fund air fares to South Africa, the transfer was made by them during
a weekend. On the statements, the cash left the current account but
failed to appear in the CC account, leaving me apparently a few thousand
pounds down overall.

When I eventually got through on the phone, I was told that this was
because the cc department only updated its transactions each weekday
evening, whereas the current account was updated as it happened. So in
theory the money was "missing" for two days. I was told the statements
would be amended on the Monday night, with the dates of the transaction
altered to when the transfer was initiated.

I don't think this is satisfactory, and suspect it is of borderline
legality to alter statements after the fact. It certainly caused panic
here.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 00:27:20 +0100, Phil Addison
wrote:

---snip---

What with the hassle of their pin sentry, extortionate overseas atm
fees, and now this, I might have to ditch them.

I've swapped banks several times in recent times and I have concluded
they're all just as bad.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article , Ian
Jackson wrote:
[...]

Just checked; RBS go back to 2005
Nationwide to 2009 (might be when I opened a/c)
You have to click an 'archive' option for the older ones

John

--
John Mulrooney

I wonder if she buys make-up for both her faces?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'll add a rant about Barclays online banking. I don't need to pay things
very often via that - perhaps no more than about half a dozen times a year
- and usually to someone I've paid before.

But a couple of months ago wanted to pay someone else as it were. And it
informed me I needed a card reader. Great - but why didn't it send me one
before introducing this? Or inform me it would be needed? Got one - and
what a performance to pay a bill.

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2012 08:39, Ian Jackson wrote:

Halifax seem to let you go back 'for ever'.

OTOH ...

We're in the departure lounge about to go on holiday and remember we've
not notified Halifax we'll be using our Clarity card abroad.

Phone them up on the mobile, wade through the various automated prompts,
eventually get a human and start on the security questions. Final one is
"What did you spend most recently at Tesco?"

Not surprisingly we don't have printed statements to hand, so I log onto
the website with the smartphone, find the right account, scroll to the
bottom Tesco entry and read the amount. "No, that's not right" she says.

Huh? I happen to scroll sideways and see the date column, and (unlike
all our other online accouns) Halifax list the most recent transactions
from the top downwards. So I read out the top - ie most recent - Tesco
amount.

"Sorry", say Halifax, "Once you've given an incorrect answer to any
question you have to hang up and dial in again". She wouldn't budge.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

I'll add a rant about Barclays online banking. I don't need to pay
things very often via that - perhaps no more than about half a dozen
times a year - and usually to someone I've paid before.

But a couple of months ago wanted to pay someone else as it were. And
it informed me I needed a card reader. Great - but why didn't it send
me one before introducing this? Or inform me it would be needed? Got
one - and what a performance to pay a bill.

How can you be using Barclays online banking *without* a card reader?

Eh? Have done for many years without.

--
*Gravity is a myth, the earth sucks *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
How can you be using Barclays online banking *without* a card
reader?

Just use it to pay regular recurring bills or pay into accounts you've
paid into before. You only need the PIN sentry device to set up new
payees on the account.

Not so. With my Barclays account(s), I have to use the PIN sentry just
to 'get in'. My wife's account(s) don't have PIN sentry access
protection (just password etc).

Did you set it up before the card reader was in use? (may be a silly
question) ;-)

To get into my account without - and I still can do - I need the name,
membership number, password number and another password (memorable name or
whatever). I can set the browser to remember the first two, so only have
to enter the last two manually.

This worked perfectly well for years. Only when I came to try and set up
an additional payee did I need the pin sentry device.

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , John Williamson
writes
Tim Streater wrote:
How can you be using Barclays online banking *without* a card reader?

Just use it to pay regular recurring bills or pay into accounts you've
paid into before. You only need the PIN sentry device to set up new
payees on the account.

Not so. With my Barclays account(s), I have to use the PIN sentry just
to 'get in'. My wife's account(s) don't have PIN sentry access
protection (just password etc).

So, as I said, rules vary between accounts. It's a shame we can't live
without banks, really.

IME, they're all as bad as each other, just in diferent ways.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
The problem (As I see it) with the PIN sentry type devices is that if a
miscreant has the card and the PIN, they can easily log in as you, as
all the card readers issued by each bank use the same algorithm to
generate the secure login code, and they're not all that hard to get
hold of. Security level's about the same as using an ATM.

This is what worries me. My password number and memorable word are only
known to me (excepting the bank site, of course). And are rather more
involved than a pin to 'break'.

--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
How can you be using Barclays online banking *without* a card
reader?

Just use it to pay regular recurring bills or pay into accounts you've
paid into before. You only need the PIN sentry device to set up new
payees on the account.

Not so. With my Barclays account(s), I have to use the PIN sentry just
to 'get in'. My wife's account(s) don't have PIN sentry access
protection (just password etc).

Did you set it up before the card reader was in use? (may be a silly
question) ;-)

Yes. Both accounts were in existence before Barclays introduced their
PIN Sentry. I was the only one who was sent one. My wife is PIN
Sentry-less.

To get into my account without - and I still can do - I need the name,
membership number, password number and another password (memorable name or
whatever).

Indeed. The PIN Sentry does away with the memorable word.

I can set the browser to remember the first two, so only have
to enter the last two manually.

To be honest, I don't think I've actually tried to log into my account
without the PIN Sentry (not since I've had it).

This worked perfectly well for years. Only when I came to try and set up
an additional payee did I need the pin sentry device.

Yes, I need use the PIN Sentry 'sign' function to do certain
transactions. However, I recently did a transfer out of one of wife's
savings accounts into our joint current account, and no PIN Sentry was
asked for (which was just as well!).
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-09-27, John Williamson wrote:

all the card readers issued by each bank use the same algorithm to
generate the secure login code,

Do you have a reference to that?

Obviously, everyone using the same model of Xiring reader will be the
same. Is anyone not using a Xiring reader? And if not, are they really
functionally identical?

As the bank use what I have been told is a normal home unit in branch to
verify my PIN when I talk to the personal bankers, I would think they
are, though I've not seen documented proof, no. If they're not, though,
think of the Fun when Mrs. Bank Customer borrows Mr. Bank Customer's
reader by mistake...

I would expect HSBC to use a different system to Barclays, and to
NatWest, though.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
This is what worries me. My password number and memorable word are only
known to me (excepting the bank site, of course). And are rather more
involved than a pin to 'break'.

Except that you send them over the wire each time, albeit using a secure
protocol. A card reader provides a one-time password.

May do, but that could be hacked too.

--
*Geeks shall inherit the earth *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 27, 3:03*pm, John Williamson
wrote:

The problem (As I see it) with the PIN sentry type devices is that if a
miscreant has the card and the PIN, they can easily log in as you, as
all the card readers issued by each bank use the same algorithm to
generate the secure login code

Quite right too. I don't want to have to carry around a seperate
access device for every smartcard I have.

The sole purpose of PIN sentry card access devices is to faciliate two
factor authentication i.e. prove your authenticity through something
you have (the card) and something you know (the PIN). The device is
merely the mechanism by which these two aspects can be proven;
possession of the device does not factor into it.

Any cryptography that relies on keeping the algorithm secret isn't
really worthy of the name. It is the keys that must be protected.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-09-27, John Williamson wrote:

all the card readers issued by each bank use the same algorithm to
generate the secure login code,

Do you have a reference to that?

Obviously, everyone using the same model of Xiring reader will be the
same. Is anyone not using a Xiring reader? And if not, are they really
functionally identical?

As the bank use what I have been told is a normal home unit in branch to
verify my PIN when I talk to the personal bankers, I would think they
are, though I've not seen documented proof, no. If they're not, though,
think of the Fun when Mrs. Bank Customer borrows Mr. Bank Customer's
reader by mistake...

I would expect HSBC to use a different system to Barclays, and to
NatWest, though.

I have used a BNP Paribas (Belgium) card reader successfully to read
my Nationwide card and login to Nationwide. It also works the other
way around for *some* but not all transactions. The BNP Paribas card
reader simply has more options than the Nationwide one, I don't think
there are any different security algorithms in it.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 12:00:51 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:

What with the hassle of their pin sentry, extortionate overseas atm
fees, and now this, I might have to ditch them.

Could you explain what you mean by "hassle"? Do you mean having one at
all or the need to use it for some particular action?

I have several bank/building soc accounts and Barclays is the only one
that uses a card reader. By hassle I mean that to log-on I have to find
the reader, get the card out my wallet, press the 'identify' key, type
the pin into it, press enter, read the 8-diit key and retype into the
banks 2nd login page. All in addition to havnig filled out the 1st page
with 2 fields of info. I have to use it again to validate new payments
even for low amounts, and have to do it all over again when the 10
minute timeout catches me out. It realistically limits me to accessing
my account from home where I keep the reader, and its another thing to
remember to pack when travelling.

However, last night I read on their new site they have a mobile app that
can somehow be ued in lieu of the pin sentry, I'm not sure for what
though, I have to look at it again. In addition they allow read-only
access without pin sentry but I think you have to register for that
first. Plus another mobile app called 'pingit' that 'allows you to send
money to someone else. I tried it and it said 'sorry that person doesn't
have a barclays accout' duh!!

I feel the pin sentry security is OTT, annd now a bit worried from whats
been said here that it might actually be less secure if my card is
lost/stolen.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

See new thread for summary of data availability.

"Bank transaction history availability (was Rant: Banks that only let
you see the last few transactions online)"

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article ,
chris French wrote:
I have used a BNP Paribas (Belgium) card reader
successfully to read my Nationwide card and login to
Nationwide. It also works the other way around for
*some* but not all transactions. The BNP Paribas card
reader simply has more options than the Nationwide one,
I don't think there are any different security
algorithms in it.

As an experiment I tried to use my Nationwide reader with
my smile card on my smile accounht (or vice versa, can't
remember). It's didn't work - it would produce codes,but
they were rejected by the website.

When I'd left my reader in France I popped into the N/wide
brance to do a transfer and asked to use a reader to do it.
The assistant gave me a new one and said that "once a reader
has been used with a card, it can only be used by *that*
card. Might just have been bull though.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 18:44:41 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 12:00:51 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:

What with the hassle of their pin sentry, extortionate overseas atm
fees, and now this, I might have to ditch them.

Could you explain what you mean by "hassle"? Do you mean having one at
all or the need to use it for some particular action?

I have several bank/building soc accounts and Barclays is the only one
that uses a card reader. By hassle I mean that to log-on I have to find
the reader, get the card out my wallet, press the 'identify' key, type
the pin into it, press enter, read the 8-diit key and retype into the
banks 2nd login page. All in addition to havnig filled in the 1st page
with 2 fields of info.

Get your browser to remember that info.

I have to use it again to validate new payments
even for low amounts, and have to do it all over again when the 10
minute timeout catches me out. It realistically limits me to accessing
my account from home where I keep the reader, and its another thing to
remember to pack when travelling.

I don't log in to my account while travelling. But if I wanted to, the
PinSentry would avoid my having to remember loadsa stuff doing it the
other way.

I use "roboform everywhere" to encrypt and store 100's of logins so
only have to remember the single master password (which is a very long
phrase) and if I wanted can login from my phone this way. Its a
definite recommendation for a few quid a year. So I'm the opposite,
pin sentry means barclays is the one I can't log into, except as
read-only if I don't have it with me which is invariably the case.

However, last night I read on their new site they have a mobile app that
can somehow be ued in lieu of the pin sentry, I'm not sure for what
though, I have to look at it again. In addition they allow read-only
access without pin sentry but I think you have to register for that
first. Plus another mobile app called 'pingit' that 'allows you to send
money to someone else. I tried it and it said 'sorry that person doesn't
have a barclays accout' duh!!

I feel the pin sentry security is OTT, annd now a bit worried from whats
been said here that it might actually be less secure if my card is
lost/stolen.

ISTM to be more secure than selecting your birthday and then typing in
some subset of your password. The Yanks even think that having to enter
your social security number somehow "validates" you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 00:27:20 +0100, Phil Addison wrote:

The export facility seems to be screwed...
"Export my data: we'll download all the information we have about your
accounts so we won't ask you for a date range. But please be aware
that it may take some time to download."
and invoking it produced
"You can type in dates for any period between 26/09/2012 and 26/09/2012
for this account."

******s! 'all my data' should go back over a decade!!

Only a decade? That unambigious statement should furnish me with at
*least* 34 years worth of transactions. I can't actually remember when I
opened the account, I might be a couple of years short.

What with the hassle of their pin sentry, extortionate overseas atm
fees, and now this, I might have to ditch them.

And online banking that you can't use at all without javascript and with
javascript is slow clunky eye candy heap of poo. Also quite close to
ditching them.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 22:00:27 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 00:27:20 +0100, Phil Addison wrote:

The export facility seems to be screwed...
"Export my data: we'll download all the information we have about your
accounts so we won't ask you for a date range. But please be aware
that it may take some time to download."
and invoking it produced
"You can type in dates for any period between 26/09/2012 and 26/09/2012
for this account."

******s! 'all my data' should go back over a decade!!

Only a decade? That unambigious statement should furnish me with at
*least* 34 years worth of transactions. I can't actually remember when I
opened the account, I might be a couple of years short.

Bloody hell, Dave, they won't give you any credit for that, probably
the opposite

PS, look closely at the 2 dates I quoted

What with the hassle of their pin sentry, extortionate overseas atm
fees, and now this, I might have to ditch them.

And online banking that you can't use at all without javascript and with
javascript is slow clunky eye candy heap of poo. Also quite close to
ditching them.

Yes, the old site was actually pretty quite reasonable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 22:23:16 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 00:27:20 +0100, Phil Addison wrote:

The export facility seems to be screwed...
"Export my data: we'll download all the information we have about
your accounts so we won't ask you for a date range. But please be
aware that it may take some time to download."
and invoking it produced "You can type in dates for any period
between 26/09/2012 and 26/09/2012 for this account."

******s! 'all my data' should go back over a decade!!

Only a decade? That unambigious statement should furnish me with at
*least* 34 years worth of transactions. I can't actually remember when
I opened the account, I might be a couple of years short.

I still have my Trustee Savings Bank pass book. Apparently I still have
£1 6s 0d in it - last entry late 1966.

I ditches them when I opened my current current account in 1970 - pretty
well 42 years to the day, actually - end of September.

But I only get a measly 7 years 'all my data'!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 22:25:42 +0100, Olive Addison
wrote:

Bugger!! That'll teach me to use the wife's netbook on here :O

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ian Jackson
writes
[...]

I just download all my accounts weekly to microSoft Money

That's it

no problem

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Sep 2012 21:28:15 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

I still have my Trustee Savings Bank pass book. Apparently I still
have £1 6s 0d in it - last entry late 1966.

No who took over the Trustee Savings Bank? Lloyds? They still ought to
pay you the £1.30 plus interest...

But I only get a measly 7 years 'all my data'!

That doesn't really surprise me, you only *have* to keep records for that
long.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 18:44:41 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 12:00:51 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:

What with the hassle of their pin sentry, extortionate overseas atm
fees, and now this, I might have to ditch them.

Could you explain what you mean by "hassle"? Do you mean having one at
all or the need to use it for some particular action?

I have several bank/building soc accounts and Barclays is the only one
that uses a card reader. By hassle I mean that to log-on I have to find
the reader, get the card out my wallet, press the 'identify' key, type
the pin into it, press enter, read the 8-diit key and retype into the
banks 2nd login page. All in addition to havnig filled in the 1st page
with 2 fields of info.

Get your browser to remember that info.

Apart from the fact the 8 digit code is different each time, I would
worry that anyone - eg a thief - with access to my computer could log in
with the remembered info. I never, but never, let my browser save logon
onfo. See roboform comment. OK I didn't mention I use roboform for the
1st page.

I have to use it again to validate new payments
even for low amounts, and have to do it all over again when the 10
minute timeout catches me out. It realistically limits me to accessing
my account from home where I keep the reader, and its another thing to
remember to pack when travelling.

I don't log in to my account while travelling. But if I wanted to, the
PinSentry would avoid my having to remember loadsa stuff doing it the
other way.

The pin sentry just generates 8 digits for you to retype into the 2nd
logon page. You still have to goto the website, and type in your name
and 12 digit membership number on the 1st login page.

However, last night I read on their new site they have a mobile app that
can somehow be ued in lieu of the pin sentry, I'm not sure for what
though, I have to look at it again. In addition they allow read-only
access without pin sentry but I think you have to register for that
first. Plus another mobile app called 'pingit' that 'allows you to send
money to someone else. I tried it and it said 'sorry that person doesn't
have a barclays accout' duh!!

I feel the pin sentry security is OTT, annd now a bit worried from whats
been said here that it might actually be less secure if my card is
lost/stolen.

ISTM to be more secure than selecting your birthday and then typing in
some subset of your password. The Yanks even think that having to enter
your social security number somehow "validates" you.

What happens if you get mugged and at knifepoint are forced to divulge
your pin? You might 'just' have a few hundred taken via an atm, or as
others hinted, the mugger might be savvy enough to know that he can
empty your online account before you report it - he will have taken your
phone as well. The bank 'might' reimburse you.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 23:47:43 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On 27 Sep 2012 21:28:15 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

I still have my Trustee Savings Bank pass book. Apparently I still
have £1 6s 0d in it - last entry late 1966.

No who took over the Trustee Savings Bank? Lloyds? They still ought to
pay you the £1.30 plus interest...

But I only get a measly 7 years 'all my data'!

That doesn't really surprise me, you only *have* to keep records for that
long.

Somewhere I think I still have a Post Office Savings Bank account with
something like 1/6d deposited.
There must be a bit of interest accumulated since then, especially
during the 80s...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 27 Sep 2012 21:28:15 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

I still have my Trustee Savings Bank pass book. Apparently I still
have £1 6s 0d in it - last entry late 1966.

No who took over the Trustee Savings Bank? Lloyds? They still ought to
pay you the £1.30 plus interest...

But I only get a measly 7 years 'all my data'!

That doesn't really surprise me, you only *have* to keep records for that
long.

Somewhere I think I still have a Post Office Savings Bank account with
something like 1/6d deposited.
There must be a bit of interest accumulated since then, especially
during the 80s...

Somewhere I have my 1960s cheque book from the National Commercial Bank,
which no longer exists - I believe it's part of RBS now. There would
have been a few pounds still in that account, but RBS claims to have no
record of it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'll add a rant about Barclays online banking. I don't need to pay things
very often via that - perhaps no more than about half a dozen times a year
- and usually to someone I've paid before.

But a couple of months ago wanted to pay someone else as it were. And it
informed me I needed a card reader. Great - but why didn't it send me one
before introducing this? Or inform me it would be needed? Got one - and
what a performance to pay a bill.

With RBS and the Co-op I only have to use the card reader for new
payments. Once set up the card reader is not required for subsequent
payments to the same recipient.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2012 15:02, John Williamson wrote:

In my case, none of these are written down anywhere,
except the username and card details.

At work my list of username/passwords fits on two A4 sheets
of paper.

At home the lists fits on to 5 A4 sheets of paper. While I will admit to
some similarity in user/passwords I cannot remember if I've put $$123 or
$$456 or $$abc at the end or beginning of each of the passwords.

And then there are the systems that will only accept passwords that
include a random set of "characters" that need to be changed on a
regular basis. Does any organisation think these types of passwords are
more secure when they will be written down by EVERYONE that has to use
them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 00:08:30 +0100, Phil Addison
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 18:44:41 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 12:00:51 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:

[...]

Me neither. If the browser has saved it then malware or someone else
could easily read it.

-- snip--

[...]

I guess this is lower risk. And criminals generally go for the low
hanging fruit so I think you're safe until all banks have good web
security[1]

IME the most common security breach is where they somehow incercept
card details in transit and then use them until the card is stopped.

[1] Which will never happen.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 22:00:27 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

--snip--

And online banking that you can't use at all without javascript and with
javascript is slow clunky eye candy heap of poo. Also quite close to
ditching them.

The Santander web site mostly works without javascript except for
logging out! I did inform them about this but they are willfully
ignorant and won't change it.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 22:55:57 +0100, geoff wrote:

[...]

MS money stopped working for me years ago. The last UK version was,
IIRC, about 2004???

--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?