Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toilet Cabin for Builders

Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering asking
the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours messed up. Any
thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may react?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 2, 6:15*pm, DerbyBorn wrote:
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering asking
the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours messed up. Any
thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may react?

Get in touch with Portaloo.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering asking
the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours messed up. Any
thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may react?

Just get a quote from a portaloo company. If you're in S Yorks a good
one is Lizzie's Loos. If you hire the bog the builder can't mark it up.
Some builders have their own, but this is unusual. Don't let them erect
it near your kitchen or dining room. Best place is downwind of the house.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2012 18:15, DerbyBorn wrote:
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering asking
the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours messed up. Any
thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may react?

For a guide to what is available and what it costs:

http://www.hireportabletoilets.co.uk/

I suspect that the builder would be very pleased to have an on-site loo.
When I have had builders in if they needed a loo and I wasn't in they
have had to leave the site and find a public one.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

DerbyBorn wrote:
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering
asking the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours
messed up. Any thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may
react?

Dunno about the cost, but they are are a requirement at some of the houses I
have worked on.

Nothing beats having a crap at minus 6 in a portable toilet. It's worse than
having one when it is 35 deg.

But if you are in the trade then tough ****. The tradesmen have to live by
your rules.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
DerbyBorn wrote:
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering
asking the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours
messed up. Any thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may
react?

Dunno about the cost, but they are are a requirement at some of the houses
I have worked on.

Nothing beats having a crap at minus 6 in a portable toilet. It's worse
than having one when it is 35 deg.

But if you are in the trade then tough ****. The tradesmen have to live by
your rules.

--
Adam

The building trade has always been crap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Not for a **** they wouldn't.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Mr Pounder wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
DerbyBorn wrote:
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering
asking the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having
ours messed up. Any thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder
may react?

Dunno about the cost, but they are are a requirement at some of the
houses I have worked on.

Nothing beats having a crap at minus 6 in a portable toilet. It's
worse than having one when it is 35 deg.

But if you are in the trade then tough ****. The tradesmen have to
live by your rules.

--
Adam

The building trade has always been crap.

You mean "treated as crap".

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
DerbyBorn wrote:
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering
asking the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having
ours messed up. Any thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder
may react?

Dunno about the cost, but they are are a requirement at some of the
houses I have worked on.

Nothing beats having a crap at minus 6 in a portable toilet. It's
worse than having one when it is 35 deg.

But if you are in the trade then tough ****. The tradesmen have to
live by your rules.

--
Adam

The building trade has always been crap.

You mean "treated as crap".

--
Adam

Yes. And tradesmen accept it.
I "roughed in" central heating systems many years ago in houses under
construction and came close to freezing to death. The foreman once caught me
asleep sat on rolls of lagging. I had the gas bottle going to keep warm.
If you needed a crap, you had a crap at the back of the site.
Errr, I remember shoving empty milk bottles and just about everything down
the cavity wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering
asking the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours
messed up. Any thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may
react?

If you wish the builders to supply their own toilet facilites then tell them
that as part of the contract preambles (written or oral and expect them to
build the cost of supplying, maintaining and emptying the portaloo into the
contract (they may even have one or two as part of their basic equipment) -
but remember, you must also have sufficient space in your garden for them to
accommodate the portable loo.

As for how the "builder may react" - they now have to provide such
facilities under the H&S regulations, and if they object, look for another
builder.

BTW, that 'law' has been enacted (IIRC) since the mid 90s, because of an
incident at the Army Apprentices College at Beachley near Chepstow, where a
female out walking, came across a male employee of McAlpine's (who were
renovating the college at the time) having a 'dump' behind a hedge because
no toilet facilities had been arranged at his particular place of work by
Mac's, and one hell of a stink was raised about it by the press, public and
local politicians - talk about the **** flying about then....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 17:15:47 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering
asking the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours
messed up. Any thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may react?

With our builders last year if we hadn't allowed the use of one of the
downstairs loos for them they would have provided a "portaloo" and
charged for it...

I suspect these days a portaloo is required under H&S, Notice how they
pop up at roadworks that are there for a few days. All new build sites
have at least one.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering
asking the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours
messed up. Any thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may
react?

It doesn't matter what it will cost because the builder won't be paying for
it, you will.
The builder will probably be happy to have somewhere to have a **** without
waiting for you to go out so he can do it in your gulley or behind your
shed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 17:15:47 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering
asking the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours
messed up. Any thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may
react?

With our builders last year if we hadn't allowed the use of one of the
downstairs loos for them they would have provided a "portaloo" and
charged for it...

I suspect these days a portaloo is required under H&S, Notice how they
pop up at roadworks that are there for a few days.

All new build sites have at least one.

To be fair you cannot have a **** in a new build until the plumbers have
done the second fix can you?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Trust me, it's when you need a **** that you need a toilet. A bloke can have
a **** anywhere they want to and get away with it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Unbeliever wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering
asking the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours
messed up. Any thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may
react?

If you wish the builders to supply their own toilet facilites then
tell them that as part of the contract preambles (written or oral and
expect them to build the cost of supplying, maintaining and emptying
the portaloo into the contract (they may even have one or two as part
of their basic equipment) - but remember, you must also have
sufficient space in your garden for them to accommodate the portable
loo.

Considering the garden will need to accommodate an extention, a load of
builders arse and a skip then a 5 foot by 5 foot ****ter should be no
problem:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 20:19:06 +0100, ARW wrote:

To be fair you cannot have a **** in a new build until the plumbers
have done the second fix can you?

Thought thats what cavity walls were for?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Bill Wright wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering
asking the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours
messed up. Any thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may
react?

Just get a quote from a portaloo company. If you're in S Yorks a good
one is Lizzie's Loos. If you hire the bog the builder can't mark it
up. Some builders have their own, but this is unusual. Don't let them
erect it near your kitchen or dining room. Best place is downwind of
the house.

You can usually just shove then to a new place if stood on concrete. This is
best done when an apprentice is in the toilet and you have strapped the door
closed with a rope. Rocking the toilet as you move it is an optional extra
if the apprentice is useless.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 20:19:06 +0100, ARW wrote:

To be fair you cannot have a **** in a new build until the plumbers
have done the second fix can you?

Thought thats what cavity walls were for?

I have no access to them when 1st fixing the electrics.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
Phil L wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering
asking the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours
messed up. Any thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may
react?

It doesn't matter what it will cost because the builder won't be
paying for it, you will.
The builder will probably be happy to have somewhere to have a ****
without waiting for you to go out so he can do it in your gulley or
behind your shed.

Trust me, it's when you need a **** that you need a toilet. A bloke
can have a **** anywhere they want to and get away with it.

Preaching to the choir mate, I won't tell you all the places I've shat, but
some of them are worth a mention.

Master bedroom of a 6 bed detatched, into a cement bag and launched out the
window...the house had no windows in nor plaster on the walls as it was a
new build, and I was the only person on site.

Back of several vans, into numerous recepticles; bags, buckets, chippy
cartons etc and disposed of in the usual manner - lobbed in a bus stop bin.

In someone's garage into a bucket, then poured into open manhole.

When you've gotta go, you've gotta go.

Cue the 'you could have waited until you got home' brigade, and my answer is
that I was lucky to make it to the empty cement bag nevermind the
staircase - my guts give me ten seconds to find somewhere to curl one off
and then it's on show

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
Unbeliever wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering
asking the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours
messed up. Any thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may
react?

If you wish the builders to supply their own toilet facilites then
tell them that as part of the contract preambles (written or oral and
expect them to build the cost of supplying, maintaining and emptying
the portaloo into the contract (they may even have one or two as part
of their basic equipment) - but remember, you must also have
sufficient space in your garden for them to accommodate the portable
loo.

Considering the garden will need to accommodate an extention, a load
of builders arse and a skip then a 5 foot by 5 foot ****ter should be
no problem:-)

Bloody hell ARW, you Yorkies must have big arses if you need a 5 foot square
crapper! vbg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

Back of several vans, into numerous recepticles; bags, buckets, chippy
cartons

2builders1carton?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 20:19:06 +0100, ARW wrote:

To be fair you cannot have a **** in a new build until the plumbers
have done the second fix can you?

Thought thats what cavity walls were for?

I have no access to them when 1st fixing the electrics.

What, no 'yesterdays' newspapers to wrap the crap in and stuff it in any odd
cavity/attic/corner - tell you are a young whippersnapper ARW. And *NEVER*
drink out of any pop bottle you find with liquid in! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 18:40:22 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
"ARW" , randomly hit the keyboard and
wrote:

Nightjar wrote:

I suspect that the builder would be very pleased to have an on-site
loo. When I have had builders in if they needed a loo and I wasn't in
they have had to leave the site and find a public one.

Not for a **** they wouldn't.

Around here, not for any reason they wouldn't. As I've said before,
that's what the architect's plans get used for.

And when you say, "leave the site", they may venture as far as next
door's garden (usually the neighbour who's most likely to ring The
Council).
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Phil L wrote:
ARW wrote:
Phil L wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
[...]

Nice but true.

And of course there is the time I had a **** over a low garden wall in a cul
de sac on the way home from the pub. My mate stood at the end of the cul de
sac and kept an eye out for passing police etc. I wiped my arse with my
underpants and put them into the nearest wheelie bin.

When you've gotta go, you've gotta go.

And let's tell people how it really is on some sites.

One day on a site with no toilet facilities the site foreman ran to the
kitchen sink dropped his dungarees and had a **** in the kitchen sink. He
failed to get his dungarees out of the way in time and he managed to soil
them.

Was he embarrassed? Was he hell. He spent most of the day showing them off
to other tradesmen.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 17:15:47 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering
asking the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours
messed up. Any thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may
react?

With our builders last year if we hadn't allowed the use of one of the
downstairs loos for them they would have provided a "portaloo" and
charged for it...

I suspect these days a portaloo is required under H&S, Notice how they
pop up at roadworks that are there for a few days.

All new build sites have at least one.

To be fair you cannot have a **** in a new build until the plumbers have
done the second fix can you?

Course you can. What's a couple of scaffold poles a pile of bricks and
an open manhole cover for?

Theres always a hose somewhere as well

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2012 18:40, ARW wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 02/09/2012 18:15, DerbyBorn wrote:
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering
asking the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours
messed up. Any thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may
react?

For a guide to what is available and what it costs:

http://www.hireportabletoilets.co.uk/

I suspect that the builder would be very pleased to have an on-site
loo. When I have had builders in if they needed a loo and I wasn't in
they have had to leave the site and find a public one.

Not for a **** they wouldn't.

Desmond & I sing The Dambusters theme as a warning if someone is
approaching :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman writes:
On 02/09/2012 18:40, ARW wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
I suspect that the builder would be very pleased to have an on-site
loo. When I have had builders in if they needed a loo and I wasn't in
they have had to leave the site and find a public one.

Not for a **** they wouldn't.

Desmond

Sorry, but everytime you mention him, an image of Joel Fry (Darren)
springs into my mind... http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcthree/Joel_512.jpg

& I sing The Dambusters theme as a warning if someone is
approaching :-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2012 18:40, ARW wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 02/09/2012 18:15, DerbyBorn wrote:
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering
asking the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours
messed up. Any thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may
react?

For a guide to what is available and what it costs:

http://www.hireportabletoilets.co.uk/

I suspect that the builder would be very pleased to have an on-site
loo. When I have had builders in if they needed a loo and I wasn't in
they have had to leave the site and find a public one.

Not for a **** they wouldn't.

I suspect the female member of the team did.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering asking
the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours messed up.
Any
thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may react?

Just to note that we let our builders use our toilet.
Not that they are likely to mess it up too much, and it is going in the skip
later on when the new bathroom is plumbed in.
Likewise carpets etc. so there is no issue with mucky boots.
They are being very organised in keeping toilet facilities available
throughout the build (for our benefit) as we are replacing all the main
drainage in the house which could cause problems if done in the wrong order.

We are not bothered if they take a dump - everyone has to - and why make
life difficult.
However I suspect they may not do very often, if at all.

Then again we are working aslongside them part of most days and they are
almosr part of the family :-)

More of an issue if you have white fluffy carpets and the builders can't aim
properly.

They will hopefully soon have a choice of two new toilets as the new
drainage has gone in and we are starting to put things back together inside
the old part of the house.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1158371 20120902 181547 DerbyBorn wrote:
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering asking
the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours messed up. Any
thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may react?

My son just had an extension built and the builders provided their own loo.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its not the toilet they mess up, its the carpet from the door they use to
the toilet!

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering asking
the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours messed up.
Any
thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may react?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2012 23:40, Owain wrote:
On Sep 2, 10:59 pm, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Desmond

Sorry, but everytime you mention him, an image of Joel Fry (Darren)
springs into my mind... http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcthree/Joel_512.jpg

I imagine a cross between Norman Beaton and John Goodman.

Owain

http://www.akroncleaning.co.uk/about-us/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 21:38:54 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

I suspect that the builder would be very pleased to have an on-site
loo. When I have had builders in if they needed a loo and I wasn't in
they have had to leave the site and find a public one.

Not for a **** they wouldn't.

Desmond & I sing The Dambusters theme as a warning if someone is
approaching :-)

Or the William Tell overture
Diddy dump, diddy dump, diddy dump dump dump...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2012 10:57, Owain wrote:
On Sep 3, 8:48 am, The Medway Handyman wrote:
I imagine a cross between Norman Beaton and John Goodman.

http://www.akroncleaning.co.uk/about-us/

That's a John not a Desmond!

Owain

He is only known as Desmond when we are decking....

I'm known as Black Hand.....

My SIL has helped on a couple and became Double...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2012 18:41, ARW wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
DerbyBorn wrote:
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering
asking the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having
ours messed up. Any thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder
may react?

Dunno about the cost, but they are are a requirement at some of the
houses I have worked on.

Nothing beats having a crap at minus 6 in a portable toilet. It's
worse than having one when it is 35 deg.

But if you are in the trade then tough ****. The tradesmen have to
live by your rules.

--
Adam

The building trade has always been crap.

You mean "treated as crap".

No some are just crap! I know one who decided to buy some properties in
France and do them up. He'd been a builder (and done peoples extensions,
kitchens etc.) for many years. He cocked up the plumbing (a chauffe eau
of hot water and couldn't get any out) and the wiring (one light
wouldn't work and another was intermittent). He visited our holiday home
20 miles away and commented on his second visit a few days later how
fast we were progressing (DIYers only) and then invited us round to
solve his problems!

SteveW

Sealing cabin Steve B[_13_] Home Repair 5 June 6th 12 06:03 AM
winterizing a cabin franz fripplfrappl Home Repair 2 September 28th 08 01:20 AM
HELP: NEED LOG CABIN CONTRACTOR TO BUILD ME A CABIN! [email protected] Home Ownership 0 December 25th 06 09:38 PM
LOG CABIN PLAYHOUSE J T Woodworking 0 March 1st 06 05:16 PM
Log Cabin, where to buy? Tim UK diy 3 August 12th 05 10:42 PM