Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default VM modem reset ? (bit OT)

Anyone else get a Virgin Media modem reset last night ? Today, my entire
network was down, although the computer in here that's hardwired to the
modem, still had normal 'net access. When I came to try to reconnect any of
the network devices, 'my' wireless modem was nowhere to be seen in the list,
although there were two called "Virgin Media" followed by a long number,
that I had never seen in the list before. I called my mate who works for
them, and he suggested that I browsed to the modem and went into its wifi
configuration settings to see what had happened. When I did this, it turned
out that one of the two that I had seen in the list, was the SSID of my
modem. The WAP password was some string of alpha-numeric nonsense, that
presumably was a factory default.

So I had to rename it back to what it was, and reset the password key to
what it was. All of my network devices were then able to reconnect, and
everything was fine. I might have thought that perhaps some random event had
reset my modem alone, but the fact that there was another in the list also
called "Virgin Media" with a similar - but different - string of numbers to
mine, would indicate that a nearby neighbour had also suffered a similar
reset.

My mate said that maybe they had done some sort of overnight upgrade to
their network that had resulted in modems being reset back to their factory
defaults, but he hadn't heard of anything. I've been with VM right back to
the days of NTL before they even took it over, and I have never had anything
like this happen before. I wasn't even aware that there was any route from
the outside where they could get at stuff like user-set SSIDs and passwords.

Anyone else on VM have anything like this happen last night, or had it
happen before ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well funny you should say this as over the weekend the filehippo.com upate
checker refused to work, People on non virgin networks could get it to work.
On Monday sometime my connection was odd so I pulled the plug on modem and
router and restarted and the filehippo problem was gone and the connection
OK again. Quite what the reasons or which thing caused what is not clear,
but the fact is something odd has been going on with Virgin networks and it
seems random issues have been the outcome.

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 01:51:14 +0100, Arfa Daily
wrote:

[...]

No need to reboot here. At least I don't thin...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote:
[...]

Not here. Just on my iPad which has connected to the usual wifi network :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Arfa Daily
scribeth thus
[...]

You've been hacked, as Dennis has been out and about;!!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2012 01:51, Arfa Daily wrote:
Anyone else get a Virgin Media modem reset last night

Not last night, but a few weeks ago.

VM recently released a firmware upgrade for its SuperHub modem/router;
which in its wisdom was enforced upon its users without even telling
them it was happening (never mind leaving it to them to do at a
convenient time). One morning I found my whole network was totally
****ed - I had no idea what was going on; none of our wifi devices
worked and several hard-wired kit was unavailable.

Googling from a working computer told me that the 'upgrade' had
happened, and subsequent hunting around I found out that the new
firmware places new restrictions on what IP addresses you can use. For
historical reasons which I can no longer remember, I was operating
mostly on the subnet 192.168.1.*. However, for reasons best known to
itself, in addition to changing the firmware unannounced, VM have now
blocked users from changing the subnet; you have to use 192.168.0.*.

Once I'd sussed what was wrong - which took me long enough - I then had
to work out how to alter the fixed IP addresses on my devices; all
happening on a morning when I was frantically busy with (my freelance)
work; cost me a load of time and I suspect the delay may well have cost
me a client. Unbe-****ing-lievable.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 09:08:20 +0100, Lobster wrote:

Once I'd sussed what was wrong - which took me long enough - I then had
to work out how to alter the fixed IP addresses on my devices; all
happening on a morning when I was frantically busy with (my freelance)
work; cost me a load of time and I suspect the delay may well have cost
me a client. Unbe-****ing-lievable.

Makes me wonder why people have business critical services provided at
"best endeavors" residential service levels.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 09:08:20 +0100, Lobster wrote:

Once I'd sussed what was wrong - which took me long enough - I then had
to work out how to alter the fixed IP addresses on my devices; all
happening on a morning when I was frantically busy with (my freelance)
work; cost me a load of time and I suspect the delay may well have cost
me a client. Unbe-****ing-lievable.

Makes me wonder why people have business critical services provided at
"best endeavors" residential service levels.

and why anyone would employ someone who didn't realise that any network
change, software upgrade etc etc generally means an all nighter followed
by several periods of buggering about in a technically literate way
before some semblance of normality results.

I am dreading upgrading my OS...

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2012 12:47, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 09:08:20 +0100, Lobster wrote:

Once I'd sussed what was wrong - which took me long enough - I then had
to work out how to alter the fixed IP addresses on my devices; all
happening on a morning when I was frantically busy with (my freelance)
work; cost me a load of time and I suspect the delay may well have cost
me a client. Unbe-****ing-lievable.

Makes me wonder why people have business critical services provided at
"best endeavors" residential service levels.

Fair comment. But normally internet is not business-critical for my
work, and the Virginmedia offering has been perfectly OK for my needs
over 10+ years and I have never felt the need to go for a different
'business' service.

However, I will concede that I was totally caught out by VM's ability
and willingness to suddenly access and reconfigure my home network, for
example taking out my networked printer etc; ie it was a big mistake to
use their router - something which never occurred to me as being an issue.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
On 2012-09-04, Lobster wrote:
[...]

Perhaps consider what I do; the only thing that talks to the ISP's router
is my Smoothwall. My network hides behind that, and it deals with DHCP,
DNS, proxying, NAT, banner ad filtering and likely half-a-dozen things
I've forgotten.

Yes, it means I do double-NAT, which offends some, but it all works just
fine.

I do all of that without a double NAT at all. The ONLY thing MY router
does is act as an ADSL modem and firewall It does DHCP yes, but its set
up the way I tell it to.

DNS, DHCP and firewall and NAT and passthru are all under my control.

All I ask of the ISP is that it assigns me a static IP address and
unlimited access to the internet. They are almost able to do that.
Everything else I do myself or through third party companies whose
business depends on what they do, and whose services I have full
configuration access to.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

YMYA.

¿Que?

--
Manuel
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-09-04, Robin wrote:
YMYA.

¿Que?

"You're Me, You Are".

You're Muppet you are

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-09-04, Lobster wrote:

However, I will concede that I was totally caught out by VM's ability
and willingness to suddenly access and reconfigure my home network, for
example taking out my networked printer etc; ie it was a big mistake to
use their router - something which never occurred to me as being an issue.

Perhaps consider what I do; the only thing that talks to the ISP's router
is my Smoothwall. My network hides behind that, and it deals with DHCP,
DNS, proxying, NAT, banner ad filtering and likely half-a-dozen things
I've forgotten.

Yes, it means I do double-NAT, which offends some, but it all works just
fine.

As the OP was using the Virginmedia superhub, they could buy a decent router
(or build one, or whatever) and switch the superhub into modem mode.

http://goo.gl/7xTDL

You just get one IP then (not static, but very rare it changes even with
power cycles IME).

Avoids the need to double NAT, and avoids most of the bugs in the superhub
(it's getting better but...).

Also, Virginmedia (and before them NTL, and before them C&W here) have always
put some limits on the ips you can use internally. Wierd stuff happens if
you use 192.168.100.1 for example (the modem steals that normally).

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

When connecting my laptop last night I noticed several local WiFi
networks with SSIDs "VMlong apparently random number".

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 01:51:14 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

there were two called "Virgin Media" followed by a long number,
that I had never seen in the list before.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 14:30:24 +0000, D.M.Chapman wrote:

Also, Virginmedia (and before them NTL, and before them C&W here) have
always put some limits on the ips you can use internally. Wierd stuff
happens if you use 192.168.100.1 for example (the modem steals that
normally).

When VM upgraded me end of last year, they sent the cheaper router/modem,
which refused to allow me to allocate 192.168.1.x addresses, which is how
my network was set up. It had a DMZ setting, but that had a fixed IP
which didn't suit me. In the end I returned it, and for some reason got a
superhub, which I immediately put into modem-only mode, and haven't heard
a squeak since.

I had quite a testy exchange with the VM droid, who tried to say I
shouldn't be using 192.168.1.x as it was "special".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

there were two called "Virgin Media" followed by a long number,
that I had never seen in the list before.

When connecting my laptop last night I noticed several local WiFi
networks with SSIDs "VMlong apparently random number".

Yep. Definitely looks as though they were doing something then. You'd think
that if nothing else, they would tell their staff, as I'm sure that many
folks' wifi networks are just set up by the installation bloke, and the
customer would just see an unfixable problem with their network when they
tried to connect, resulting in lots of service calls. Unless of course it
was an upgrade of which this was an unforeseen side effect ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster davidlobsterpot60
scribeth thus
[...]

I hear that this might have been accidental in some areas.

However here we run a VM Modem which does output 192.168.100.1 which
then drives a more conventional router which does all the finer
functions like port forward setting up VPN's and the like.. You used to
need a dedicated cable modem router or one with a LAN type input but
these days there are some around, ADSL types, that can be used, some
have a WAN 2 input and that can work fine.

If you don't want to do that then why not change to the 192.168.0.xxx
range makes bu^^er all different for most all users. You can just use
the inbuilt DHCP server if required..

Other then that the service we have works fine, knocks the pants off the
ADSL services we have elsewhere all limited by that copper wire
length;!.

And those ones are business grade but are no better in practice...
--
Tony Sayer