DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   domestic bathroom fan (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/343-domestic-bathroom-fan.html)

dave July 14th 03 10:45 PM

domestic bathroom fan

Having removed an overrun 4" bathroom extractor fan ( to be relocated
)i noticed that the earth wire had been left bare , unconnected ( no
position to connect it), and wraped around the outside sleeving. As i
intend on being a cheeky bugger and using the existing cable and set
up, i wondered if that was correct. It seems as if it was installed by
a qualified sparky as the quality of install was high, and also it was
a large-ish insurance job. And before you jump down my throat i'm
doing the work for myself.

David W.E. Roberts July 15th 03 12:45 PM

domestic bathroom fan

Fan should be double insulated so as you say noo need for earth.
I think you are supposed to cut back the exposed earth wire but I suspect
that what you had is safe enough as there is no exposed metal to touch the
earth.
I tend to cut back then wrap the end of the sheathing in insulating tape
just for extra safety.

om...

LOZ34 July 15th 03 10:44 PM

domestic bathroom fan

whilst the fan is double insulated the earth should be terminated into a
conector block so that it is available for testing purposes.

loz

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Fan should be double insulated so as you say noo need for earth.
I think you are supposed to cut back the exposed earth wire but I suspect
that what you had is safe enough as there is no exposed metal to touch the
earth.
I tend to cut back then wrap the end of the sheathing in insulating tape
just for extra safety.

om...

Simon Avery July 15th 03 11:56 PM

domestic bathroom fan

(dave) wrote:

Hello dave

d| Having removed an overrun 4" bathroom extractor fan ( to be
d| relocated )i noticed that the earth wire had been left bare
d| , unconnected ( no position to connect it), and wraped
d| around the outside sleeving. As i intend on being a cheeky
d| bugger and using the existing cable and set up, i wondered
d| if that was correct. It seems as if it was installed by a
d| qualified sparky as the quality of install was high, and
d| also it was a large-ish insurance job. And before you jump
d| down my throat i'm doing the work for myself.

Most of these are double insulated so no need to earth. The earth wire
should, iirc, be cut back neat - but I don't personally like that
method since it can rub against the other wires. I'd do as your bloke
did and leave it long, wrapping it around the outer sheath after using
a green and yellow sleeve over it. This is also handy if you do later
need an earth there and if it's been cut back it might be too short to
reach.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: