Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More powerful tubular latch needed

I have a problem with door handles! We've changed 15 doors in a total house
refurb, and the chosen door handles (lever type) don't have springs to
return to horizontal and the tubular latch hasn't the guts to do the job.
the latches fitted are :

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tubular-la...kel-63mm/22822

The handles are a forged pseudo antique ones as the doors are framed ledged
and braced, and the plate that screws to the door has no depth to fit a
spring. I've dismantled one of the latches, and although it is only a
compression spring, it squashes to a very short length by being a double
cone so a stronger replacement would have to be custom made. SO : are there
more powerfully sprung tubular latches available????

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 2, 2:41*pm, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
I have a problem with door handles! We've changed 15 doors in a total house
refurb, and the chosen door handles (lever type) don't have springs to
return to horizontal and the tubular latch hasn't the guts to do the job.
the latches fitted are :

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tubular-la...kel-63mm/22822

The handles are a forged pseudo antique ones *as the doors are framed ledged
and braced, and the plate that screws to the door has no depth to fit a
spring. I've dismantled one of the latches, and although it is only a
compression spring, it squashes to a very short length by being a double
cone so a stronger replacement would have to be custom made. SO : are there
more powerfully sprung tubular latches available????

AWEM

EEvery tubular lock I've seen needed handles with a spring.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Mawson
writes
I have a problem with door handles! We've changed 15 doors in a total
house refurb, and the chosen door handles (lever type) don't have
springs to return to horizontal and the tubular latch hasn't the guts
to do the job. the latches fitted are :

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tubular-la...kel-63mm/22822

The handles are a forged pseudo antique ones as the doors are framed
ledged and braced, and the plate that screws to the door has no depth
to fit a spring. I've dismantled one of the latches, and although it is
only a compression spring, it squashes to a very short length by being
a double cone so a stronger replacement would have to be custom made.
SO : are there more powerfully sprung tubular latches available????

Never mind the spring:-)

How much did you pay for the doors?

I am looking to replace 2 cheapo internal ledged and braced pine doors
with something more robust for possible future tenants.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

In message , Andrew Mawson
writes
[...]

Too good for tenants! first grade pine, with virtually no knots, all jointed
and supplied with 50mm thick door lining and door stop - £277 each but that
was negotiated over a bulk lot of 15

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Mawson
writes
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
Never mind the spring:-)

How much did you pay for the doors?

I am looking to replace 2 cheapo internal ledged and braced pine doors
with something more robust for possible future tenants.

regards

Tim,

Too good for tenants! first grade pine, with virtually no knots, all
jointed and supplied with 50mm thick door lining and door stop - £277
each but that was negotiated over a bulk lot of 15

Hmm.. that's the sort of price I am finding without the door linings.

The idea is that these doors would control access to a *lettable* annexe
which could also provide accommodation for a *live in* carer if needed.
Note my confidence in future state geriatric care!

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 08:40:23 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Too good for tenants! first grade pine, with virtually no knots, all
jointed and supplied with 50mm thick door lining and door stop - £277
each but that was negotiated over a bulk lot of 15

Hmm.. that's the sort of price I am finding without the door linings.

50mm linings? Seems a bit OTT.

Our new 4 panel interior clear pine doors are engineered rather than
solid. Pine veneer on the stiles and rails so no knots. Well made, good
finish. I think they were less than £100 each, just the door.

The joiners supplied 'em so don't know the actual price or source (might
have been Hewdens). From what I remember they are of eastern european
manufacture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allsorts-60/6424216903

Doesn't really do them justice.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...

On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 08:40:23 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Too good for tenants! first grade pine, with virtually no knots, all
jointed and supplied with 50mm thick door lining and door stop - £277
each but that was negotiated over a bulk lot of 15

Hmm.. that's the sort of price I am finding without the door linings.

50mm linings? Seems a bit OTT.

Our new 4 panel interior clear pine doors are engineered rather than
solid. Pine veneer on the stiles and rails so no knots. Well made, good
finish. I think they were less than £100 each, just the door.

The joiners supplied 'em so don't know the actual price or source (might
have been Hewdens). From what I remember they are of eastern european
manufacture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allsorts-60/6424216903

Doesn't really do them justice.

Dave,

They are going (have gone actually) in an old house (bits 1650) with no
architrave, hence the 2" linings

AWEM