Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cold mains supply round the house

Any benefit in running a 22mm 'backbone' with 15mm spurs to endpoints?

Theoretically this seems to give a higher overall capacity but I don't know
if this is necessary for normal use for basins, toilets. etc.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Any benefit in running a 22mm 'backbone' with 15mm spurs to endpoints?

Theoretically this seems to give a higher overall capacity but I don't
know if this is necessary for normal use for basins, toilets. etc.

Personally I'd look at it the other way around, "any reason not to"? If the
cost difference is not great (and I've not done plumbing for a while so
apologies if it is), over capacity seems a reasonable aim - doesn't
guarantee future proof but perhaps puts off obsolescence a little.

Paul DS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2012 11:11, Paul D Smith wrote:
"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Any benefit in running a 22mm 'backbone' with 15mm spurs to endpoints?

Theoretically this seems to give a higher overall capacity but I don't
know if this is necessary for normal use for basins, toilets. etc.

Personally I'd look at it the other way around, "any reason not to"? If
the cost difference is not great (and I've not done plumbing for a while
so apologies if it is), over capacity seems a reasonable aim - doesn't
guarantee future proof but perhaps puts off obsolescence a little.

Paul DS

Having just replaced a cold water loft tank, CH expansion tank in loft,
and plumbed in a digital mixer shower - I discovered that (at Screwfix,
and also at B&Q) 22mm copper pipe is £19.99 for 3m. 15mm copper pipe is
£9.99 for 3m. Whether that's the cheapest you'll get I don't know
(think it gets to £14.99 for 3m if you buy 30m at Screwfix!), but after
discovering this price difference, I quite happily plumbed the last 6m
to the shower (3m of cold pipe, 3m of hot pipe) in 22mm SpeedFit.

I was surprised at the cost of 22mm copper pipe!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Paul D Smith wrote:
Personally I'd look at it the other way around, "any reason not to"? If
the cost difference is not great (and I've not done plumbing for a
while so apologies if it is), over capacity seems a reasonable aim -
doesn't guarantee future proof but perhaps puts off obsolescence a
little.

Costs about double with copper tube.

--
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 3, 10:53*am, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
Any benefit in running a 22mm 'backbone' with 15mm spurs to endpoints?

Theoretically this seems to give a higher overall capacity but I don't know
if this is necessary for normal use for basins, toilets. etc.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Depends on your water pressure/incoming water main capacity.
Usually a complete waste of money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts :
Any benefit in running a 22mm 'backbone' with 15mm spurs to endpoints?

Theoretically this seems to give a higher overall capacity but I don't
know if this is necessary for normal use for basins, toilets. etc.

Doesn't that mean that you'd have to run off more before you can get a
glass of *cold* water?

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Mike Barnes wrote:
David WE Roberts :
Any benefit in running a 22mm 'backbone' with 15mm spurs to
endpoints?

Theoretically this seems to give a higher overall capacity but I
don't know if this is necessary for normal use for basins, toilets.
etc.

Doesn't that mean that you'd have to run off more before you can get a
glass of *cold* water?

And what is wrong with bottled water from the fridge:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Owain wrote:
On Sep 3, 8:02 pm, "ARW" wrote:
And what is wrong with bottled water from the fridge:-)

Especially with added hops...

What is wrong with 96% water from the fridge:-)?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2012 21:35, Owain wrote:
On Sep 3, 9:10 pm, "ARW" wrote:
Especially with added hops...

What is wrong with 96% water from the fridge:-)?

it's only 4% alcohol?

Owain

Not even that. There are other things in a decent brew than water and
ethanol.

Andy