Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiring in a shaver socket

Checking where to run the wires whilst the studs are only covered on one
side.

DIYnot says

"Shaver sockets can be install a shaver socket either by connecting to a
ring main with a junction box (see Adding a spur to a ring circuit from a
junction box) or from an earthed lighting socket. The spur from the ring
main must be fitted with a 3amp fused connection unit before connecting to
the shaver socket (see Fitting a Fused Connection unit). The fused
connection unit should never be installed in the bathroom.

Connection from a lighting circuit can be made directly, but must be
earthed. "

Firstly, is this up to date?

If so, it seems I have two simple options for the upstairs bathroom

(1) Drop a cable down from the loft which comes off the upstairs lighting
circuit
(2) Spur off the upstairs ring main and put the fused connection unit in the
wall outside the bathroom.

Going off the lighting seems cheaper and simpler.
What are the downsides?

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2012 08:42, David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

I don't see a problem with tapping into the lighting circuit (ignoring
Part P, of course!). Many bathroom lights have shaver sockets built in.
[Some of these are only live when the light is on - which is a pain if
you want to leave things like electric toothbrushes charging. (I had to
re-engineer mine!)]
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
[...]

Work will be Part P compliant and signed off.
At the moment I am just doing remedial wiring to move sockets and remove
ceiling lights.
However I will probably be running cables into walls prior to plastering for
later checking/certification.
Makes no sense to take half a day of an electricians time for trivial tasks.
I will leave the major new stuff to the sparky - not because I couldn't do
it but because I couldn't do it quickly.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David WE Roberts wrote:
Going off the lighting seems cheaper and simpler.
What are the downsides?

None. They take less current than most lights. Just make sure the lighting
circuit has a working earth.

Mine is actually switched with the bathroom lights. Saves it humming all
the time if you leave the shaver plugged in.

--
*Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
David WE Roberts wrote:
Going off the lighting seems cheaper and simpler.
What are the downsides?

None. They take less current than most lights. Just make sure the lighting
circuit has a working earth.

Mine is actually switched with the bathroom lights. Saves it humming all
the time if you leave the shaver plugged in.

I don't shave (too young) but it is useful for charging the electric
toothbrush.
So I would want it on all the time.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
Going off the lighting seems cheaper and simpler.
What are the downsides?

None. They take less current than most lights. Just make sure the
lighting circuit has a working earth.

Mine is actually switched with the bathroom lights. Saves it humming
all the time if you leave the shaver plugged in.

I don't shave (too young) but it is useful for charging the electric
toothbrush.
So I would want it on all the time.

I have a socket in the airing cupboard for that. A proper shaver socket is
very expensive because it includes an isolating transformer - only needed
if situated close to water etc.

--
*Most people have more than the average number of legs*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
Going off the lighting seems cheaper and simpler.
What are the downsides?

None. They take less current than most lights. Just make sure the
lighting circuit has a working earth.

Mine is actually switched with the bathroom lights. Saves it humming
all the time if you leave the shaver plugged in.

I don't shave (too young) but it is useful for charging the electric
toothbrush.
So I would want it on all the time.

I have a socket in the airing cupboard for that. A proper shaver socket is
very expensive because it includes an isolating transformer - only needed
if situated close to water etc.

Always possible we might make friends with somone who comes to visit and
needs to shave.
At the moment I charge the toothbrush beside the bed.
However it is neater and easier to have it by the wash basin

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2012 08:42, David WE Roberts wrote:
Checking where to run the wires whilst the studs are only covered on one
side.

DIYnot says

"Shaver sockets can be install a shaver socket either by connecting to a
ring main with a junction box (see Adding a spur to a ring circuit from
a junction box) or from an earthed lighting socket. The spur from the
ring main must be fitted with a 3amp fused connection unit before
connecting to the shaver socket (see Fitting a Fused Connection unit).
The fused connection unit should never be installed in the bathroom.

Connection from a lighting circuit can be made directly, but must be
earthed. "

Firstly, is this up to date?

First question really ought to be "is it right?", to which the answer is
"mostly".

If taking a spur from a ring circuit then the obvious way to do it would
be using a fused spur unit rather than a junction box in many cases.
There is also no prohibition on the spur itself being in the bathroom if
required and you place it in a position where it is unlikely to get
splashed.

Also you need give some consideration to supplementary equipotential
bonding - if your shaver socket is introducing the earth of a new
circuit in the bathroom, and the wiring is not already to the 17th
edition standard of having RCD protection on all circuits and main eq
binding to spec, then the earth of the new circuit will need including
into the EQ binding in the bathroom. (the actual connection can be
"close" rather than in the room if required)

If so, it seems I have two simple options for the upstairs bathroom

(1) Drop a cable down from the loft which comes off the upstairs
lighting circuit

Yup

(2) Spur off the upstairs ring main and put the fused connection unit in
the wall outside the bathroom.

Or inside if easier.

Going off the lighting seems cheaper and simpler.
What are the downsides?

None really, and in many cases it is actually simpler.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Thanks, as usual :-)

The whole downstairs back is being ripped out and redone so we will be
getting a brand new CU and everything checked and tested.
Major new works to be done by a pro - I'm just clearting back redundant
circuits and running in wires ahead of the plasterers to save calling out
the pro sparky for little bits of jobs.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Bathroom shaver socket rbel[_2_] UK diy 6 July 22nd 12 11:16 AM
Buzzing Shaver Socket Endulini UK diy 6 October 15th 07 09:16 PM
Where is a a shaver socket powered from? Chris Styles UK diy 7 October 26th 06 12:55 AM
Shaver socket question Fred UK diy 8 February 26th 05 03:41 PM
buzzing shaver socket mike UK diy 2 December 31st 04 03:54 PM