Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Simple butt hinge question

I'm in the process of changing all my doors over and have been told by
the joiner to get hinges that are roughly 100x60.

Couple of questions.

Toolstation only list one of the dimension sizes on its hinges. I take
it they are proportionate so 100mm will be roughly 60mm on the opposite
plane?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p13985

Also, loose pin hinges, are these for being able to lift the door off
without unscrewing the hinge?
Does this make them slacker than normal fixed pins or is there any
advantage / disadvantage between the two types?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell wrote:

loose pin hinges, are these for being able to lift the door off
without unscrewing the hinge?

yes, useful for sanding and painting doors horizontally.

Does this make them slacker than normal fixed pins

IME no, the pins and not especially loose, generally need to knock them
out with a hammer and some form of spike.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Steven Campbell wrote:

loose pin hinges, are these for being able to lift the door off
without unscrewing the hinge?

yes, useful for sanding and painting doors horizontally.

Does this make them slacker than normal fixed pins

IME no, the pins and not especially loose, generally need to knock them
out with a hammer and some form of spike.

+1
A suitable punch makes pin removal simple, provided there is clearance to
sufficiently extract the pin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2012 14:11, Steven Campbell wrote:
I'm in the process of changing all my doors over and have been told by
the joiner to get hinges that are roughly 100x60.

Couple of questions.

Toolstation only list one of the dimension sizes on its hinges. I take
it they are proportionate so 100mm will be roughly 60mm on the opposite
plane?

I've never seen hinge dimensions expressed in that way - but only 3" or
4" hinges, etc.

I presume he means 100 x 60 when opened out flat - so 100 x ~30 when
folded? How thick are the doors? Obviously the 'half-hinge' mustn't be
any wider than the thickness of the door!

What size are the existing hinges? Can't they be transferred to the new
doors?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 5, 2:11*pm, Steven Campbell no@thanks wrote:
I'm in the process of changing all my doors over and have been told by
the joiner to get hinges that are roughly 100x60.

Couple of questions.

Toolstation only list one of the dimension sizes on its hinges. I take
it they are proportionate so 100mm will be roughly 60mm on the opposite
plane?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p13985

Also, loose pin hinges, are these for being able to lift the door off
without unscrewing the hinge?
Does this make them slacker than normal fixed pins or is there any
advantage / disadvantage between the two types?

There are three basic types of door hinge; Lightweight heavy duty and
rising buts.

They are all sold as 3 or 4 inch (metric these days) I have never seen
them sold by depth or width.

The other specification is brass or steel.
Obviously there are ^n varieties of hinges available but those are the
basic specs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell no@thanks wrote:

Also, loose pin hinges, are these for being able to lift the door off
without unscrewing the hinge?

Yes; useful eg for a loft hatch too, as it means the whole hatch can be
removed easily.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

Steven Campbell no@thanks wrote:

Also, loose pin hinges, are these for being able to lift the door off
without unscrewing the hinge?

Yes; useful eg for a loft hatch too, as it means the whole hatch can be
removed easily.

Oh - and I'm sure I long ago saw them used in scenery construction to hold
adjacent flats together, possibly with pull-loop wires welded to the ends of
the pins so they can be removed easily.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2012 15:30, Roger Mills wrote:
On 05/08/2012 14:11, Steven Campbell wrote:
I'm in the process of changing all my doors over and have been told by
the joiner to get hinges that are roughly 100x60.

Couple of questions.

Toolstation only list one of the dimension sizes on its hinges. I take
it they are proportionate so 100mm will be roughly 60mm on the opposite
plane?

I've never seen hinge dimensions expressed in that way - but only 3"
or 4" hinges, etc.

I presume he means 100 x 60 when opened out flat - so 100 x ~30 when
folded? How thick are the doors? Obviously the 'half-hinge' mustn't be
any wider than the thickness of the door!

What size are the existing hinges? Can't they be transferred to the
new doors?

The doors are 35mm in depth.

Yes I don't want the hinges any wider than the door hence why do
Toolstation only give one specific dimension? Seems bizarre to me.

The existing hinges are probably okay apart from covered in layers of
paint and since the new doors are oak I'd rather start with an nice new
shiny set of hinges as well.

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2012 00:02, Steven Campbell wrote:
[...]

Fair enough. 4" (100mm) hinges of "standard" width will be fine.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steven Campbell" no@thanks wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

You might be better with stainless steel on oak. The tannins discolour brass
and steel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2012 11:05, harryagain wrote:
[...]

Thanks guys for all the replies. Much appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, August 5, 2012 2:38:57 PM UTC+1, Nick wrote:
snip

A suitable punch makes pin removal simple, provided there is clearance to
sufficiently extract the pin.

I found with loose pin hinges that the real problem was putting everything together again - admittedly the door I was dealing with had access problems (it was at the end of a passageway not much wider than the door and opened into the passage) but I couldn't get the door held in position and get access to drop the pins in - I had to undo the hinges from the frame and assemble them before screwing them back to the frame.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 11:05:05 +0100, harryagain wrote:

The existing hinges are probably okay apart from covered in layers of
paint and since the new doors are oak I'd rather start with an nice new
shiny set of hinges as well.

You might be better with stainless steel on oak. The tannins discolour brass
and steel.

If the doors are heavy, Wickes has st. st. 4" hinges in packs of 3. I fitted
some to my new shed as the door's wider than standard and fairly heavy.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Don't suppose Zinc plated or Chrome plated is just as good as these are
a lot less than half the price of Stainless, since I'll be buying a lot
of them!!

Thanks.