Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Amish and OSB

On 05/08/2012 21:32, Nick Odell wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 19:51:55 +0100, SteveW
wrote:

On 04/08/2012 22:59, brass monkey wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
soup wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Happens with a power failure etc too, you can't do any work or
entertainment either.
And in that situation, at least I can read.

I tried reading by candlelight at the last power cut, I wish I had some
jelly to knit it would have been easier and less painful on the eyes.

I have a couple of rechargeable torches that are plugged into
the mains all the time and come on auto when the mains fails. They are
fine for reading by.

Blimey, it must happen a lot down there. All the powergen convicts go on
strike?

During the 70's and the regular powercuts due to strikes, we had a spare
car battery in the living room, along with a 12V lamp hung on the wall
and a 12V portable TV.

We'd just moved into our first house and after seeing to the
damp-proofing and the mains electrics were doing it up, room by room.
I took the opportunity to build in a 12v circuit with dual-voltage
caravan strip-light under the kitchen units and outlets for running
12v stuff off. We had a 12v B&W Indesit TV - ah: here it is:
http://tinyurl.com/d8yard9 Ours was White though.

Needless to say, once the 12v system was running sweetly, the power
cuts all stopped.

Nick

How long before they're back though?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Are you really dumb?
An eruv allows a large space to be "home".
Hence the horse doesn't know where its "home" is.
Hence the not to somewhere its never been to as it may well never have
been there or may just go to the wrong one.
Get it yet?

Can horses be of the Hebrew persuasion?

I wouldn't like to circumcise one!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

Too true. Maybe I should go and ask the present owners if they'll sell
me my old house back again? Or start browsing caravanning magazines
before I buy the next one.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"geoff" wrote in message

No dennis - WE were not talking about an eruf

well horses don't have homes either so that's you talking cr@p.

I wonder what stables are.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I just picked up a very decent hardly used at all
generator at one of the garage/yard sales for peanuts.

Bet we now wont have any power cuts at all
that last for more than a few seconds now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
SteveW wrote:
Can horses be of the Hebrew persuasion?

I wouldn't like to circumcise one!

The basic pay is poor but the tips enormous.

--
*What happens if you get scared half to death twice? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
dennis@home wrote:
Are you really dumb?
An eruv allows a large space to be "home".
Hence the horse doesn't know where its "home" is.
Hence the not to somewhere its never been to as it may well never
have been there or may just go to the wrong one.
Get it yet?

Can horses be of the Hebrew persuasion?

I've never actually looked to see if they're circumcised

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

No dennis - WE were not talking about an eruf

well horses don't have homes either so that's you talking cr@p.

FFS dense, can't you go out and get a job ?

There must be somebody in the west midlands that will employ you

Just because Marconi "let you go" doesn't mean you can't go for a change
in direction, ... refuse collector for example or you could collect
trolleys at one of the stores near you

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

No dennis - WE were not talking about an eruf

well horses don't have homes either so that's you talking cr@p.

I wonder what stables are.

Generally, the opposite of dense's state of mind

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

No dennis - WE were not talking about an eruf
well horses don't have homes either so that's you talking cr@p.

I wonder what stables are.

Generally, the opposite of dense's state of mind

That's a very acute point

I think the horse bolted after the stable door was opened.

And now he's one mare short of a nest.
Or one nest short of a mare.

De Denis, semper disputandum est.....

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

FFS dense, can't you go out and get a job ?

I don't work Sundays.
Why don't you and give us all a rest?

There must be somebody in the west midlands that will employ you

Just because Marconi "let you go" doesn't mean you can't go for a change
in direction,

Marconi let everyone go.
They no longer exist.
Some of us had the opportunity to go earlier and got 106 weeks pay to do so.

... refuse collector for example or you could collect trolleys at one of
the stores near you

I am quite happy with the job I have thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 07:59:05 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Marconi let everyone go.
They no longer exist.
Some of us had the opportunity to go earlier and got 106 weeks pay to do
so.

Obviously very anxious to get shot of you.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 4, 2:33*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote

Rod Speed wrote
wrote
Davey wrote:
polygonum wrote:
Surprised to see what looks very much like OSB lining
the Amish house on the program on BBC2 right now.
Not to mention the Fridge, the 'phone (in an outhouse!) and the solar
The Amish philosophy is not to adopt a technology just
for the sake of adopting a technology. If it is a
useful tool to accomplish the work they chose to do,
and not a frivoulous toy, then they will use it.
Its MUCH more complicated than that in practice.
That doesn't explain why they refuse to use an engine
in stuff as basic as a bike etc.
A telephone is a useful emergency communication device,
They don't just use the phone in the outhouse for emergencys.
And they'd be a lot better off with the phone in the house for emergencys
anyway.

Who's house,

The house where the emergency happens, stupid.

and why?

Even you can't actually be THAT stupid.

You obviously are.

We were talking about a single shared 'phone "...they'd be a lot
better off with *the* phone in the house...".

So, again, who should house it and how should they be chosen? Will
they mind being woken at all hours whenever someone else wants to use
the 'phone?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 4, 2:34*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote

Rod Speed wrote
Owain wrote
Davey *wrote
Always get the impression that anything less than two centuries old
(in technology terms) is too modern. But that is very likely based on
much ignorance.
Not to mention the Fridge, the 'phone (in an outhouse!) and the solar
panels.
At least they don't need GPS - the horse always knows the way home.
Not to somewhere its never been it doesn't.

Somewhere it's never been wouldn't be home.

Irrelevant to his claim that they don't need GPS.

You are irrelevant.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

FFS dense, can't you go out and get a job ?

I don't work Sundays.
Why don't you and give us all a rest?

There must be somebody in the west midlands that will employ you

Just because Marconi "let you go" doesn't mean you can't go for a
change in direction,

Marconi let everyone go.
They no longer exist.
Some of us had the opportunity to go earlier and got 106 weeks pay to do so.

... refuse collector for example or you could collect trolleys at one
of the stores near you

I am quite happy with the job I have thanks.

What job's that, dense?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 07:59:05 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Marconi let everyone go.
They no longer exist.
Some of us had the opportunity to go earlier and got 106 weeks pay to do
so.

Obviously very anxious to get shot of you.

.... Two years before everyone else

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

FFS dense, can't you go out and get a job ?

I don't work Sundays.
Why don't you and give us all a rest?

There must be somebody in the west midlands that will employ you

Just because Marconi "let you go" doesn't mean you can't go for a
change in direction,

Marconi let everyone go.
They no longer exist.
Some of us had the opportunity to go earlier and got 106 weeks pay to do so.

... refuse collector for example or you could collect trolleys at one
of the stores near you

I am quite happy with the job I have thanks.

Hairdresser on spaceship three ?

You see dense, if it was anything more than a crap job, you would have
told us of how you'd done this or that. As it is, you're very quiet
about it. How many broom heads have you got through?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

You see dense, if it was anything more than a crap job, you would have
told us of how you'd done this or that.

You just haven't been listening.

As it is, you're very quiet about it.

I'm always quiet, unlike you.

How many broom heads have you got through?

None yet, thanks.
Why don't you go on a hunger strike until I do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

You see dense, if it was anything more than a crap job, you would
have told us of how you'd done this or that.

You just haven't been listening.

As it is, you're very quiet about it.

I'm always quiet, unlike you.

Could you make that a promise

How many broom heads have you got through?

None yet, thanks.

Then you're a lazy ******* and should work harder

Why don't you go on a hunger strike until I do.

No particular desire to denso

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

You see dense, if it was anything more than a crap job, you would
have told us of how you'd done this or that.

You just haven't been listening.

As it is, you're very quiet about it.

I'm always quiet, unlike you.

It's amazing what you can learn from a whisper.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Aug 6, 8:55 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
It's amazing what you can learn from a whisper.

Was that when she told you that she loved you?

She has not yet said that.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in ...

Davey wrote:
polygonum wrote:
[...]

Whatever. The history of what was said is there for all to read. Apart
from those antipodeans lacking basic comprehension skills.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
polygonum wrote:
[...]

It is indeed, with you face down in the mud, as always.

O/T: Amish Elevator Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 2 May 5th 12 10:50 PM
The Amish are back....... gilb[_3_] Home Repair 16 July 3rd 09 07:23 PM
Amish Tom Watson Woodworking 12 October 10th 08 02:36 AM
Amish Plans [email protected] Woodworking 0 February 17th 06 02:42 AM