Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Two speed switch for bathroom fan

Life is complicated :-)

My plan is to have a bathroom fan with a humidistat, a run on timer, and an
override switch.
I can source the parts to do this.

However when looking at fans I can see that the ones which come up as
suitable for my size room are mainly two speed fans.
O.K. find a two speed fan switch to add to the list.
However I can't seem to locate an IP44 switch which can switch a fan between
the two speeds.

I did find
http://www.buyheliosonline.co.uk/spe...s-22-389-p.asp
but this has a 0,1,2 switch state and I don't really want a switch in the
circuit which can disable the fan if switched to the wrong setting.

Anyone have any idea of a suitable switch to use?
I just want to switch between low and high speeed, but don't want the switch
in the loft or under the ceiling downstairs where it isn't easily
accessible.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, September 10, 2012 11:14:52 AM UTC+1, David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

any switch you like plus a capacitor
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Dropper

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:14:31 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

[...]

Just a thought - are you sure that you will need both speeds? When
faced with this conundrum I decided to try my Soler & Palau fan out at
both speeds - just changing the connection between the high and low
speed fan terminals. I soon realised that the fan was so very quiet I
could happily run it at the higher speed without the need to use the
low speed at all. In your case (from memory you are using the higher
capacity TD250) you may find that you only need to use the low speed
connection.
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Any change you can fix whatever double-spaces all the lines in
your followups?

I've been considering blacklisting google groups, with a whitelist of
valued posters, some GG users seem to suffer from double line spacing,
others seem to suffer from extremely long lines which don't wrap
properly on quoting, others seem send perfectly good messages.

I'm wondering do some people take the time to tidy-up their messsages
before posting via GG, or is this the difference between old and new GG?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2012 11:14, David WE Roberts wrote:
Life is complicated :-)

My plan is to have a bathroom fan with a humidistat, a run on timer, and
an override switch.
I can source the parts to do this.

However when looking at fans I can see that the ones which come up as
suitable for my size room are mainly two speed fans.
O.K. find a two speed fan switch to add to the list.
However I can't seem to locate an IP44 switch which can switch a fan
between the two speeds.

I did find
http://www.buyheliosonline.co.uk/spe...s-22-389-p.asp
but this has a 0,1,2 switch state and I don't really want a switch in
the circuit which can disable the fan if switched to the wrong setting.

That switch is for a three-phase fan. I'm guessing yours is single phase.

Anyone have any idea of a suitable switch to use?
I just want to switch between low and high speeed, but don't want the
switch in the loft or under the ceiling downstairs where it isn't easily
accessible.

Assuming the fan just has two alternative live terminals, you'll just
need a changeover switch e.g. a two-way light switch. then the challenge
is finding one in the right environmental rating that doesn't ming too
much...

Cheers,

Colin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Any change you can fix whatever double-spaces all the lines in
your followups?

I've been considering blacklisting google groups, with a whitelist of
valued posters, some GG users seem to suffer from double line spacing,
others seem to suffer from extremely long lines which don't wrap
properly on quoting, others seem send perfectly good messages.

That can be the difference between people using different browsers on
different platforms.

Macs often dont play nice with some backend code.

I'm wondering do some people take the time to tidy-up their messsages
before posting via GG, or is this the difference between old and new GG?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Stamp" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I was wondering about that - just a ceiling pull switch with two way
switching could do.
The only problem might be that I'm going to have too many pull switches:
Light
Fan override
Fan high/low.
......it's like a jungle in there ;-)

Also, as rbel says the fans may be very quiet.
In which case how do you tell when the fan is on high speed?
Neon indicator?

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes - just seems wrong to buy a two speed fan then hard wire it to one
speed.
I will probably have different setups upstairs and down, as upstairs is a
very short run, but downstairs is several metres - from the centre of the
house - and may have to go into plastic tubing (100mm soil pipe or
equivalent) to avoid loss of efficiency.

Which raises another question - how far along the run do you place the fan?
Is it better at pushing or pulling, or should you place it in the middle of
the ducting run so it is equal distances from inlet and vent?

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy
Burns writes
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Any change you can fix whatever double-spaces all the lines in
your followups?

I've been considering blacklisting google groups, with a whitelist of
valued posters, some GG users seem to suffer from double line spacing,
others seem to suffer from extremely long lines which don't wrap
properly on quoting, others seem send perfectly good messages.

That's certainly working for me, I have a soft kill on all GG posts and
have to specifically request ones from valued posters. There's so little
of value coming from that source that it is only a slight inconvenience.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, September 10, 2012 12:59:43 PM UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,

meow2222 writes:

On Monday, September 10, 2012 11:14:52 AM UTC+1, David WE Roberts wrote:

Life is complicated :-)

My plan is to have a bathroom fan with a humidistat, a run on timer, and an

override switch.

I can source the parts to do this.

Any change you can fix whatever double-spaces all the lines in

your followups?

I'd love to fix a lot of things with google groups, and some of the idiotically designed products I've had over the years. Maybe start by firing either the people that designed them or the manager that said no, you cant put any more time into making it work sensibly. But, IRL there are other fish to fry first.

Every time google messes with its usenet interface, it just gets worse. I suspect they use it as an exercise for their newbie programmers.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:43:58 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

Which raises another question - how far along the run do you place the fan?
Is it better at pushing or pulling, or should you place it in the middle of
the ducting run so it is equal distances from inlet and vent?

Cheers

The diagrams I have seen on the Vent-Axia and Xpelair sites show the
fan being placed approximately midway along the ducting.
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:39:07 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

Also, as rbel says the fans may be very quiet.
In which case how do you tell when the fan is on high speed?
Neon indicator?

Whilst the difference in the fan mechanical noise for my TD160 unit is
not discernable in the bathroom there is an increase in the air
movement noise through the shower vent grille.
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Also, as rbel says the fans may be very quiet.
In which case how do you tell when the fan is on high speed?
Neon indicator?

Whilst the difference in the fan mechanical noise for my TD160 unit is
not discernable in the bathroom there is an increase in the air
movement noise through the shower vent grille.
--
rbel

Thanks - useful info.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2012 13:09, Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Any change you can fix whatever double-spaces all the lines in
your followups?

I've been considering blacklisting google groups, with a whitelist of
valued posters, some GG users seem to suffer from double line spacing,
others seem to suffer from extremely long lines which don't wrap
properly on quoting, others seem send perfectly good messages.

CTRL+R in thunderbird when editing the reply will reformat all the long
lines for you.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2012 14:39, David WE Roberts wrote:

Yes, I was wondering about that - just a ceiling pull switch with two
way switching could do.
The only problem might be that I'm going to have too many pull switches:
Light
Fan override
Fan high/low.
.....it's like a jungle in there ;-)

I can see the notice now:

Pull once for light and no fan
twice for light and slow fan,
three times for light and fast fan
four times for no light and slow fan
five times for no light and fast fan

Also, as rbel says the fans may be very quiet.
In which case how do you tell when the fan is on high speed?
Neon indicator?

If your hair points upwards in the shower, then its on fast ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/09/2012 14:39, David WE Roberts wrote:

Yes, I was wondering about that - just a ceiling pull switch with two
way switching could do.
The only problem might be that I'm going to have too many pull switches:
Light
Fan override
Fan high/low.
.....it's like a jungle in there ;-)

I can see the notice now:

Pull once for light and no fan
twice for light and slow fan,
three times for light and fast fan
four times for no light and slow fan
five times for no light and fast fan

Also, as rbel says the fans may be very quiet.
In which case how do you tell when the fan is on high speed?
Neon indicator?

If your hair points upwards in the shower, then its on fast ;-)

Flattered that you think I have enough hair to use as a reliable indicator
:-)

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2012 08:33, David WE Roberts wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I did not say it was on your head ;-)

--