Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default D-I-Y tubular bells - source of cheap pipe?

Hi all
I am wondering about becoming the scourge of my neighbours(*) and making
a garden set of tubular bells.

I'd like to find a source of suitable metal pipe. It should be:

- of decent diameter, say = 20mm
- non-rusting (within reason)
- cheap

Scaff pipe is a bit too hefty, and something like 28mm Cu pipe is a bit
pricy. Any thoughts about something in between? I'd probably need a bit
less than 10m.

(*) not really, it would only be for when the granddaughter came round...

Thanks
J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 22:13:04 +0100, The Night Tripper
wrote:

Hi all
I am wondering about becoming the scourge of my neighbours(*) and making
a garden set of tubular bells.

I'd like to find a source of suitable metal pipe. It should be:

- of decent diameter, say = 20mm
- non-rusting (within reason)
- cheap

Scaff pipe is a bit too hefty, and something like 28mm Cu pipe is a bit
pricy. Any thoughts about something in between? I'd probably need a bit
less than 10m.

(*) not really, it would only be for when the granddaughter came round...

Thanks
J^n

I am not sure if cu has a good ring to it.
What about something like cheap shower curtain pole or aluminium
aerial mast?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Night Tripper wrote:

Hi all
I am wondering about becoming the scourge of my neighbours(*) and
making a garden set of tubular bells.

I'd like to find a source of suitable metal pipe. It should be:

- of decent diameter, say = 20mm
- non-rusting (within reason)
- cheap

Scaff pipe is a bit too hefty, and something like 28mm Cu pipe is a
bit pricy. Any thoughts about something in between? I'd probably
need a bit less than 10m.

(*) not really, it would only be for when the granddaughter came
round...

Thanks
J^n

Make sure she knows about Mike Oldfield.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It's fine. I have a set hanging in my workshop that I made years ago from
standard 15mm copper pipe. The 'ring' sounds just like any such wind chimes.
If you want to protect the pipe from the elements, spray it with Halfords
clear lacquer. This is made for protecting ally wheel rims and the like.
It's a real easy spray can, cheap, quick drying, and very tough. I use it
for all sorts of oddball uses. My three tubes are 32 cm, 37 cm and 43 cm,
which gives that nice 'mournful' slightly off-key sound combination that
makes these chimes so endearing to everyone ... :-) Each tube is
suspended using a fishing line through a pair of 3 mm holes drilled straight
through about 7 mm from the top

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi all
I am wondering about becoming the scourge of my neighbours(*) and making
a garden set of tubular bells.

I'd like to find a source of suitable metal pipe. It should be:

- of decent diameter, say = 20mm
- non-rusting (within reason)
- cheap

Scaff pipe is a bit too hefty, and something like 28mm Cu pipe is a bit
pricy. Any thoughts about something in between? I'd probably need a bit
less than 10m.

(*) not really, it would only be for when the granddaughter came round...

Thanks
J^n

chromed steel pipe as used for some plumbing. But it ain't rustproofed.

brass is a possible.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

It's fine. I have a set hanging in my workshop that I made years ago from
standard 15mm copper pipe. The 'ring' sounds just like any such wind chimes.
If you want to protect the pipe from the elements, spray it with Halfords
clear lacquer. This is made for protecting ally wheel rims and the like.
It's a real easy spray can, cheap, quick drying, and very tough. I use it
for all sorts of oddball uses. My three tubes are 32 cm, 37 cm and 43 cm,
which gives that nice 'mournful' slightly off-key sound combination that
makes these chimes so endearing to everyone ... :-) Each tube is
suspended using a fishing line through a pair of 3 mm holes drilled straight
through about 7 mm from the top

There seems to be lots of info he

http://home.fuse.net/engineering/Chimes.htm

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 10, 12:04*am, Owain wrote:
steel electrical conduit

Conduit is usually rolled and welded, so it has a lumpy seam up one
side and sounds worse than most tubular bells. You want seamless
drawn.

I've generally used old bike frame, from scrapper bikes (either the
local dump, or the local race teams). A good steel tubeset (531 etc)
does give a "brighter" tone than a cheap bike. Titanium is good,
because it will anodise in the sort of lurid hippy colours that appeal
to the same people who like windchimes.

Bamboo windchimes sound distinctive and are made from high quality
large diameter bamboo. Such bamboo is best and most cheaply obtained
by buying windchimes, imported from China or Vietnam. They even cut
them to length for you. Make a new carrier for the top out of locally
grown timber and pass them off as local product.

Read some wind chime design theory (online) to get the lengths either
right and cheerfully hippy, mournfully Addams Family, or incredibly
grating and out of tune. If you don't like wind chimes now, just wait
until you hear a bad set.

Magnesium tube is best, because at least then the f*cker will burn
nicely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 01:27:05 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

It's fine. I have a set hanging in my workshop that I made years ago from
standard 15mm copper pipe. The 'ring' sounds just like any such wind chimes.
If you want to protect the pipe from the elements, spray it with Halfords
clear lacquer

Copper pipes as chimes outside these days wouldn't be there for long.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It's fine. I have a set hanging in my workshop that I made years ago from
standard 15mm copper pipe. The 'ring' sounds just like any such wind
chimes.
If you want to protect the pipe from the elements, spray it with Halfords
clear lacquer

Copper pipes as chimes outside these days wouldn't be there for long.

Don't really see why not. Three foot of 15mm copper pipe is hardly worth
nicking for the scrap value, is it ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It's fine. I have a set hanging in my workshop that I made years ago
from
standard 15mm copper pipe. The 'ring' sounds just like any such wind
chimes.
If you want to protect the pipe from the elements, spray it with
Halfords
clear lacquer

Copper pipes as chimes outside these days wouldn't be there for long.

Don't really see why not. Three foot of 15mm copper pipe is hardly worth
nicking for the scrap value, is it ?

doesn't matter - it takes 30 secs to nick and nets a couple of quid at
the scrappers.

Those pikeys nick anything that has metal in it.

Arfa

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi all
thansk for the many and varied responses...

For the record, I'm not making wind chimes, but something you have to
manually strike to make a sound. I like the idea of Alu Mast poles .. but
Andy Dingley's bike tubing sounds even better. If I hadn't scrapped my Bob
Jackson Super Tourist a while ago...

Will update you as the thing progresses...

Cheers
J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2012 22:13, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi all
I am wondering about becoming the scourge of my neighbours(*) and making
a garden set of tubular bells.

I'd like to find a source of suitable metal pipe. It should be:

- of decent diameter, say = 20mm
- non-rusting (within reason)
- cheap

Scaff pipe is a bit too hefty, and something like 28mm Cu pipe is a bit
pricy. Any thoughts about something in between? I'd probably need a bit
less than 10m.

(*) not really, it would only be for when the granddaughter came round...

Thanks
J^n

You need something sonorous ..that rules out scaffolding tube and copper
pipe.

Brass pipe might work ... chrome on brass towel rails for example ?

I have one I bought in Canada many years ago ... and it is some hard
aluminum alloy tube .. quite thin wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi all
I am wondering about becoming the scourge of my neighbours(*) and making
a garden set of tubular bells.

I'd like to find a source of suitable metal pipe. It should be:

- of decent diameter, say = 20mm
- non-rusting (within reason)
- cheap

Scaff pipe is a bit too hefty, and something like 28mm Cu pipe is a bit
pricy. Any thoughts about something in between? I'd probably need a bit
less than 10m.

(*) not really, it would only be for when the granddaughter came round...

We've got an almost-set of tubular bells in the orchestra. Almost-set
because somebody borrowed the low 'C' and never brought it back. They
are made of thick gauge 1.5" brass tube with a brass cap brazed onto
the top. They are very heavy too. Ours are heavily chrome plated. They
are suspended on multistrand steel cable - similar to bike brake cable
- which passes through holes drilled very near the top.

Out in the playground of a local primary school they have a much
simpler set. These look like white coated wardrobe rail which I
suspect is just steel tube with white PVC coating. They have no cap
and very little tone but the children find them enjoyable at playtime.
Incidentally they also have some suspended pots and pans - Google
cacerolazo to find out how much fun people have with those!

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The
Night Tripper writes
Hi all
thansk for the many and varied responses...

For the record, I'm not making wind chimes, but something you have to
manually strike to make a sound. I like the idea of Alu Mast poles .. but
Andy Dingley's bike tubing sounds even better. If I hadn't scrapped my Bob
Jackson Super Tourist a while ago...

Will update you as the thing progresses...

I put up the gazebo this afternoon (I just wand SOMEWHERE I can sit out
of the rain outside), £24 from Argos a couple of years ago

A lot of nice resonant steel tubing there

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , The Night
Tripper writes
Hi all
thansk for the many and varied responses...

For the record, I'm not making wind chimes, but something you have to
manually strike to make a sound. I like the idea of Alu Mast poles .. but
Andy Dingley's bike tubing sounds even better. If I hadn't scrapped my Bob
Jackson Super Tourist a while ago...

Will update you as the thing progresses...

I put up the gazebo this afternoon (I just wand SOMEWHERE I can sit out of
the rain outside), £24 from Argos a couple of years ago

A lot of nice resonant steel tubing there

--
geoff

*!#@ you're brave, Geoff. As I sit here in soggy Northants, it's ****ing
down outside, and blowing a gale. Are you relying on the weight of water
that soaks into the canvas, to hold it down ? :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

*!#@ you're brave, Geoff. As I sit here in soggy Northants, it's ****ing
down outside, and blowing a gale. Are you relying on the weight of water
that soaks into the canvas, to hold it down ? :-)

No he is using better canvas and has a swimming pool mounted on sticks, for
now.

Junior Member

Location: Shrewsbury

You could try a local aluminium stock holder. There are lots of different aluminium tubes available. Normally they stock 5m lengths, they might do 3m lengths.

Round Tube - LA Metals
__________________
BuyersAssistant.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , The
Night Tripper writes
Hi all
thansk for the many and varied responses...

For the record, I'm not making wind chimes, but something you have to
manually strike to make a sound. I like the idea of Alu Mast poles .. but
Andy Dingley's bike tubing sounds even better. If I hadn't scrapped my Bob
Jackson Super Tourist a while ago...

Will update you as the thing progresses...

I put up the gazebo this afternoon (I just wand SOMEWHERE I can sit
out of the rain outside), £24 from Argos a couple of years ago

A lot of nice resonant steel tubing there

-- geoff

*!#@ you're brave, Geoff. As I sit here in soggy Northants, it's
****ing down outside, and blowing a gale. Are you relying on the weight
of water that soaks into the canvas, to hold it down ? :-)

Well, ****ing down it is 100 miles south also, but I have a nice
sheltered garden with a couple of trees .

.... but I have a few square meters that are at least dry (even if I have
yet to pluck up the courage to go and sit out there)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to The Night Tripper, Old Basing Old Bloke wrote:
Did you actually make a set of tubular bells? If you have, well done. If not,
I made a set from 28mm copper pipe and they play quite well. They are a full 3
octaves from C2 @ 1331.1mm to C5 @ 479mm, and containing 37 chimes. They have
been in the garden for about 2 years, and because copper age hardens, the tone
has become progressively brighter.

I used about 30 metres of 28mm copper tubing at about £250, and about £50
worth of timber and various bits of hardware.
If you are interested in making one, I can give you the cutting and hanging
reference I used, and some photos as a guide.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...pe-819099-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Brian Gaff, Old Basing Old Bloke wrote:
Double glazing is a wonderful thing.
Anyway, soft wooden mallets are very quiet, I seldom use the hard plastic ones
which really do belt the sound out.
It is a nice simple toy for the grandchildren to play with.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...pe-819099-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2016 18:44, Old Basing Old Bloke wrote:
replying to The Night Tripper, Old Basing Old Bloke wrote:
Did you actually make a set of tubular bells? If you have, well done. If
not,
I made a set from 28mm copper pipe and they play quite well. They are a
full 3
octaves from C2 @ 1331.1mm to C5 @ 479mm, and containing 37 chimes.
They have
been in the garden for about 2 years, and because copper age hardens,
the tone
has become progressively brighter.
I used about 30 metres of 28mm copper tubing at about £250, and about £50
worth of timber and various bits of hardware. If you are interested in
making one, I can give you the cutting and hanging
reference I used, and some photos as a guide.

30 metres of 28 mm is now 134 plus vat from BES plumbing inc delivery.
very fast service and cheap on all plumbing type stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 24/11/2016 08:46, MrCheerful wrote:

30 metres of 28 mm is now 134 plus vat from BES plumbing inc delivery.
very fast service and cheap on all plumbing type stuff.

The timbre would depend on things like the seams. So, possibly the BES
stuff will sound different. Is wall thickness and metal composition
completely standardised? Is copper pipe really 100% copper?

I suppose that under (son of) DSR you can return it if it doesn't sound
right.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/16 11:53, GB wrote:
On 24/11/2016 08:46, MrCheerful wrote:

30 metres of 28 mm is now 134 plus vat from BES plumbing inc delivery.
very fast service and cheap on all plumbing type stuff.

The timbre would depend on things like the seams. So, possibly the BES
stuff will sound different. Is wall thickness and metal composition
completely standardised? Is copper pipe really 100% copper?

Nope. There are traces of other stuff in it, but it is overwhelmingly
copper.

I suppose that under (son of) DSR you can return it if it doesn't sound
right.

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 July 2012 22:13:04 UTC+1, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi all
I am wondering about becoming the scourge of my neighbours(*) and making
a garden set of tubular bells.

I'd like to find a source of suitable metal pipe. It should be:

- of decent diameter, say = 20mm
- non-rusting (within reason)
- cheap

Scaff pipe is a bit too hefty, and something like 28mm Cu pipe is a bit
pricy. Any thoughts about something in between? I'd probably need a bit
less than 10m.

(*) not really, it would only be for when the granddaughter came round...

Thanks
J^n

If you are in/near W Midlands, I have some surplus 28mm copper pipe.
Not sure how much, but a few meters

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Old Basing Old Bloke, Sk4rocks wrote:
Im making these for a school project. How did you calculate the notes and
make the structure for the tubular bells?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...pe-819099-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2018 18:44, Sk4rocks wrote:
replying to Old Basing Old Bloke, Sk4rocks wrote:
Im making these for a school project. How did you calculate the notes and
make the structure for the tubular bells?

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Tubular_bells/Construction/

The pitch in hertz is inversely proportional to the square of the length
which will give you some idea of teh range of lenghts you might need.

Here's a frequency table of notes to give you a general idea - but I
have no idea which scale tubular bells are tuned to.

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I made my set of tubular bells from 28mm cu pipe. Yes it was a bit pricey, but there is an old adage that says "The quality remains long after the price is forgotten". Mine has been there for over 6 years and is still going strong.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...pe-819099-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 2:15:06 PM UTC, Old Bloke wrote:
I made my set of tubular bells from 28mm cu pipe. Yes it was a bit pricey, but there is an old adage that says "The quality remains long after the price is forgotten". Mine has been there for over 6 years and is still going strong.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...pe-819099-.htm

I made mine from 15cm copper pipe, has been going for over 20 years with the occasional string replacement.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:
On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 2:15:06 PM UTC, Old Bloke wrote:
I made my set of tubular bells from 28mm cu pipe. Yes it was a bit pricey,

but there is an old adage that says "The quality remains long after the
price is forgotten". Mine has been there for over 6 years and is still
going strong.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...pe-819099-.htm

I made mine from 15cm copper pipe, has been going for over 20 years with
the occasional string replacement.

Wow, they must be low notes! ... or did you mean 15mm? :-)

--
Chris Green
·