Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flat-screen TV - "temporary" wall mounting

A new tenant of mine has asked me if he can mount his large flatscreen
TV on the wall of my property. Up until now I've always resisted such
requests because I'm concerned about damage to the (solid brick) walls
caused by multiple drill holes - tenants tend to be fairly short-term so
I'd run the risk of completely honeycombed brickwork if a new mount gets
erected every year or so.

I've been mulling over a possible solution though that would keep both
tenants and me happy. They all seem to want to put the TV over the
fireplace (why?!?); so what I was wondering about was hacking back an
area of plaster to the brickwork, about 12" high x 18" long, and then
firmly attaching a matching rectangle of three-quarter-inch ply to the
brickwork, ie recessed into the plaster. Finish and paint to match the
walls (ie magnolia!). Tenant would then be free to screw his TV bracket
to the wooden panel; for any tenant without a bracket, the panel would
simply be concealed behind a 24" x 36" mirror which currently hangs there.

When the wooden panel is too riddled with holes for any more mounts to
be safely attached; then the idea would be just renew it (ie using the
same brickwork drill holes as before).

The only issue I can think of with this Cunning Plan is whether the
panel will be meaty enough to take the weight. Would three-quarter-inch
ply (what, 16mm thick in actuality?) be adequate? Would blockboard be
better/worse? Or maybe a couple of planks of solid timber?

The TV of the new tenant (not moved in yet) is apparently 49", which
sounds a bit heavy to me...

Any thoughts?
Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

I gave up on those, they just make my head hurt.

What about a decent wall mount that will take the largest
TV sold, which stays with the flat between tenants ?

Maybe unscrewed from the wall and retained when a
particular tenant doesn't want a wall mounted TV there ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
A new tenant of mine has asked me if he can mount his large flatscreen
TV on the wall of my property. Up until now I've always resisted such
requests because I'm concerned about damage to the (solid brick) walls
caused by multiple drill holes - tenants tend to be fairly short-term so
I'd run the risk of completely honeycombed brickwork if a new mount gets
erected every year or so.

Tell them if they do fit one the bracket complete must be left when they
move on. Your next tenant can then use it - TV sets have standard fixings.

However, if it's properly put up using Rawlbolts, it could be removed
easily with no damage to the wall.

--
*If you think this van is dirty, you should try having sex with the driver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

However, if it's properly put up using Rawlbolts, it could be removed
easily with no damage to the wall.

Do all fireplaces have the chimney part far enough back into the wall that
there's no risk of these rawlbolts puncturing the chimney? I mean, I know
the chimney appears to be towards the back of a grate, but do any of them
then open out into a chimney that's much further forward into the room than
you might expect?

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If its a Plasma you might have issues but otherwise unless its a militarised
design.. grin. I would reckon its fine.

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jeremy Nicoll - news posts" wrote
in message nvalid...
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

However, if it's properly put up using Rawlbolts, it could be removed
easily with no damage to the wall.

Do all fireplaces have the chimney part far enough back into the wall that
there's no risk of these rawlbolts puncturing the chimney? I mean, I
know
the chimney appears to be towards the back of a grate, but do any of them
then open out into a chimney that's much further forward into the room
than
you might expect?

If its a wall mounted gas fire it might have flu bricks/blocks above it, you
really can't drill them and not expect to have to repair it as they are
really thin walled
..
If its a proper chimney it will be at least one brick thick. That's deep
enough for a ~3.5" hole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tenant would then be free to screw his TV
bracket to the wooden panel;

Any thoughts?

Only one: how do you stop a tenant putting, say, M12 x 100mm expanding
bolts through the wooden panel into the bricks? Steel plate behind the
ply? (I'm not sure I'd be happy to trust to screws into 3/4" ply of
unknown provenance.)
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2012 23:41, Rod Speed wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the replies.

I quite like the idea of having my own 'standard' mount; but are they
all really the same size fitting? - ie would one suitable for the
forthcoming 49" monster also be suitable for a rather more modest 19" model?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lobster wrote

[...]

They are pretty close to standard now with most
TVs, particularly if you buy the right mount yourself.

The mount I have just bought for my PC monitors
does take any monitors with VESA standard mounting
holes, and it allows for both the common VESA sizes,
both 75mm and 100mm. Same is true for the best
TV wall mounts too with the standards that TVs use.

- ie would one suitable for the forthcoming 49" monster also be suitable
for a rather more modest 19" model?

If you buy the correct mount, yes.

And in the unlikely event that the new tenant does have
a TV which wont fit the mount you have carefully chosen
because it does take almost all flat TVs, they worst you
have to do is say no to that particular tenant or allow
them to use their own mount, so the worst you would
end up with is two sets of holes in the wall, not lots of them.

And there are plenty bigger than 49" too now as well.

They may not get used much by renters in flats tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
I quite like the idea of having my own 'standard' mount; but are they
all really the same size fitting? - ie would one suitable for the
forthcoming 49" monster also be suitable for a rather more modest 19"
model?

Yes - if you buy the right one. I recently fitted one for a pal and got it
from TLC. His set was a monster 55" or whatever, but it could have been
used with a smaller one. Not sure it would go as small as 19", though - do
they still make such a small size?

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 23:28:10 +0100, Lobster
wrote:

I've been mulling over a possible solution though that would keep both
tenants and me happy. They all seem to want to put the TV over the
fireplace (why?!?); so what I was wondering about was hacking back an
area of plaster to the brickwork, about 12" high x 18" long, and then
firmly attaching a matching rectangle of three-quarter-inch ply to the
brickwork, ie recessed into the plaster. Finish and paint to match the
walls (ie magnolia!). Tenant would then be free to screw his TV bracket
to the wooden panel; for any tenant without a bracket, the panel would
simply be concealed behind a 24" x 36" mirror which currently hangs there.

Or, put your ply up and hang a VESA bracket from it all ready for them
and subsequent tenants.
I looked at VESA brackets for my back rooom (TV's been happy enough on
its stand in another room), but decided I wasn't paying 30quid for a
few short bits of steel and plastic, so made my own out of a standoff
ply plate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

How about going a bit "retro" and fitting a solid picture rail round the
room. You could then hang a screen using wires from the rail.

Removes the need to make any holes in the wall and would be adaptable to
most sizes of screen.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 14:05:10 +0100, Tim
wrote:

How about going a bit "retro" and fitting a solid picture rail round the
room. You could then hang a screen using wires from the rail.

****ing Bingo!
Only needs a couple of 6mm bolts with hooks in the back of the set at
the top of the VESA holes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 16, 8:11*am, Lobster wrote:
I quite like the idea of having my own 'standard' mount; but are they
all really the same size fitting?

Two sizes cover pretty much everything, and most mounts have both sets
of holes.

Mounts are expensive in the shops, tuppence ha'penny from CPC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 16, 2:05*pm, Tim wrote:
How about going a bit "retro" and fitting a solid picture rail round the
room. *You could then hang a screen using wires from the rail.

BTDT (I'm trying to hang a digital sign on a listed building) -
didn't work.

The screen tipped too far forwards away from the wall. Would have been
OK for watching TV in bed, but as a screen for normal angles, it was a
failure. Even if I packed out the bottom, so as to get it upright, it
now sat too far out from the wall.

I'm now using a giant length of G rail, spanning the two spots where
I'm allowed to use already-existing rawlbolt holes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
Mounts are expensive in the shops, tuppence ha'penny from CPC.

I paid 30 quid from TLC. Much the same as the sheds. The set maker said
'you must use 'our' bracket' in the handbook - which cost over 100. And
John Lewis said they couldn't get it in the UK. But offered their own -
for much the same price.

These things are vastly over engineered for the relatively small weight of
a modern LCD set. It's the fixings to the wall which are more likely to be
the problem.

--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I wouldnt try that with the biggest plasmas.

Removes the need to make any holes in the wall
and would be adaptable to most sizes of screen.

Still think a screen mount that stays with the flat makes more sense.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
On Jul 15, 11:28 pm, Lobster wrote:
[...]

Make a VESA mount for the mirror to hide the bracket when there's no
TV :-)

Brilliant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote
Tim wrote

Nope. I wouldn't try hanging the ****ing great plasmas on any picture rail.

Only needs a couple of 6mm bolts with hooks in
the back of the set at the top of the VESA holes.

Likely to **** those holes because the load
isnt the way they are designed to take the load.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 17:53:35 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

These things are vastly over engineered for the relatively small weight of
a modern LCD set. It's the fixings to the wall which are more likely to be
the problem.

Fixings?
I ****'em, mate; made my own.
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...55220279_n.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
Mounts are expensive in the shops, tuppence ha'penny from CPC.

I paid 30 quid from TLC. Much the same as the sheds. The set maker said
'you must use 'our' bracket' in the handbook - which cost over 100. And
John Lewis said they couldn't get it in the UK. But offered their own -
for much the same price.

These things are vastly over engineered for the relatively small weight of
a modern LCD set. It's the fixings to the wall which are more likely to be
the problem.

I found Amazon a cheap source.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
I quite like the idea of having my own 'standard' mount; but are they
all really the same size fitting? - ie would one suitable for the
forthcoming 49" monster also be suitable for a rather more modest 19"
model?

Yes - if you buy the right one. I recently fitted one for a pal and got it
from TLC. His set was a monster 55" or whatever, but it could have been
used with a smaller one. Not sure it would go as small as 19", though - do
they still make such a small size?

The idea of fitting my own certainly appeals the more I think about it.

Just had a look here, though:
http://www.toptvmounts.co.uk/pages/which-mounts-will-fit-my-tv and it
appears that there are seven different VESA size mounts; and if you
click on each of the links provided, it seems that each one covers only
a relatively narrow band of TV sizes - obviously fine for a one-off TV
purchase, but doesn't look like it's much cop for my application, where
the TV size is a complete unknown.

One other issue - when mounting my own TV at home a while back, I
remember a caveat about only using the screws provided for fear of
damaging the TV internals/having the TV fall off if the screw length was
wrong. I guess the length is mainly TV-dependent, but that it could
still vary depending on the thickness of the mount. Again, not
something I'd be worried about for my own TV at home, but if I provide a
one-size-fits-all mount for a potentially dopey tenant to make use of, I
may be opening myself up to liability for a broken TV... Are fitting
screws usually provided with the TV or the mount?

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Are fitting
screws usually provided with the TV or the mount?

Often both. Some of the TVs I've played with have a blind thread for the
screws - so it's not possible to use too long ones and damage things.

--
*TEAMWORK...means never having to take all the blame yourself *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:51:12 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Are fitting
screws usually provided with the TV or the mount?

Often both. Some of the TVs I've played with have a blind thread for the
screws - so it's not possible to use too long ones and damage things.

Yep, on the back of mine it's blind holes about 10mm deep M6. Arranged
in a square 200mm apart on a side centre to centre. This is for a 32"
so I think that's the size that covers up to 40", afaik.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
In article ,
Lobster wrote:
[...]

It likely wouldn't be hard to do an adapter between the biggest VESA
mounts and the smallest, so you could have a mount that will take the
biggest TVs and use the adapter with the renters with the smallest TVs.

One other issue - when mounting my own TV at home a while back, I remember
a caveat about only using the screws provided for fear of damaging the TV
internals/having the TV fall off if the screw length was wrong.

Sounds like more of a protect your arse line than anything else.

I guess the length is mainly TV-dependent, but that it could still vary
depending on the thickness of the mount. Again, not something I'd be
worried about for my own TV at home, but if I provide a one-size-fits-all
mount for a potentially dopey tenant to make use of, I may be opening
myself up to liability for a broken TV...

Not if you tell them that they are only allowed to use your
mount and not to screw their own mount to your wall.

When they use your mount, the TV falling off that is still their problem.

Are fitting screws usually provided with the TV or the mount?

The mount.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

However, if it's properly put up using Rawlbolts, it could be removed
easily with no damage to the wall.

If you need to drill large diameter holes in masonary then it can be
best to start with a small hole and enlarge it. Also don't use hammer
unless you need to. A small drill bit is less likely to wander. If you
already have a 4mm hole then it can be very easy to enlarge it in 1 or
2 mm steps, even in fairly hard materials.

With Rawlbolts first make the hole big and deep enough to fit the
bolt then enlarge the first part of the hole to accomodate the shield.

e.g. with an M6 10L have a 6.5/7mm 55mm deep with the first 45mm expanded
to 12mm.

That way the shield should be unable to move forwards or backwards in the
hole whilst as much of the bolt which needs to being able to extend beyond
the shield. Without any possibility of the bolt "hitting bottom".

Ensure that the hole is free of dust. (Especially if the only practical
method of fixing is to put the shields in the holes separate from the
bolts.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
Tenant would then be free to screw his TV
bracket to the wooden panel;

Any thoughts?

Only one: how do you stop a tenant putting, say, M12 x 100mm expanding

Not sure anyone actually makes them in this size.

bolts through the wooden panel into the bricks? Steel plate behind the

If someone can can drill 20mm holes in plywood and masonary they are
unlikely to stopped by steel. Titanium or tungsten carbide is likely
to cost more than the eighth of a litre (or so) of mortar needed to
fill such holes.