Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default A nice day off work and a chance to do some DIY

Apart from someone in Worksop has just phoned to say their fusebox has
caught fire.

It's going to cost him.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 04:27:40 -0700 (PDT), Owain wrote:

Apart from someone in Worksop has just phoned to say their fusebox has
caught fire.

It's the Lord's way of telling him he sholdn't be using electricity on
the Sabbath.

I din't think the cross lot had a ban of "doing work" on Sundays. I
thought that was the lot with a little flat hat on their bald spots and
was Friday into Saturday?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 04:27:40 -0700 (PDT), Owain wrote:

Apart from someone in Worksop has just phoned to say their fusebox has
caught fire.

It's the Lord's way of telling him he sholdn't be using electricity on
the Sabbath.

I din't think the cross lot had a ban of "doing work" on Sundays. I
thought that was the lot with a little flat hat on their bald spots and
was Friday into Saturday?

Six days shalt thou labour and on the seventh thou shalt claim double time?

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/2/2012 8:27 AM, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 04:27:40 -0700 (PDT), Owain wrote:

Apart from someone in Worksop has just phoned to say their fusebox has
caught fire.

It's the Lord's way of telling him he sholdn't be using electricity on
the Sabbath.

I din't think the cross lot had a ban of "doing work" on Sundays. I
thought that was the lot with a little flat hat on their bald spots and
was Friday into Saturday?

In certain parts of the Highlands, even hanging out the wash on Sunday
was viewed with great disapproval.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
On 9/2/2012 8:27 AM, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 04:27:40 -0700 (PDT), Owain wrote:

Apart from someone in Worksop has just phoned to say their fusebox has
caught fire.

It's the Lord's way of telling him he sholdn't be using electricity on
the Sabbath.

I din't think the cross lot had a ban of "doing work" on Sundays. I
thought that was the lot with a little flat hat on their bald spots and
was Friday into Saturday?

In certain parts of the Highlands, even hanging out the wash on Sunday
was viewed with great disapproval.

My sister was reported to the local council for doming that in N Germany
a few years back..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Brian Gaff wrote:
Was it a mission Impossible special I wonder? Fuseboxes to not catch
fire unless something very bad has been going on...

Like a loose neutral on the ring circuit.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Owain wrote:
On Sep 2, 9:55 am, "ARW" wrote:
Apart from someone in Worksop has just phoned to say their fusebox
has caught fire.

It's the Lord's way of telling him he sholdn't be using electricity on
the Sabbath.

It's going to cost him.

Insurance job?

Doubt it. After all, his mate fitted the metal clad CU 4 years ago. Anyway I
did get the details of the needed MCBs and RCBOs and picked
http://www.screwfix.com/p/british-ge...-10-mcbs/49540
up on the way with a RCBO and a couple of 20A MCBs.

I swapped a metal clad unit with no RCD protection that had caught fire
(thanks to the plastic lugs that held the neutral bus bar in place and a
loose neutral on the ring circuit. As look would have it the circuit cables
ran surface mount down to the CU so I was able mount the new CU highter and
cut off the burnt bits of cable (with the downside that I had to replace the
tails as the cutout was below the CU) but as they were 16mm tails and a 6mm
earth I would have swapped them anyway

I decided not to test beforehand and just see what happened.

As expected all 3 RCDs tripped so I started fault finding. I have now fixed
all the faults bar three.

The first fault is a borrowed neutral on the landing light. For now the
lights are sharing one MCB.

The second is something to do with the boiler (pump at a guess). Now the
RCBO was feeding a fusebox next to the new CU and this fusebox is for the
garage circuits and outside electrics. So for a temporary measure I
installed a fused spur under the CU on a non RCD MCB and clipped a flex
across to re-feed the boiler (that is also in the garage).

The third fault is that there is no gas or water bonding. Actually that is
quite easy to do as both are in the gargage. I did not have any 10mm earth
on me and why charge double time to fit it when I knew I would have to be
going back later.

I left home at 10am and I arrived home at 15:30pm. So call that 5 hours
including the travelling and picking up the new CU on the way. I knocked
half an hour off as they made me sandwiches for dinner.

Call it £100 for parts and fuel and 5 hours @ £60 an hour and they have just
paid £400 for a brand new (and soon to be) 17th edition compliant CU.

Laying an proper nonRCD supply to the boiler, fixing the borrowed neutral,
bonding the gas and water and the testing can be done another day at £30 an
hour. Probably about another £250 or so. The insurance co would not have
paid for the fault fixing.

So all in all it's a £650 CU swap with most of the work carried out on a
Sunday at short notice. And they were delighted with the £400 price tag and
the £200 estimate to finish the work.

And when finished they will have a 10 year certificate that says the
electrics are safe.

BTW, they had a gas hob and she liked making tea which I liked drinking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"ARW" writes:
Brian Gaff wrote:
Was it a mission Impossible special I wonder? Fuseboxes to not catch
fire unless something very bad has been going on...

Like a loose neutral on the ring circuit.

That's what the article on fires in plastic consumer units identified
as the main cause - bad neutral connections, although sometimes in the
pre-assembed parts of the CU.

Was it a Wylex like the one in their picture of a burning CU (which
looked to me like a Wylex)?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"ARW" writes:
Brian Gaff wrote:
Was it a mission Impossible special I wonder? Fuseboxes to not
catch fire unless something very bad has been going on...

Like a loose neutral on the ring circuit.

That's what the article on fires in plastic consumer units identified
as the main cause - bad neutral connections, although sometimes in the
pre-assembed parts of the CU.

Was it a Wylex like the one in their picture of a burning CU (which
looked to me like a Wylex)?

The one from here?

http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/user...5-Locked_2.pdf

Thats a Wylex (or a rebaged Wylex). Dunno what it was that had caught fire.

Well it was a metal clad CU that I replaced but it was the plastic mountings
on the neutral bar that caught fire. I did take some photos with my phone
but I have no USB lead for! I'll see if I can get them downloaded later.

Had it been a plastic CU then it would have been much worse. All the cables
entered the CU from above and they entered the house at joist height where
someone had removed a brick and filled the gap up around the cables with
scunched up newspaper. I left the owner to fill up both inner and outer
cavity holes with fire rated expanding foam.

There was surprisingly very little cable damage but I put this down to the
fact that they were lucky and quick to notice the fire. One thing I did
notice was that it looked like one of the neutral cables had snapped at the
bus bar. That makes me think that it is possible that the neutral supply was
actually a radial.

However there was a lot of soot inside the CU and things were difficult to
see and I was not there to do a full diagnosis of the cause of the fire. The
cooker neutral was also very loose but that only supplied the spark for the
gas hob and oven. Several other terminal were also loose including a couple
of lives but not on the ring or cooker circuits.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Owain wrote:
On Sep 2, 4:29 pm, "ARW" wrote:
she liked making tea which I liked drinking.

Are you going back to do the bonding on a day when Mr. isn't at
home ;-)

I would not say no to her.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Sunday, bloody sunday]
Am 02.09.2012 16:18, schrieb The Natural Philosopher:
S Viemeister wrote:
In certain parts of the Highlands, even hanging out the wash on Sunday
was viewed with great disapproval.

My sister was reported to the local council for doming that in N Germany
a few years back..

It is not illegal in germany to hang out your wash on a sunday. Never
was. Not even in the Reich (1939-1945).
The local council sure threw the report into the paper bin.
Greetings
Matthias

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

S Viemeister wrote:
In certain parts of the Highlands, even hanging out the wash on
Sunday was viewed with great disapproval.

My sister was reported to the local council for doming that in N
Germany a few years back..

It is not illegal in germany to hang out your wash on a sunday. Never
was. Not even in the Reich (1939-1945).

The local council sure threw the report into the paper bin.

The correct bin:-)

And you have been recycling waste much longer than us Brits and you do it
better than us Brits.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
In certain parts of the Highlands, even hanging out the wash on
Sunday was viewed with great disapproval.
My sister was reported to the local council for doming that in N
Germany a few years back..

It is not illegal in germany to hang out your wash on a sunday. Never
was. Not even in the Reich (1939-1945).

The local council sure threw the report into the paper bin.

The correct bin:-)

Next time I see her I'll tell her.

She said the local council had a byelaw or something

And you have been recycling waste much longer than us Brits and you do it
better than us Brits.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It is not illegal in germany to hang out your wash on a sunday. Never
was. Not even in the Reich (1939-1945).

Is that true everywhere? The MoD certainly used to give guidance to
staff posted to Germany that it was not legal to hang opur washing in
some communities on Sundays; and I've found an example from as recent as
2008 in
http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/gen...ction_5_08.pdf
"You are also prevented by law from mowing the lawn on a Sunday, and in
some communities you may not hang out washing on a Sunday, either."

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 22:24:09 +0100
"Robin" wrote:

It is not illegal in germany to hang out your wash on a sunday.
Never was. Not even in the Reich (1939-1945).

Is that true everywhere? The MoD certainly used to give guidance to
staff posted to Germany that it was not legal to hang opur washing in
some communities on Sundays; and I've found an example from as recent
as 2008 in
http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/gen...ction_5_08.pdf
"You are also prevented by law from mowing the lawn on a Sunday, and
in some communities you may not hang out washing on a Sunday, either."

Traditionally, and therefore backed up by laws, Germany has
silence from Saturday lunchtime until Monday morning. Shops close,
people don't make noise, it's 'Quiet Time'.
Of course, it's perfectly legal to go to the local Gasthaus, have a few
litres of beer, make as much noise as possible singing, and help keep
the local economy going. Hic!
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/2/2012 4:59 PM, Owain wrote:
On Sep 2, 2:54 pm, S Viemeister wrote:
In certain parts of the Highlands, even hanging out the wash on Sunday
was viewed with great disapproval.

Apparently they no longer chain up the swings in the playpark...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-12847619

We don't yet have a playpark.
My drying green is visible from the road, but I also have a whirly dryer
hidden behind the house - it was put there by a member of the previous
generation, in order to avoid offense.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 09:54:07 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

In certain parts of the Highlands, even hanging out the wash on Sunday
was viewed with great disapproval.

Yes, an Elder of one of the Wee Frees took great exception to the
"Painted Whore" living next door hanging out her washing on the
Sabbath. ******* fired a shotgun over her head.
The polis were called, had a word with him, but did nothing else.
****ing useless bunch of incompetent ******s, they were.
That was in Kyle.
The "Painted Whore" was a good friend of mine, who never wore makeup
and was as far from being on the game as you could get.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
S Viemeister wrote:
On 9/2/2012 8:27 AM, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 04:27:40 -0700 (PDT), Owain wrote:

Apart from someone in Worksop has just phoned to say their fusebox has
caught fire.

It's the Lord's way of telling him he sholdn't be using electricity on
the Sabbath.

I din't think the cross lot had a ban of "doing work" on Sundays. I
thought that was the lot with a little flat hat on their bald spots and
was Friday into Saturday?

In certain parts of the Highlands, even hanging out the wash on
Sunday was viewed with great disapproval.

My sister was reported to the local council for doming that in N
Germany a few years back..

Yeah, the Krauts are a bit hot on things like that

Prussians you see - no SOH

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Matthias Czech
writes
S Viemeister wrote:
In certain parts of the Highlands, even hanging out the wash on Sunday
was viewed with great disapproval.

My sister was reported to the local council for doming that in N Germany
a few years back..

It is not illegal in germany to hang out your wash on a sunday. Never
was. Not even in the Reich (1939-1945).
The local council sure threw the report into the paper bin.

For hanging out your smalls Herr Meyer

You vill be shot at dawn

--
geoff

[...]