Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Buying non-standard-sized windows & building regs.

I need to buy three non-standard sized (960mm x 1290mm) replacement windows
for my house. Can anyone recommend a good-value supplier?

I may opt for upvc or timber, depending on cost.

I am also trying to determine the current building regs for upstairs
windows in domestic dwellings, and their opening requirements. Can anyone
point me to the current regulations?

Many thanks,

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in message ...

I need to buy three non-standard sized (960mm x 1290mm) replacement windows
for my house. Can anyone recommend a good-value supplier?

I may opt for upvc or timber, depending on cost.

I am also trying to determine the current building regs for upstairs
windows in domestic dwellings, and their opening requirements. Can anyone
point me to the current regulations?

If they are bedrooms they need to be "escapable through" (with the
assumption that there is something safe on the other side to escape into)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
I need to buy three non-standard sized (960mm x 1290mm) replacement windows
for my house. Can anyone recommend a good-value supplier?

I may opt for upvc or timber, depending on cost.

I am also trying to determine the current building regs for upstairs
windows in domestic dwellings, and their opening requirements. Can anyone
point me to the current regulations?

damn. I don't think they have changed but each room needs a window you
can get a fireman in and out of so to speak.

2000 regs have a minimum openable area of .33 sq meter and no less than
450mm in any dimension (height or width)

Any joiner who makes up windows will know the current regs.
You may also need to put in trickle ventilation - again the joiners or
window manufacturers will know 'the norm'

Many thanks,

Al

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AL_n wrote:
I need to buy three non-standard sized (960mm x 1290mm) replacement
windows for my house. Can anyone recommend a good-value supplier?

If you're in the Hebrides, probably not a good idea to use a firm in
Cornwall.

--
*If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in news:a847iiFcf2U1
@mid.individual.net:

If they are bedrooms they need to be "escapable through" (with the
assumption that there is something safe on the other side to escape into)

tim

Thanks, Tim. I found one set of building regs that stipulates an
unobstructed openng of at least 450mm by at least 450mm, the opening part
being no more than 1100mm above floor level. I wonder if this is the
current requirement.

There is nothing outside my first-floor windows, except a 12ft (approx)
drop to the pavement below.

I found two online suppliers that can supply casement windows with the
bottom half opening:

http://www.easyfitwindow.com

http://www.windowforce.co.uk

(the latter being the cheaper). Can anyone recommend either of these
companies' products and service?

Thanks,

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
"tim....." wrote in news:a847iiFcf2U1
@mid.individual.net:

If they are bedrooms they need to be "escapable through" (with the
assumption that there is something safe on the other side to escape into)

tim

Thanks, Tim. I found one set of building regs that stipulates an
unobstructed openng of at least 450mm by at least 450mm, the opening part
being no more than 1100mm above floor level. I wonder if this is the
current requirement.

I believe it is.

And that vital 0.33m^2 area. so 450x450 is NOT big enough.

There is nothing outside my first-floor windows, except a 12ft (approx)
drop to the pavement below.

Thats not an issue when you have a fire engine rig and ladder out there
to climb down..

I found two online suppliers that can supply casement windows with the
bottom half opening:

http://www.easyfitwindow.com

http://www.windowforce.co.uk

(the latter being the cheaper). Can anyone recommend either of these
companies' products and service?

Frankly I have found that local suppliers an usually beat 'online
prices' and make up anything you want.

UPVC is simply section cutting from standard stock and insertion of
stock hardware and custom made glazing panels.

wood isn't a lot different.

Thanks,

Al

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2012 09:45, AL_n wrote:
I need to buy three non-standard sized (960mm x 1290mm) replacement windows
for my house. Can anyone recommend a good-value supplier?...

If my experiences are anything to go by, you will probably get best
value from a small local company.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote in
:

AL_n wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the great input. I'm now inclined to opt for having the
full window area openable (top hung), to allow an uninterrupted view.

As this type costs about the same as a window that is only half-opening,
I'm surprised more people don't opt for this type. Are there any
disadvantages to having the full (1m x 1m approx) openable?

Thanks to the other respondees also.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:

Thank you for the great input. I'm now inclined to opt for having the
full window area openable (top hung), to allow an uninterrupted view.

As this type costs about the same as a window that is only half-opening,
I'm surprised more people don't opt for this type. Are there any
disadvantages to having the full (1m x 1m approx) openable?

well the stays can get a bit large. But a lot of modern windows ate
hinged part way down I suppose so that you can restruct the opening a bit..

I always prefer side hung that can b opened a little for ventilation or
in an emergency, sofd the stay and open wide!

As with all these things, find a good local company and listen to what
they say.

Only one thing is clear, the worst people to buy windows from are double
glazing companies.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article , The Natural
Philosopher wrote:
I always prefer side hung that can b opened a little for
ventilation or

and it reduces the chance of jock-strap itch

--
John Mulrooney

I wonder if she buys make-up for both her faces?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2012 10:16, tim..... wrote:
"AL_n" wrote in message ...

I need to buy three non-standard sized (960mm x 1290mm) replacement windows
for my house. Can anyone recommend a good-value supplier?

I may opt for upvc or timber, depending on cost.

I am also trying to determine the current building regs for upstairs
windows in domestic dwellings, and their opening requirements. Can anyone
point me to the current regulations?

If they are bedrooms they need to be "escapable through" (with the
assumption that there is something safe on the other side to escape into)

tim

That is certainly the case for new windows - i.e. for new build or
extensions - but are you sure that it also applies to *replacement*
windows, where you are simply replacing one window with another? I have
several small upstairs windows which couldn't possibly comply with that
without making the aperture in the brickwork much larger!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message ...

On 04/08/2012 10:16, tim..... wrote:
"AL_n" wrote in message ...

[...]

That's not the same thing as making the open-able part bigger.

And yes I am sure that it applies to replacement windows, in the same
aperture (if it is big enough)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
I need to buy three non-standard sized (960mm x 1290mm) replacement
windows for my house. Can anyone recommend a good-value supplier?

There's no such thing as 'standard size' any more - they did used to be
brick sized, IE the width of several brick's lengths, so that there's not
quarter or thirds of bricks up each side of the reveal, these aren't
required any more as you can fit a pvc frame in an opening that is 6 inches
larger in both dimensions just by adding pvc 'knock ons' all around

I may opt for upvc or timber, depending on cost.

Timber is more expensive than pvc, especially once you add on the units,
which are included in the pvc price

I am also trying to determine the current building regs for upstairs
windows in domestic dwellings, and their opening requirements. Can
anyone point me to the current regulations?

If the bottom of the glass (not the frame) is below 800mm from floor, it
needs to be toughened.
Fire escapes are reccomended, you need at least one on each floor and they
don't charge much extra for them...best idea is to ring up or nip and see a
local window manufacturer and explain, take the sizes of the openings and
they will quote you there and then and show you examples of obscure glass
(if required) and cross sections of the frames

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote:

Thank you for the great input. I'm now inclined to opt for having the full
window area openable (top hung), to allow an uninterrupted view.

In Scotland at least, you're required to be able to clean the outside of all
windows from the inside of the house (whether you employ a window cleaner or
not).

Top hung windows which have a hinge at the top of the frame will not allow
that, though you might get away with the ones where the opening portion
moves out & down (because someone could reach out over the top of the moving
part). I have a feeling that that's disallowed too if someone would have to
stand on a chair or something to do it.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2012 10:16, tim..... wrote:
"AL_n" wrote in message ...

[...]

And what if it's not big enough?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 20:02:36 +0100 Phil L wrote :
I may opt for upvc or timber, depending on cost.

Timber is more expensive than pvc, especially once you add on the
units, which are included in the pvc price

A third option, though you'd have to look a little harder to find a
fabricator, is thermal break powder coat aluminium. Near maintenance
free like plastic, and much slimmer like timber. More expensive
admittedly.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote
in nvalid:

In Scotland at least, you're required to be able to clean the outside
of all windows from the inside of the house (whether you employ a
window cleaner or not).

Top hung windows which have a hinge at the top of the frame will not
allow that, though you might get away with the ones where the opening
portion moves out & down (because someone could reach out over the top
of the moving part). I have a feeling that that's disallowed too if
someone would have to stand on a chair or something to do it.

That's interesting. I'm glad we don't have that particular rule in England.
However, now you mention it, being able to clean the outside of all the
glass from the inside does sound like an advantage. Of course, the degree
to which it can be done, with various window types, depends on the tools
one is using. (long-handled ones are going to reach further, etc.)

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote in
:

I may opt for upvc or timber, depending on cost.

Timber is more expensive than pvc, especially once you add on the
units, which are included in the pvc price

A third option, though you'd have to look a little harder to find a
fabricator, is thermal break powder coat aluminium. Near maintenance
free like plastic, and much slimmer like timber. More expensive
admittedly.

Thanks.. That's good to know, as my windows are smaller than I'd
like,regarding the amount of light they let in.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in message

Thanks.. That's good to know, as my windows are smaller than I'd
like,regarding the amount of light they let in.

I saw some the other day where the glass was only about one inch high.
The rest was the frame and a trickle vent.
The whole thing was about two bricks high.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2012 10:16, tim..... wrote:
"AL_n" wrote in message ...

[...]

As you need PP to make it bigger, and PP might not be granted (esp in a
conservation area), I guess that the current size of the hole trumps all
other requirements.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 17:49:36 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Roger Mills , randomly hit the keyboard and
wrote:

That is certainly the case for new windows - i.e. for new build or
extensions - but are you sure that it also applies to *replacement*
windows, where you are simply replacing one window with another?

Correct. The Building Regulations would only apply to new openings,
not to the replacement of existing windows (except to determine
whether they comply with the requirements for energy efficiency).
There is guidance in a British Standard that at least one replacement
window on the first floor should be suitable for means of escape, but
I don't know if it is enforcable by Trading Standards.

For the OP, the guidance for the means of escape is that the window
should have a clear unobstructed area of at least 0.33m^2 measured at
right angles to the glass, with a minimum opening width or height of
0.45m, and that the bottom of the opening (not necessarily the window
sill) should be between 900mm - 1100mm above the floor. Consideration
should also be given to where the window is placed in relation to any
fragile or glazed roofs below.

Having said all of that, a decent smoke detection system is a much
better bet.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

In our case, all of the windows were in before we moved in and any
escape via an upstairs window would require smashing it. I'm not
bothered about that though, as the best escape route is onto a flat
roof, standing our conservatory off by about 900mmm from the back of the
house (and then the much shorted drop or even climb down via the fence
next to it) and I'd rather not have it as an easy entry point for burglars!

Having said all of that, a decent smoke detection system is a much
better bet.

Agreed.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in news:jvll9b$sd8$1
@news.albasani.net:

Thanks.. That's good to know, as my windows are smaller than I'd
like,regarding the amount of light they let in.

I saw some the other day where the glass was only about one inch high.
The rest was the frame and a trickle vent.
The whole thing was about two bricks high

They wouldn't be my first choice then. :-))
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote in
:

2000 regs have a minimum openable area of .33 sq meter and no less than
450mm in any dimension (height or width)

I gather they also stipulate that this has to be measured at 90 degrees
from the fixed part of the window and unobstructed. The problem is, that
most PVC windows have travel-limiting hinges. Perhaps the special "fire
escape hinges" overcome this. From a practucal POV, I suppose a side-hung
opening section is going to be easier to escape through (when in a panic
situation) than a top-hung one. However, I live in an area prone to strong
winds, so I like the idea of top-hung windows, as they are (I guess) much
less likely to get caught and damaged by a ghust of strong wind.

I was thinking of oting for having the full are aof the window openable
(top hung). However, it occurs to me that this as a heavy openable section
that would put a lot of strain on the hinges, so pehaps having only half
the window openable would be wiser. Any comments, anyone?

I've noticed that on PVC windows, the hinges often fail long before the
rest of the window gives problems. Can anyone offer any advice on how to
recognise (before buying) hings systems that are likely to give premature
problems?

I am also trying to determine the current building regs for upstairs
windows in domestic dwellings, and their opening requirements. Can
anyone point me to the current regulations?

damn. I don't think they have changed but each room needs a window you
can get a fireman in and out of so to speak.

Do they mean a thin fireman or a fat fireman? (I'm thinking Stan Laurel vs.
Oliver Hardy...)

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Aug 2012 08:46:31 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote in
:

damn. I don't think they have changed but each room needs a window you
can get a fireman in and out of so to speak.

Do they mean a thin fireman or a fat fireman? (I'm thinking Stan Laurel vs.
Oliver Hardy...)

I presume that someone must have a spec somewhere for a British
Standard Fireman (Or would that be ISO Fireman these days?)

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On 6 Aug 2012 08:46:31 GMT, a certain chimpanzee, "AL_n"
, randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

Do they mean a thin fireman or a fat fireman? (I'm thinking Stan Laurel vs.
Oliver Hardy...)

As I always say to someone who says, "if there was a fire I'd get
through that" when referring to a 300mm wide opening; "yes, but could
someone wearing breathing apparatus get in?"
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:
[Default] On 6 Aug 2012 08:46:31 GMT, a certain chimpanzee, "AL_n"
, randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

Do they mean a thin fireman or a fat fireman? (I'm thinking Stan
Laurel vs. Oliver Hardy...)

As I always say to someone who says, "if there was a fire I'd get
through that" when referring to a 300mm wide opening; "yes, but could
someone wearing breathing apparatus get in?"

The ex had a thing for firemen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote in
:

[Default] On 6 Aug 2012 08:46:31 GMT, a certain chimpanzee, "AL_n"
, randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

Do they mean a thin fireman or a fat fireman? (I'm thinking Stan
Laurel vs. Oliver Hardy...)

As I always say to someone who says, "if there was a fire I'd get
through that" when referring to a 300mm wide opening; "yes, but could
someone wearing breathing apparatus get in?"

The answer is probably 'yes', as firemen are usually equipped with axes.

Al