DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   6 AA vs 8 AA (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/343401-re-6-aa-vs-8-aa.html)

Brian Gaff July 9th 12 08:24 AM

6 AA vs 8 AA

Almost certainly not.
There is always a slight risk, but many things that also work off car or
mains supplies are pretty accomodating on voltage. What they don't like is
reverse voltage and large spikes.

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jake" wrote in message
I have an electronic GPS datalogging device that is designed to be powered
through a 9v battery. It runs the battery down in about 2 hours, and
because it goes through batteries so quickly, I have been looking for
solutions to make it last longer

I have had success in replacing the 9v battery with a 6 AA battery holder
with attached 9v clip and this powers the device for significantly longer
with 2500 mAh rechargeables giving 7.2v.

I have seen 8 AA battery clips available, that would give me 9.6v but I am
concerned about overvolting and damaging the device. Is the extra 0.6v
likely to cause damage?