Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is there anyone other than me that is proud of this country?

Jim Newman wrote:
On 04/08/2012 23:12, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 23:10:22 +0100, Jim Newman wrote:

You talking to me? I'm very proud to be British

Which is why I get ****ed off at people (like ARW) who regularly knock
the people who work behind the scenes in GB to make things like this
happen.

ARW is one of the people who regularl y knocks the people of GB and
their achievements (just re-read his posts); now he claims to be the
only person "Is there anyone other than me ..." who is supporting GB.

Adam does useful work, unlike a lot of the useless overpaid parasites
we seem to have around us these days.

Looks like you're another stupid **** who thinks that the achievement of
the last few days in the Olympics is entirely due to the individual
athletes and their achievements and nothing to do with the individual
sports organisations and their officials

Try the guy who won the clay shooting, though. UK Sport pulled his
funding four years ago.

And did ARW fill the gap?

Only with CAR BODY FILLER!!!

Yes?

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
I think despite the critics, people are telling me that the organisation of
the Olympics has been very good so far with the result that people are
happy at the venues etc. Of course there has been the odd breakdown on the
underground, but apparently the back up systems and staff have been
informed about them.

Yup,

We were at the Olympic Park on Friday. It was the first day of the main
stadium being used, and along with this weekend, probably the busiest
days there. Sure it was busy, esp, when the morning athletics finished
and 70,000 people or whatever came out and there were some queues for
things, but nothing bad really, things like toilets, water fountains
etc. seemed to be able to cope.

And for all the talks of security causing problems/queues, we got in
quickly as we were there pretty much when it opened, but even those who
came in a bit later, said it was ok, and they didn't have to queue very
long. But then there must be well over 100 airport style scanners and
xray machines (manned very efficiently of course mostly by soldiers).

But it was a great day, the vibe just being around the park is great. If
anyone gets the chance to pick up some tickets, get them and go. You
won't regret it.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2012 22:40, Jim Newman wrote:
On 04/08/2012 01:37, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/08/2012 00:51, Jim Newman wrote:

I read it as ARW was claiming some isolated position in 'feeling proud'
of 'his' country. As though he'd done something special himself.
"Is there anyone else OTHER THAN ME that is proud of this country" is a
very self centred question.

I suspect the "other than me" is just a reaction to be surrounded by so
many truly miserable ****es...

But he IS the miserable ****e!

Sorry, perhaps I was not being clear. I was implying that you Jim were
being miserable.

Of the various posts that have appeared in this group recently (see the
"OT: The Olympic Games" thread for example) with the general theme of
"the country is going to the dogs", "Olympics are a wast of time/money
etc". I don't recall Adam being the source of any of them. In fact most
of his posts have championed the games.

Perhaps you would care to provide a reference to the posts you seem to
think you have read?

Also I was not aware that pride in one's country or the achievements of
its athletes actually required that one had personally assisted in their
achievement. However you seem to suggest it is, but then go on to claim
pride yourself. Perhaps we should hold you to your own standards and
question what your personal contribution has been?

You said "ARW is one of the people who regularl y knocks the people of
GB and their achievements" (sic), again there seems to be little
evidence of this. Plenty of others posts are far more negative. Would
you care to provide some evidence? Is it just that you have a crush on
ARW? (not wishing to disappoint, but I get the impression that folks
named "Jim" are not usually his type)

Now let's move on to your contributions Jim. In this group people earn
respect by their contributions; helping others, posting useful
information, solving problems, making worthwhile contributions to the
faq / wiki etc. While regulars like Geoff and Adam may not suffer fools
gladly, they have at least been contributing useful stuff for over a
decade. What have you done Jim?

Now unless you are just one of wodney's sock puppets, it would appear
that your entire contribution to usenet so far seems to have been some
20 posts or so, the first being one to call someone a "stupid ****",
then several more to this thread to have a pop at various others. Unless
you can dramatically add some value to your contributions you will
rapidly find your outpourings awarded the same respect as that given the
other oxygen thieves that lurk under stones round here.

So which is it to be Jim, useful contributor, or kill file fodder?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

[...]

I would, even if the tickets were free.

I'd keep kicking myself for wasting any time at all at something like
that, looking at fools that had mostly spent a significant part of their
pathetically inadequate 'lives' qualifying to even show up there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
chris French wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

[...]

To be fair the chances of watching your home team win a gold are pretty slim

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote
Rod Speed wrote
chris French wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

[...]

I wouldn’t give a flying red **** if they won them all.

That would be the completely superfluous proof
that they are all drug cheats, just like all yours are.

Only fools like you are actually stupid enough to
cream your jeans every time your country wins one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 15:40:02 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

I'd keep kicking myself for wasting any time at all at something like
that, looking at fools that had mostly spent a significant part of their
pathetically inadequate 'lives' qualifying to even show up there.

I wouldn't put it quite like that as I think it's up to each person to
decide and do what they want, what they have to, what they like or
what they are good at, even if that means just staring at the moon.

I think the whole thought of putting up something like the Olympics is
all a bit bizarre. What actually is it? It's a competition between a
tiny minority of the population who are interested in those particular
things and can be bothered (or get the opportunity) to do it (and as
you say, 'dedicate their lives to it' in many cases). So?

Fact, for every_single_sport, there *will* be someone out there who
could be better.

And what is the difference between 'The Olympics' and 'Guinness World
Records'? Why is running 100m any more of a 'life achievement than
throwing the most ovens in one minute or rolling up the most frying
pans?

There are those things of course that do relate to the real world.
Like if you can throw a spear a long way and keep it accurate you are
more likely to bring home the bacon than the next guy but what if the
next guy is 'better' at starting a fire to cook it on? Do they also
hold 'championships for that? Why shouldn't those people also be
recognised? How many of us could be 'champions' at cutting in a metal
back box into a brick wall? Why shouldn't skills, honed over decades
also be recognised thus?

And that brings me back to the fact that we seem to become 'fanatical'
with our 'support' for these 'athletes' whilst (probably, for many at
least (but not here of course g)) completely forgetting all those
'firelighters' not only just doing their jobs every day but *actually*
doing something that helps others and is needed (and I guess that's
why as abstract as it was, mentioning the likes of the NHS in the
opening ceremony was a 'good thing'). Does it really bring people
together? Are community's going to unite after the games and continue
the 'Olympic spirit ... ?

I get it ... I get it in that I understand how and why we have come to
do what we do with the likes of the Olympics but I don't get it as in
the fundamental desire to. I guess I don't get the point or the hype.

Isn't watching someone row 100m like watching someone row 100 virtual
m in a gym? I'm sure you can race these gym rowing machines these days
so shouldn't it be on telly? And why would you want to watch someone
doing that sort of thing in any case? I love rowing but I have no
interest watching someone else doing it? But then I don't watch /
follow any competitions at anything. I compete (so I get that bit),
but I don't watch others competing. Ok, I guess it's also 'good' for
England that we gave done well, but who actually cares? What are we
(as in England) going to get now because of it ...[2] both the country
and the citizens? Or do you have to have this tribal / gang thing
within before you can have a 'side' and then support it? [1]

Maybe that's where we all obese these days, we count watching someone
else exercise as exercising (when we say we are 'into sport')?

So, whilst I can see there can be some good come out of such a
spectacle, if it actually encourages people to go out for a run, or
get their bike out etc but to have this 'dream' of being the best at
'hop, skip and jump' ... "from when I was 7" ... really? Especially
when you will never know if you really were the best in any case ... ?

Oh well, it will soon all be over and I can turn the tell back on
again. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] I do 'get' fun / amateur competition. Jumpers for goalposts, a
round of golf with your mates or even a game of darts down the pub. I
guess for me it's when people take that and turn what is only / ever
'a game', 'a sport' and mutate it into something bigger than it really
should be (IMHO of course).

[2] Personally, I would much rather they spent the same money they
spent The Olympics, opening up our existing waterways across the
country and providing facility's for *everyone* to actually go out and
do this stuff. Not just those who happen to stumble into it but give
everyone a chance to not just give it a go but to be able to carry on
doing so (free / cheap) if they so choose. We don't need one
velodrome, we need thousands of miles of cycle paths and good bikes to
ride on them. We don't want a huge sports stadium we want free gyms
across the country. With limited cash, we all need better facilitieS,
not a great facilitY.

(Sorry about that. I feel better now). ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
chris French wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

[...]

hahahahaha, in spades?
LOL.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

If life get's that bad that I ever need pity from the likes of Jim I shall
kill myself.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Newman wrote:
Fair enough; if I want a fence putting up (and can't be arsed to DIY
it) I'll call Adam

Well that shows what a think **** you really are.

Although I can install fences that is not what I do for a living.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I'd keep kicking myself for wasting any time at all at something like
that, looking at fools that had mostly spent a significant part of their
pathetically inadequate 'lives' qualifying to even show up there.

I wouldn't put it quite like that as I think it's up to each person to
decide and do what they want, what they have to, what they like or
what they are good at, even if that means just staring at the moon.

The trouble with that line is that when its something completely stupid like
whipping yourself etc, all I can do is sneer at fools that pathetically
inadequate.

And that goes for the fools that are actually stupid enough
to grovel to some damned god or other for the whole of
their pathetically inadequate 'lives' when the whole thing
is just some very comprehensive mind **** in the first place.

I think the whole thought of putting up something like the Olympics
is all a bit bizarre. What actually is it? It's a competition between a
tiny minority of the population who are interested in those particular
things and can be bothered (or get the opportunity) to do it

And who happen to have the genes that let them do better than others.

(and as you say, 'dedicate their lives to it' in many cases). So?

Fact, for every_single_sport, there *will* be
someone out there who could be better.

And when the difference between silver and gold can be just 1/100th of a
second.

And the result can be reversed the next day.

Wota packa terminal ****wits.

Then there are the fools like Adam that cream their jeans
when the one that flukes out with the best result happens
to currently be in the country that he is etc.

How ****ing pathetic can you get ?

And what is the difference between 'The Olympics' and
'Guinness World Records'? Why is running 100m any
more of a 'life achievement than throwing the most
ovens in one minute or rolling up the most frying pans?

Indeed.

There are those things of course that do relate to the real world.
Like if you can throw a spear a long way and keep it accurate
you are more likely to bring home the bacon than the next guy

Not anymore. What its now about is who can find what they need
on the net instead. Corse that doesn't make it to the olympics.

Even with something like chess, who actually gives a flying red
**** who can play something like that better than anyone else ?

but what if the next guy is 'better' at starting a fire to cook it on?
Do they also hold 'championships for that? Why shouldn't those
people also be recognised? How many of us could be 'champions'
at cutting in a metal back box into a brick wall? Why shouldn't
skills, honed over decades also be recognised thus?

I don't actually give a flying red **** about recognition myself.

I know that some of the time I can do a much better
job of something than anyone else I know, and that
at other times I'm completely ****ing hopeless like
at writing poetry or dancing the fandango etc.

Or even at being polite to fools like Adam |-)

And that brings me back to the fact that we seem to become
'fanatical' with our 'support' for these 'athletes' whilst (probably,
for many at least (but not here of course g)) completely
forgetting all those 'firelighters' not only just doing their
jobs every day but *actually* doing something that helps
others and is needed (and I guess that's why as abstract
as it was, mentioning the likes of the NHS in the opening
ceremony was a 'good thing'). Does it really bring people
together? Are community's going to unite after the games
and continue the 'Olympic spirit ... ?

I get it ... I get it in that I understand how and why we have come to
do what we do with the likes of the Olympics but I don't get it as in
the fundamental desire to. I guess I don't get the point or the hype.

I don't even see any point in any sport at all myself.

In spades with watching someone else do it.

Isn't watching someone row 100m like watching someone row
100 virtual m in a gym? I'm sure you can race these gym rowing
machines these days so shouldn't it be on telly?

Just watched a doco where the stupid south koreans do just that.
http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2012/s3557618.htm

And why would you want to watch someone
doing that sort of thing in any case?

Because you have a pathetically inadequate 'life' presumably.

I love rowing but I have no interest watching someone else doing
it? But then I don't watch / follow any competitions at anything.

I don't ever compete at anything either.

I compete (so I get that bit),

I don't.

but I don't watch others competing. Ok, I guess it's also 'good' for
England that we gave done well, but who actually cares? What are
we (as in England) going to get now because of it ...[2] both the
country and the citizens? Or do you have to have this tribal / gang
thing within before you can have a 'side' and then support it? [1]

Maybe that's where we all obese these days,

I'm not. I'm right in the middle of the ideal BMI range.

we count watching someone else exercise
as exercising (when we say we are 'into sport')?

I think obesity is more about modern food being
much more calorie dense than traditional food was.

I don't even think its got that much to do with exercise either.

So, whilst I can see there can be some good come
out of such a spectacle, if it actually encourages
people to go out for a run, or get their bike out etc

I've seen no evidence that it does.

And hordes are out walking on the streets at all times
of night and day where I live, you have to be a bit careful
at sunup and sundown because they mostly do walk on
the roads because we have **** all in the way of footpaths.

but to have this 'dream' of being the best at 'hop, skip
and jump' ... "from when I was 7" ... really? Especially when
you will never know if you really were the best in any case ... ?

And all those who make it to the olympics are are the best
at ****ing their pathetic excuses for 'lives' against the wall
on something that completely pointless at anyway.

Oh well, it will soon all be over and I can turn the tell back on again.
;-)

I only watch stuff I've recorded and the only effect that the
olympics has is that a couple of free to air TV channels aren't
worth even bothering to check the EPG for the duration.

[1] I do 'get' fun / amateur competition.

I don't, and never have.

Jumpers for goalposts, a round of golf with your
mates or even a game of darts down the pub.

Never bothered with any of that.

I did manage to infect quite a few of those I knew with the
house building bug when I built my own from scratch tho.

I guess for me it's when people take that and turn
what is only / ever 'a game', 'a sport' and mutate it into
something bigger than it really should be (IMHO of course).

I'm not humble either |-)

[2] Personally, I would much rather they spent the same money they
spent The Olympics, opening up our existing waterways across the
country and providing facility's for *everyone* to actually go out and
do this stuff. Not just those who happen to stumble into it but give
everyone a chance to not just give it a go but to be able to carry on
doing so (free / cheap) if they so choose. We don't need one velodrome,
we need thousands of miles of cycle paths and good bikes to ride on them.

Not into that stuff myself. I prefer to walk and do that well out of
town, basically because I find walking in the burbs too boring.

We don't want a huge sports stadium
we want free gyms across the country.

We do have something like that. The ****ing great
multilevel mega oval has a heap of exercise machines
out in the open that you are free to use any time you like.

Don't use them myself.

With limited cash, we all need better facilitieS,

We don't. The facilitys are pretty decent and we have
just built some for the kids too, free for anyone to use.

not a great facilitY.

(Sorry about that. I feel better now). ;-)

Adam doesn't appear to have burst a blood vessel or anything |-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

snip

So, that's why you come here and type ********. Your life is so dull and
boring and you're interested in bugger-all and there's no point in anything.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_methods
You know you want to, give us a friggin break, in spades.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

8

My theory is "Rod" is Dribble after a lobotomy...

Could anyone survive two?

TNP seems to manage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

I'll give you a hint. He posts under the name Ron Speed

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 19:53:24 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

general snippage

I think the whole thought of putting up something like the Olympics
is all a bit bizarre. What actually is it? It's a competition between a
tiny minority of the population who are interested in those particular
things and can be bothered (or get the opportunity) to do it

And who happen to have the genes that let them do better than others.

Yup, there is that as well. Isn't it a shame to set yourself some
arbitrary goal of winning something when, (as you say), because of
your genes there would never be the chance of winning.

(and as you say, 'dedicate their lives to it' in many cases). So?

Fact, for every_single_sport, there *will* be
someone out there who could be better.

And when the difference between silver and gold can be just 1/100th of a
second.

Yup, g, gold and 1/100th of a second later you are a nobody.

And the result can be reversed the next day.

Or on the re-run the same day. It's not a race therefore, it's a
Lottery?

Wota packa terminal ****wits.

Well, I wouldn't go that far but it does seem a bit bizarre to me. ;-)

There are those things of course that do relate to the real world.
Like if you can throw a spear a long way and keep it accurate
you are more likely to bring home the bacon than the next guy

Not anymore.

Well, I think there may still be a few groups / cultures who survive
that way?

What its now about is who can find what they need
on the net instead.

;-)

Corse that doesn't make it to the olympics.

Quite.

Even with something like chess, who actually gives a flying red
**** who can play something like that better than anyone else ?

'Them' I guess and I have no issue with that. If people want to
compete amongst themselves then that's fine (as long as they don't
interfere with me) so I guess it's the thought of it being anyone's
'job' that get's me.

but what if the next guy is 'better' at starting a fire to cook it on?
Do they also hold 'championships for that? Why shouldn't those
people also be recognised? How many of us could be 'champions'
at cutting in a metal back box into a brick wall? Why shouldn't
skills, honed over decades also be recognised thus?

I don't actually give a flying red **** about recognition myself.

No? Don't you think it's 'nice' though when someone comments on some
work you have done and says 'nice job'? I'm not saying you / we do it
for that but if you are doing it anyway (because it needs doing rather
than you just waning to do it 'because' as such)?

I mean the difference between someone saying "nice job" for a neat
fence or car body repair rather than running 100m to nowhere faster
than the next guy? (Especially so when they are 'experienced' in such
fields themselves)? [1]

I get it ... I get it in that I understand how and why we have come to
do what we do with the likes of the Olympics but I don't get it as in
the fundamental desire to. I guess I don't get the point or the hype.

I don't even see any point in any sport at all myself.

Nor can I for most of it, however I can see why *other people* might.
Just as you might only be good at say 'building stuff', they aren't,
but they may be good a vaulting over a pole (however useless that may
be today. H&S won't even let you get on the roof that way any more!).

In spades with watching someone else do it.

Quite.

Isn't watching someone row 100m like watching someone row
100 virtual m in a gym? I'm sure you can race these gym rowing
machines these days so shouldn't it be on telly?

Just watched a doco where the stupid south koreans do just that.
http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2012/s3557618.htm

Again, I've done quite a bit of online gaming myself (single player
and part of a 'Team') and it was cool because *I* was actually doing
it. Not sure I've ever (seriously) watched anyone else doing it past
learning how to get past a tricky bit maybe.

And why would you want to watch someone
doing that sort of thing in any case?

Because you have a pathetically inadequate 'life' presumably.

weg

but I don't watch others competing. Ok, I guess it's also 'good' for
England that we gave done well, but who actually cares? What are
we (as in England) going to get now because of it ...[2] both the
country and the citizens? Or do you have to have this tribal / gang
thing within before you can have a 'side' and then support it? [1]

Maybe that's where we all obese these days,

I'm not. I'm right in the middle of the ideal BMI range.

It was a 'Royal' 'we'. ;-)

we count watching someone else exercise
as exercising (when we say we are 'into sport')?

I think obesity is more about modern food being
much more calorie dense than traditional food was.

I'm sure that's a big part of it.

I don't even think its got that much to do with exercise either.

Well, only that we can indulge ourselves in such high calorie foods
and then burn it off afterwards (or were you talking about 'sport' as
such)?

So, whilst I can see there can be some good come
out of such a spectacle, if it actually encourages
people to go out for a run, or get their bike out etc

I've seen no evidence that it does.

I think I heard suggestion of their being more cyclists on the roads
these days? Not sure if that is because of exercise or just a side
effect of the 'cutbacks' as such?

And hordes are out walking on the streets at all times
of night and day where I live, you have to be a bit careful
at sunup and sundown because they mostly do walk on
the roads because we have **** all in the way of footpaths.

There you go. That's where some of that 'Olympic' money could have
gone.

but to have this 'dream' of being the best at 'hop, skip
and jump' ... "from when I was 7" ... really? Especially when
you will never know if you really were the best in any case ... ?

And all those who make it to the olympics are are the best
at ****ing their pathetic excuses for 'lives' against the wall
on something that completely pointless at anyway.

hehe Not sure if I'd agree if it was just a hobby for them, or they
just did it for fun, for themselves. But then I'm not into 'Live
entertainment' much either (it often seems 'flawed' which of course it
is). I don't mind a film where the bad bits have been edited out.

Oh well, it will soon all be over and I can turn the tell back on again.
;-)

I only watch stuff I've recorded and the only effect that the
olympics has is that a couple of free to air TV channels aren't
worth even bothering to check the EPG for the duration.

We do that quite a bit normally. Timeshift TV. ;-)

[1] I do 'get' fun / amateur competition.

I don't, and never have.

Never played darts, cards, raced yer mate to the pub or yer kids
across a park?

Jumpers for goalposts, a round of golf with your
mates or even a game of darts down the pub.

Never bothered with any of that.

Me neither (those ones) but I do 'get' the competition thing.

I did manage to infect quite a few of those I knew with the
house building bug when I built my own from scratch tho.

I wonder if there was any 'competition' there to do it better, quicker
or cheaper?

I guess for me it's when people take that and turn
what is only / ever 'a game', 'a sport' and mutate it into
something bigger than it really should be (IMHO of course).

I'm not humble either |-)

I've noticed. ;-)

[2] Personally, I would much rather they spent the same money they
spent The Olympics, opening up our existing waterways across the
country and providing facility's for *everyone* to actually go out and
do this stuff. Not just those who happen to stumble into it but give
everyone a chance to not just give it a go but to be able to carry on
doing so (free / cheap) if they so choose. We don't need one velodrome,
we need thousands of miles of cycle paths and good bikes to ride on them.

Not into that stuff myself. I prefer to walk and do that well out of
town, basically because I find walking in the burbs too boring.

Still, the same can apply, even in the burbs (and as you mention
elsewhere with people on the road dawn / dusk etc). Take the Olympic
money and make a dual-use pavement for real everyday people to help
them get about better and safer?

We don't want a huge sports stadium
we want free gyms across the country.

We do have something like that.

We do?

The ****ing great
multilevel mega oval has a heap of exercise machines
out in the open that you are free to use any time you like.

Where is this then?

Don't use them myself.

Not sure how many of them I would but it might be nice to at least try
a verity.

With limited cash, we all need better facilitieS,

We don't.

We don't?

The facilitys are pretty decent and we have
just built some for the kids too, free for anyone to use.

They still exist though and I'm saying we need more (as you say,
especially for the kids). [2]

Cheers, T i m

[1] A tiler, here to do another role spotted my tiling and asked who
did it? I said 'me' and he added 'nice job but I bet that took you a
while?' (It took me whatever time it took to do a 'nice job'). ;-)

This would be in contrast to the dear old lady neighbour saying 'you
are making a good gob of that' when she observed me putting up a new
fence at the front. Whilst I accepted the comment in the spirit it was
given I'm not sure just how much skill she had re judging if it was
really good or not.

[2] And I don't just mean some patch of tarmac behind an industrial
estate, I'm talking a proper (say) skate park, properly manned and
maintained.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

8

My theory is "Rod" is Dribble after a lobotomy...

Could anyone survive two?

TNP seems to manage.

dennis won't survive without one soon

The delusions are taking over.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

I know that some of the time I can do a much better
job of something than anyone else I know, and that
at other times I'm completely ****ing hopeless like
at writing poetry or dancing the fandango etc.

The only thing you are capable of doing better than anyone else is talking
******** and ****ing things up.

Or even at being polite to fools like Adam |-)

You don't have to be polite to me. If you think I am a **** then just say
so. I think that you are a steaming great **** I just have not yet called
you one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes
I don't even see any point in any sport at all myself.

Sport, sport, masculine sport
equips a young man for society
yes sport turns out a jolly good sort
its an odd boy who doesn't like sport

(bet that confuses odd boy speed)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Rod Speed
writes
I don't even see any point in any sport at all myself.

Sport, sport, masculine sport
equips a young man for society
yes sport turns out a jolly good sort
its an odd boy who doesn't like sport

(bet that confuses odd boy speed)

An odd name for someone that is slow.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Jim Newman
writes
I read it as ARW was claiming some isolated position in
'feeling proud' of 'his' country. As though he'd done something
special himself. "Is there anyone else OTHER THAN ME that is
proud of this country" is a very self centred question.

But he's done **** all; so, in a very real sense, don't you
think he's worthy of pity?

Apart from the opening, I haven't watched any of it.
Yes I feel proud to be British. It's better than being a Yankor a
pac1. And much better than being a Frog or a Bruce.

If you don't feel proud to be British, why don't you F off
somewhere else? Miserable git.

You talking to me? I'm very proud to be British

Which is why I get ****ed off at people (like ARW) who regularly
knock the people who work behind the scenes in GB to make things
like this happen.

ARW is one of the people who regularl y knocks the people of GB and
their achievements (just re-read his posts); now he claims to be the
only person "Is there anyone other than me ..." who is supporting
GB.
Adam does useful work, unlike a lot of the useless overpaid
parasites we seem to have around us these days.

Looks like you're another stupid **** who thinks that the
achievement of the last few days in the Olympics is entirely due to
the individual athletes and their achievements and nothing to do
with the individual sports organisations and their officials

If you were to think about it; these are the self same 'parasites'
who organise things so that bigger and better things happen.

However, since you're as dull witted as ARW, you fail to see that
there are some people who who have bigger vision than you and Adam,
so you discount their organisational abilities.

Adam does useful work, unlike a lot of the useless overpaid
parasites
we seem to have around us these days.

Fair enough; if I want a fence putting up (and can't be arsed to DIY
it) I'll call Adam, if I want success at Olympic sports I'll call a
proper professional.

ARW had **** all to do with any achievements done by athletes today

If there was a gold medal for making things up, you'd be right up
there
as it is, nobody seems to have written what you imagine they have

and ... if you want a fence putting up, this NG is all about doing it
yourself not getting a man in, you stupid ****.

And ... I'm not sure I've ever seen a useful contribution to this NG
from you

It is easier to buy rocking horse **** than it is to find a useful post made
by Jim.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Newman wrote:
On 04/08/2012 00:52, ARWadsworth wrote:
Jim Newman wrote:
On 04/08/2012 00:04, ARWadsworth wrote:
Jim Newman wrote:
On 03/08/2012 22:48, ARWadsworth wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Su...cs_medal_table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Su...cs_medal_table

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/...dals/countries

The Aussies are not doing very well:-)

The vainglorious brit who has done **** all himself but
wonders if he's the 'only person feeling proud' is a real
object of pity

Nothing positive to post then?

Do let us know how you personally helped any of the medal winning
heroes.

If acting like a **** was an olympic sport then you would win a gold

I doubt you're still in school, so I really would have expected a
better response than that.

But really; what the **** have YOU done towards the brilliant
achievements of the GB athletes? Have you been involved with a 'plan
for development of potential of inner city juniors in Athletics', or
maybe you Fitted a plug for a hair drier? Anything?

Which is why I'd really like to hear why YOU think that YOU have some
unique position in feeling proud of this country

As I am such a polite person then I believe that I should let you go first.
It's the sporting thing to do.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Newman wrote:
On 04/08/2012 08:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
I think despite the critics, people are telling me that the
organisation of the Olympics has been very good so far with the
result that people are happy at the venues etc. Of course there has
been the odd breakdown on the underground, but apparently the back
up systems and staff have been informed about them.
Lets hope all of this good practice and helpfulness is not
forgotten after its all over.

Brian

Yes; so the fact that ARW is one of the biggest critics of 'the way we
run things' and then purporting to ask "Is there anyone other than me"
proud of GB achievements is just WRONG

Other than having a good wank and using me as the object of your affections
do you have anything useful to say?

I will always slag off ******* (ie you) and I will always support someone
that gives 100% (ie your carers)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote
T i m wrote

I think the whole thought of putting up something like the Olympics
is all a bit bizarre. What actually is it? It's a competition between a
tiny minority of the population who are interested in those particular
things and can be bothered (or get the opportunity) to do it

And who happen to have the genes that let them do better than others.

Yup, there is that as well. Isn't it a shame to set yourself some
arbitrary goal of winning something when, (as you say), because
of your genes there would never be the chance of winning.

And it looks like that even something as basic as whether repeated
training works to improve the result you get has a substantial genetic
component too.

[...]

Not really. I can't think of any that use spears for that anymore
who do depend on what they can spear for survival. And it isnt
throwing it a long way that matters either, its being able to get
close enough to the target to spear it successfully even with
those that still spear what they want to eat today.

What its now about is who can find what they need
on the net instead.

;-)

Corse that doesn't make it to the olympics.

Quite.

Even with something like chess, who actually gives a flying red
**** who can play something like that better than anyone else ?

'Them' I guess and I have no issue with that. If people want to compete
amongst themselves then that's fine (as long as they don't interfere with
me)

I still sneer at those who decide that the silliest stuff like whipping
yourself is a sensible thing to devote your pathetic excuse for a life to.

so I guess it's the thought of it being anyone's 'job' that get's me.

That too. Tho I consider what you devote your life too as more significant.

but what if the next guy is 'better' at starting a fire to cook it on?
Do they also hold 'championships for that? Why shouldn't those
people also be recognised? How many of us could be 'champions'
at cutting in a metal back box into a brick wall? Why shouldn't
skills, honed over decades also be recognised thus?

I don't actually give a flying red **** about recognition myself.

No?

Nope, tho I realise that most do.

Don't you think it's 'nice' though when someone comments
on some work you have done and says 'nice job'?

Nope, I know whether I have done that or not, I don't need
anyone to recognise that.

I'm not saying you / we do it for that but if you are doing it anyway
(because
it needs doing rather than you just waning to do it 'because' as such)?

I really don't care if it gets recognition or not.

I mean the difference between someone saying "nice job" for a neat
fence or car body repair rather than running 100m to nowhere faster
than the next guy? (Especially so when they are 'experienced' in such
fields themselves)? [1]

Nope, I know whether I did a good job or not, and I also know when
its worth putting more effort into a better job and when its not worth
the trouble and when near enough is good enough etc.

If I had done one of the more revolutionary ideas like Einstein had
done, the last thing I would give a damn about is something like the
Nobel Prize etc. That would just waste my time on a formal ceremony,
the sort of thing I really hate wasting my time on, and I would have to
field lots of phone calls from stupid journalists who wouldn't actually
have a ****ing clue about what I had actually done etc.

I wouldn't even give a damn about a standing ovation at a conference
of my peers that understood the significance of what I had done either.

I might be interested in spelling out how I was treated in school to
try and put a bomb under the education system so others wouldn't
be treated like he was in school in the future, but that's a very forlorn
hope even if you could find someone who could spell that out to the
world in a very effective and succinct way.

I get it ... I get it in that I understand how and why we have come to
do what we do with the likes of the Olympics but I don't get it as in
the fundamental desire to. I guess I don't get the point or the hype.

I don't even see any point in any sport at all myself.

Nor can I for most of it, however I can see why *other people* might.
Just as you might only be good at say 'building stuff', they aren't, but
they may be good a vaulting over a pole (however useless that may
be today. H&S won't even let you get on the roof that way any more!).

There is nothing to stop me doing it again.

In fact I did all the electrical wiring and got licensed
electrician to claim he did it all, completely illegal here.

[...]

Turns out that the obese kids get just
as much exercise as the skinny ones.

(or were you talking about 'sport' as such)?

Nope, just activity in general.

So, whilst I can see there can be some good come
out of such a spectacle, if it actually encourages
people to go out for a run, or get their bike out etc

I've seen no evidence that it does.

I think I heard suggestion of their being
more cyclists on the roads these days?

Yes, there certainly are, but that's not due to the olympics.

There are certainly a hell of a lot more walking for exercise
on the roads these days too, but again that's got nothing
whatever to do with the olympics or any sport at all either.

Not sure if that is because of exercise or just a side
effect of the 'cutbacks' as such?

It must be the exercise, because we haven't had
any of the cutbacks ourselves, we didn't even get
a recession because of the complete implosion
of much of the world's financial system.

And hordes are out walking on the streets at all times
of night and day where I live, you have to be a bit careful
at sunup and sundown because they mostly do walk on
the roads because we have **** all in the way of footpaths.

There you go. That's where some of that
'Olympic' money could have gone.

True. We have had some added recently, but that was because
the govt decided that we might see some effects from the
complete implosion of the world financial system and they
started spending money to try to avoid that result.

Its still **** all of the roads that people walk on, wouldn't even
be 0.5% of the roads.

but to have this 'dream' of being the best at 'hop, skip
and jump' ... "from when I was 7" ... really? Especially when
you will never know if you really were the best in any case ... ?

And all those who make it to the olympics are are the best
at ****ing their pathetic excuses for 'lives' against the wall
on something that completely pointless at anyway.

hehe Not sure if I'd agree if it was just a hobby
for them, or they just did it for fun, for themselves.

Sure, but they don't devote their lives to it, its
just a small part of their lives. That's not true with
olympians, except when they have retired etc.

But then I'm not into 'Live entertainment' much either

Yeah, I've never bothered with any of it myself.

The most I ever bother with is air shows etc.

That's one area where the real thing can leave the
same thing on video for dead, like when the F/A 18
flys over at 50' and then heads straight up in the
air with the jet exhaust pouring into the crowd etc.

I can still remember a Vulcan doing it 40 years or more ago now.

(it often seems 'flawed' which of course it is). I don't
mind a film where the bad bits have been edited out.

Sure, you can certainly get a much better view in video
than you ever can in real life with lots of things.

Oh well, it will soon all be over and I can turn the tell back on again.
;-)

I only watch stuff I've recorded and the only effect that the
olympics has is that a couple of free to air TV channels aren't
worth even bothering to check the EPG for the duration.

We do that quite a bit normally. Timeshift TV. ;-)

[1] I do 'get' fun / amateur competition.

I don't, and never have.

Never played darts, cards,

I did when I was a kid, but don't anymore.

raced yer mate to the pub

Nope, don't bother with pubs, I prefer to drink
at my place or a mates place and preferred that
even before I started brewing my own beer.

or yer kids across a park?

Doing what kids want to do is different.

I certainly don't give a damn about who wins etc.

Jumpers for goalposts, a round of golf with your
mates or even a game of darts down the pub.

Never bothered with any of that.

Me neither (those ones) but I do 'get' the competition thing.

I did manage to infect quite a few of those I knew with the
house building bug when I built my own from scratch tho.

I wonder if there was any 'competition'
there to do it better, quicker or cheaper?

Not for me. I know I did mine much better than they did.

Only one of them actually physically built most of the house
himself like I did and he's not a patch on me quality of work wise.

One of my mates is better than I am at stuff done on a lathe etc
and can make you a handgun out of metal out of the rack any
time you want one etc. Leaves me for dead at that sort of thing.

But he's completely hopeless at anything electrical or electronic,
just doesn't get it with stuff he can't actually see. In spades with
computing.

[...]

Yeah, that would certainly be a much better use of the money.

And another mate of mine got run over when walking and
that pretty comprehensively ****ed over his life for a long time.

We don't want a huge sports stadium
we want free gyms across the country.

We do have something like that.

We do?

My town, not yours.

The ****ing great multilevel mega oval has a heap of exercise
machines out in the open that you are free to use any time you like.

Where is this then?

Country town in Australia, population 25K.

Don't use them myself.

Not sure how many of them I would but
it might be nice to at least try a verity.

I don't even ride a bike myself.

With limited cash, we all need better facilitieS,

We don't.

We don't?

I meant my town.

The facilitys are pretty decent and we have just
built some for the kids too, free for anyone to use.

They still exist though and I'm saying we need more (as you say,
especially for the kids). [2]

[1] A tiler, here to do another role spotted my tiling and asked who
did it? I said 'me' and he added 'nice job but I bet that took you a
while?' (It took me whatever time it took to do a 'nice job'). ;-)

I did find it hilarious when the local council told the builders in
my town to look at how I had done the reinforcing mesh for the
concrete slab for the house, because that's how it should be done.

I just did it the way its sposed to be done with bar chairs holding
the mesh up so it ends up at the right level in the concrete.

The local builders don't bother with them and just hook the
mesh up with a long metal hook thing as the concrete is
poured. The council hates that approach because they can't
check what height the mesh is hooked up to at pour time.

This would be in contrast to the dear old lady neighbour
saying 'you are making a good gob of that' when she
observed me putting up a new fence at the front. Whilst I
accepted the comment in the spirit it was given I'm not sure just
how much skill she had re judging if it was really good or not.

I don't care even when I know they are an expert at it.

I know if I did a good job or not, I don't need anyone to tell me that.

[2] And I don't just mean some patch of tarmac behind
an industrial estate, I'm talking a proper (say) skate park,
properly manned and maintained.

We don't man ours. The only one of ours that's manned is the pool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 23:31:33 +0100, Jim Newman wrote:

Oh look, it's a wanking chimpanzee.

Oh look, it's one of the ARW groupies!- that's always such a rewarding
role.

Sorry, but you've displayed what a total tosser you really are. Go on
and enjoy yourself, it costs nothing. Why don't you pick up some ****e
to throw as well?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 05:19:02 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Don't you think it's 'nice' though when someone comments
on some work you have done and says 'nice job'?

Nope, I know whether I have done that or not, I don't need
anyone to recognise that.

I guess that may depend on if you are doing things you are trained for
(competition / experienced_at) and I wasn't talking about 'need'.

I'm not saying you / we do it for that but if you are doing it anyway
(because
it needs doing rather than you just waning to do it 'because' as such)?

I really don't care if it gets recognition or not.

I wasn't talking about that either. It's not if you care but if you
get any pleasure if someone compliments you on a job 'well done'.
Especially if you respect that person and their own skillis (in that
field).

I mean the difference between someone saying "nice job" for a neat
fence or car body repair rather than running 100m to nowhere faster
than the next guy? (Especially so when they are 'experienced' in such
fields themselves)? [1]

Nope, I know whether I did a good job or not,

'Always'?

and I also know when
its worth putting more effort into a better job and when its not worth
the trouble and when near enough is good enough etc.

It's that last bit I have particular trouble with (myself). Maybe it's
because I've spent most of my working life in IT Support when the
solution generally had to be 'perfect'. However, I'm no perfectionist,
I just like to gee a good and well considered job.

If I had done one of the more revolutionary ideas like Einstein had
done, the last thing I would give a damn about is something like the
Nobel Prize etc. That would just waste my time on a formal ceremony,
the sort of thing I really hate wasting my time on, and I would have to
field lots of phone calls from stupid journalists who wouldn't actually
have a ****ing clue about what I had actually done etc.

Yeah, I sorta get that one. Especially when it's stuff I've 'just
done' whilst doing what I do, rather than because I was trying to
acquire such recognition. Possibly why I don't get the "I've always
want to be an Olympic long jumper".

I wouldn't even give a damn about a standing ovation at a conference
of my peers that understood the significance of what I had done either.

Ok.

I might be interested in spelling out how I was treated in school to
try and put a bomb under the education system so others wouldn't
be treated like he was in school in the future,

Ok?

but that's a very forlorn
hope even if you could find someone who could spell that out to the
world in a very effective and succinct way.

Maybe you have found your life's goal? ;-)

..

?

In fact I did all the electrical wiring and got licensed
electrician to claim he did it all, completely illegal here.

I'm sure most of us (here especially) have done similar where it was
'appropriate' to do so. Like, I ran all the gas, water and electric in
this place 30 years ago because all you had to be was 'competent. Now
I couldn't (officially) to lots of it.

I don't even think its got that much to do with exercise either.

Well, only that we can indulge ourselves in such
high calorie foods and then burn it off afterwards

Turns out that the obese kids get just
as much exercise as the skinny ones.

Oh really? shrug

(or were you talking about 'sport' as such)?

Nope, just activity in general.

Ok.

I think I heard suggestion of their being
more cyclists on the roads these days?

Yes, there certainly are, but that's not due to the olympics.

Ok.

There are certainly a hell of a lot more walking for exercise
on the roads these days too, but again that's got nothing
whatever to do with the olympics or any sport at all either.

Ok.

Not sure if that is because of exercise or just a side
effect of the 'cutbacks' as such?

It must be the exercise, because we haven't had
any of the cutbacks ourselves, we didn't even get
a recession because of the complete implosion
of much of the world's financial system.

Ah, ok, I forgot you weren't 'here'. ;-)

There you go. That's where some of that
'Olympic' money could have gone.

True. We have had some added recently, but that was because
the govt decided that we might see some effects from the
complete implosion of the world financial system and they
started spending money to try to avoid that result.

Better than nothing then.

Its still **** all of the roads that people walk on, wouldn't even
be 0.5% of the roads.

Ok. Mind you, you have probably got a lot of roads over a pretty large
area. It's the same reason I believe ISDN 'took off' in places like
Germany (large towns, spaced well apart) compared with the UK (smaller
towns all over the place)?

hehe Not sure if I'd agree if it was just a hobby
for them, or they just did it for fun, for themselves.

Sure, but they don't devote their lives to it, its
just a small part of their lives. That's not true with
olympians, except when they have retired etc.

True.

But then I'm not into 'Live entertainment' much either

Yeah, I've never bothered with any of it myself.

K.

The most I ever bother with is air shows etc.

Yeah, same here, or military shows and the like, but then that's 'kit'
not people eh. Even watching the likes of The Red Arrows it's more
about the planes and what they do more than the who is doing it
(although that comes into it etc).

That's one area where the real thing can leave the
same thing on video for dead, like when the F/A 18
flys over at 50' and then heads straight up in the
air with the jet exhaust pouring into the crowd etc.

Or a Harrier bowing to you 100' away, 50' from the ground. ;-)

I can still remember a Vulcan doing it 40 years or more ago now.

We hung about after a show just to watch the Herc take off (after
walking though it earlier).

(it often seems 'flawed' which of course it is). I don't
mind a film where the bad bits have been edited out.

Sure, you can certainly get a much better view in video
than you ever can in real life with lots of things.

I watched the (an) Olympic torch being carried past the top of our
road from the comfort of my PC. You saw more of the mechanics of the
whole thing than the small glimpse you would have got, standing on the
kerb. Not sure I got any of the 'spirit watching it that way mind but
I didn't miss it as it all leaves me pretty cold in any case.

Never played darts, cards,

I did when I was a kid, but don't anymore.

At least you 'have'.

raced yer mate to the pub

Nope, don't bother with pubs, I prefer to drink
at my place or a mates place and preferred that
even before I started brewing my own beer.

Similar here (although I have raced mates to the pub and even made the
mistake of 'winning'). ;-)

or yer kids across a park?

Doing what kids want to do is different.

Ah! ;-)

I certainly don't give a damn about who wins etc.

Quite. However, 'you took part'. ;-)

I did manage to infect quite a few of those I knew with the
house building bug when I built my own from scratch tho.

I wonder if there was any 'competition'
there to do it better, quicker or cheaper?

Not for me. I know I did mine much better than they did.

Like I said, they took part. ;-)

Only one of them actually physically built most of the house
himself like I did and he's not a patch on me quality of work wise.

We all have our own skills.

One of my mates is better than I am at stuff done on a lathe etc
and can make you a handgun out of metal out of the rack any
time you want one etc. Leaves me for dead at that sort of thing.

Quite! I love my Myford ML10 and have been able to turn my way out of
issues many-a-time.

But he's completely hopeless at anything electrical or electronic,
just doesn't get it with stuff he can't actually see. In spades with
computing.

Now I'm also ok with most of that as well (I was an electronics tech
and PC man for most of my career). Mostly from the hardware / support
POV than design as such (although I have done a bit of mix_n_match).

Still, the same can apply, even in the burbs (and as you mention
elsewhere with people on the road dawn / dusk etc). Take the
Olympic money and make a dual-use pavement for real
everyday people to help them get about better and safer?

Yeah, that would certainly be a much better use of the money.

And another mate of mine got run over when walking and
that pretty comprehensively ****ed over his life for a long time.

I bet. ;-(

We don't want a huge sports stadium
we want free gyms across the country.

We do have something like that.

We do?

My town, not yours.

Ah, yes, I forgot. I live in Nth London so we now have all the stadium
I didn't want and will probably never use. ;-(

The ****ing great multilevel mega oval has a heap of exercise
machines out in the open that you are free to use any time you like.

Where is this then?

Country town in Australia, population 25K.

Oh, ok.

I don't even ride a bike myself.

Never have or just not since a kid?

[1] A tiler, here to do another role spotted my tiling and asked who
did it? I said 'me' and he added 'nice job but I bet that took you a
while?' (It took me whatever time it took to do a 'nice job'). ;-)

I did find it hilarious when the local council told the builders in
my town to look at how I had done the reinforcing mesh for the
concrete slab for the house, because that's how it should be done.

WEG, Yup, it's nice when that happens eh. ;-)

I just did it the way its sposed to be done with bar chairs holding
the mesh up so it ends up at the right level in the concrete.

Seems 'sensible' to me?

The local builders don't bother with them and just hook the
mesh up with a long metal hook thing as the concrete is
poured. The council hates that approach because they can't
check what height the mesh is hooked up to at pour time.

Nope.

I know if I did a good job or not, I don't need anyone to tell me that.

Like I said before, I wasn't talking about 'need'.

[2] And I don't just mean some patch of tarmac behind
an industrial estate, I'm talking a proper (say) skate park,
properly manned and maintained.

We don't man ours. The only one of ours that's manned is the pool.

Maybe if there were any big / professional grade places that were big
enough to attract plenty of people then it might not need manning.
Over here there is often plenty of bullying / crime going on in the
smaller places so the nice kids keep away.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote
T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote
T i m wrote

but what if the next guy is 'better' at starting a fire to cook it on?
Do they also hold 'championships for that? Why shouldn't those
people also be recognised? How many of us could be 'champions'
at cutting in a metal back box into a brick wall? Why shouldn't
skills, honed over decades also be recognised thus?

I don't actually give a flying red **** about recognition myself.

No?

Nope, tho I realise that most do.

Don't you think it's 'nice' though when someone comments
on some work you have done and says 'nice job'?

Nope, I know whether I have done that or not,
I don't need anyone to recognise that.

I guess that may depend on if you are doing things
you are trained for (competition / experienced_at)

Not in my case. I designed and built my own house from
scratch, on just a bare block of land. I had never had any
training in anything like that or experience either.

I don't care what anyone else thinks, it suits me fine.

and I wasn't talking about 'need'.

Sure. I basically don't care if anyone else thinks
it's a good job or not I know if it is myself.

I'm not saying you / we do it for that but if you are
doing it anyway (because it needs doing rather than
you just waning to do it 'because' as such)?

I really don't care if it gets recognition or not.

I wasn't talking about that either.

I was getting that word from your original now right at the top.

It's not if you care but if you get any pleasure if
someone compliments you on a job 'well done'.

No I don't.

Especially if you respect that person
and their own skillis (in that field).

Not even then. I know if its well done or not.

I mean the difference between someone saying "nice job"
for a neat fence or car body repair rather than running 100m
to nowhere faster than the next guy? (Especially so when
they are 'experienced' in such fields themselves)? [1]

Nope, I know whether I did a good job or not,

'Always'?

Not always, sometimes, particularly with something I
have done for the first time, I can discover a downside
in the particular approach I have taken when it turns out
over time that there is a better way to do something.

and I also know when its worth putting more effort
into a better job and when its not worth the trouble
and when near enough is good enough etc.

It's that last bit I have particular trouble with (myself). Maybe
it's because I've spent most of my working life in IT Support
when the solution generally had to be 'perfect'.

No it doesn't, most obviously when doing a conversion
when something quick and dirty to do the conversion
of the data from one format to another is fine as long
as it gets the job done and there is no possibility that
it will have to be maintained over the long haul by
someone else and so needs to be reasonably elegant
and readable by someone else etc.

I don't even attempt to make something instinctively
obvious to others when it's a tool that I will only be
using myself, particularly when making it very obvious
and intuitive is a lot more work than not doing it that way.

For example I have just redone a timer to allow it to
do repeated alarms every say 3 or 5 mins etc until
cancelled, and its convenient to have that do other
similar stuff like act like a stopwatch and to have
a chime at 5 secs before the minute and on the
minute when resetting clocks after a daylight
saving change.

I cant think for the life of me whats an appropriate
label for the buttons that button that is the stopwatch
button and the one that lets you supply a number
of minutes before hitting the button. Both are superficially
best called timer and calling one of them stopwatch is too
awkward for my taste. So I have labelled the stopwatch
button Start before its pressed and Stop once its pressed
and the other one Timer. That's still unsatisfactorily less that
completely intuitive with the Start button, 'starting what ?'.

Since its just for me, I havent bothered to waste too much
time on that issue and have just left it like that hoping that
sometime a better label might occur to me. Its no big deal.

However, I'm no perfectionist, I just like
to gee a good and well considered job.

So do I, I just don't care if someone else agrees with me that it is that.

The most I sometimes do is wonder why a particular approach
does appeal to me but other hate that approach, why we differ etc.

Same with that other thing being discussed, why some don't mind
the sound of a primary school with the kids enjoying themselves
outside and other consider it to be less than desirable noise etc.

The most I ever do is notice they can be a bit noisy at times.

If I had done one of the more revolutionary ideas like Einstein had
done, the last thing I would give a damn about is something like the
Nobel Prize etc. That would just waste my time on a formal ceremony,
the sort of thing I really hate wasting my time on, and I would have to
field lots of phone calls from stupid journalists who wouldn't actually
have a ****ing clue about what I had actually done etc.

Yeah, I sorta get that one. Especially when it's stuff I've 'just
done' whilst doing what I do, rather than because I was trying
to acquire such recognition. Possibly why I don't get the "I've
always want to be an Olympic long jumper".

Yeah, the only thing I can think of is that they are such pathetically
inadequate people that recognition matters to them.

Tho that's a bit iffy with actors etc. Doesn't make much
sense to be an actor if there is no audience at all.

I wouldn't even give a damn about a standing ovation at a conference
of my peers that understood the significance of what I had done either.

Ok.

I might be interested in spelling out how I was treated in school
to try and put a bomb under the education system so others
wouldn't be treated like he was in school in the future,

Ok?

but that's a very forlorn hope even if you could find someone who
could spell that out to the world in a very effective and succinct way.

Maybe you have found your life's goal? ;-)

Nar, the most I do recognise when I stumble over someone that effective.

We've got one that does that with health issues.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/.../healthreport/

He's another one of yours that's ended up here.

Just as you might only be good at say 'building stuff', they aren't, but
they may be good a vaulting over a pole (however useless that may
be today. H&S won't even let you get on the roof that way any more!).

There is nothing to stop me doing it again.

?

H&S get no say in anything I did building my house.

During the summer I just wore a pair of shorts and
what we call thongs and you lot call flip flops.

The only time that caused me any problem was when I was
up a ladder arc welding the steel verticals that the flat roof
barge boards are bolted to onto the steel roof beams, over
my head. Blob of molten metal fell off and got jammed
between my toes. I didn't bother wearing boots after that,
just a nuisance.

In fact I did all the electrical wiring and got licensed
electrician to claim he did it all, completely illegal here.

I'm sure most of us (here especially) have done similar where it was
'appropriate' to do so. Like, I ran all the gas, water and electric in
this place 30 years ago because all you had to be was 'competent.
Now I couldn't (officially) to lots of it.

I don't even think its got that much to do with exercise either.

Well, only that we can indulge ourselves in such
high calorie foods and then burn it off afterwards

Turns out that the obese kids get just
as much exercise as the skinny ones.

Oh really? shrug

Yeah, surprising statistic.

[...]

Yeah, they are mostly in the higher traffic areas, near the
schools etc and plenty of kids still walk to and from school.

Its still **** all of the roads that people walk on, wouldn't even
be 0.5% of the roads.

Ok. Mind you, you have probably got a lot of roads over a pretty large
area.

Yeah, it's a lot more spread out than most of yours.

There are a few two story houses, but they are certainly
the minority and most are detached houses too.

It's the same reason I believe ISDN 'took off' in places
like Germany (large towns, spaced well apart) compared
with the UK (smaller towns all over the place)?

Dunno, you didn't get that effect in the US for some reason.

[...]

I've been into light aircraft for a hell of a long time now.

Hilarious watching a Herc being backed into its parking
spot under its own power with one of the crew walking
around behind it with a long trailing lead to his headset.
Looked like he was towing it back like a dog on a lead |-)

The other event that was worth a personal visit was the
mega hot air ballonfest we had here one time on that
mega multilevel oval thingo. Hilarious watching the
little kid hanging on to the long leader thing they
run out from the top of the balloon when its still flat
on the ground with the hot air being blown into it.

He must have been all of 6 and appeared to believe
that without him it wouldn't have worked.

[...]

But just because they wanted a house themselves.

Only one of them actually physically built most of the house
himself like I did and he's not a patch on me quality of work wise.

We all have our own skills.

The best one could manage was to paint the outside of the
concrete block place using quite literally a bucket and a broom.

This was the bugger that damned near killed himself at work
when he decided to hose out the place with the big growth
cabinets in it that had the refrigerators and controls in a metal
mesh bay under the cabinets, with the power still turned on.

One of my mates is better than I am at stuff done on a lathe etc
and can make you a handgun out of metal out of the rack any
time you want one etc. Leaves me for dead at that sort of thing.

Quite! I love my Myford ML10 and have been
able to turn my way out of issues many-a-time.

But he's completely hopeless at anything electrical or electronic,
just doesn't get it with stuff he can't actually see. In spades with
computing.

Now I'm also ok with most of that as well (I was an
electronics tech and PC man for most of my career).

Yeah, me too, but further back that that too, DEC minis as well.

Including a full OS for the PDP-9, very similar in concept
to what later showed up as TSX for the PDP-11.

Did a fancy screen editor for the 11 in Teco too,
one of the world's classic write only languages.

Mostly from the hardware / support POV than design
as such (although I have done a bit of mix_n_match).

I did both, everything from PDP-8s thru to Vaxes and
all the PCs etc and stuff like VIC-20s and C64s etc and
mainframes as well.

[...]

Not since a kid.

I cant anymore, smashed my kneecap so that leg doesn't bend
as well as it would need to anymore. Fine for walking tho.

[1] A tiler, here to do another role spotted my tiling and asked who
did it? I said 'me' and he added 'nice job but I bet that took you a
while?' (It took me whatever time it took to do a 'nice job'). ;-)

I did find it hilarious when the local council told the builders in
my town to look at how I had done the reinforcing mesh for the
concrete slab for the house, because that's how it should be done.

WEG, Yup, it's nice when that happens eh. ;-)

I just did it the way its sposed to be done with bar chairs holding
the mesh up so it ends up at the right level in the concrete.

Seems 'sensible' to me?

Yeah, tho its not hard to **** it up with the level the mesh ends up at.

The bar chairs don't cost much. Bit of a nuisance to wire them in tho.
There's fancy gadgets that twist the wire auto when you pull on them.

The local builders don't bother with them and just hook the
mesh up with a long metal hook thing as the concrete is
poured. The council hates that approach because they can't
check what height the mesh is hooked up to at pour time.

Nope.

I know if I did a good job or not, I don't need anyone to tell me that.

Like I said before, I wasn't talking about 'need'.

I don't care if it happens or not.

[2] And I don't just mean some patch of tarmac behind
an industrial estate, I'm talking a proper (say) skate park,
properly manned and maintained.

We don't man ours. The only one of ours that's manned is the pool.

Maybe if there were any big / professional grade places that were big
enough to attract plenty of people then it might not need manning.
Over here there is often plenty of bullying / crime going on in the
smaller places so the nice kids keep away.

Don't get that much here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote
T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote
T i m wrote

snip

I cant think for the life of me whats an appropriate
label for the buttons that button that is the stopwatch
button and the one that lets you supply a number
of minutes before hitting the button.

I can think of a label, a bull**** button. I've never in my life partially
read such utter ********. Actually, if anyone has the staying power to
completely read such drivel they should get the gold medal. You should go
see someone, wodney. It's hilarious but also embarrassing.

snip

--
They all laughed when I said I wanted to be a comedian, they're not laughing
now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 08:15:52 +0000, Huge wrote:

On 2012-08-04, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

It's not politically correct to support shooting.

True. He did mention the loss of funding but didn't (in the interview)
say who pulled it.

Motor racing is/will be next to be politically incorrect!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
Motor racing is/will be next to be politically incorrect!

It hasn't been for years.

If athletics were like motor sport, you'd allow a horse to race against a
human. But advertise that horse as a human.

--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 10:44:39 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
Motor racing is/will be next to be politically incorrect!

It hasn't been for years.

If athletics were like motor sport, you'd allow a horse to race against
a human. But advertise that horse as a human.

That was really a comment on Huge's predilections..

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2012 18:52, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

I'd keep kicking myself for wasting any time at all at something like
that, looking at fools that had mostly spent a significant part of their
pathetically inadequate 'lives' qualifying to even show up there.

I wouldn't put it quite like that as I think it's up to each person to
decide and do what they want, what they have to, what they like or
what they are good at, even if that means just staring at the moon.

I think the whole thought of putting up something like the Olympics is
all a bit bizarre. What actually is it? It's a competition between a
tiny minority of the population who are interested in those particular
things and can be bothered (or get the opportunity) to do it (and as
you say, 'dedicate their lives to it' in many cases). So?

+1

The Olympics have in fact been very well organised, but that is neither
here nor there. I have no objection to them taking place, even, except
that no public money should have been involved and there should not have
been any races on the public highway.

I quite like the idea of events like that taking place on public roads -
it would be even better if we could stage a Monaco style grand prix.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Town centre cycling events are great (criteriums). Fantastic for
spectators.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
GB wrote:
On 04/08/2012 21:16, ARWadsworth wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
A painter and decorators daughter has a chance of gold tonight.
And she won it.with style.

Who is she?

She is not important:-)

Her dad is a painter and decorator and her mother is a social worker.

how on earth can anyone who has a social worker for a mum acheive anything?

treble respect!

SHE CAN PROBABLY SPELL ACHIEVE
Posted to uk.d-i-y

critcher wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
A painter and decorators daughter has a chance of gold
tonight.
And she won it.with style.

Who is she?

She is not important:-)

Her dad is a painter and decorator and her mother is a social
worker.

how on earth can anyone who has a social worker for a mum acheive
anything? treble respect!

SHE CAN PROBABLY SPELL ACHIEVE

Not on her CV.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , critcher writes
ARWadsworth wrote:
A painter and decorators daughter has a chance of gold tonight.
And she won it.with style.

Who is she?

She is not important:-)

Her dad is a painter and decorator and her mother is a social worker.

how on earth can anyone who has a social worker for a mum acheive anything?

treble respect!

SHE CAN PROBABLY SPELL ACHIEVE

And also prolly understands that use of capital letters is considered
impolite

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:
[...]

You might regret it if a certain whinging Aussie was sat next you in the
park

The odds of that happening however are lower than the Aussies beating the
Brits in the medal table.

My friend has just got back from watching a couple of events. He loved it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote
T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I'd keep kicking myself for wasting any time at all at something like
that, looking at fools that had mostly spent a significant part of their
pathetically inadequate 'lives' qualifying to even show up there.

I wouldn't put it quite like that as I think it's up to each person to
decide and do what they want, what they have to, what they like or
what they are good at, even if that means just staring at the moon.

I think the whole thought of putting up something like the Olympics is
all a bit bizarre. What actually is it? It's a competition between a
tiny minority of the population who are interested in those particular
things and can be bothered (or get the opportunity) to do it (and as
you say, 'dedicate their lives to it' in many cases). So?

+1

The Olympics have in fact been very well organised,

Nope, complete abortion with the number of seats empty in fact.

but that is neither here nor there. I have no objection to them taking
place, even,

I do if its my town that it happens in, because it ****s things up
so comprehensively for those not interested in the olympics.

except that no public money should have been involved

But nothing else is feasible given the cost of the venues alone.

and there should not have been any races on the public highway.

Or anywhere else that the public normally has free access to either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Tim Streater wrote
T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

LMFAO

TOT; Proud Dad! The Medway Handyman UK diy 9 November 19th 10 09:03 PM
TOT; Proud Dad! Jules[_2_] UK diy 0 December 1st 09 09:51 PM
TOT; Proud Dad! Steve Walker UK diy 0 December 1st 09 09:31 PM
TOT; Proud Dad! Lino expert UK diy 0 December 1st 09 07:51 PM
Proud of myself T.Alan Kraus Metalworking 17 January 27th 06 05:35 PM