Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Exterior paints

SWMBO is choosing colours for the exterior woodwork and wants to know if
"exterior" paints offer any distinct advantages such as durability.

She has her eye on these...

Dulux Weathershield
http://www.dulux.co.uk/products/info...rior_satin.jsp
(only comes in a limited range of colours, hence the need to justify its
choice)

Farrow and Ball exterior eggshell
http://www.farrow-ball.com/exterior-...nt/fcp-content

This question is actually off-topic because it won't be a DIY job. FWIW
the person who'll be applying it is a skilled and experienced
professional who we've used before on many occasions.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

FWIW I was in the local Johnstone's Decorating Centre on Saturday
morning buying some interior satin which led their guy there to tell me
they have just started an exterior satin finish in their Stormshield
range. I was not in the market for any so did not ask for details but
if exterior satin is what you want you could ask what colours they
offer. (It *may* be the 15,000+ they offer for Stormshield gloss. But
from a quick look it seems they have yet to get details of the satin on
their website.)

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
SWMBO is choosing colours for the exterior woodwork and wants to know
if "exterior" paints offer any distinct advantages such as durability.

She has her eye on these...

Dulux Weathershield
http://www.dulux.co.uk/products/info...rior_satin.jsp
(only comes in a limited range of colours, hence the need to justify
its choice)

Farrow and Ball exterior eggshell
http://www.farrow-ball.com/exterior-...nt/fcp-content

This question is actually off-topic because it won't be a DIY job.
FWIW the person who'll be applying it is a skilled and experienced
professional who we've used before on many occasions.

I gather from her choices that she doesn't want traditional gloss finish
then?
I don't know what satin ends up like but eggy is completely flat after a few
weeks of it going on, although it does start off as a semi-sheen.
That F&B link shows a door done in a pale green colour- I've just used this
on a huge church conversion but it was a dulux colour called overtly olive.

Tell her to pick any colour from any sample card she likes, take it to a
proper trade centre (not b&q) and they will mix any colour in any paint you
like, undercoat, eggshell (same thing really) emulsion, gloss etc - it's all
done by computer so if you run out and need more mixing, it will be exactly
the same as the first.

Not sure what you are asking WRT 'exterior', as opposed to what?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 17:02:52 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

This question is actually off-topic because it won't be a DIY job. FWIW
the person who'll be applying it is a skilled and experienced
professional who we've used before on many occasions.

So why not ask him what he recomends?

A good number of years ago I used Dulux Weathershield gloss on a window
frame. Most of it is still in reasonable condition, was gloss black it's
now looking just slightly grey on the surface but it is south facing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2012 17:02, Mike Barnes wrote:
SWMBO is choosing colours for the exterior woodwork and wants to know if
"exterior" paints offer any distinct advantages such as durability.

She has her eye on these...

Dulux Weathershield
http://www.dulux.co.uk/products/info...rior_satin.jsp
(only comes in a limited range of colours, hence the need to justify its
choice)

Farrow and Ball exterior eggshell
http://www.farrow-ball.com/exterior-...nt/fcp-content

This question is actually off-topic because it won't be a DIY job. FWIW
the person who'll be applying it is a skilled and experienced
professional who we've used before on many occasions.

I used Dulux Weathershield on my bargeboards fifteen years ago and it
still looks good.

I used the new VOC2010 formulation on a front door this year. While
painting it soon goes claggy but then takes an age to dry so picks up
dirt and small flies. Even now still feels soft. I bet it won't last
fifteen years. Not terribly impressed.

So, for the sake of a small amount of VOC in the paintg there will be
all the pollution in five years time resulting in having to sand it
down, drive to the builders merchant to buy more, repaint the door and
clean the brushes. Ho hum.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Sep, 10:11, Andrew May wrote:
[...]

DIY might soon mean making your ownpaint again

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 4 September 2012 10:45:27 UTC+1, NT wrote:
[...]

I would consider using a microporous paint. One of the alleged reasons paint fails is because it traps moisture behind it. Or, it cracks and lets moisture in but then it can't escape. Old paints based on linseed oil were breathable. High build modern 'woodstains' like Sadolin are too.

I put weathershield exterior gloss on my wooden fascia boards about 7 years ago. On the west (prevailing weather) side of my house there are visible some peeling areas. On the north and east side, it is sound still. However, I can't remember now if I used an undercoat everywhere, which might make a difference.

Oddly enough, given the microporous paint theory, I get a similar life out of (vertical) Sadolin painted surfaces (on the west side - the other sides are OK), though Sadolin don't tend to peel back, more like just a general wear out in small spots. Then again, I never apply the full three coats though...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would consider using a microporous paint. One of the alleged
reasons paint fails is because it traps moisture behind it. Or, it
cracks and lets moisture in but then it can't escape. Old paints
based on linseed oil were breathable.

All paints fail if the substrate is bad, and that includes most exterior
woodwork. Any paint will last for decades on a sheet of glass. Go figure

Low VOC paints Doki UK diy 3 August 17th 06 09:09 PM
paints Steve B Metalworking 2 February 23rd 06 03:12 PM
Exterior Paints Mark Downey UK diy 3 April 25th 05 04:36 PM
can I apply exterior semi gloss directly over flat exterior paint? Bruce Millar Home Repair 7 April 14th 04 05:56 AM
PJ Paints Angela UK diy 1 December 22nd 03 04:59 PM